CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
l^l^lBGCock
jrussjr
COCKYTALKIN
gamecockgal
Clowneygotcha
eightohhthree
A. Pilgrim
ktguen
spareparts
Acock's Wrap Up: Geo (2215)
Elliott Fry crushes (2058)
No Gurley near the g (1547)
Tired of night games (1356)
Photos of fans befor (985)
20 of 31 former play (969)
The SEC East schedul (948)
Cooper (888)
Been a pleasure talk (750)
Coach Elliott pregam (732)
ECU fan here
Acock's Wrap Up: Georgia
A UGA fans view of the ga
Elliott Fry crushes Clems
Next years RB situation
Well, as it turns out, we
What the heck is up with
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
Luginbill says ECU should
Verne lundquist

Old 04-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material
Default Pricing home networking

We have ATT Uverse. I want to have them install Ethernet access in the walls. They said iit would be a 99 dollar technician charge and the $45 per wall Jack. I'm sure there would be an extra charge to have the two lines run upstairs but the Indian man on the phone was unable to tell me what it was. Anybody have any experience with that? I don't want to pay the 99 for the guy to come out and have him tell me an extra $200 or something
Old 04-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1706674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material
Default Re: Pricing home networking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
We have ATT Uverse. I want to have them install Ethernet access in the walls. They said iit would be a 99 dollar technician charge and the $45 per wall Jack. I'm sure there would be an extra charge to have the two lines run upstairs but the Indian man on the phone was unable to tell me what it was. Anybody have any experience with that? I don't want to pay the 99 for the guy to come out and have him tell me an extra $200 or something
why? wouldnt it be cheaper to install a wireless card or adapter in the devices you want wireless...

if you insist on going wired, is the home wired for phone? if so is there a phone jack in the locations you want ethernet availible? if so how old is the home and do you know how it was wired for communications?

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Buy a $50 Wifi router and call it done.

Or if you insist on hard wired - get a couple of ethernet-powerline adaptors. They turn your existing power wiring in your home into network wiring.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=1194444
Old 04-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Hard wired cat5/6e is WAY better than wireless for something like Uverse. The prices that you have been quoted actually very good for a run like that. Did they quote you to do wall drops that they have to fish through the wall or are they going to do baseboard through the floor? Either way you could not find a company to pull that small amount of cable for that price. It just wouldn't be worth it to them.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
Hard wired cat5/6e is WAY better than wireless for something like Uverse. The prices that you have been quoted actually very good for a run like that. Did they quote you to do wall drops that they have to fish through the wall or are they going to do baseboard through the floor? Either way you could not find a company to pull that small amount of cable for that price. It just wouldn't be worth it to them.
how so??? Uverse is the trade name for the service to the demarc...once to/thru the demarc (modem) the bandwidth will be shared depending on QoS criteria (or lack thereof) within the router/switch... the demarc/isp side should still be the "bottleneck" with a TOTAL bandwidth of whatever your service provider caps it at...5M,10M,40M whatever...then that bandwidth is shared by what ever devices you have tied back to it, physically or wirelessly. The medium your ISP uses to deliver your desired speed (part of the WAN side) has nothing to do with the LAN side (your network inside your house, whether wired, wireless, or any combination thereof)

I agree with you on the pricing btw...only thing I would have issue with is the "truck roll" charge if you are having 4 wires pulled...even including that tho, its not a bad price

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
how so??? Uverse is the trade name for the service to the demarc...once to/thru the demarc (modem) the bandwidth will be shared depending on QoS criteria (or lack thereof) within the router/switch... the demarc/isp side should still be the "bottleneck" with a TOTAL bandwidth of whatever your service provider caps it at...5M,10M,40M whatever...then that bandwidth is shared by what ever devices you have tied back to it, physically or wirelessly. The medium your ISP uses to deliver your desired speed (part of the WAN side) has nothing to do with the LAN side (your network inside your house, whether wired, wireless, or any combination thereof)

I agree with you on the pricing btw...only thing I would have issue with is the "truck roll" charge if you are having 4 wires pulled...even including that tho, its not a bad price
It more has to do with the menu's and navigation than the actual tv programming as far as the speed goes. I set up uverse at a buddies house and while it worked on his old G connection changing channels was painfully slow. I upgraded his router to a dual band wireless N with gigabit and it did improve on the wireless but still there was noticeable lag in changing the channels and getting channel info. After that I ran a few drops of Cat6 and put a gigabit switch in with his router and it made all of the difference in the world. The actual TV service will run fine on a 10/100 connection as I don't think a single HD stream even approaches that but when you start doing multiple streams and channel guide info etc it will bog down.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

Quote:
It more has to do with the menu's and navigation than the actual tv programming as far as the speed goes. I set up uverse at a buddies house and while it worked on his old G connection changing channels was painfully slow. I upgraded his router to a dual band wireless N with gigabit and it did improve on the wireless but still there was noticeable lag in changing the channels and getting channel info. After that I ran a few drops of Cat6 and put a gigabit switch in with his router and it made all of the difference in the world. The actual TV service will run fine on a 10/100 connection as I don't think a single HD stream even approaches that but when you start doing multiple streams and channel guide info etc it will bog down.
gotcha, didnt realize he was wiring for IPTV basicly, dont know what kind of bandwidth UVerse (TV) is using, but at my house, Netflix in super HD (true 1080P) is pulling a constant of about 5M when running, still not noticible when you are surfing on another device, unless you are trying to stream several Super HD streams at once

Old 04-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
SpuroftheMoment
4-Star

Male

SpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his comb

Quote:
I agree. Having been a telecom tech for over 15 years (not anymore) the price they quoted you was pretty good. I mean it's really not hard to actually pull the wire, but having to fish the walls is going to suck as is trying to get to your second floor. Unless you have a closet that is stacked on top of another closet on the second floor you are pretty much screwed. The suggestion of the powerline adapter is pretty cool - I had never seen those before. Although wireless should be just fine. There's really no reason to use a wired connection if you can get signal throughout your house. If you have a device that you need to connect that is not wireless then the powerline adapter would probably be a good solution. either that or find an adapter for the device if there is one. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
SpuroftheMoment
4-Star

Male

SpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his comb

Quote:
I thought that's what you were talking about, but I wasn't sure. And you're right, for that type of solution then yes the wired connection would be better. Although I don't know if that's what the OP was asking. I think he was just talking about networking devices liek laptops, tablets, DVD player, phones, etc, not necessarily TVs/boxes.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #11
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

florence...question about the install for the friend...he still had to have the Uverse device at every tv correct? just used twisted pair to deliver the bandwidth to that box? he wasnt able to directly connect the tv to the ethernet jack and watch tv that way was he?

Old 04-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

So op...whats the intended use of the ethernet jacks???

Old 04-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #13
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

CockyCash: 500
Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

Hot setup, if a two story house, or house with basement, is to have 1 hard wire in each floor. Use the wireless router at one level and a wireless access point at the other level. You'll just about never have any wireless throughput issues this way.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #14
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilson View Post
Hot setup, if a two story house, or house with basement, is to have 1 hard wire in each floor. Use the wireless router at one level and a wireless access point at the other level. You'll just about never have any wireless throughput issues this way.
shouldnt even need the wire on each floor...most decent ap/repeaters can handle multiple hops, if you are using decent equipment, using the standard (residential) ISP provided wireless solution as a starting point may leave a lot to be desired tho

Old 04-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #15
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

Quote:
shouldnt even need the wire on each floor...most decent ap/repeaters can handle multiple hops, if you are using decent equipment, using the standard (residential) ISP provided wireless solution as a starting point may leave a lot to be desired tho
Also spreads the bandwith usage over multiple wireless points. Add up the number of wireless devices you'll be using against the bandwith of any/all routers. Remember also, that wireless steps its speed up/down based on signal strength. Can't miss these steps if you want premium performance. All routers, switches, etc. really have 2 specs, the radio specs and the backbone specs as well.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #16
SpuroftheMoment
4-Star

Male

Quote:

Yeah unless you got some thick ass walls or traveling a long distance you shouldn't need an additional WAP.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #17
SpuroftheMoment
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilson View Post
Also spreads the bandwith usage over multiple wireless points. Add up the number of wireless devices you'll be using against the bandwith of any/all routers. Remember also, that wireless steps its speed up/down based on signal strength. Can't miss these steps if you want premium performance. All routers, switches, etc. really have 2 specs, the radio specs and the backbone specs as well.

Valid point. I guess it depends on how many devices he really plans on using at the same time.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #18
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Ok background on why I want this. The wireless access/modem is downstairs. I was going to just move it to my room upstairs but it has like 3 different connections into the wall and I don't have all of those in my room. I just built a gaming PC at a cost of like $1200 not counting monitor, keyboard, and mouse. With all of this money invested in my gaming rig it's very important to me that it has the best internet connection possible as I do play a variety of competive games (shooters, rts, etc). It would be a shame for me to have this beastly computer and then have my gaming hampered by the wireless. Networking your home also raises property value so I feel like it would be a good investment.

I just remember a while back I was going to have cable run upstairs in a place I was renting and when the tech got there he said it would be an extra $150 to fish the wire upstairs. If I'm doing 2 upstairs and the guy gets here and wants to charge an additional $300 that would be a problem.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #19
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Moving the computer is obviously not an option or I would have already done that.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #20
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuroftheMoment View Post
Yeah unless you got some thick ass walls or traveling a long distance you shouldn't need an additional WAP.
It's not just that. Remember, all these things are are fm radios. Lost of stuff can interfere with the signalling.