CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
eaglegolf018
Coulwoodwarlord
ReadR00ster
HelleraisingCock
SAETerrier
GamecockStud
bigdog2003
gamecock88
roosterdude21
JerseyBird
Larenz Bryant update (1468)
Joeckel Transfering (812)
UK's Whitlow to tran (618)
2016 - Greg Little (573)
Bamberg High School (406)
response from charte (402)
Victor Hampton Arres (382)
What type of snake i (339)
Wu Tang affiliated r (326)
13 Vintage Internet (182)
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Joeckel Transfering from
Attendance next season
2015 - Lorenzo Nunez
The case for Clowney at #
A'ja Wilson
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
Victor Hampton Arrested
Kelcy and Vic questioned
Where will we be preseaso

Old 04-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material
Default Film Breakdown of 2013 BBALL recruits

Start with Sindarius Thornwell-Sindarius is the most polished freshman coming in along with the most talented. He is the most gifted offensive player we have gotten since Devan Downey was on the squad. He is a slasher/cutter type scorer who is aggressive when going to the cup. He can a very fluid jumpshot and can score from the outside. Above average defender who uses his length to rebound. As far as potential goes, this is a slam dunk. Projected to start at the 3.

Demetrius Henry-at 6'9, he is as close to a sam muldrow clone as it gets. He deffinitely has the length that Sam had, and has a knack for blocking shots using his long arms. He also is a very solid rebounder and once he puts on weight will be hard to move off the block. Very cunning when it comes to footwork in the lane and is very good at the "up and under" move. Is a great finisher and can rise up and throw down with the best of them. Where he deffinitely favors Sam is shooting ability. Inside of 15 feet the man is money. He is deffinitely the best looking post man in the class and should contribute right away as a slightly undersized 5.

Tyrone Johnson (transfer)-I have a feeling that pretty soon his nickname will be "handles". There is a reason why this guy had a "mix tape". The man can break ankles and has great control. Is superb at pulling up off of the dribble. Has a sweet looking jump shot and can hit from outside. Can finish in the lane with the left or right hand. Got good size and can also throw down when given the opportunity. Once he is eligible in December, i fully believe he will be the point guard.

Desmond Ringer- Also at 6'9, he deffinitely has a bigger frame than Henry. He is already pretty physically mature, and is deffinitely the type of big man that Frank Martin wants. BIG and PHYSICAL. He is not flashy and will not blow you away with great shots or moves, but he finishes around the rim and can throw down. Rebounds are going to be his bread and butter but he can also score on the block. Excels in the pick and roll, and can also knock down free throws. I do believe he will end up taking the spot at the four from Carrera.

Justin Mckie- He is the ultimate team player. He doesn't do anything exceptional, but he does everything well. One of his best attributes is how he always seems to find the open man. Likes to create shots for his teammates off the dribble. Also, he always seems to find the soft part of the zone and loves to run the baseline and go up for the oop. Very solid offensive player and yes, he has a shot just like his dad. His defense is very good also. Will be a great contributor off the bench.

Duane Notice-The most underrated player in this class. He is a very physical point guard and is built just like (dont freak) Eric Smith. He runs like a "controlled" tank. He can deffinitely finish around the rim and has above average ball handling. He is a FEROCIOUS defender and tries to get the strip a lot. Is a solid shooter but needs to be more consistent on his shot. I honestly think this guy can come in a steal the 2 guard spot.

Jaylen Shaw-Very talented offensively. Has a Jamal Crawford like shot when pulling up for three or off the dribble. Defense has to improve however he is 100% effort. Solid ball handler and a very good ball handler. Just from knowing the kid personally growing up in the Pee Dee, i know he is a leader on and off the court. Should get solid playing time at the point.

Reggie Theus Jr.- Very, very raw. Has flashes of great talent, but very inconsistent. He doesn't pop off the screen and most of what he does is the small things. Hustle plays, rebounding, cleaning up on the offensive side. He can shoot a little bit, and plays hard on defense. Probably needs a redshirt year because i can't see him getting much burn behind all of the other guys.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
careyhhi
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 804
careyhhi has feathers coming incareyhhi has feathers coming in
Default Re: Film Breakdown of 2013 BBALL recruits

Why would Henry be the 5 and Ringer play 4 if Ringer is bigger than Henry?
careyhhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by careyhhi View Post
Why would Henry be the 5 and Ringer play 4 if Ringer is bigger than Henry?
hes thicker, but henry is a little longer which is what you look for. And ringer probably wont start off in the starting line up Mike will so Henry would be starting off at the 5
Old 04-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
carolina2010
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 756
carolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudly

B.J. Mckie has eligibility? Justin Mckie
carolina2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina2010 View Post
B.J. Mckie has eligibility? Justin Mckie
fixed. sorry. slipped up.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Thornwell and Henry are the gems.

Ringer is going to be very solid by the time he is a Jr. as will Ty Johnson. He was the saving grace, IMO. We desperately need a point guard. Yeah, he struggled at Nova as a freshman but a change of scenary can make all of the difference and he was a Top 50 guard coming out of high school. Its not like he is short on talent.

Notice has potential but I'm not convinced he can shoot. Seems like another Lakeem Jackson.

Shaw, McKie, and Theus were all reaches. More so Shaw and Theus than McKie. At least McKie was Gatorade POY. Also had to take McKie because he is a legacy and I think they panicked when they accepted Shaw's commitment. Not sure why they took Theus other than to fill a scholarship spot. All three guys should probably redshirt.

Seems to me they would've been better suited to keep several of Horn holdovers that were going to be seniors than sign McKie, Shaw, and Theus. That would've opened up 3 more scholarships for 2014 so Martin could bring in a class of Stroman, Peak, Buford, and 2 more.

Overall, not a bad class but still not quite where it needs to be. 2014, we have to get Buford and Peak to go along with Stroman.

I'm encouraged about where this program is heading. If we can keep Johnson, Thornwell, Henry, and Ringer in the program long enough for Stroman and (hopefully, fingers crossed) LJ Peak and PJ Dozier to get here .. we got a shot.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Good break down. I am pumped about the team's potential and the main thing we need are guys that HUSTLE and show EFFORT... a lot was lacking from this past squad. Martin should be able to coach em up if they are willing to buy into what he says.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockypanther View Post
Good break down. I am pumped about the team's potential and the main thing we need are guys that HUSTLE and show EFFORT... a lot was lacking from this past squad. Martin should be able to coach em up if they are willing to buy into what he says.

Also need some offense...in fact that's #1 on my list.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
cockypanther
Banned

Male

cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Also need some offense...in fact that's #1 on my list.
That too, but I'm counting on Thornwell for scoring. Much like KCP @ Georgia.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
That too, but I'm counting on Thornwell for scoring. Much like KCP @ Georgia.

Thornwell can definitely score although it's gonna take some time for him to get the college game down. I could see anywhere from 10-14 PPG for him next year.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Thanks for the breakdown, great info, as sad as I am for the kids that will be asked to leave I'm very excited for Coach Martin and the future of South Carolina Basketball. I wish nothing but success for the young men asked to transfer, Damien Leonard could have gone to almost any program in the South East and chose USC, some of the same folks throwing him under a bus begged him in the recruiting forum to be a GAMECOCK...just saying! I hope this is a glimpse of the recruiting success for the future, Peak, Dozier and Woods.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
MikeTrainNC8
Cock of the Walk

Male

CockyCash: 66034
MikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot material

No way Ringer starts at the 4, or even plays primarily at the 4.. especially if Henry is seeing alot of PT

Henry at the 4 (esp bc of his great touch), Ringer at the 5.. it's a no brainer

And honestly, I could see sThorn averaging nearly 20 a game on this team.. more an inditement on the lack of scoring talent
Old 04-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTrainNC8 View Post
No way Ringer starts at the 4, or even plays primarily at the 4.. especially if Henry is seeing alot of PT

And honestly, I could see sThorn averaging nearly 20 a game on this team.. more an inditement on the lack of scoring talent

What does Carrerra play?
Old 04-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
FilchCock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
FilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPit

Buddy of mine currently coaching college ball (who has also spent some time with Frank when he was on the recruiting trail) says that McKie is definitely an under-the-radar guy who people believe has a lot more potential than he is getting credit for.
FilchCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #15
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTrainNC8 View Post

To put those expectations in perspective, the leading scorer in the SEC last year averaged 19.7ppg and our leading scorer was at 11.6ppg.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #16
FilchCock
4-Star

Male

FilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPit

By the way, it seems more likely that neither will be a true 5 and that we will just play two athletic forwards. The amorphous style of play becoming more prevalent today makes it more important just to get your good, versatile athletes on the floor at the same time.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #17
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilchCock View Post
By the way, it seems more likely that neither will be a true 5 and that we will just play two athletic forwards. The amorphous style of play becoming more prevalent today makes it more important just to get your good, versatile athletes on the floor at the same time.
Agree .. its really a 2 Forward, 3 guard lineup.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #18
cockypanther
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
Thanks for the breakdown, great info, as sad as I am for the kids that will be asked to leave I'm very excited for Coach Martin and the future of South Carolina Basketball. I wish nothing but success for the young men asked to transfer, Damien Leonard could have gone to almost any program in the South East and chose USC, some of the same folks throwing him under a bus begged him in the recruiting forum to be a GAMECOCK...just saying! I hope this is a glimpse of the recruiting success for the future, Peak, Dozier and Woods.
It's really disappointing that Damien didn't develop at all. He didn't have the heart to play defense, not a good ball handler (i know this was not his forte to begin with), didn't seem to grasp ball movement and running set plays... he did however have a decent mid range jump shot.. he had some nice shots from the elbow where he would receive the pass, turn and nail about a 15-17 ft jumper.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #19
FilchCock
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Agree .. its really a 2 Forward, 3 guard lineup.
And I like it this way. There aren't very many talented big men in college hoops these days. The game favors versatility. Both Louisville and Michigan got to the ship only having three good big men between them.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #20
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
It's really disappointing that Damien didn't develop at all. He didn't have the heart to play defense, not a good ball handler (i know this was not his forte to begin with), didn't seem to grasp ball movement and running set plays... he did however have a decent mid range jump shot.. he had some nice shots from the elbow where he would receive the pass, turn and nail about a 15-17 ft jumper.
Damien seemed to regress as this season went along, I really think Gill and Harris leaving hurt him and his confidence as much as it hurt the program.