CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Gamecocks1137
The Yancey
aftertwobowls
Sandstorm29
GarnetSwarm1990
robgusc76
rioninusc
Regalcock
5lbYardcock
The Vent and Coachin (7958)
Disturbing comments (3117)
2015 schedule is bru (2337)
UF lets Durkin go (2063)
2015 Early Enrollees (1636)
**USC Women vs. Hamp (1082)
SOS...a day late &am (1066)
The U ends apparel d (708)
Bobo to Colorado St? (690)
Keeping it all in pe (379)
2014-15 Early Enrollees
2015 Commitment - Dexter
2015 schedule is brutal
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
2015 - Ulric Jones
2015 Commitment - Dante S
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
2015 Commitment - Sherrod
2015 Commitment - Ernest
QB Next Season?

Old 04-26-2013, 02:31 AM   #1
Schecter
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Schecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot material
Default Guitar Players.

So, this summer I'm wanting to invest in either a nice acoustic, or possibly a 7/8 string electric. I'd love to have a Martin, I've dreamed of having one since I picked up a guitar, but obviously a NICE acoustic is gonna cost me. On the other hand, i'm a metal player, I don't play acoustic THAT often. I'm thinking of a Schecter Blackjack or possibly and ESP or Ibanez. I'm kinda looking at the acoustic as an investment, something long term that I can always have. Opinions?

Also, if you play, what kind of guitar do you have?
Schecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:50 AM   #2
warriorchief
CT's 2x Favorite Tiger

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Favorite Non Gamecock Poster 
CockyCash: 1048000
warriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot material
Default Re: Guitar Players.

If you're going the acoustic route, and don't mind spending the cash for a good investment: Taylor. Hands down. I've played my buddy's, his bass player's, and a couple at his music shop. It plays... oh my god, like a damn dream. Amazing tone, crystal clear clarity with a set of Elixirs, and the playability is the best I've ever laid hands (well... fingers) on. My uncle has a Martin D-18 that he BABIES, and the Taylor plays circles around it. The build quality is top-notch. I've seen Warren knock his on mic stands, and it actually dropped once, and it's never had a single issue. Again, if you want to invest in one that'll last you damn near forever, there it is.

Me personally, I don't have the cash to drop on a Taylor, although I WILL own one eventually. I have a middle-of-the-road Washburn acoustic. It's a great acoustic for the price, and it sounds pretty awesome. It's perfect to sit around a fire with, practice in your room, or take somewhere to jam with buddies. Wish it had a pickup though, only downside to it.

My electric is a dirt cheap Dean Evo XM I've had for probably 8 years. Tuner heads buzz, pickups are muddy as hell, and the tone knob isn't exactly functioning. But I rarely play it, so it doesn't bother me too bad. I want the Schecter Damien Elite. Thought about the FR, but it's a pain to set up, I'm stuck with one tuning, and I'd rather not deal with the hassle. Either way it's a great guitar, plus it's got an EMG 81/85 setup. And my amp is a Line 6 Spider IV 75w.

warriorchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:59 AM   #3
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

I got a Fender CD140SCE Acoustic-Electric from Guitar Center(linked below) a couple of years ago because I was in a similar situation as you in that I play more electric and little acoustic, but wanted one for when I just wanted to play. It has served me well, and even though I'm not a major fan of the Fender brand, it is a really well made guitar. The reason I was drawn to it over some of the others is because it seems to have a harder/thicker body and that seems to help with more well-defined resonance[which is what I was going for]. It's listed at $299 now, so it's not terrible, but they also go on sale a good bit from what I recall. I got mine for $179, I think.
Here's the link to the acoustic:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-C...13-i1709798.gc

I also have an Ibanez RG-series and an Ibanez Artist electric series as well.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:00 AM   #4
Schecter
Banned

Male

Schecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorchief View Post
If you're going the acoustic route, and don't mind spending the cash for a good investment: Taylor. Hands down. I've played my buddy's, his bass player's, and a couple at his music shop. It plays... oh my god, like a damn dream. Amazing tone, crystal clear clarity with a set of Elixirs, and the playability is the best I've ever laid hands (well... fingers) on. My uncle has a Martin D-18 that he BABIES, and the Taylor plays circles around it. The build quality is top-notch. I've seen Warren knock his on mic stands, and it actually dropped once, and it's never had a single issue. Again, if you want to invest in one that'll last you damn near forever, there it is.

Me personally, I don't have the cash to drop on a Taylor, although I WILL own one eventually. I have a middle-of-the-road Washburn acoustic. It's a great acoustic for the price, and it sounds pretty awesome. It's perfect to sit around a fire with, practice in your room, or take somewhere to jam with buddies. Wish it had a pickup though, only downside to it.

My electric is a dirt cheap Dean Evo XM I've had for probably 8 years. Tuner heads buzz, pickups are muddy as hell, and the tone knob isn't exactly functioning. But I rarely play it, so it doesn't bother me too bad. I want the Schecter Damien Elite. Thought about the FR, but it's a pain to set up, I'm stuck with one tuning, and I'd rather not deal with the hassle. Either way it's a great guitar, plus it's got an EMG 81/85 setup. And my amp is a Line 6 Spider IV 75w.
Yeah my cousin has a 314ce, I love it. My brother has a 110, it's also pretty nice. If I get the acoustic it'll be a Martin or a Taylor. Whatever it is, it's gonna be a complete solid body, not just a solid top. I have a cheap Laguna acoustic that's, like you said, a pretty good guitar for the price. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone just starting out. But i've been playing for a few years and i'm ready for an upgrade.

Electrically I have a cheap Laguna(again) and a Schecter Hellraiser C-1(With EMG 81/89). I freaking love it, that's kinda why I want to stick with a Schecter, because it's my baby.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:08 AM   #5
Schecter
Banned

Male

This is all the guitars I currently own:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1(white)
Laguna LE200QBC(red)
Laguna LG300CEBKS(black acoustic)
and two Esteban guitars... from QVC... that are almost a joke they are so bad.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2013, 03:13 AM   #6
Schecter
Banned

Male

If I could have any electric, it'd probably be a Mayones.

and my dream acoustic would be a Martin HD-28.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:16 AM   #7
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schecter View Post
If I could have any electric, it'd probably be a Mayones.

daannnnnnnnnnggggggggg.... that is pretty sick
Old 04-26-2013, 03:18 AM   #8
Schecter
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalrush24 View Post
daannnnnnnnnnggggggggg.... that is pretty sick
Yeah, they make freaking pieces of art. Bands like Periphery, Red Seas Fire, and other "djent" type bands play them. You should go to their website if you wanna see some gorgeous guitars. The only problem is they are a few grand a piece, so I can't exactly afford one. I'm also probably not on the level to deserve one.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:30 AM   #9
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

Quote:
Yeah, they make freaking pieces of art. Bands like Periphery, Red Seas Fire, and other "djent" type bands play them. You should go to their website if you wanna see some gorgeous guitars. The only problem is they are a few grand a piece, so I can't exactly afford one. I'm also probably not on the level to deserve one.
I guess I've been out of the guitar scene a while. I used to know all this type of stuff but I've been slacking

Perhaps this is something I'm unconscionably doing for the sake of maintaining a healthy bank account
Old 04-26-2013, 03:33 AM   #10
Schecter
Banned

Male

Quote:
I guess I've been out of the guitar scene a while. I used to know all this type of stuff but I've been slacking

Perhaps this is something I'm unconscionably doing for the sake of maintaining a healthy bank account
If I had the money, I think i'd collect guitars. They are just awesome. I look at guys like John 5(Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie) who have a MASSIVE collection of Telecasters, and I can't imagine the coin that dude has dropped on them.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:33 AM   #11
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

But really though..

Just came across this beaut

Old 04-26-2013, 03:36 AM   #12
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

Quote:
If I had the money, I think i'd collect guitars. They are just awesome. I look at guys like John 5(Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie) who have a MASSIVE collection of Telecasters, and I can't imagine the coin that dude has dropped on them.
yeah, me either.. the idea of it might sound frivolous, but I mean, different guitars do different things, and that's how I would justify it

Also, they can appreciate in value, especially if you become famous, so there's that too
Old 04-26-2013, 03:39 AM   #13
Schecter
Banned

Male

Quote:
But really though..

Just came across this beaut

They are one of a kind. Another spectacular company is from the UK called Daemoness. This is one of his guitars that has Phillipians 4:13 as the inlay.

Others.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:43 AM   #14
Schecter
Banned

Male

Also, if you wanna know what a $115,000 guitar looks like. Here you go, the Martin D-100 Deluxe.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:49 AM   #15
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

Quote:
They are one of a kind. Another spectacular company is from the UK called Daemoness. This is one of his guitars that has Phillipians 4:13 as the inlay.

Others.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #16
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

You playing a Line 6?

Taylors are the current rage. Never really liked Martins...but certainly they have newer models that play better than what I tried many years ago.

If you get one that is easy to play, it'll be more fun and you'll play it. I've played a few cheap ones that played and sounded better than some more expensive ones...you'd be surprised. Really need to try these out in a store.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

I have this, http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-A...80-i1552010.gc, without the electronics. I says solid top, but it actually has a solid top, sides, and back. It's a solid body for less than a 1,000.
GoCCUChants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #18
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

My guitars:

Just picked up a cheap Ibanez bass as well. Thought it might be fun to learn to play.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #19
walk.daddy
sings for money

Male

CockyCash: 533
walk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot material

Not sure how to upload photos so this might be a bit of a f up.

I've got a Taylor 810 acoustic that I've recently had Taylor's expression system installed in and I love it! IMO Taylor is the premiere acoustic guitar maker and anything I've ever played of theirs has played the same from top to bottom. They are a little pricey but even their 100 and 200 series guitars are good acoustics.

As far as electrics go I own a Fender American Strat and a new Taylor Solidbody Standard(yeah I know, I'm a Taylor guy). I love all of my gear and don't plan on getting rid of any of it. I'm somewhat of a hoarder when it comes to instruments but I use them all at every show I play with the band and have found a place and use for all of it!

walk.daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #20
wncmountaincock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 758302
wncmountaincock is USC mascot materialwncmountaincock is USC mascot materialwncmountaincock is USC mascot materialwncmountaincock is USC mascot materialwncmountaincock is USC mascot materialwncmountaincock is USC mascot materialwncmountaincock is USC mascot materialwncmountaincock is USC mascot materialwncmountaincock is USC mascot materialwncmountaincock is USC mascot materialwncmountaincock is USC mascot material

Just an electric man myself. Right now I have an old 63 telecaster I play, but being an old school player, I of course want a Les Paul.
wncmountaincock is offline   Reply With Quote