CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
b381l
Regalcock
U-Dub Gamecock
mpilot0705
JerseyBird
catdaddy66
GregoryHouse
QCB
Storm Of Spurs
For Discussing The C (3464)
Drew Owens missing? (2483)
Question about after (2399)
Shaq Roland (1507)
Dylan Thompson surpa (1500)
clemson game time: N (992)
FishFry 47-yarder (772)
Tenn-Mizzou game (450)
Mason Rudolph starti (309)
UFC Fight Night 57: (293)
Dylan Thompson surpasses
The Defense
THE Vent and Coaching Cha
Question about after the
Na'ty Rogers
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,000
Senior Day RB Participant
2015 - Daniel Fennell
**USC vs. South Alabama G
Mason Rudolph starting fo

Old 04-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material
Default Gamecocks in 2014 NFL Draft

The story obviously begins with Clowney presumptively going #1 overall. Who else will we hear get called this time next year?

We only have 4 scholarship seniors, so starting there: Connor Shaw, Jimmy Legree, Chaz Sutton, Ronald Patrick (there's also a few walk-on seniors, but, not disrespect intended, those guys are very unlikely to be in the discussion).

Shaw's an intriguing guy that wins a lot, but you only a handful or two of quarterbacks get drafted a year, so this doesn't seem likely. I love Connor, but I don't see an NFL future for him.

Legree has lots of starting experience and has shown versatility having played safety and corner. He has average size at 6'0", 185 lbs. His production has been respectable in terms of tackles, pass breakups and interceptions at corner since he moved over last year. I think he projects better as a true corner than safety as an NFL prospect. With a great senior year, I could see him getting up to around a 5th round pick but more likely a late round pick or priority undrafted free agent.

Sutton is a really intriguing guy. He's been buried on the depth chart behind guys like Ingram, Taylor and Clowney until this year. He's been productive in limited snaps, but he's really going to have to be productive this year to have a shot. He has great size at 6'5" 265 lbs. I don't know his 40 time, but he certainly looks fast on the field bending the edge as a pass rusher. If he puts up 7+ sacks this season, I could see him as a 4th-5th round pick. Otherwise, I think he's a late-round pick. He could also be the type that shows up and puts up eye-popping numbers at the combine to boost his draft stock, though.

Ronald Patrick has good size for a guard at 6'2" 315 lbs. and he's really improved over the years here. I have a tough time predicting this one because I'm just not very good at grading out O-linemen. However, with another year progressing with his skill set, I could see Patrick as another Saturday pickup in the draft next year (4th-7th round).

Now, what about juniors that might choose to leave early (other than Clowney, obviously)?
I think the candidates (the ones who will at least think about it and get their draft grades after the season) are: Busta Anderson, AJ Cann, Vic Hampton, Kelcy Quarles, Corey Robinson, Cody Gibson.

You just don't see that many underclassmen O-linemen going into the draft, so I think we can throw that out. I had included them because I believe they are among out juniors that project best as NFL prospects in either 2014 or 2015.
If Busta has a HUGE year, he might think about it, but again you don't see many junior TE's go, so I think we'll probably see him for his senior year too.
Quarles could potentially project as a 3rd rounder after this year, I believe, but given his personality, I think he's the type that wants to stick around for his senior year, and I also think he could be a second round DT with two more good years.

That leaves Hampton as the last of these juniors I mentioned. I do see him leaving after this year if he has a good year, but mostly because of his background. And I won't blame him for it. Based on raw talent, I think he's a second round CB, but I think his character issues will likely make him a 3rd round pick. If he has a really productive year, though, he could be a 1st or 2nd round guy because of his raw talent and physicality.

Any players I left out that you think we'll be talking about after next season as leaving early?
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
CockyInSeattle
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
CockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPitCockyInSeattle rules the CockPit
Default Re: Gamecocks in 2014 NFL Draft

I think Sutton is going to have a breakout year. Offenses are going to be focused on Clowney, so it gives him a chance to be a monster on the other end.
CockyInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
lakefire
4-Star

Male

lakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via ICQ to lakefire Send a message via AIM to lakefire

I don't think Hampton has been anything but a model student athlete since his early mishaps.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:46 PM   #4
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Don't forget about AJ Cann....he will be eligible after the 2013 season and has been our best OL the last couple of years.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Clowney, Sutton, Hampton, AJ Cann will all be NFL players very soon. Legree definitely has a shot at going to the NFL too.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefire View Post
I don't think Hampton has been anything but a model student athlete since his early mishaps.
I think someone obviously got through to him.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

At this point I'd go:
Clowney #1
Quarles- late round pick
Hampton- mid round
Sutton- mid round
Legree- has a shot
Old 04-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material

Quarles will be gone in the first two rounds.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

this has Clowney (1) and Sutton (39) in the top 50 picks.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ro...50-draft-board
I could see AJ Cann and Kelcy Quarles going in the top 2 rounds. I think Legree, Hampton, and Anderson could easily go in the top 3 rounds.
JDRAY^# is offline   Reply With Quote