CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Regalcock
CockyLifer
JerseyBird
The Yancey
kingoftheroost
SMOTFS86
Gamecocks1137
catdaddy66
B-G
**USC vs. Coker GAME (2228)
Bruce!!! (1421)
2014 Subway Classic: (1226)
Cocky at the Duck Co (286)
Ali Hospitalized Wit (219)
aTm demolishes Kyle (201)
movers, furniture do (190)
Streaming nfl games (173)
Deer Hunting 2014 (171)
Happy Winter Solstic (125)
aTm demolishes Kyle Field
So, why is next year goin
**USC vs. Coker GAME Thre
Cocky at the Duck Command
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Former Gamecock rooting f
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
Bruce!!!
***2014 Carolina Panthers
How Long Will The Rebuild

Old 04-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
uga dawg
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
uga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudly
Default official UFC thread. (news, rumors, opinions)

just thought this would be an entertaining ongoing thread, for those of us who follow the promotion closely. post anything MMA related here.

the first topic I would like opinions on is George St Pierre, and his inability to finish fights over the last five years. before being knocked out by Matt Serra, he would finish fights the majority of the time. after the lose, I feel as though he now just "fights not to lose" instead of going for the stoppage. I despise having a champion who can not finish fights. I know its impossible to finish them all, but no finishes in over 5 years is pitiful.

there are some other champions in the same boat. Ben Henderson and Dominick Cruz also rarely finish anymore. Thoughts?
uga dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material
Default Re: official UFC thread. (news, rumors, opinions)

I think that holding a belt does change how you look at each fight/opponent. It is safer to out-point the other guy and not risk a reckless move that could finish him but could also result in the champ being stopped. I agree that we would all like to see some finished fights by the GSP we once new.

The average fan doesn't usually have the knowledge or patience to tolerate these technical fights but as a former wrestler I love the ground game! The techniques used are often subtle and escapes the notice of most people watching.

I look at non finishes as more technique to appreciate and as more punishment heaped upon hated fighters!
Old 04-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
uga dawg
Banned

Male

uga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy66 View Post
I think that holding a belt does change how you look at each fight/opponent. It is safer to out-point the other guy and not risk a reckless move that could finish him but could also result in the champ being stopped. I agree that we would all like to see some finished fights by the GSP we once new.

The average fan doesn't usually have the knowledge or patience to tolerate these technical fights but as a former wrestler I love the ground game! The techniques used are often subtle and escapes the notice of most people watching.

I look at non finishes as more technique to appreciate and as more punishment heaped upon hated fighters!
I agree that the wrestling is a great mix in the world of MMA, but the way some use it, will start to kill the sport for new fans. it shouldn't be used as a "safehaven" to keep from taking damage. it should be used as a way to set things up, or a way to keep opponents guessing, "takedown or just changing levels".

simply put, I love the wrestling as long as its used the way Chael Sonnen, Dan Henderson, or Randy Couture use it. get you down, and then proceed to beat your ass with relentless pressure, and break you. not take you down, and lay and pray, with just enough activity to keep the ref from standing the fight up.

I would love to see the UFC start using "the yellow cards" that Pride once used. if a fighter was stalling the action, flip the yellow card on him, and take away some of his prize money. would put a stop to some of this lame decision crap.

got no problem with a decision as long as the fight is good,(Dan Henderson vs Shogun"). however, this "hold you down til the last round is over" crap is getting old.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
uga dawg
Banned

Male

who are your favorite, or is your favorite, fighters?

I had been a BJ Penn fan since he fought Jens Pulver the first time. however, since it appears he may be done fighting, I have had to pick up another fighter.

looks like it will be Machida and Gustaffson for me.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
RebelGamecockfan09
Runnin round

Male

CockyCash: 1225
RebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his comb

I don't understand why GSP is being asked to change his winning ways in order to satisfy the common fan?? that would be like asking a football team to change their offense so that the other team has a better chance. I mean its boring, i get that.. but until somebody steps up and beats him, how can you complain?
Old 04-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
RebelGamecockfan09
Runnin round

Male

CockyCash: 1225
RebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by uga dawg View Post
who are your favorite, or is your favorite, fighters?

I had been a BJ Penn fan since he fought Jens Pulver the first time. however, since it appears he may be done fighting, I have had to pick up another fighter.

looks like it will be Machida and Gustaffson for me.
My favorites are Silva, Jones, Youshin Okami, Ben Henderson is pretty cool.. guess I like most of the current champions.. but i also like Johnny Hendrix... pissed about his last fight, Forrest Griffin. Pretty much any fighter that works hard and doesn't talk too much junk earns my respect... for that reason I can't stand Chael Sonnen.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
Cockykevin
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100200
Cockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Cockykevin

I was a huge Penn fan as well as Tito when younger. Now it's Cain, Pettis, Aldo, McDonald and Urijah
Cockykevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Old school UFC here... Tank Abbott, Randy Couture, Hendo...

New school UFC... Junior Dos Santos, Daniel Cormier, the Korean Zombie Dong Hyun Kim
Old 04-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
Cockykevin
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100200
Cockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Cockykevin

How Hendo does amazes me. How about that gnarly big toe last night?
Cockykevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

Interesting salary info for UFC 159...

Attendance: 15,227
Gate: $2,700,000
Michael Bisping: $425,000 ($275,000 to show, $150,000 win bonus)
Jon Jones: $400,000
Pat Healy: $152,500 ($17,500 to show, $5,000 win bonus, $65,000 Fight of the Night bonus, $65,000 Submission of the Night bonus)
Roy Nelson: $113,000 ($24,000 to show, $24,000 win bonus, $65,000 Knockout of the Night bonus)
Jim Miller: $106,000 ($41,000 to show, $65,000 Fight of the Night bonus)
Cheick Kongo: $70,000
Phil Davis: $60,000 ($30,000 to show, $30,000 win bonus)
Chael Sonnen: $50,000
Alan Belcher: $37,000
Ovince St. Preux: $34,000 ($17,000 to show, $17,000 win bonus)
Cody McKenzie: $20,000 ($10,000 to show, $10,000 win bonus)
Leonard Garcia: $20,000
Rustam Khabilov: $16,000 ($8,000 to show, $8,000 win bonus)
Bryan Caraway: $16,000($8,000 to show, $8,000 win bonus)
Steven Siler: $16,000 ($8,000 to show, $8,000 win bonus)
Sara McMann: $12,000 ($6,000 to show, $6,000 win bonus)
Gian Villante: $12,000
Vinny Magalhaes: $8,000
Johnny Bedford: $8,000
Yancy Medeiros: $6,000
Sheila Gaff: $6,000
Kurt Holobaugh: $6,000
Old 04-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
Schecter
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Schecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot material

Didn't Jon Jones restrain some guy who robbed a lady before one of his fights?
Schecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
rolinb1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1310176
rolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot material

as good as Chael is at promoting he should of had a bigger pay day than that...even though he got his..
Old 04-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
RudeCock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 250000
RudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schecter View Post
Didn't Jon Jones restrain some guy who robbed a lady before one of his fights?
Yes.

http://www.fightertrends.com/mma-new...efore-ufc-128/
Old 04-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #14
Grit_And_Steel
Not The Average Cracker

Male

CockyCash: 200400
Grit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy66 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelGamecockfan09 View Post
I don't understand why GSP is being asked to change his winning ways in order to satisfy the common fan?? that would be like asking a football team to change their offense so that the other team has a better chance. I mean its boring, i get that.. but until somebody steps up and beats him, how can you complain?
I already knew your thoughts on this subject catdaddy, but it's good to see that we are not the only ones who feel the same way!
Old 04-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #15
uga dawg
Banned

Male

at this point in gsp career, he is not "beating" anyone, he's simply outscoring people to retain the belt. The best thing for his career would be to lose the belt, and have to work back to a title shot. The hunger that would create in him would bring back the finishds. I like him, but he has got to the point of not even being able to finish a ham sammich.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #16
Jim Lahey
I'm on the white liqour

Male

CockyCash: 1000700
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Looking forward to Velasquez vs Dos Santos 2. Other than that, I'd like to see gsp fight Anderson Silva. I know they are different weight classes and it probably wont happen. But it needs to happen. To me, the UFC has gotten watered down and boring.

Lim Jahey! Pleased to meet you, bud!
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #17
bertoholic
THAT Damn Good

Male

CockyCash: 14152650
bertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot material

I'm wondering if someone will go down in the JDSvHunt fight. It will be a slugfest.

If you don't know now you know....
bertoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #18
Stonecoldcock
Starter

CockyCash: 20001160
Stonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uga dawg View Post
at this point in gsp career, he is not "beating" anyone, he's simply outscoring people to retain the belt. The best thing for his career would be to lose the belt, and have to work back to a title shot. The hunger that would create in him would bring back the finishds. I like him, but he has got to the point of not even being able to finish a ham sammich.
Don't underestimate GSP's appeal and image as one of the top pound for pound fighters in the world, and being unbeatable. If he loses, then he loses a lot of marketability and his value goes down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit_And_Steel View Post
I already knew your thoughts on this subject catdaddy, but it's good to see that we are not the only ones who feel the same way!
Former wrestler here too, and I think there's a big difference between the appreciation level of people who have experience in different mixed martial arts and the casual fan. I understand if they want to make more money and the grow the sport, you have to appeal to the casual fans, and that means more knockouts, more submissions, and they do everything they can to promote and encourage the fighters to do this. I love seeing the knockouts and submissions as much as the next guy, but I can appreciate and love watching a technical fight where two guys are pretty even, and it goes the distance. But yes, nobody likes watching two heavyweights lay on top of each other and do nothing.
Stonecoldcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #19
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoholic View Post
I'm wondering if someone will go down in the JDSvHunt fight. It will be a slugfest.
Very likely! HWT's go the distance in only 30% of their bouts, so we have a 70% chance of someone getting KTFO'd!!!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #20
uga dawg
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoholic View Post

I'm hoping Hunt will wade in and hit that reset button for Jr, but I feel we may see a replay of JR vs Big Country. Jr will be the faster more crisp boxer, and will try to wear Hunt down early, and go for a finsih late in the fight. can't wait for that fight!