CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
auslander
sanford
ccured
Spurticus
MWard
Acockolypse Now
El Cid Ranger
donbgamecock
The Yancey
Cockhornleghorn
Green and Lammons (2938)
Stephen Garcia AMA o (1100)
COMCAST TO CARRY SEC (997)
ESPN Car wash Spurri (868)
Dawg DL man arrested (786)
Texags (755)
Comporium (736)
Georgia DE Jonathan (552)
Ace suspended 4 game (500)
Holy Hell, Indeed, S (350)
2015 - Zack Bailey
2015 - Brandon Sandifer
Top 10 Reasons Why Texas
watching the Alabama vs T
2014-2015 Men's Non Confe
Holy Hell, Indeed, SEC Ne
Ace suspended 4 games
Official WWE Thread
Stephen Garcia AMA on Red
Texags

Old 05-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default First Snake Sightings of 2013 .......

.... Boy did it get into high gear.

Saw four today around Columbia. 2 however were DOR. One of those
was Tough to see for me. It was a Large Eastern King Snake that had
just been run over with a few minutes time of when I passed it. The other
DOR was unrecognizable. HUGE snake. Had to be close to 4 1/2 feet long.
Probably a Black Snake but it had been run over so many times, positive
ID was impossible. ... Ran up on my first live Water Moccasine in the Wild
about two hours ago. Young adult about 2 feet long, but really thick
bodied snake. I got out to remove it from the road, and the thing curled
up and flashed the white of it's mouth .... COOL AS HELL !!! Bit at the
hook a couple of times before I got it up and off the road. .. The other
snake was a young black racer. Just caught a glimps of it crawing in the
grass about 2-3 minutes after I removed the Cottonmouth from the
road.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material
Default Re: First Snake Sightings of 2013 .......

Come on man, no pics?

Metalrush24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalrush24 View Post
Come on man, no pics?

Didn't have my camera with me.... Cell phone was out.

I usually carry a small digital camera with me to work for business
purposes, but haven't had it this year due to our two locations
merging. I'll have to start bringing it with me again just for Wildlife Photos.

Would love to have gotten a shot of that cottonmouth
Cocked and Loaded. That was Awesome !
Old 05-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Very Similar to the position and size of the snake in this photo.
It was crawling in the middle of the road, and when I got out of
the truck, it got into an "S" position like this... when I walked up to
it with the hook, it did this.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

Nice.. I haven't seen one do that in quite a while. Most of the moccasins I come across hightail it(Most of my encounters are in the swamp)

Old 05-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Killed a copperhead last week, guy was putting out pinestraw and it was in the bale got it out with a rake and killed it. Way too close to the building, surprise the guy didn't get tagged by him.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

CockyCash: 999762
bigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot material

Nice, I still haven't seen any this year. I did catch 3 scorpions at Lake Greenwood state park over the weekend.

bigdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

CockyCash: 26000805
RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to RGHoskins

I don't like this world anymore.

- Rick H-

Rest in Peace Jaymie, aka Feistyminx and C- Girl.
RGHoskins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
Killed a copperhead last week, guy was putting out pinestraw and it was in the bale got it out with a rake and killed it. Way too close to the building, surprise the guy didn't get tagged by him.
Copperheads have a really bad reputation for being mean / aggressive, but
are in fact, very passive and won't bite unless they are extremely provoked.

I've actually had people tell me they almost stepped directly on them and
didn't get bitten. The ones I see around here are quick to get the hell out
of dodge as soon as anything gets close to them. The moccasin today was
cool as hell. Rare to find those out in the open in the daylight like that.
It was near a swampy area and from the looks of it, it had just eaten
something fairly large. Was probably basking in the sun when I ran up
on it.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalrush24 View Post
Nice.. I haven't seen one do that in quite a while. Most of the moccasins I come across hightail it(Most of my encounters are in the swamp)
This one was near a small marshy looking area near the Water Treatment
plant off I-77. I see a LOT of snakes around there every year. All kinds.
Mostly Racers and Copperheads around there. Saw one pretty mangled
Moccasin last year. Looked like it had been eaten by a predator (Hawk,
Owl etc...) Today was the first Live one I've seen here in Columbia since I
moved here over ten years ago.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #11
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog2003 View Post
Nice, I still haven't seen any this year. I did catch 3 scorpions at Lake Greenwood state park over the weekend.
Snakes I have no problem with .... Scorpions and Spiders ... NO NO NO.
Don't want anything to do with those suckers.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
Schecter
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Schecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot material

I've seen my fair share of snakes(mostly small) while doing yardwork for my mom. As soon as one is spotted, my bitch switch gets turned on and I turn into a girl.
Schecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schecter View Post
I've seen my fair share of snakes(mostly small) while doing yardwork for my mom. As soon as one is spotted, my bitch switch gets turned on and I turn into a girl.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #14
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
This one was near a small marshy looking area near the Water Treatment
plant off I-77. I see a LOT of snakes around there every year. All kinds.
Mostly Racers and Copperheads around there. Saw one pretty mangled
Moccasin last year. Looked like it had been eaten by a predator (Hawk,
Owl etc...) Today was the first Live one I've seen here in Columbia since I
moved here over ten years ago
Wow, that is a bit surprising, though I guess that's normal due to the environment around here. I see them pretty often where I'm from(Savannah/HHI area) so I guess I'm just used to a prevalence of them.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #15
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:

on it.
Given that I work at a retirement home we can't afford to take any chances with all the senior citizens around. If it is out in the wild then I leave them alone but around buildings they got to go. When I was still in college I worked in the landscaping department and there was a copperhead on the sidewalk I split that bad boy with the push edger, that guy went flying through the air with the greatest of ease.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #16
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

I've seen a bunch of babies so far.

Can't tell one snake baby apart from another.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #17
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

bigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Snakes I have no problem with .... Scorpions and Spiders ... NO NO NO.
Don't want anything to do with those suckers.
I have two Emperor Scorpions I got at the last repticon. Neat little animals, plus, I like stuff that makes people ask why would you get that. Easy to keep, I took my 10 gallon from my sand boa that died, turned it on its side and made a front out of plexi glass to make a door to hold humidity in. 2 hide boxes, some fake plants, eco earth bedding, mist once or twice a day, and add some crickets in a few times a week.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #18
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

Quote:

on it.
My brother stepped about 4 inches away from one and it didn't bite him. I have picked them with a small stick supporting the head and me holding the tail and they seemed content. Copperheads are what most people getting into keeping venomous snakes start with due to the nature of them and the low chance of serious injury from a bite.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #19
Garnet girl
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 500500
Garnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot material

A huge black rat snake was in our garage last week. Later we watched him climb a tree and eat a Carolina wren sitting on her nest. Generally we do not kill non poisonous rat snakes because they eat the endless chipmunks in the upstate plus any rats, mice, etc. This guy came into the garage. He goes if we see him again because of that. He was easily six feet long.
A friend was on her computer last week and looked down to see a black snake beside her. We are wondering if the cool spring is sending them to warm concrete or inside.
Garnet girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #20
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

CockyCash: 26000805
RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to RGHoskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet girl View Post
A huge black rat snake was in our garage last week. Later we watched him climb a tree and eat a Carolina wren sitting on her nest. Generally we do not kill non poisonous rat snakes because they eat the endless chipmunks in the upstate plus any rats, mice, etc. This guy came into the garage. He goes if we see him again because of that. He was easily six feet long.
A friend was on her computer last week and looked down to see a black snake beside her. We are wondering if the cool spring is sending them to warm concrete or inside.
I want to move to New York City now.

- Rick H-

Rest in Peace Jaymie, aka Feistyminx and C- Girl.
RGHoskins is online now   Reply With Quote