CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
garnet_black215
Master Bedroom
GamecockSuperFan
WeStillOwnUSC
Gamecocks1137
MWard
nodnahs
Lonnie
CockyRyan
Clemson Recruiting.. (2122)
Gamecocks (-10.5) vs (1463)
Ranking the Opposing (1326)
Not a Rival.. (993)
Gamecock Coaches as (876)
Clowney Spares RB Bi (714)
NCAA Football 15 (497)
Hello Gamecocks! (364)
Marching band (364)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (280)
Clemson Recruiting...how
NCAA Football 15
Ced Cooper's 40 Time
2015 - Mon Denson
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Gurley or Davis
2015 - Nyheim Hines
Clowney Spares RB Big Hit
Galaxy vs Seatle
2015 - Ty'Son Williams

Old 05-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material
Default Thoughts on RB situation

I KNOW i will be in the minority and some people will think that it is blasphemy to even say this, but i think that Mike Davis will be a better COLLEGE RB that Marcus was. If you look at College ball, you have to have a second gear at every offensive position. And Marcus did not have that. Yes, he is arguably the best player ever to play here, but lets be serious, if he had Mike Davis' speed, his numbers would have been 10x better. Im not saying that Mike Davis is better talent wise, im just saying he is better suited for the college game. He gives us an extra dimension from the running game, he also has the shake and bake that Marcus Didnt really have. Again. I have all the respect and admiration in the world for Marcus. But be unbiased. And Think about this. What say you?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
lakemurraycock
Blue Chip

CockyCash: 357
lakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudly
Default Re: Thoughts on RB situation

I say we will see. Those are big shoes to fill and exceed.
lakemurraycock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Mechanical Cock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Mechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudlyMechanical Cock is crowing loudly

I hope to god he shatters every record Marcus has...and the good news is he will get every opportunity to prove what you think.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Need to see MD's pass blocking and catching out of the back field.

Hope MD has a huge career here and in the pros.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Marcus was just naturally gifted with some of the best field vision and balance I have ever seen. Not the fastest or most powerful but quick enough with the excellent vision and cutting ability.

Yea Davis may be more physically gifted being quicker and faster in the open field but he doesn't have the vision Marcus has. I think he will be great this year. Seems durable too.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
clemsux614
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 375
clemsux614 is developing his combclemsux614 is developing his combclemsux614 is developing his combclemsux614 is developing his combclemsux614 is developing his combclemsux614 is developing his combclemsux614 is developing his combclemsux614 is developing his combclemsux614 is developing his combclemsux614 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
Marcus was just naturally gifted with some of the best field vision and balance I have ever seen. Not the fastest or most powerful but quick enough with the excellent vision and cutting ability.

Yea Davis may be more physically gifted being quicker and faster in the open field but he doesn't have the vision Marcus has. I think he will be great this year. Seems durable too.
I agree with this completely! Marcus had some unbelievable vision. Some of the stuff he was able to see and some of the cutbacks he made were incredible! One of the best examples of this in my mind was that screen play against florida in 2010 that got us in field goal range to kick the field as time expired in the 1st half. On the same token Davis has the tools to be a great one as long as that pass blocking has been added to his game.
clemsux614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114408514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

I think mike davis might have a better career because we are a better team. The oline should be.improved and the passing game improved even the defense may improve.

His blocking and receiving abilities will probably never match marcus but few ever will.

As for running...who knows. So many teams completely game planned against marcus and he had to break so many tackles to get anywhere because they wanted garcia to have to make plays consistently.

I will say i am really high on Davis and thought he should have gotten much more work last year but i guess we kinda owed Kenny.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

I'm more concerned about baseball right now..............
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

The two are different styles of backs with different strengths. I certainly have high hopes for Davis, but Lattimore came out of the blocks his freshman year with a more complete game than any back I've seen. When Davis makes first down after first down when hit 5 yards short of the sticks, breaks it to daylight 6 or 7 times per game when the hole is clogged-up, picks up blitzes consistently, and buries teams in spite of a woefully underperforming passing game, I'll be delighted that he measures up.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #10
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

when healthy, marcus was one of the best rbs i have seen. the op is nuts.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #11
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Marcus got 90% of the carries for 3 years. Part of the reason for this, we didn't have anyone else that was close to his ability. Mike Davis, even if he becomes the starter which I believe will happen, is not likely to be a 90% back with Wilds, Williams, etc being behind him. They are much closer to his ability and skills. One knock that I have heard lately from several scouts, that Marcus runs a little to straight-up, while Davis will probably be more of a runner that runs closer to the ground....part of that of course is that he is shorter than Marcus. It will be interesting to see how this develops.
b381l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #12
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
when healthy, marcus was one of the best rbs i have seen. the op is nuts.
I would really have loved to see what Marcus could have done in 3 years if he had remained healthy and we had a really good OL in front of him. I think he could have run for 5,000 yards.
b381l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #13
CockOla
Game MVP

Male

CockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudly

Simply put, Marcus was special for us! If MD stays healthy and gets to be as effective as ML then the sky is the limit.
CockOla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #14
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

marcus did have make you miss ability it was just a lot more subtle and he was more of a one cut runner. certainly there were plenty of times last season where he made guys miss tackles in a phone booth.

i'd agree that mike may be capable of making more big plays though that remains to be seen. personally i wouldnt jump on the davis will be a more effective college back bandwagon. davis could certainly average more yards per carry, but is that a function of him being a better college back or the offense around him and the focus of the opposing defense being different.
crowcutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #15
lilhornet
Great to be a Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 25074528
lilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPit

Honestly, Marcus was the definition of a student athlete and was everything you wanted in a teammate and a player. He gave everything he had every single time he was on the field. He was never one to have the huge "breakout" plays but he was consistent and would pop a few every once in awhile. If Marcus was healthy and stayed all four years, there is no way he would leave w/o a heisman.

To answer the OP's question: Marcus is a special back and Mike has the potential to be but I believe they will be special in different ways.
lilhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:05 AM   #16
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I don't think he will leave here a better back than Marcus, but if our offensive line is better than he could be more productive at least in terms of yards. I don't think he ever gets as many TDs. Marcus was just so efficient at that and Davis only have 2 last year. He's way behind schedule in that department. And if Davis blows up the next couple of years, He'll probably leave early.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #17
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

I say 'Thank you Marcus', 'Show me, Mike', and 'Easy on the sauce, SGF'. LOL.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:24 AM   #18
Schecter
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Schecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post

Did you watch him play?
Schecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #19
CockySpaniel
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1918547116
CockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot material

Latti had the football smarts to make the most of what was there. Most RB.s/Kids get greedy and try to break big plays when more effective lanes are open.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #20
Glamcock
Recruit

Male

Glamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his comb

If Davis was better than Marcus, he would have gotten WAY more carries than he did last year. Marcus was quick, sudden, powerful, almost impossible to tackle, and a very smart, complete football player. It is absolutely nuts to think Davis will be better than him.

Davis does have more big play potential ,but Marcus got the tough yards so consistently, better than almost anyone I've ever seen. Davis is quick as a hiccup, as The HBC says, but he's not all that fast. Pretty fast, but nothing special. He's comparable to Ace.

You are not likely to see a back as good as Marcus again in your lifetime. Davis is a special runner. He is gifted, no doubt, but he's not Marcus.
Glamcock is offline   Reply With Quote