CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
kingoftheroost
Badazcock
thekob
cockfight21
ChickenButt
Ericvol2096
Cockypantherfan
GSC2013
gadeneer1986
Four UK Players Susp (1732)
400 pasing yards (705)
Nosovitch (689)
This program has no (583)
Funny? (553)
What fish do you eat (391)
KY Suspends 4 Player (384)
Zone Read Analysis w (363)
Thompson Has Neck In (298)
Would You Accept Lam (273)
Funny?
One dimensional QB
HBC Weekly Presser
Zone Read Analysis w/ 201
Middle-Earth: Shadow of M
Bad Week For Upstate Coac
Thoughts on the basketbal
10-2
Maty Mauk tries to take o
What fish do you eat

Old 05-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material
Default Racist Mt Dew Commercial

Here's a link to it. Pepsi is taking these down as fast as they can. Is it really racist though since the director is black and it was the goat who was guilty?

Anyway, it's definitely a weird commercial and not even funny.

http://jezebel.com/this-stupid-mount...cial-486208256
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material
Default Re: Racist Mt Dew Commercial

Of course it's racist ... if it was a lineup of all white biker gang dudes ... then it'd be ok.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
Transmaniacon
Any Major Dude

Male

CockyCash: 500
Transmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot material

I think one of the comments over there nails the way this has been misinterpreted. The entire point of the commercial is a satirical take on bias in the criminal justice system. Basically, the cops bring in 4 black guys who fit some stereotype and pressures the lady to pick one of them ("it's the one with the dew rag" while goat has no dew rag) when the goat is obviously the perp (why else bring a goat into the lineup?). I did find it a little funny, honestly, but I'm a sucker for talking goats.
Transmaniacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
TheMetal
Banned

Male

TheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I think one of the comments over there nails the way this has been misinterpreted. The entire point of the commercial is a satirical take on bias in the criminal justice system. Basically, the cops bring in 4 black guys who fit some stereotype and pressures the lady to pick one of them ("it's the one with the dew rag" while goat has no dew rag) when the goat is obviously the perp (why else bring a goat into the lineup?). I did find it a little funny, honestly, but I'm a sucker for talking goats.
Actually, the cop at one point says "its the one with four legs"

Tyler the Creator is an artist who makes his money by simply being purposefully offensive. The stuff he says is ridiculous and downright idiotic. Many people had a problem with this commercial also because it promotes violence towards women.
TheMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
Transmaniacon
Any Major Dude

Male

Transmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMetal View Post

Tyler the Creator is an artist who makes his money by simply being purposefully offensive. The stuff he says is ridiculous and downright idiotic. Many people had a problem with this commercial also because it promotes violence towards women.
I'm not defending it as tasteful or even effective. I just don't think it makes sense to call it racist. Insensitive? Perhaps. But, everything is insensitive if the audience is so determined to be hypersensitive and read broad social significance into every artistic decision. For instance, those who say that this "promotes" violence toward women simply because one of the story details includes a female victim of violence. Most stories are going to feature something relatively tragic or undesirable in some way. It is simply an effective way to set up drama or humor. But, I hope we're all grown up enough to realize depiction isn't the same as promotion.

The guys who made this may be deliberate offensive people, and I suppose that matters, but I still think we should dial down the manufactured outrage every time some piece of art doesn't perfectly reflect our ideal social conditions. Especially when there are obvious satirical intentions.
Transmaniacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
usc90grad
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Black guy creates racist commercial...gets tons of attention. Media shocked.
usc90grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I love those Whitney Houston and Taylor Swift goat videos on youtube.

gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Actually, I believe it's a play on words when he said "the one wearing the DEW rag" ... and the goat is wearing clothing, so he could be wearing a DEW rag around his neck.

It's a funny commercial that some people have to ruin because they think it attacks them. Again, if it was a line up of all white redneck biker gang looking guys ... NOBODY would say the first word.

It's not racist ...

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
USC girl
ᑕOᗰE ᗯITᕼ ᗰE ᑎOᗯ!!!!

Female

CockyCash: 85848102
USC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot material

I LOVE diet mountain dew.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #10
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

Just saying, it's not as bad as how sexist this Dr Pepper commercials are. Haha. "Dr Pepper. It's only for men"
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
usc90grad
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC girl View Post
I LOVE diet mountain dew.
Is awesome...drink a bottle every morning.
usc90grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMetal View Post

My son and his friends are listening to Tyler the Creator. You have nailed it when you state he is just trying to be offensive. I told them being profane simply because you can be is the opposite of creative. What a waste of digital space!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #13
GamecockMomSC
Sweet Carolina Girl

Female

CockyCash: 101194810
GamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot material

I miss the days when you could watch a commercial and immediately know what they were trying to sell you.
GamecockMomSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #14
cock13
An illusion, Michael

Male

CockyCash: 51250
cock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot material

Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
Actually, I believe it's a play on words when he said "the one wearing the DEW rag" ... and the goat is wearing clothing, so he could be wearing a DEW rag around his neck.

It's a funny commercial that some people have to ruin because they think it attacks them. Again, if it was a line up of all white redneck biker gang looking guys ... NOBODY would say the first word.

It's not racist ...

YES! WE ARE VICTIMS AS WHITE MALES! LIFE IN AMERICA IS NOT FAIR TO US! I FEEL VICTIMIZED BY ALL OF THIS!!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

CockyCash: 200
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

Alot of commercials are racy why are they acting like this is a first

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #16
Cockykevin
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100200
Cockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Cockykevin

Ya better not snitch on a playa
Cockykevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
uscgmck
Coming back home, one day

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material

I still prefer fainting goats.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #18
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

thought it could be racially offensive but not racist. it was offensive to domestic violence victims. could see it being racist to someone because there were no white guys in the lineup and there are definitely a lot of white domestic violence perps out there. but im sorry i thought it was funny. what ad agency hired this guy they knew he is offensive.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #19
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

It's Odd Future.

I dislike it because of the way it glorifies violence against women and the culture of violence. It has nothing to do with race.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #20
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

See...this is why I keep my talking goat on the back of my pick up truck...and if I ever had any indication that he got down off the truck and beat up a woman or even went to the carnival to ride the loop-de-loop, I would tell the goat to put up its dukes....