CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
Regalcock
JerseyBird
smoovecock
b381l
johnnyb
markymark550
RGHoskins
Constant Updates on (2842)
Brad Lawing (1783)
Alshon - Bose (1248)
Garcia vs Clemson To (1190)
How cool would it be (1063)
Carolina/Clemson gam (881)
Palmetto Bowl (797)
Chattanooga upends N (680)
NEW Pics from South (390)
Where to watch in Ar (260)
Constant Updates on Watso
Where to watch in Arlingt
Bowl projections
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
Carolina/Clemson game dre
How cool would it be to..
Chattanooga upends No. 4
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Palmetto Bowl

Old 05-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material
Default Penn State Question

Please leave any crude jokes out of this. I know all the stuff that happened at Penn State is crazy and disgusting, but this is about the current players. How good of a job did Bill O'Brien do in his first year? How good do you think they will be in the coming years and will their recruiting be able to maintain success. Finally, do you feel as though they should not have had a bowl ban?
My answers, i feel as though Bill O'Brien was the best coach in the country this year. The job he did was amazing. He got a group of players that could not play for anything but pride, play like a group with their hair on fire. Im not sure how they can sustain the recruiting they did this past year, because other players are going to want to play for a bowl and a championship. Finally, i do not feel like they should have had a postseason ban. They had nothing to do what happened, and i feel as though it was ridiculous that there was one in the first place.
What do you think?
Old 05-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Penn State Question

he did an a+job..they will compete well and go bowling.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

I think Penn State's name will be tainted for awhile. It will take them a long time to get back to recruiting the way they used to.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

I wish we would switch to that offense he runs up there.
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
Tim Taylor
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Tim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPit

They won't fall as much as ignorant, self-righteous people want them to and that's a good thing. These players didn't commit atrocities nor should they suffer for it. At least these freshmen coming in will get to play in a bowl in 4 years.
Tim Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
Tim Taylor
Banned

Male

Tim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockypanther View Post
I think Penn State's name will be tainted for awhile. It will take them a long time to get back to recruiting the way they used to.
Their recruiting is just fine. Hell it might go better now with new blood. JoePa was there forever, but O'Brien can say he coached in the NFL for one of their best franchises. He can sell them the NFL dream better than most coaches in the Big Ten.

Recruiting rankings for Penn State the last 5 years (from Rivals) starting with this past class working back:

So yeah there was some slippage the last two years, but that's with ESPN bashing the entire university endlessly (and foolishly) for the last two years. Whenever The Mothership finds other stories to fill their 96 hours a day of programming (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNEWS, AND ESPNU), Penn State will recover.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 30400
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

He did a good job especially considering the type of scandal it was.

As far as results, I liken it to what Lane Kiffen's Southern Cal teams did in 2010 and 2011.

Or what Urban Meyer did with Ohio State last season.

I would say that Bill O'Brien did a better job of getting his guys up to play every week (after the first two games) but I would still say there were other coaches who did better jobs last year that Bill did.

He has the program looking like it will be right up there in about five or six years though if this year was any indication of working under adversity.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

he did a great job considering what he had to deal with, also gets big ups for staying when ppl were trying to lure him away....i mean, its just nice to see a guy who practices what he preached to those kids

in the next few years i see them struggling b/c of their sanctions but if Penn St sticks with him, which they most likely will, then I can see them being nationally prominent again
Old 05-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

As long as Penn State boosters/alum keep spending money, they'll be fine.
Sure they can't go to a bowl another 3 years, but this is a massive, nationally relevant program, this isn't SMU.
They won't slip as far as some people think, people just like to say that because they dislike the program and the BigTen.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
NJCocky14
Recruit

Male

NJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervous

O'Brien did a great job, no doubt.

I still think Penn State got what they deserved though. Regardless of what you think of the whole situation, several of the top university officials and football coaches either covered for a pedophile or did nothing to stop it. This is undeniable at this point. I don't understand how any rational person could possibly debate this. With that said, he continued to use the facilities and brought children to practices as recently as a couple weeks before the story became public. We could debate forever about why this happened and was allowed to continue. Although we'll never know for sure, I think a big reason they never did anything was to protect the image of the university and the football program. In my opinion, the NCAA got it right when they said it was due to the culture of the football program.

It sucks for the kids there now because they obviously had nothing to do with it. However, the NCAA clearly doesn't care about that. USC got hammered because of the whole Reggie Bush situation. Matt Barkley and the other players had nothing to do with that, yet no one was complaining when they got sanctions. Same with Ohio State. The actions of a few ruin it for everyone. That's just how it goes.
NJCocky14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:13 AM   #11
Tim Taylor
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCocky14 View Post
O'Brien did a great job, no doubt.

I still think Penn State got what they deserved though. Regardless of what you think of the whole situation, several of the top university officials and football coaches either covered for a pedophile or did nothing to stop it. This is undeniable at this point. I don't understand how any rational person could possibly debate this. With that said, he continued to use the facilities and brought children to practices as recently as a couple weeks before the story became public. We could debate forever about why this happened and was allowed to continue. Although we'll never know for sure, I think a big reason they never did anything was to protect the image of the university and the football program. In my opinion, the NCAA got it right when they said it was due to the culture of the football program.

It sucks for the kids there now because they obviously had nothing to do with it. However, the NCAA clearly doesn't care about that. USC got hammered because of the whole Reggie Bush situation. Matt Barkley and the other players had nothing to do with that, yet no one was complaining when they got sanctions. Same with Ohio State. The actions of a few ruin it for everyone. That's just how it goes.
The NCAA has no business handing out punishments for criminal matters. They had no jurisdiction in this situation. No NCAA rules were violated. Not only that, but it was the way the punishment was dealt. Emmert just said **** it, this is what I think the punishment should be, no precedent or reason needed.

As a fan of a college football program, you should be worried. I am. He basically laid the groundwork to become a college sports dictator. The sooner the moneymakers of college sports tell the NCAA to **** off, the better.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #12
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Taylor View Post
The NCAA has no business handing out punishments for criminal matters. They had no jurisdiction in this situation. No NCAA rules were violated. Not only that, but it was the way the punishment was dealt. Emmert just said **** it, this is what I think the punishment should be, no precedent or reason needed.

As a fan of a college football program, you should be worried. I am. He basically laid the groundwork to become a college sports dictator. The sooner the moneymakers of college sports tell the NCAA to **** off, the better.
You must be a PSU alum, eh tool man.... Or a troll?
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #13
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

the people in charge put football above the welfare of children. im for laying down the hammer to make sure no program makes that mistake again.

i do commend o'brien and the players for having a good season despite having every excuse in the world not to play well. with the scholarships lost they are going to have to be nearly perfect in their evaluations, find some difference makers, and get lucky with some walkons who can contribute.

i did love how their 2011 all big ten rb silas redd transferred to southern cal and his replacement at penn state ran for more yards.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly

I think Penn State deserved what they got. Their administration displayed a lack of institutional control, when their athletics department was covering up child molestation to protect it's football program.
SirBigSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #15
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

They were 8-4, 1-1 against ranked teams (or 1-2 if you count ohio state.) They were an average football team. They had a lot of things going against them that they (the program) got themselves into, so I don't think they did anything spectacular. It's like Parcell's says, "you are what your record says your are." 8-4 is good, but not spectacular.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #16
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

I think he did a great job, but the true test will come this year and next now that some of those players who had talent are gone. Not exactly ready to annoint him yet, but if they go 8-4 average over the next two years, I would say thats a good job.

Its also all relative. I dont think Penn State was poised to be 11-1 or 12-0 without scandal, so if they were were 9 win team to begin with, then O'Brien keeping them at 8 wins with the scandal is a damn good job.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #17
TheMetal
Banned

Male

TheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Taylor View Post
So yeah there was some slippage the last two years, but that's with ESPN bashing the entire university endlessly (and foolishly) for the last two years.
It was the biggest sports story of the year. ESPN's coverage was accurate and fair game.
TheMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #18
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

One thing I disagree with is the whole "football culture" argument.
Let's be honest here, football comes first before everything at many large programs, and these punishments aren't going to stop year programs from that line of thinking.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote