CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
catdaddy66
Thenardier
G&B
b381l
spareparts
sporkgod50
ReadR00ster
GoldenSpur7
usc1
Gyle41386
Ole Miss Projected R (590)
Sunday college footb (534)
So who was the dude (514)
Early Pre-Season wom (509)
Kentucky Inmate Star (506)
Acock reviews the SE (481)
Tennessee hires Donn (447)
Get the SEC Network (447)
2001 vs Sandstorm (394)
Does anyone have a l (265)
HTC One 2 (M8)
2001 vs Sandstorm
Tennessee hires Donnie Ty
Name a Gamecock
**USC vs. Davidson GAME T
Victor Hampton Arrested
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
2015 - Nyheim Hines
Ole Miss Projected RT Sta
Kelcy and Vic questioned

Old 05-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
superfly
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material
Default The SEC app for the SEC Network ?

I put this here because football has made this network possible. There are articles floating that cable and satellite services will soon be a thing of the past. The internet is going to provide apps for digital broadcasts that can be purchased for free but with a subscription cost much on the line of Netflix. You can choose the channels you wish to subscribe to and cherry pick your entertainment. They used HBO vs Netflix and the 7.99 cost vs a 100.00 cable bill plus the extra cost of HBO for an example. This way you get the channel and the contents at a flat rate monthly fee on top of your internet service cost. It is going to happen. ESPN and most others already have on the "to go" apps. Sounds like a Cable or satellite package deal may not be totally the thing of the future anyway. Thoughts ?
Old 05-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 9505802
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material
Default Re: The SEC app for the SEC Network ?

I have roadrunner turbo. one dvr, and one digital box, and pay $160/month!

I'd love to be able to pay for just want I want...... and get rid of all the "crap".....
Old 05-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

I hope so. That is the future. CableTV will be around for a while. Bit sooner or later they will go the way of newspapers.

I already cut the cable and its possible, though a pain in the rear, to get live sports on-line.

I would gladly pay ESPN (for example) 100 bucks or so to be able to watch all their College Football games per season via ESPN3 without restrictions or balck-outs.

But they don't offer that so I find alternatives.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
RudeCock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 250000
RudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot material

Yep, my uverse internet, home phone and 300 channels rose to just over $200 a month. I bought a cell reception extender, got rid of my home phone and dropped to 200 channels and should cut about 54 dollars off my bill. I would still like to get it down more. If Netflix streaming had the titles that their DVD database has, I would hit that up, it's not expansive enough IMO to be a major player for me yet.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
roosterdave
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
roosterdave is developing his combroosterdave is developing his combroosterdave is developing his combroosterdave is developing his combroosterdave is developing his combroosterdave is developing his combroosterdave is developing his combroosterdave is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
I put this here because football has made this network possible. There are articles floating that cable and satellite services will soon be a thing of the past. The internet is going to provide apps for digital broadcasts that can be purchased for free but with a subscription cost much on the line of Netflix. You can choose the channels you wish to subscribe to and cherry pick your entertainment. They used HBO vs Netflix and the 7.99 cost vs a 100.00 cable bill plus the extra cost of HBO for an example. This way you get the channel and the contents at a flat rate monthly fee on top of your internet service cost. It is going to happen. ESPN and most others already have on the "to go" apps. Sounds like a Cable or satellite package deal may not be totally the thing of the future anyway. Thoughts ?
Very tue. Although I think there will be a ton of hoops to jump through so it could be a while before this happens. I would gladly pay a smaller flat fee for my choice of broadcast.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
dumpyloser
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 994
dumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talons

As one poster suggested already, its going to happen eventually but I would say much further out than some people think. Not everyone has capable internet connections, smart tvs, nice computers etc. Where I'm moving I can't even get cable or dsl internet. And even on 30 mbps charter connection I still get some buffering on live feeds some times. Technology is almost there but not quite ready for this to be the main source of media. And remember some older people do good to operate a even a digital cable box.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #7
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

i dont see the tv industry letting that happen unless flats will be able to bluetooth a laptop or ipad signal. i mean, technology is great, but when it comes to watching sports i want a big screen.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
superfly
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
i dont see the tv industry letting that happen unless flats will be able to bluetooth a laptop or ipad signal. i mean, technology is great, but when it comes to watching sports i want a big screen.
I can connect my tablet to my big screen now. I watch netflix from my PC also connected to my 31 inch in my bedroom and smart TV's hav builtin internet. The technology is already there and the revenue base is there.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #9
carolina_corpsman
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
carolina_corpsman is making other chickens nervouscarolina_corpsman is making other chickens nervouscarolina_corpsman is making other chickens nervouscarolina_corpsman is making other chickens nervouscarolina_corpsman is making other chickens nervouscarolina_corpsman is making other chickens nervouscarolina_corpsman is making other chickens nervous

Out here (near Seattle) I have Comcast, 45 channels and 50 mb internet. Unfortunately the tv channels are just news and a few popular channel but no sports so I'll need to stream them. Sucks, but cable/internet bill is under $60

Posted from Cockytalk.com App for Android
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:15 AM   #10
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

I'm all for simplicity combined with a low price.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
pimpingamecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 350
pimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPit

It will be a while before the days of cable and Sat. are gone as a service. The amount of bandwidth needed for these services is tremendous. As of 2012, netflix accounted for almost 30% of all internet traffic, Youtube was at 13%. Companies have begun test marketing caps placed on the amount of internet usage, the same as they have done now with cell phones. The market might alter itself to meet some of those needs, but don't think you'll get it at the unlimited usage for bandwidth that you do now.

Newer technologies might resolve some of this, but it will be slow in it's migration.

Sandvine: Netflix up to 29 percent of North American internet traffic, YouTube is fast on the rise
pimpingamecock is offline   Reply With Quote