CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Order 66
johnnyb
QCB
markp_vip
ChickenButt
taylorssc
Gamecocks321
l^l^lBGCock
NAGamecockFan
So Disappointed With (3244)
No Comments on the H (1174)
Call of Duty: Advanc (343)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (272)
Freshman ND WR " (234)
Vote For Cocky (156)
Things They Should H (144)
Keeping tailgate foo (126)
Good Riddance to bad (108)
An A to Z of Noah We (57)
Which loss hurt worse, Mi
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
So Disappointed With The
BAW
Who start on the d line t
Texas athletic director:
The Gator Bowl wants us!
Call of Duty: Advanced Wa
No Comments on the Holes?
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me

Old 05-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material
Default Wedding attire help? Where to buy suit?

I haven't attended a wedding since I moved to Tampa 2 years ago...and probably a good while before that. My dress code at work isn't a suit & tie atmosphere...so I don't own a good suit. The only one I have is worn out and I have owned it for 10 years...faded and a little ragged.

Where should I buy a suit at for a good value and what is "in" these days for wedding attire? I don't want to spend $400+ on a suit that I will rarely wear. Is a khaki suit for summer weddings still okay?

Anything that looks dapper without breaking the bank? I have more of a stock frame than tall and thin, if that helps.

ColaCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material
Default Re: Wedding attire help? Where to buy suit?

Good deals can be found at Men's Wearhouse and Joseph A. Banks. They will also fill you in on what is what as far as fashion goes today.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Jos A Bank is probably going to give you the best deal. Suits are of middling quality but if you are not using it much then you should be good.

Tan or khaki can work for spring and summer weddings depending on the time of the wedding. I would likely go navy if it was an evening wedding in town. If the wedding is at the beach, a resort, or the country then go with tan/khaki. However, you will get more year round use out of a navy suit, so if you ponly want to add one suit to your closet - go with something dark. Gray is a good option too.

My wedding was in the mountains at a resort. Me ad all the groomsmen wore khaki suits.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
etowngangsta
Challenge accepted.

Male

CockyCash: 26065800
etowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot material

This would definitely work!

I agree with the other 2 posters. Can never go wrong with navy blue or black. Also, try belk, jcpenny or kohls.
etowngangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
Jos A Bank is probably going to give you the best deal. Suits are of middling quality but if you are not using it much then you should be good.

Tan or khaki can work for spring and summer weddings depending on the time of the wedding. I would likely go navy if it was an evening wedding in town. If the wedding is at the beach, a resort, or the country then go with tan/khaki. However, you will get more year round use out of a navy suit, so if you ponly want to add one suit to your closet - go with something dark. Gray is a good option too.

My wedding was in the mountains at a resort. Me ad all the groomsmen wore khaki suits.
I noticed you didn't recommend black as a color option...is that considered too business?

Can I get away with anything else beyond a suit? I don't think the wedding is very formal, although it is in a church...more casual I would say. However, I know the rule about rather being overdressed than underdressed.

ColaCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Jos A Banks - yes

Men's Warehouse - no...overpriced and they sell crap

And if you have a Belk local, try them. Great place to get a suit if you can find it on sale.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

If it is one time type of thing, you can get a decent suit at Kohl's

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

What time is the wedding? Nothing wrong with a nice seersucker suit to a wedding if its before 7 pm.
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Rob View Post
What time is the wedding? Nothing wrong with a nice seersucker suit to a wedding if its before 7 pm.
He forgot to mention that he's not a douche bag who desires to be ridiculed by all.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
TaterHater1984
The Original Tater Hater

Male

CockyCash: 100000
TaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to TaterHater1984

Jos A Bank is a great option. Quality stuff for a good price.

And yes, a khaki suit for a summer wedding is fine. Since it's a summer wedding, if you want to go a little cheaper than a fine suit and be more comfortable (and look better, IMO), get a tan linen suit. Match it with brown shoes, light blue shirt, and navy tie. Great look.
TaterHater1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
He forgot to mention that he's not a douche bag who desires to be ridiculed by all.
Thanks for weighing in! I usually rock it with a bow tie, in case you were wondering.
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
GotSpurrier82
Keeper of the Booze

Female

CockyCash: 10000322
GotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to GotSpurrier82

I agree with time of the wedding. Typically, the later in the day a wedding is, the fancier it'll be. If it's early in the day and extremely casual, khakis and a collared shirt should be just fine. May ask some of the wedding party what they would be okay with you wearing. If you have to wear a tie, please wear a real one, not a clip-on or bow tie.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

Unless otherwise noted on the invitation (ie black tie, or less formal), you should probably wear a suit. Not a shirt and tie, but a suit, complete with jacket. You can take the jacket off as soon as you get to the wedding and reception.

Cant go wrong with Banks, just dont pay full price. I own 9 suits from them. Of course my job requires a suit and tie. But I never paid over $200 for any given suit. And I travel 4 days a week and have never had issues with any. And some I've had for 8 years, so they last.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #14
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
I haven't attended a wedding since I moved to Tampa 2 years ago...and probably a good while before that. My dress code at work isn't a suit & tie atmosphere...so I don't own a good suit. The only one I have is worn out and I have owned it for 10 years...faded and a little ragged.

Where should I buy a suit at for a good value and what is "in" these days for wedding attire? I don't want to spend $400+ on a suit that I will rarely wear. Is a khaki suit for summer weddings still okay?

Anything that looks dapper without breaking the bank? I have more of a stock frame than tall and thin, if that helps.
In general I think every guy should have a black suit because you never know when you need one and you can wear one to anything. Anything but double-breasted would be fine.

If you choose not to do this, just go with darker colors since you mentioned having a stock frame. Pinstripes can make you look taller.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #15
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

CockyCash: 999762
bigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot material

Powder blue tux with tails and a top hat, the only way to go.

bigdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #16
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
I noticed you didn't recommend black as a color option...is that considered too business?

Can I get away with anything else beyond a suit? I don't think the wedding is very formal, although it is in a church...more casual I would say. However, I know the rule about rather being overdressed than underdressed.
It's a personl choice. For me black is a little harsh. Only black suit I own is a tuxedo.

Have to wear suits a fair amount for work. Own varying shades of grey and navy. Some with pinstripes, some solid.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #17
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

CockyCash: 26000805
RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to RGHoskins

- Rick H-

Rest in Peace Jaymie, aka Feistyminx and C- Girl.
RGHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #18
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Quote:
Older guys, like my dad, can pull off a seersucker and look good in it. But unless he wants everyone calling him Matlock, I wouldn't wear one.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #19
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Thanks for weighing in! I usually rock it with a bow tie, in case you were wondering.
Bless your heart.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #20
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Go to the salvation army and see what you can find. You might find you a nice suit and if it doesn't quite fit then take it some where and have it altered. I have a friend that wears a suit every day for work and he has bought several high dollar nice suits at the Goodwill.