CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
5lbYardcock
b381l
bigdog2003
GSC2013
StormOfTalons
18IsTheMan
evan_aggie
The Yancey
GH
Do we have any shot (2475)
Carolina opens -15.5 (1801)
What changes can and (1377)
(50 minute Replay) U (1316)
Shaw: Check Out This (1247)
Don't tell me we don (1191)
Gamecocks claimed an (1090)
Gamecock football Lo (973)
Tanner McEvoy should (904)
SOS Teleconference (859)
Connor Shaw Browns
Gamecock football Long Te
SOS Teleconference
Mike Davis "doubtful
who thinks we need a whol
Pirate Depth Chart
Carolina opens -15.5
MLS almost ready for play
Japanese High School Base
My Observations About USC

Old 05-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material
Default Best Situation for New SEC Coach

Interesting topic I heard debated on the radio this morning....

Of the four new hires in SEC football (Malzahn - Auburn, Bielema - Arky, Jones - UT, and Stoops - UK) which has the best situation TODAY. Not in 3 years, not who will do the best job, but who has the most to work with today?

I dont think any of these teams will be very good this year. Maybe Arkansas or Auburn has the best shot at being decent, but none will compete. UK may easily be in the worst spot. I saw UK's schedule...yikes (Florida, @SC, Alabama...)

Hell, why not add who do you think will be the best of the bunch in 5 years. If he stays, my answer is Butch Jones.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material
Default Re: Best Situation for New SEC Coach

Jones or Gus.

Even for me

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian

Last edited by I Bleed Garnet; 05-07-2013 at 10:42 AM.
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Right now - Bielema
5 years - think Jones and Bielema will be at about the same place
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 21358950
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Auburn is loaded with a ton of talent, according to recruiting rank.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talons

IMO if Auburn can find a qb I would pick them
Old 05-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
GarnetLaw
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 3000
GarnetLaw is learning to peckGarnetLaw is learning to peck

Malzahn- there are still a ton of kids that are already there recruited to play in his system so he's not starting from scratch. Plus he has Ellis Johnson at DC so thats a plus. If they can find a qb they have a good chance to knock off at least one powerhouse team on their schedule this year.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

Auburn has most talent on roster, but in a tougher division.
Arkansas has a long way to go to be right for Bielema so I wouldn't say him.
Kentucky will always suck.
Tennessee has a lot of Sr's and a little talent but a TERRIBLE schedule.

I would go with Gus right now.
Ericvol2096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

Malzahn, he was recruiting their QB when he was in middle school. Plus, Chizik was the rich man's Dabo in recruiting and the homeless man's Dabo in coaching.
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
NJGCfan
5* Recruit

Male

NJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talons

Auburn has the most talent, but have had no one to develop it and translate the ability into wins. Malzahn can do that and if he solves his problems at QB they could be a formidable opponent next season. Maybe that 4* QB Johnson will solve their problems
Old 05-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

Auburn by far
Old 05-08-2013, 02:09 AM   #11
JohnnyB21
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 720
JohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot material

I'm saying Auburn. I'm sure Malzahns wife is still keeping the stars of the team happy.

34-17 29-7 34-13 27-17 31-17

Coming for #6 next season!!!

154-71 in past 5 seasons against Clemson.
JohnnyB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:43 AM   #12
Cockykevin
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100200
Cockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot materialCockykevin is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Cockykevin

Def auburn. Doesn't matter recruits and stuff simply enough the UT coach has to win and win now, arky will be given a leash and uk expects to suck. Malzahn has an NC to fall back on and will be given every opp to succeed. Jones has to start winning games and fans alike starting next season
Cockykevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:24 AM   #13
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Gus.

They'll make some noise this year.

Jones a close second.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #14
TerryP
4-Star

Male

TerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
Auburn is loaded with a ton of talent, according to recruiting rank.
I've seen several mention Auburn in this thread voicing the assumption they are loaded with talent.

While it's true their classes have been highly ranked over the last five years the problem is over half of those classes are no longer on campus.

Setting aside the class signed in February and simply looking at 2010 - 2012 just under 50% of those that signed with the Tigers are no longer on campus. Grades, off the field issues, a little attrition due to normal situations like injuries, and some who never qualified have left that roster resembling one you'd find in Lexington.

Yes, literally, Lexington, KY.

I mean this in all seriousness. They are fortunate not to play Vandy this season or they'd be looking at back-to-back losses to the 'Dores and would find themselves two games behind in the all time series.
TerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #15
CockyMBA
Recruit

Male

CockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
Interesting topic I heard debated on the radio this morning....

Of the four new hires in SEC football (Malzahn - Auburn, Bielema - Arky, Jones - UT, and Stoops - UK) which has the best situation TODAY. Not in 3 years, not who will do the best job, but who has the most to work with today?

I dont think any of these teams will be very good this year. Maybe Arkansas or Auburn has the best shot at being decent, but none will compete. UK may easily be in the worst spot. I saw UK's schedule...yikes (Florida, @SC, Alabama...)

Hell, why not add who do you think will be the best of the bunch in 5 years. If he stays, my answer is Butch Jones.
Administratively, Kentucky. (I know...slightly off topic). But I think they're tired of the coaching carousel, so Stoops leash will be extremely long. I think he has the easiest path to be here in 5 years. They'll let him install his program because ANY success is good. Win 3 SEC games, and thats progressive. All the other teams THINK they belong in the upper echelon of the college football world.
CockyMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #16
TerryP
4-Star

Male

TerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyMBA View Post
Administratively, Kentucky. (I know...slightly off topic). But I think they're tired of the coaching carousel, so Stoops leash will be extremely long. I think he has the easiest path to be here in 5 years. They'll let him install his program because ANY success is good. Win 3 SEC games, and thats progressive. All the other teams THINK they belong in the upper echelon of the college football world.
That's a good turn of the conversation.

Consider the situation Jeff Long is in at Arkansas. As AD, he's seen the donations rise in the last two years of Petrino and with continuing facility improvements he's been able to maintain the flow of money coming in at Arkansas.

There was a fan base that defined split.

I can see a lot of fan frustration if they aren't at an eight or nine win mark in three years. But, I can also see Long as one who thinks long term more so than a lot of their fan base.

And, as a small side note with your suggestion of Kentucky. Honestly, when have they ever really cared about football?

By the end of October TN fans will likely be question—loudly I'm sure—the hiring of Jones. Realistically, they should be looking at five losses by the end of October and with a good chance of being out of the bowl picture completely.

Auburn, on the other hand, will fault the attrition (also spelled Chizik) and give grace to Gus because of 2010.
TerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #17
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material
Default Best Situation for New SEC Coach

Auburn ftw - much easier to recruit there. As much of a jerk as Petrino was, he was a good coach who did a lot with what he had.
GoldenSpur7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #18
garnet_black215
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Gus at Auburn.

Frankly, I don't think any of the four will be too competitive (and I think UK will flat out suck), but given that Gus was at Auburn before and has players who know his system better than Loeffler's I wouldn't be surprised to see them win six games.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote