CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
gamecockgal
b381l
Order 66
garnet_black215
DTGCOCKS#32
Pw00132
Ahmad
wumarshall82
uscsandstorm85
Thoughts on Shawn El (1635)
10-2 (1608)
UK promoting a black (1434)
Time for a new coach (954)
Four UK Players Susp (930)
Coach Gaines: " (857)
I Was Dealing With T (629)
Connor Shaw's fault. (615)
Build a New Stadium (512)
Since everyone loves (475)
UK promoting a blackout f
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
400 pasing yards
Connor Mitch
I Was Dealing With The Lo
QB Recruiting Strategy
Any prospects w/whom our
Four UK Players Suspended
Build a New Stadium
This program has no ideni

Old 05-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material
Default Gamecocks v tarheels at Bank of America Stadium to open the 2015 season

They are saying on Charlotte talk radio that it is a done deal. Seems to be a natural and advantageous rivalry to start in my opinion.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
cockybusiness2
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 470000
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Gamecocks v tarheels at Bank of America Stadium to open the 2015 season

What do we have to gain by playing UNC
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material
Default Re: Gamecocks v tarheels at Bank of America Stadium to open the 2015 season

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybusiness2 View Post

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybusiness2 View Post
It appears we are going to find out, in my opinion recruiting the state of NC has and will be a very large part of our success in the future of both basketball and football with the athlete factories(private prep schools) in the state they have been putting out top tier talent. We need to keep our foot on the throat of the tarheels to keep that advantage as well as I love beating them!
What do we have to gain by playing a team other than them?
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

I think this is awesome.

1. I don't have to drive far for a Gamecock Game.

2. It's a natural geographic "rivalry" game.

3. It's a shot for the Gamecocks to show off in the solid recruiting grounds of the greater Charlotte area.

4. This game will be televised nationally.

5. Lower bowl seats have armchairs.

6. It will give us a chance to show who runs the Carolinas in football.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
careyhhi
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 804
careyhhi has feathers coming incareyhhi has feathers coming incareyhhi has feathers coming in

Would this mean that we wouldn't be playing at ECU that year?
careyhhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by careyhhi View Post
I don't have any inside knowledge, but I bet if this thing checks out, it would mean we are giving up a home game.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
bcgibson75
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
bcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by careyhhi View Post
If the UNC series does pan out, look for AD Ray Tanner to negotiate our return trip to Greenville, NC during 2017 season.

Or he may get us out of the ECU series all together.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

That would blow chunks and I would be very disappointed in Ray, if it is true. He should be well aware that Gamecock fans have no affinity for the ACC and his being a NC State graduate does not change that fact.

Playing any ACC team...ANY ACC team...does not benefit us. Never help an enemy.

We do not need to play a NC team to recruit well in that state. Win, carry the SEC Conference banner and we'll do just fine there.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

Keep this mind, that could very easily be Connor Mitch, Drew Barker, or even Nosovitch's first start. 2014 would be Thompson's final year. Just something to keep in mind.
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #11
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
That would blow chunks and I would be very disappointed in Ray, if it is true. He should be well aware that Gamecock fans have no affinity for the ACC and his being a NC State graduate does not change that fact.

We gain a lot by playing THAT one ACC team
SirBigSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #12
TheMetal
Banned

Male

TheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPit

Quote:

We do not need to play a NC team to recruit well in that state. Win, carry the SEC Conference banner and we'll do just fine there.
Does beating the shit out of the enemy qualify as 'helping' the enemy?

No, it does not.

I mean, under your 'logic' we should cease playing Clemson altogether, right? Ridiculous.
TheMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #13
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

If I remember correctly when the USC / UNC deal was in the works, this
was something the Tarheels wanted but didn't want to come to Columbia.

Spurrier was the one behind the UNC matchup. As soon as he took the
job here, he made it publicly clear that he wanted to renew the rivalry
between UNC and USC and said it had the makings of a really good
boarder war game. He got Hyman on it, and in the orginal negociation,
UNC wanted to play one game in Chapel Hill, and another in Charlotte
(neutral site), but did not mention coming to Columbia. That was what
Hyman and Spurrier pushed for. A home / home and then if they wanted
to do a neutral site, they could do one later down the line. .. I was under
the understanding that UNC basically said NO DEAL to that. Our admin
know that we (USC) would probably have more fans at Charlotte than
the Tarheels would, and recruiting the Charlotte area would be boosted
with a game there, but he wanted the Home/Home thing done before
even thinking about it. .... Eventually Hyman worked out a deal to play
the Home/Home, but it was set up so that there would be 3 years
(originally) between the two games, and the buyout for either team was
very low....Something a lot of Gamecock fans did not like, nor did any of
the local talkshow hosts. And their reasoning for the dislike was made
know when a year later, UNC played us at Chapel Hell, and then wanted
to buy out the other game in 2010 due to scheduling LSU in their opener.

Hyman said that there was no way he'd allow UNC to back out of that
game, and eventually got them to reschedule it in 2013.

I'm OK with kicking their ass on a yearly or every other year basis if they
want to make this a regular game, but for god sakes, make them play
this game in Columbia this year. We went there, and they should honor
the part about coming to Columbia and playing. ... After that, bring them ON !!
Anywhere, Any Date. I HATE UNC as much as I hate Clemson
and beating their asses would be just as pleasant in my book. LEZ DU DIS !
Old 05-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #14
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMetal View Post
Does beating the shit out of the enemy qualify as 'helping' the enemy?

No, it does not.

I mean, under your 'logic' we should cease playing Clemson altogether, right? Ridiculous.
If it were up to me, I would not play Clempson or any ACC team, any sport, ever. If no one from the SEC played any ACC team, if dilutes their conference appeal even more and makes them even weaker and less attractive to recruits and makes it tougher for them to climb in national polls due to a weaker schedule.

Helping the "enemy" is propping up their schedule by having an attractive opponent on it, helping their recruiting by letting recruits know they play in the ACC AND play SEC teams, by giving them more media attention, by gaining nothing because we are suppose to win, but if we lose, gain much grief and ridicule.

If we play UNC, then you know damn well next will be NC State or other ACC teams. Screw them. They treated us like crap when we were members and caused much harm to our sports programs, so no way should we lift a finger of cooperation toward anyone in that conference. They can rot.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #15
TheMetal
Banned

Male

TheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPit

Quote:
If it were up to me, I would not play Clempson or any ACC team, any sport, ever. If no one from the SEC played any ACC team, if dilutes their conference appeal even more and makes them even weaker and less attractive to recruits and makes it tougher for them to climb in national polls due to a weaker schedule.
And then every media outlet in the nation would be clamoring about the mighty SEC being scared to play any team from the lowly ACC.

Brilliant!
TheMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #16
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
And then every media outlet in the nation would be clamoring about the mighty SEC being scared to play any team from the lowly ACC.

Brilliant!

Then you laugh at them for being so stupid for believing such a thing (you know they'll say it, but even they won't believe it). This is about lack of respect for a deceitful, backstabbing, double standards conference. They don't deserve to be on the same field with the SEC. The ultimate revenge is to ignore their being. When the bowls come around, we can play them when we may have no choice. We can prove the conference superiority then.

The rest of the SEC doesn't know our history with the ACC, so they'll still play ACC teams, but we can just tell the ACC we refuse to play any of their teams until they make a public apology for our treatment in the ACC and they did so intentionally to hurt our sports programs under McGuire and Dietzel because they did not want to see a doormat get up off the floor and beat them, let alone have the audacity to ask for equal treatment of all members in that conference. It won't happen.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #17
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

I would much rather play UNC or some other ACC team over Wofford, Luisiana Tech, New Mexico Sate, The Citadel, UABor whoever.

it's a game I actaully would want to watch.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #18
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 900000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
If I remember correctly when the USC / UNC deal was in the works, this
was something the Tarheels wanted but didn't want to come to Columbia.

Spurrier was the one behind the UNC matchup. As soon as he took the
job here, he made it publicly clear that he wanted to renew the rivalry
between UNC and USC and said it had the makings of a really good
boarder war game. He got Hyman on it, and in the orginal negociation,
UNC wanted to play one game in Chapel Hill, and another in Charlotte
(neutral site), but did not mention coming to Columbia. That was what
Hyman and Spurrier pushed for. A home / home and then if they wanted
to do a neutral site, they could do one later down the line. .. I was under
the understanding that UNC basically said NO DEAL to that. Our admin
know that we (USC) would probably have more fans at Charlotte than
the Tarheels would, and recruiting the Charlotte area would be boosted
with a game there, but he wanted the Home/Home thing done before
even thinking about it. .... Eventually Hyman worked out a deal to play
the Home/Home, but it was set up so that there would be 3 years
(originally) between the two games, and the buyout for either team was
very low....Something a lot of Gamecock fans did not like, nor did any of
the local talkshow hosts. And their reasoning for the dislike was made
know when a year later, UNC played us at Chapel Hell, and then wanted
to buy out the other game in 2010 due to scheduling LSU in their opener.

Hyman said that there was no way he'd allow UNC to back out of that
game, and eventually got them to reschedule it in 2013.

I'm OK with kicking their ass on a yearly or every other year basis if they
want to make this a regular game, but for god sakes, make them play
this game in Columbia this year. We went there, and they should honor
the part about coming to Columbia and playing. ... After that, bring them ON !!
Anywhere, Any Date. I HATE UNC as much as I hate Clemson
and beating their asses would be just as pleasant in my book. LEZ DU DIS !
Dat's old school Gamecock right there...........I'm witcha bro !
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #19
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Helping the "enemy" is propping up their schedule by having an attractive opponent on it, helping their recruiting by letting recruits know they play in the ACC AND play SEC teams, by giving them more media attention, by gaining nothing because we are suppose to win, but if we lose, gain much grief and ridicule.

If we play UNC, then you know damn well next will be NC State or other ACC teams. Screw them. They treated us like crap when we were members and caused much harm to our sports programs, so no way should we lift a finger of cooperation toward anyone in that conference. They can rot.
lets be honest here. you are an oldtimer that remembers the carolina acc split, and that is what drives your opinion.

If you can move past that blind hate i think you will see that dominating unc on national television, while in charlotte, would be awesome. its time to let go, man.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #20
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Brilliant!
Scared to play an ACC team? That's just stupid. Giving away a home game because it's an ACC team...now that's stupid.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote