CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
5lbYardcock
The Yancey
b381l
ZenUSC
evan_aggie
18IsTheMan
bigdog2003
GSC2013
StormOfTalons
Do we have any shot (2777)
Carolina opens -15.5 (2051)
What changes can and (1641)
Shaw: Check Out This (1457)
Gamecock football Lo (1316)
Don't tell me we don (1282)
Gamecocks claimed an (1188)
SOS Teleconference (1096)
Tanner McEvoy should (1092)
who thinks we need a (960)
SOS Teleconference
Shaw: Check Out This Head
Gamecock football Long Te
My Observations About USC
The Demise of the 3-4
What's your take on our a
Carolina opens -15.5
What changes can and will
Labor Day Weekend Eats
Mike Davis "doubtful

Old 05-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material
Default What I love most about Coach Spurrier...

I am currently reading Pat Summit's book and there is a small section in the book where she talks about a conversation with Coach where he told her, ""You and I both know why we do this, we do it so we can play games our whole lives. That way, we don't ever have to grow up."

As I have gotten to know Spurrier over the years (not personally, but just from watching everything he does), it is evident that he is not the visor throwing persona that so many people try to make him out to be. Sure, he is as competitive as anyone and wants to win at anything he does. But the visor throwing persona is one that gives the perception of someone that doesn't enjoy what they are doing, someone that doesn't have fun.

I have talked to some players that have played for Spurrier and they all say that he is actually a lot of fun on the practice field most of the time.

In fact, he kind of bucks the trend when it comes to the "you must outwork everyone else to be good at your job." He is never going to outwork the Saban's and Meyer's of the profession. But he works smart and he wins.

I know he is our head coach and has been successful so it is easy to be a homer just for that reason. But the more I watch him and read about how important his family is to him, how much he still enjoys "not growing up," and how involved he is in the community, the more I actually have started to respect him as a person and just not a coach.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 900000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material
Default Re: What I love most about Coach Spurrier...

What I love most about him, is that he is still our coach, and is reaping the benefits of staying here.

On a side note, I couldn't help but laugh during the LSU game, when Spurrier was nearly beside himself a few times. We let that one slip through our hands................
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #3
GarnetBlack&Blue
Burp Guns and Trust Funds

Male

CockyCash: 110000
GarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot material

well said, he's never been the guy to burn himself out, but doesn't back down from a challenge either... as amazing a coach as Saban is (arguably the GOAT), I bet Spurrier has enjoyed his life a lot more, and what else could you ask for?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetBlack&Blue View Post
well said, he's never been the guy to burn himself out, but doesn't back down from a challenge either... as amazing a coach as Saban is (arguably the GOAT), I bet Spurrier has enjoyed his life a lot more, and what else could you ask for?

you've cut to the root of it. However, at the same time, I do not think Saban would trade places with Spurrier and vice versa. Saban enjoys and thrives in the way he coaches - it would be very hard for him to "throttle down" and do it differently. While Spurrier and Saban have the same goal in mind - to be successful - I think they have different ideas of the totality of 'success' as a head coach.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

CockyCash: 500
me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
you've cut to the root of it. However, at the same time, I do not think Saban would trade places with Spurrier and vice versa. Saban enjoys and thrives in the way he coaches - it would be very hard for him to "throttle down" and do it differently. While Spurrier and Saban have the same goal in mind - to be successful - I think they have different ideas of the totality of 'success' as a head coach.
I agree with that, and I would add that Spurrier is more likely to reach his goals than is Saban.

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
GH
Moonocababa

Male

GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4USC View Post
I agree with that, and I would add that Spurrier is more likely to reach his goals than is Saban.

I don't know about that. I mean Saban's big thing is win recruiting, win plays, win drives, win quarters, win halves, win games, win divisions, win conferences, win championships, everything else is not important and doesn't factor into his equation. In that pursuit, I would say he has succeeded.

Spurrier is all about winning, having a good time, developing players, having a great Saturday of play calling and doing things the right way. He wants to win championships and divisions but he also sees a lot more important things than winning games.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
BuCockyfan
Two Deep

Male

BuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his comb

He was doing A LOT of winning when he was throwing the visor around...just sayin.
BuCockyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
garnet_black215
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuCockyfan View Post
He was doing A LOT of winning when he was throwing the visor around...just sayin.
Dude...really?
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
Trip
Big12 Expatriate

Male

Trip has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Re: What I love most about Coach Spurrier...
"Free Shoes U." Those three words made me a Spurrier fan for life.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
GH
Moonocababa

Male

I just miss football in general...I am a miss without it...I miss it so damn much...I'm a mess without it...

Old 05-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #11
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I WOULD rather have Saban if hadn't had screwed my Dolphins over the way he did. I can't trust him.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 900000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
I WOULD rather have Saban if hadn't had screwed my Dolphins over the way he did. I can't trust him.
I don't believe Nick Saban would have ever come here..................ever ! I don't think I need to elaborate.
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #13
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

I think there's a root statement in the OP and that is that spurrier already has reached his goal in life and that is to enjoy what he's doing and balance it with family, love, community, etc. This great game has allowed him to do that because he is also driven to win.

I think his balance is what we all strive for.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #14
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmike View Post
I think there's a root statement in the OP and that is that spurrier already has reached his goal in life and that is to enjoy what he's doing and balance it with family, love, community, etc. This great game has allowed him to do that because he is also driven to win.

I think his balance is what we all strive for.
EXACTLY!! Thanks!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #15
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord View Post
I don't believe Nick Saban would have ever come here..................ever ! I don't think I need to elaborate.
Yep. Spurrier chose SC, it wasn't the other way around. No way in hell does Saban come to SC.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #16
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

What I love most about him is the way he whips tiger tail every November.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #17
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 991000000
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

SOS enjoys doing things that nobody else does, or things that supposedly can't be done.

When looking around for a job after his abysmal NFL stint, he was looking for a job in the SEC..... and also wanted a challenge........ a place where he could experience those "first" again like he did at Duke and Florida....

Bottom line, don't tell SOS he can't do something...... cause he will do his damnedest to prove you wrong!

But SOS also cares about his players, his university, and wants to do things the right way!!! His track record at Carolina proves that!
Old 05-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #18
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Spurrier I hold in higher esteem than Saban. Saban is questionable in recruitting, over-signs more than anyone else, cannot win against a more talented team with the system he runs, and just creeps me out. Saban wouldn't have won here like Spurrier does, you have to already be in a good situation to win the way he plays, MSU played against lesser competition, and he never would have won the NC there; Alabama has won at least one NC every decade since the 20s I think; LSU has Louisiana boys in there back yard. Spurrier makes mediocre recruits great players and out schemes the other guy, and does it debate-ably better than anybody else in the country. If not for FSU, which we know cheated at the time, Spurrier would be a few more NCs wealthier. One last thing, it seems to me that Spurrier is wholly invested in doing it all the right way, our recruitting violations were meager, not institutional, and reported by the Athletic Department before anyone else knew about it, and Spurrier has never to my knowledge over-signed grossly or knowingly lied, misrepresented another university to a recruit (not things Saban does, but things other coaches do).
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:04 AM   #19
USCremedy
This your bush?

Male

CockyCash: 2300
USCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot material

some people really need to be reminded about the rules of personal attacks outside of the Smack forum. Totally uncalled for.

USCremedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:22 AM   #20
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Not that I don't think Saban has integrity, but Spurrier has more IMO. Especially now that he is not running up the scores like he used to. lol
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote