CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spurrier_Superior_On
18IsTheMan
Order 66
catdaddy66
Clowneygotcha
gadeneer1986
GoldenSpur7
eatlighting
GH
TAFC 5 1981
Looking ahead to UGA (2698)
My Observations Abou (2573)
Kevin Sumlin Thought (1920)
Gurley lined up to t (1331)
Step back from the l (1295)
Who else wants to se (1272)
Kelcy and Victor Ham (941)
How far do we fall.. (906)
Shaq Roland (862)
Shon Carson at KR (790)
I Am Ashamed
ECU
UFC 177: TJ Dillishaw vs
Tanner McEvoy to start fo
Time to quit crying.
Recruiting Question
Plugging Holes W/Recruiti
Predict the Season (After
2015 Commitment - Michael
Confused fan here. Why i

Old 05-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
RY4N
\_(ツ)_/

Male

CockyCash: 500
RY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPit
Default Anyone know if these are legal in SC?

Just got this in the mail today from Amazon. I couldn't find any definitive answers on the legal side of things when it comes to carrying it on me or with me in the state of South Carolina (and I think I saw where it wasn't allowed to ship to a few states). I'm not a knife expert by any means so any info would be helpful. It is spring assisted (not a switchblade). Btw, this one was only $8 and feels pretty sturdy and the knife is very sharp. The knuckles are not metal but I believe a poly-carbonate plastic. I used to always carry a knife on me (mostly for my job at the time) and stopped a couple years ago. Ever since hearing about all these muggings and stuff I wanted to get something like this when fists would not be adequate defense.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:56 PM   #2
RY4N
\_(ツ)_/

Male

RY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPit
Default Re: Anyone know if these are legal in SC?

This thing would do some damage too. I think like most guys would do when making a purchase like this, you do like a "10% power" test on yourself (not with the knife lol). That skull crusher/glass breaker might be as lethal as the blade would be.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:58 AM   #3
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Get a handgun....it's easier and cleaner.
b381l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:17 AM   #4
RY4N
\_(ツ)_/

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
Get a handgun....it's easier and cleaner.
Yeah I'm working on that. I like the idea of keeping a knife on me as well though. Not just for self defense purposes but practical purposes as well.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:21 AM   #5
Schecter
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Schecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RY4N View Post
Yeah I'm working on that. I like the idea of keeping a knife on me as well though. Not just for self defense purposes but practical purposes as well.
Yeah man, you can peel an orange and then beat the shit out of it with the knuckles to make orange juice.
Schecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:43 AM   #6
JohnnyR2211
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 756
JohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudly

What's that product called?
JohnnyR2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:00 AM   #7
tUSC
Banned

Male

tUSC has developed his gaff and talonstUSC has developed his gaff and talonstUSC has developed his gaff and talonstUSC has developed his gaff and talonstUSC has developed his gaff and talonstUSC has developed his gaff and talonstUSC has developed his gaff and talonstUSC has developed his gaff and talonstUSC has developed his gaff and talonstUSC has developed his gaff and talonstUSC has developed his gaff and talons

Legal as any thing you can bear.
tUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:20 AM   #8
CockySpaniel
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1918547116
CockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot material

The "knuckles" part might be the problem. I'm pretty sure they are illegal.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:04 AM   #9
RY4N
\_(ツ)_/

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyR2211 View Post
What's that product called?
Here's the link to the Amazon page with product info

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And as far as the knuckles go, I'm trying to find out if its just brass, or metal, knuckles that are illegal. Which I think they are. But these are made from a hard plastic. It'll still hurt somebody but not nearly as much as brass or any other metal would.

I just don't want to get popped with a ticket, or worse, jail time over a weapon that I carry to defend myself. Obviously I'm not gonna whip this thing out if some belligerent guy is trying to tussle, but I have been jumped by multiple guys before and this could have came in handy; if anything as a deterrent for them to back TFO.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:08 AM   #10
RY4N
\_(ツ)_/

Male

Obviously if a cop just simply has to confiscate it, I'm not gonna be too worried about losing an $8 knife, but I definitely don't want to face serious charges if it ever came to that. But if someone could 100% clear it up as to the legal side of carrying something like this, points and appreciation are coming your way. And if everything is all good with it, I'd recommend anyone interested to order one of them, because if anything, it's something pretty damn cool to have.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #11
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

I know the legislaturw tried to change it a few years ago but dont think it passed. Now they are legal unless used during a crime or with intent to commit a crime. Possession is not illegal
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #12
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Never go anywhere without a knife.
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
I know the legislaturw tried to change it a few years ago but dont think it passed. Now they are legal unless used during a crime or with intent to commit a crime. Possession is not illegal
Actually the possession of the knuckles would be illegal. sorry to disappoint. Just as a FYI its only a misdemeanor.
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecOps Cock View Post
Actually the possession of the knuckles would be illegal. sorry to disappoint. Just as a FYI its only a misdemeanor.
Did they change it because I knew they tried but I didn't think it passed. I used tho have some but got rid of them when they talked about banning them 5 years or so ago
Old 05-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #15
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

Here is the law
Quote:
SECTION 16-23-460. Carrying concealed weapons; forfeiture of weapons.

(A) A person carrying a deadly weapon usually used for the infliction of personal injury concealed about his person is guilty of a misdemeanor, must forfeit to the county, or, if convicted in a municipal court, to the municipality, the concealed weapon, and must be fined not less than two hundred dollars nor more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned not less than thirty days nor more than ninety days.

(B) The provisions of this section do not apply to:

(1) A person carrying a concealed weapon upon his own premises or pursuant to and in compliance with Article 4, Chapter 31 of Title 23; or

(2) peace officers in the actual discharge of their duties.

(C) The provisions of this section also do not apply to rifles, shotguns, dirks, slingshots, metal knuckles, knives, or razors unless they are used with the intent to commit a crime or in furtherance of a crime.
C- seems to say its legal as long as you aren't committing a crime
Old 05-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #16
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

I am under the impression that a knife with a locking blade longer than 3 inches is illegal

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #17
uscGRAD04
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Rob View Post
Never go anywhere without a knife.

Except a gun fight.

lol just messing with ya
Old 05-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #18
RY4N
\_(ツ)_/

Male

@ccured That seems pretty straightforward to me. As long as that is current SC law, I believe I'm good. And as stated before, the knuckles aren't even metal. So poly-carbonate plastic knuckles should be 100% legal.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #19
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

Quote:
@ccured That seems pretty straightforward to me. As long as that is current SC law, I believe I'm good. And as stated before, the knuckles aren't even metal. So poly-carbonate plastic knuckles should be 100% legal.
thats from the scstatehouse.gov. I know I have had a baton confiscate and toss in the garbage by a cop before. Just when he saw it in my truck. So really its probably dependent on the cop more than anything.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #20
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
I am under the impression that a knife with a locking blade longer than 3 inches is illegal
it used to be 2" but that was repealed in 2008