CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
JerseyBird
bcolinc
The Yancey
kingofnerf
Regalcock
Latti
Travelin
B-G
SMOTFS86
2014 Subway Classic: (1610)
Former Gamecock root (928)
Props to Eric Hyman. (799)
Garcia and Clemsux T (787)
Franks boy's are pla (683)
Four USC Basketball (598)
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu (392)
Bowl packages (353)
Chance of my lifetim (224)
Kentucky is dominati (216)
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
Schuyler Rimmer 6'10"
2015 Commitment - Zack Ba
Former Gamecock rooting f
Kentucky is dominating UC
Decommitment from Texas A
UFC Fight Night 58: Lyota
2015 - Eurndraus Bryant
Franks boy's are playing
Duck Bowl Depth Chart

Old 05-20-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material
Default Georgia parts ways with Perno

I posted this here because it is related to Gamecock baseball. It would be really weird to see Mark Calvi as the head man at UGA. It would make some people here very happy as they would have yet another reason to hate him.
Georgia parts ways with Perno
Quote:
The University of Georgia parted ways with long-time head coach Dave Perno after 12 seasons at the helm, Perfect Game has learned.
The Bulldogs are fresh off a rather tough campaign in the Southeastern Conference. Perno's Georgia club finished the 2013 campaign with a 21-32 overall record, 7-20 SEC mark, and failed to reach this week's conference tournament in Hoover, Ala.
Perno's dismissal comes as no surprise, as the Bulldogs also had a tough 2012 campaign that ended with a 31-26 overall record, 14-15 SEC record, and of course, no NCAA postseason appearance.
Though the Bulldogs struggled the last two seasons, Perno put together some impressive results at times in his 12 seasons with the program. Georgia most recently played Fresno State for the national title in the College World Series in 2008, finishing that campaign with 45-25 overall record.
Perno also guided the Bulldogs to CWS appearances in 2004 and '06, along with six NCAA Regional appearances, three NCAA Super Regional appearances and two SEC regular season titles (2004, '08). Additionally, Perno made his mark as a player for the Georgia Bulldogs, being a member of the 1990 National Championship team.
With Perno's departure at Georgia, the coaching carousel now gets off to an incredibly hot start. Though Georgia still has a ways to go facilities-wise to catch up with other SEC stalwarts in the facility department, the program as a whole has endless potential. The Bulldogs have access to incredible talent in the Atlanta area, Athens, Ga., is regarded as one of the nation's premier college towns, and the Bulldogs have the money to make a strong financial commitment, if they want to, of course.
Georgia must now decide which route it wants to take in terms of a head coach. The hot name in the assistant/associate head coach department is North Carolina's Scott Forbes, who has helped engineer a pair of trips to the CWS Championship Series. Meanwhile, the Bulldogs could take a big chance at Louisville's Dan McDonnell, though, the good money would be on McDonnell staying put with the Cardinals heading to the Atlantic Coast Conference.
Other potential options the Bulldogs should consider include assistant coach Butch Thompson (Mississippi State), head coach Gary Gilmore (Coastal Carolina) head coach Terry Rooney (UCF), assistant coach Todd Butler (Arkansas), assistant Cliff Godwin (Ole Miss), assistant coach Kevin McMullan (Virginia) and head coach Mark Calvi (South Alabama) and head coach Craig Gibson (Mercer), among others.
As usual, stay with Perfect Game as details develop.
http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/...x?article=8454
Old 05-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
Gamecock303
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 95200
Gamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Georgia parts ways with Perno

not really a suprise
Gamecock303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:41 AM   #3
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

Kendall Rodgers thinks they're a top 5 job. That's asinine

@KendallRogersPG: UF, Texas, LSU, UCLA RT @Dirtbag_Blues: @KendallRogersPG Top five? I have to ask, who are the other four?

What a joke. So UGA and UCLA are "top 5 jobs", but South Carolina, FSU, and UNC aren't?
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:18 AM   #4
uscandy
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his claws

Kendall sucks! I use to think the guy was pretty good, but he's lost it, no credibility as far as I'm concerned!UCLA? Are you kidding me? That 's just plain stupid!
uscandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:25 AM   #5
jellafever
BETTER THAN the rest

Male

CockyCash: 1035714
jellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot material

He's a Texas fan. He is also boys with Aaron Fitt from BA and has a slight ACC bias as well as an inexplicable love for the Bruins.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:28 AM   #6
jellafever
BETTER THAN the rest

Male

jellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot material

Whenever I think of Georgia and the number 5 this always comes to mind:

Old 05-20-2013, 01:40 AM   #7
usctiburon03
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 24000
usctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellafever View Post

Never. Gets. Old.
usctiburon03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:54 AM   #8
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellafever View Post

Whenever I see this video I am reminding just how much I miss Mike Morgan. I always felt like he was 100% Gamecock while Andy Demetra just seems like some guy doing the job.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
GamecockInHell
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1007834
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I know they haven't done much the past couple of years, but I really thought Perno was a good coach. Maybe Tanner was smart to get out when he did. Maybe they will hire Gilmore, then I can continue to pull against him. As far as Calvi goes, I know that he was demonized by many while he was here, but without him we might never have gotten the pitchers that have taken us to three CWS in the past three years.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
DawginCola
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
DawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPit

Perno had been a coach. After losing in the CWS in '08, though, we really took a nosedive. 2009 started out great but we collapsed in a pretty epic way in the second half of the season and '10-'13 have been forgettable. I think we went to Omaha in 3 of his first 6 years, but in his last 5 we declined steadily each season.

The reason people rank the job so highly, I think, is because you have a rich athletic department and extremely fertile recruiting grounds in-state. Perno had managed to recruit well but spent way too much time recruiting guys like Buxton, who were locks to go early in the MLB draft and never step foot on campus.

I played ball in Cobb County which is chocked full of baseball talent and East Cobb is one of the best programs around; a buddy coaches there and flat out told me that they advise kids away from UGA because the staff didn't develop talent like it should.

I wish Coach Perno well and I hope he lands on his feet somewhere to successfully finish his career, and that this turns out to be a good step for both parties.

Last edited by DawginCola; 05-20-2013 at 10:11 AM.
DawginCola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
d20636
Haven't seen your acid...

Male

CockyCash: 1360
d20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
Whenever I see this video I am reminding just how much I miss Mike Morgan. I always felt like he was 100% Gamecock while Andy Demetra just seems like some guy doing the job.
THIS.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

CoC Coach Monte Lee is a rumor right now
Old 05-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #13
jellafever
BETTER THAN the rest

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg77 View Post
Seeing as how Georgia is a top 5 program, maybe you guys should think big and go for Jack Leggett. Or dream big and try for Ray Tanner.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #14
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg77 View Post
Saw Mark Calvi too.
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Perno was a good coach, that's tough.Gilmore's fantastic as a coach, hope they stay away from him.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #16
GamecockInHell
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1007834
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

The baseball talent in a state is up and down in cycles. I think the fact that we didn't have a Price or Roth or Wingo or even a Cooper coming up from in-state this year has not helped us. Most college baseball team recruit heavily in state and to have a great team they have to have a great crop of HS talent. Plus, they have to get them into school which in many cases is the hardest part. I used to keep up with the baseball talent in Georgia years ago when my sons played, but even though the talent is good, there may not be enough great ones willing to go to school to help Purno keep his job.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #17
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 200
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

I miss Mike Morgan...
Old 05-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #18
TheMule
Br Ba

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
Morgan and Price are my favorite announcers at any level. They had the ability to make you feel that you were sitting there watching the game among friends.

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #19
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Just on face value...Georgia is a top 5 job simply from a recruiting edge.
There are some AMAZING ballplayers in the state...the problem is Georgia either loses them to other schools, or they go straight to the minors...the same as with schools in Texas and California.

From an actual position, I still consider UGA a destination job...but it will take someone coming in and really bringing some energy into that program.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #20
Gamecocks111
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
Gamecocks111 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Just on face value...Georgia is a top 5 job simply from a recruiting edge.
There are some AMAZING ballplayers in the state...the problem is Georgia either loses them to other schools, or they go straight to the minors...the same as with schools in Texas and California.

From an actual position, I still consider UGA a destination job...but it will take someone coming in and really bringing some energy into that program.
Hopefully that wont happen.