CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
StormOfTalons
b381l
GarnetBlack&Blue
2000grad
JerseyBird
gromweat
Acockolypse Now
NinjaSven
WeStill0wnUSC
Ahmad
Nick Chubb (6385)
Spurrier Presser (2220)
Cack's Toast of the (1736)
Spurrier: Davis Will (1719)
Rankings (1522)
Update: Brison Willi (1374)
3-4 "D" Ke (1361)
Will Devin ever suit (1112)
Over reacting? (538)
New to Cockytalk... (420)
Cack's Toast of the Game:
Why won't Spurrier implem
Update: Brison Williams i
Rankings
Whiskey QB 2014
Nick Chubb
No Fun League Strikes Aga
2015 Commitment - Shameik
All of our defensive play
Uniform thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
Gearhead
Fine Tuning..The Future

Male

CockyCash: 160510
Gearhead is USC mascot materialGearhead is USC mascot materialGearhead is USC mascot materialGearhead is USC mascot materialGearhead is USC mascot materialGearhead is USC mascot materialGearhead is USC mascot materialGearhead is USC mascot materialGearhead is USC mascot materialGearhead is USC mascot materialGearhead is USC mascot material
Default Anchored Putter Rulled Illegal by R&A and USGA..Your Thoughts?

I think it is great for the novice...bad for tourneys...

What say you?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Anchored Putter Rulled Illegal by R&A and USGA..Your Thoughts?

the concept of anchoring the putter as an advantage is the reason behind the ruling. does anyone know if it goes into affect for the champions tour?

as far as the average guy, it doesnt really matter. they will still use it
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
TerryP
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
TerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervousTerryP is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
the concept of anchoring the putter as an advantage is the reason behind the ruling. does anyone know if it goes into affect for the champions tour?

as far as the average guy, it doesnt really matter. they will still use it
As late as the end of February of this year the PGA Tour was still saying they would be against the ban. I don't think Finchem has had anything to say since around the Accenture.

It's interesting to me because I can understand both sides of the argument. The PGA Tour thinking popularity and sales numbers versus the R&A and USGA thinking about the purity of the game.

Personally, I don't putt that way although I do "anchor" the grip against my leading arm. I don't like to see it against the body on tour. It takes the "yips" out of the game in a sense.

The thought does cross my mind if they do get rid of the long putters and that leads to less hackers on the course?!?! Can that be all bad?
TerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

They need to limit the distance tech
Old 05-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
uga dawg
Banned

Male

uga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudly

I consider myself a fairly good golfer. been playing for 21 years, and played every year in high school(except senior year). normally shoot from 73 to 80.

that said, I have tried like hell to putt with an anchored putter, and I have no control of the ball at all. I do fair with the long putter, but the belly putter is not for me.

however, there seems to be quite a number of pros using it with great sucess. I'm not really sure that it has an advantage, or at least not one big enough to make a difference. I could see it keeping the yips away, if one got used to such a putter, but other than that, no advantage in my book.

hell, the best way to never get the yips is to look at the hole while putting, and not the ball. I began putting this way a while back, and will never switch back. its like shooting a free throw. you don't look at the ball when you shoot, you look at the rim, and let your brain take over your muscles and aiming. try it if you play golf. takes some getting used to, but do it on the putting green for an hour, and watch how many 20 footers you drain.
uga dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Seriously, I think y'all need to try this putter out, the Radi-Eye. I've been using it for 2 years now and I won't use anything else. It is USGA approved and has something actually unique for a putter in that it has a curved face. So, no matter if you typically push, pull or just have bad stroke, the putter corrects up to 3.5 degrees of error.

http://p3golfonline.com/

Check out the videos on their website you'll see what I'm talking about.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #7
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 900000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

My opinion is that the long putter has given no one a distinct advantage. Most that use it still struggle. I think it flies against the spirit of the game, and I for one would not lament it's passing.
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
uscfsu23
Two Deep

Male

uscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPit

Have been playing golf for 20 years and anchoring the putter is simply wrong in my opinion and I was thrilled when they made the call to change the rules.
uscfsu23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:23 AM   #9
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Someone explain to me what anchoring a putter is? Im not familiar with the therm.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #10
Tolley
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 63000
Tolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPit

The belly putters.
Adam Scott uses one.
Tolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

Slow play, in my opinion, is a bigger issue.

That said, I agree with the ban.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote