CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
U-Dub Gamecock
l^l^lBGCock
NinjaSven
markymark550
Gamecocks1137
Lonnie
snruter amabon
Regalcock
CoverTwo
Perspective on our g (1242)
Currently 2nd in att (879)
SEC referees? (763)
Alshon - Bose (696)
Brad Lawing (679)
Ced Cooper (#18) sta (596)
How cool would it be (535)
**USC vs. UNC-Ashevi (416)
Awesome time waster (290)
Carolina/Clemson gam (211)
Garcia vs Clemson Tom
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Palmetto Bowl
Brad Lawing
Odell Becham Catch
Carolina/Clemson game dre
Clemson Stadium Gamecock
Good Omen for Saturday?
weekend conference Predic
How is Shaq Davidson's re

Old 05-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
GotSpurrier82
Keeper of the Booze

Female

CockyCash: 10000322
GotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to GotSpurrier82
Default Carpet Replacement

I need some names of people who can do old carpet take-out and new carpet & padding installation. I don't need the best carpet in the world -- something that will last 5 years (maybe less) until I can get hardwoods put in. I didn't know if someone has used or know someone who has used someone like Empire Today. They have a $99 room sale going on but that will end soon. Lowe's has a sale too, but someone told me they're more like the middle man and it would be better (less expensive) just to go straight to a flooring person. As of now I have an empty room just sitting there, waiting on new carpet and such. I have plans for that room but can't do anything until I get the carpet replaced.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1715674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material
Default Re: Carpet Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotSpurrier82 View Post
I need some names of people who can do old carpet take-out and new carpet & padding installation. I don't need the best carpet in the world -- something that will last 5 years (maybe less) until I can get hardwoods put in. I didn't know if someone has used or know someone who has used someone like Empire Today. They have a $99 room sale going on but that will end soon. Lowe's has a sale too, but someone told me they're more like the middle man and it would be better (less expensive) just to go straight to a flooring person. As of now I have an empty room just sitting there, waiting on new carpet and such. I have plans for that room but can't do anything until I get the carpet replaced.
Yeah...lowes and many flooring stores hire independent contractors...when I built my house the same guy that the flooring shop here uses charged me like 1/3 of what the shop wanted to install the flooring, cause I went straight thru him.

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
GotSpurrier82
Keeper of the Booze

Female

GotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot material

So it's better just to go straight to a flooring center?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
GamecockMomSC
Sweet Carolina Girl

Female

CockyCash: 101194810
GamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Yeah...lowes and many flooring stores hire independent contractors...when I built my house the same guy that the flooring shop here uses charged me like 1/3 of what the shop wanted to install the flooring, cause I went straight thru him.
I don't know anyone in your area, Morgan, but Johnny is right. Your best bet is to ask around and find an independent carpet installer.
GamecockMomSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

not in your area either, but we picked out something from lowes and then went to a recommended carpet guy and he not only got the carpet and padding cheaper, but labor was cheaper than the big box stores
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:12 AM   #6
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

“When white people envision their perfect home, it always has hardwood floors. In fact, most white people would prefer a dirt floor over wall-to-wall carpeting, because to them it would have the same level of cleanliness and probably fewer germs.

White people are petrified of germs, and when they look at a carpet all they can see is everything that has ever been spilled, tracked in, or shaken loose into the carpet fibers. But more disgusting to white people is that wall-to-wall carpeting reminds them of suburban homes, motel rooms, and the horrible apartments that they have visited or lived in over the years. It has no soul. Only germs.

Hardwood floors, on the other hand, are easily cleaned and give a sense of character to a place, since they are often the original flooring in older buildings. It is a well-known white fantasy to purchase a home or apartment that has disgusting carpet and then to pull it up to reveal a beautiful hardwood floor underneath.”
gamecockphan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #7
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

I like hardwood floors myself....and an area rug, maybe 8 x 10.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:07 AM   #8
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

CockyCash: 26000805
RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to RGHoskins

Why not just put quality laminant down in that room, similar to my old bedroom? Realistically, that's going to make a lot more sense when you go for wood like flooring house wide than actual hardwoods and this way you'd already have one room done. Me and my dad did all the floors in my basement and they came out great. The key is just buy high quality flooring.

- Rick H-

Rest in Peace Jaymie, aka Feistyminx and C- Girl.
RGHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
GotSpurrier82
Keeper of the Booze

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
“When white people envision their perfect home, it always has hardwood floors. In fact, most white people would prefer a dirt floor over wall-to-wall carpeting, because to them it would have the same level of cleanliness and probably fewer germs.

White people are petrified of germs, and when they look at a carpet all they can see is everything that has ever been spilled, tracked in, or shaken loose into the carpet fibers. But more disgusting to white people is that wall-to-wall carpeting reminds them of suburban homes, motel rooms, and the horrible apartments that they have visited or lived in over the years. It has no soul. Only germs.

Hardwood floors, on the other hand, are easily cleaned and give a sense of character to a place, since they are often the original flooring in older buildings. It is a well-known white fantasy to purchase a home or apartment that has disgusting carpet and then to pull it up to reveal a beautiful hardwood floor underneath.”
Guess I really am white. Lol. Hardwoods add value and they're good for people like me with allergies, since carpets hold and trap everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGHoskins View Post
Why not just put quality laminant down in that room, similar to my old bedroom? Realistically, that's going to make a lot more sense when you go for wood like flooring house wide than actual hardwoods and this way you'd already have one room done. Me and my dad did all the floors in my basement and they came out great. The key is just buy high quality flooring.
I'm doing house-wide hardwoods. I'll do it all at the same time to it wears and matches and such. I don't want laminate because some people will poo-poo that when it comes to re-selling it.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #10
Captain9Dragons
Forest Grump

Male

CockyCash: 22007959
Captain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot material

Quote:
Guess I really am white. Lol. Hardwoods add value and they're good for people like me with allergies, since carpets hold and trap everything.

I'm doing house-wide hardwoods. I'll do it all at the same time to it wears and matches and such. I don't want laminate because some people will poo-poo that when it comes to re-selling it.
hardwood floors rock
Old 05-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Just go ahead with the nuclear option.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
GotSpurrier82
Keeper of the Booze

Female

I could, Yancey. I'll claim I saw a spider inside so I burnt it to the ground! Lol.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
stiffolcock
trust me

Male

CockyCash: 200
stiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot material

love my hardwood floors. they are 80 years old. had them sanded and refinished when i bought the place.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #14
GotSpurrier82
Keeper of the Booze

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffolcock View Post
love my hardwood floors. they are 80 years old. had them sanded and refinished when i bought the place.
Nice. You have some real ones then. My parents' old house had that.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #15
5150harley
Sandlapper Pools

Male

CockyCash: 500
5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material

Cocklover likes hardwoods too.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #16
GotSpurrier82
Keeper of the Booze

Female

My mom works as a realtor for corporate relocation and usually has to get a house spiffy before or after someone moves in or out. Her go-to man is coming Friday to pull the carpet back and inspect the pad. He will then report to his "carpet miracle man" about the situation and would be done. Progress!
Old 05-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #17
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

Quote:
My mom works as a realtor for corporate relocation and usually has to get a house spiffy before or after someone moves in or out. Her go-to man is coming Friday to pull the carpet back and inspect the pad. He will then report to his "carpet miracle man" about the situation and would be done. Progress!
Old 05-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #18
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

hardwood is money. have it all through out my house except basement which is concrete and now covered by carpet. My house is about to turn 100 and we have the original floors in. Creaky, but they are still there.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote