CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
NineInchSpurs
WeStill0wnUSC
Badazcock
Pty23
rabid cock
markymark550
Goofyboy
2000grad
Rebel4ever
GarnetBlack&Blue
Luginbill says ECU s (2298)
Well, as it turns ou (2249)
What the heck is up (1699)
Next years RB situat (1625)
ECU fan here (1299)
So, Vanderbilt is ne (1187)
Been a pleasure talk (1182)
Freaky Coincidence o (1003)
Davis dinged up agai (953)
Defensive stand-arou (810)
Defensive stand-around pl
Davis dinged up again?
Name a Gamecock
Tired of night games
Well, as it turns out, we
Larenz Bryant update?
So, Vanderbilt is next
2015 - Roquan Smith
Acock's SEC Wrap Up 2014:
Tony Stewart kills Kevin

Old 05-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
highpockets12
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
highpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurs
Default flea market find

didnt know where to put this . went to flea market over weekend found a 12 oz highball glass. 1958 LSU nc. glass on back had roster Paul dietzel coach.they beat clemson 7-0 but what really puzzled me was a chinaman on the front bottom right.I have read several iteams explianing about DIETZELS CHINESE BANDITS. wild stuff ,although lsu went undefeated and won NC. nwaa said iowa was winner even though they had lost a game.found articles very intresting ,even tho I am not a lsu fan bought it anyway.not a reproduction in excellant condition.just thought it would make good conversation piece.If you dont know the story it makes a good read
highpockets12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
etowngangsta
Challenge accepted.

Male

CockyCash: 26065800
etowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot material
Default Re: flea market find

Pretty cool. All I ever find at flea markets are snaggle toothed women and bed bugs.
etowngangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

CockyCash: 999762
bigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot material

I hit up a flea market Sunday looking for some deals, found nothing of need. Flea markets aren't what they once were, I can remember going and selling sports cards in middle school and coming home with $200+, there was only 1 guy selling cards Sunday.

bigdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
highpockets12
Recruit

Male

highpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurs

we have alot of good football historians on here was hoping someone would explain how iowa was listed champs over lsu even though they won NC and went undefeated .Iowa beat cali.
highpockets12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
doccock
Super Doc

Male

doccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPit

Back in those years there wasn't one national champion. Every wire service picked their own champ as did several organizations.
In this case Iowa probably was chosen by the football writers and LSU by all the others.

Also in this case Iowa was chosen after the bowl games (they won the Rose Bowl) and LSU after the regular season.

Another interesting thing is that Iowa beat a lower ranked team in Cal (16th) than LSU didin Clemson(12th).
doc
Old 05-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

Iowa was named national champions by the Football Writers Association of America, who felt that Iowa's Rose Bowl victory was more impressive than LSU's Sugar Bowl victory. Also, during the regular season Iowa recorded wins over five teams (it should be four, but I guess they're claiming the tie with Air Force as a win, haha) ranked in the AP top 20 while LSU beat only two. Iowa's loss was to #8 Ohio State.

On the other hand, LSU was named national champions by both the AP and UPI polls, who voted before the bowl games.

I think the FWAA was the only group of the many that named a champion to pick Iowa.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

CockyCash: 977700
Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpockets12 View Post
didnt know where to put this . went to flea market over weekend found a 12 oz highball glass. 1958 LSU nc. glass on back had roster Paul dietzel coach.they beat clemson 7-0 but what really puzzled me was a chinaman on the front bottom right.I have read several iteams explianing about DIETZELS CHINESE BANDITS. wild stuff ,although lsu went undefeated and won NC. nwaa said iowa was winner even though they had lost a game.found articles very intresting ,even tho I am not a lsu fan bought it anyway.not a reproduction in excellant condition.just thought it would make good conversation piece.If you dont know the story it makes a good read

LSU, with a record of 10-0-0, was crowned the national champion at the end of the regular season by both major polls and would go on to win the SUgar Bowl. The Iowa Hawkeyes, who won the Rose Bowl, were crowned national champions by the Football Writers' Association of America after the bowl games were played.