CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
IBleedGarnetandBlack
The Yancey
peterlemon
18IsTheMan
bcolinc
zcoop
Kyle76
b381l
Cockypantherfan
WeStillOwnUSC
The Demise of the 3- (2356)
East Carolina Predic (1591)
Why didn't Wes Green (1285)
A&M on 3rd down (650)
You guys are horribl (614)
Finally Cooled Off (541)
Did we ever go after (517)
louisville (489)
It's the offenses no (408)
Watching the Georgia (235)
whats up with Mike?
The Demise of the 3-4
Why didn't Wes Green play
Recruiting Question
USC vs. Texas A&M Pre
Uniform thread
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
2015 - Amonte Caban
2015 Commitment - Shameik
All of our defensive play

Old 05-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Extend Required College To 2 Years

Does anyone know if this is being discussed by the NCAA. I think it's been talked about by coaches, fans, etc. I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about this. For it to happen, I think the conference commissioners would need to have their coaches putting pressure on them. And how much real input does the
NBA have in all of this.
b381l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Extend Required College To 2 Years

Pretty sure the NBA is the only one with any say. They decide when someone is eligible to be drafted, not the NCAA.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

It's part of the NBA's collective bargaining agreement.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

But colleges can also say to a high school kid, if you commit to us, you have to stay 2 years. I'm not sure how the NBA's collective bargaining agreement has any authority over the NCAA.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
But colleges can also say to a high school kid, if you commit to us, you have to stay 2 years. I'm not sure how the NBA's collective bargaining agreement has any authority over the NCAA.
But currently scholarships are year by year renewable.(I do know there were talks of offering four year scholarships in the big 2 aka head count sports)
And if a college says that to say just example Andrew Wiggins, odds are he will say well I would prefer to go to a school that will let me leave after a year.

Not really sure how the NBA has authority over the NCAA, but I see it more as a prerequisite for the NBA to allow players in their league.

#LukeForMod

Old 05-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

The NBA won't be hurt one bit by waiting one extra year. I know there is always a chance of injury, but just like football, they can purchase insurance. If kids stayed in college for one more year, that extra year would help with their development. Football is 3 years, no reason basketball can't/shouldn't be 2 years.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
Pretty sure the NBA is the only one with any say. They decide when someone is eligible to be drafted, not the NCAA.
Yes but the NCAA can require 2 year commitment.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
The NBA won't be hurt one bit by waiting one extra year. I know there is always a chance of injury, but just like football, they can purchase insurance. If kids stayed in college for one more year, that extra year would help with their development. Football is 3 years, no reason basketball can't/shouldn't be 2 years.

With the NBA I think they're looking at it more in a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" way.

Of course the fundamentals of the game have decreased, but the league is at its highest point of popularity (in terms of money and ratings) even after a lockout.
So in the eyes of those people, they're "winning"

The current CBA runs through the 2020-21 season with ability to opt our after 16-17, so who knows what will happen there. Also I don't think all coaches will want 2 year commitments. Unless of course if its a guy like Andrew Wiggins, but even if that's a case you'll just see them go to Europe for a year.

#LukeForMod

Old 05-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

IMO its should be the other way around. If you are good enough to enter the NBA draft out of HS, then there is no reason to go to college for one season. Football is much more physical and requires players to develop physically and mentally much more than basketball or baseball.
JDRAY^# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

I like the NHL's way.

You can get drafted but attend college. And when a team believes you are ready they sign you and you are no longer an amateur.

If you stay all four years and the team that drafted you didn't like how you progressed you are a free agent.

#LukeForMod

Last edited by I Bleed Garnet; 05-27-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #11
ElectricCock
Fear The Thumb, Clemson

Male

CockyCash: 200516
ElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot material

i say in basketball, you can go out of high school... but if you enroll in college you have to stay until 2 years out of high school
Old 05-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricCock View Post
i say in basketball, you can go out of high school... but if you enroll in college you have to stay until 2 years out of high school
This was the point of the thread.

But I really like what I Bleed said about the NHL.....this seems like a win win for the kids and professional teams.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #13
BlakelyH19
4-Star

Male

BlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPit

Quote:

But I really like what I Bleed said about the NHL.....this seems like a win win for the kids and professional teams.
The freaking sport of the Canadians can get it right but we can't.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #14
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakelyH19 View Post
Looks that way to me.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #15
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakelyH19 View Post
Had to do something right after ****ing up bacon.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #16
DJCatfish
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 4400
DJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his comb

Quote:
Yes but the NCAA can require 2 year commitment.
What are you talking about? If the NBA wants to draft somebody, they can. What is the NCAA going to do about it? Tell the player they can't play for the NBA? Tell NBA teams they can't hire the player?

If there is no recourse against a player breaking the commitment (which there isn't), then this is nonsensical. The major league sets the requirements, and the NCAA is powerless to alter them.
DJCatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #17
Flips
Two Deep

Male

Flips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
No they can't. How could they say that? Unless it was deemed by the NBA to be the same, all the top players would go play in Europe instead.
Flips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #18
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCatfish View Post
What are you talking about? If the NBA wants to draft somebody, they can. What is the NCAA going to do about it? Tell the player they can't play for the NBA? Tell NBA teams they can't hire the player?

If there is no recourse against a player breaking the commitment (which there isn't), then this is nonsensical. The major league sets the requirements, and the NCAA is powerless to alter them.
They already have a one year rule in place. That doesn't mean they can't take a kid out of high school. I'm not talking about that. When colleges recruit, you simply ask the kid to agree to stay for 2 years and include that in the contract. If they don't want to sign, fine, go play in the NBA.....until a bunch of them find themselves not drafted. The NHL has rules that work, and so does the NFL with their three year rule. If they can do that so the hell can the NBA.....do they have to, no. But it would be a huge black eye on the NBA if the NCAA really pushed. Don't tell me it can't be done, you don't know what your talking about.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #19
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flips View Post
No they can't. How could they say that? Unless it was deemed by the NBA to be the same, all the top players would go play in Europe instead.
As already said earlier, the NBA has no authority over the NCAA. You think Europe's teams are going to sign kids for a one year contract, think again. They already have a 3 year rule in the NFL.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #20
Gamecock303
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 95200
Gamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot material

Quote:
they can say it but they can't really enforce it. the only way to do so would be to make all the kids sign some kind of contract stating that they will play at least 2 years but enforcing that on kids that leave after a year to go to the NBA will also force them to go after kids who play their freshman year and then decide to give up basketball and that isn't exactly going to be good for the NCAA.

any change is going to have to come from the NBA, the NCAA can hope the NBA does something about it but that is about all.
Gamecock303 is offline   Reply With Quote