CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Bed Sores
mpilot0705
CockyLifer
ReadR00ster
Master Bedroom
spareparts
TheUniversityofSC
AtlGAMECOCK
Nick29321
Finbaum Jogs on USC (1551)
The Field (1460)
Spurrier winning at (1099)
I hope Coach Spurrie (1015)
One of the great thi (924)
Anyone watching pti (894)
Defensive Backfield (818)
GAME (784)
Death in the family (692)
SDS/Garcia: Entertai (652)
Conflict with Aggies on t
SDS/Garcia: Entertaining
Anyone watching pti
GAME
Defensive Backfield
One of the great things a
I hope Coach Spurrier get
Spurrier winning at footb
The Field
Finbaum Jogs on USC campu

Old 06-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material
Default Grant Hill Retires After 19 Seasons

I am sad to see him retire even though the writing was on the wall. I always liked him as a player and hated that injuries prevented him from reaching his full potential. Still, 19 years is nothing to sneeze at and more than many NBA players can wish for. Grant Hill was a great ambassador for the sport and a winner. He has so much basketball knowledge and experience at the highest levels of basketball competition (awesome college career, all-star player, Olympic gold) that I hope he continues to be involved with basketball. If not at the NBA level, I would like to see him as an assistant coach and eventual head coach in college. He has played against the greatest players of the last two decades and in many different systems so I am sure he is an encyleopeadia of basketball knowledge; he has to be in a postion to pass this knowledge to the future players.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...nba-19-seasons
Quote:
LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Clippers forward Grant Hill announced his retirement Saturday after a 19-year career in NBA.

Hill made the announcement on TNT before Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals between the Miami Heat and the Indiana Pacers.

"I'm glad to say I'm done," Hill said. "I'm officially retired, moving on from playing. I had a great run. I'm announcing it now. ... I've been hinting at it the last few years. You get to a point where you just don't want to do it anymore but I've enjoyed it. I've loved it."

Hill, 40, signed a two-year, $4 million contract with the Clippers last year but had alluded several times at the end of this season that he would retire over the summer.

Hill only played in 29 games this season for the Clippers while battling various injuries, his fewest since 2006, and only saw action in the Clippers' last playoff game, a 118-105 loss to the Memphis Grizzlies in Game 6 of the first round.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material
Default Re: Grant Hill Retires After 19 Seasons

I wish there were more athletes like him.
Such a respected guy and he'll be a Hall of Famer

If he didn't have bad ankles he'd be one of the best small forwards of all time.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
GH
Moonocababa

Male

GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Old 06-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
GH
Moonocababa

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
I wish there were more athletes like him.
Such a respected guy and he'll be a Hall of Famer

If he didn't have bad ankles he'd be one of the best small forwards of all time.

Rep points sent man. I guess I will be waiting to see SLAM cover's dedication to him.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1706674488
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

pretty sure I have several different draft and rookie cards for him

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
Rep points sent man. I guess I will be waiting to see SLAM cover's dedication to him.
I'll return the favor when I'm able to haha.

I had a Grant Hill pistons jersey when I was a little kid, and it was the ridiculously ugly teal and gold one.

He was Lebron James before Lebron James.

#LukeForMod

Old 06-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
GH
Moonocababa

Male

Remember this commercial? It was cool that they got Bill Clinton to act in it also. Yeah that is Larry Bird but my point is that he looked a lot like Billy there.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #8
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

He was "the pass" that led to "the shot." Classy as classy gets. Great example of a guy that could play fiercely, but not be disrespectful or full of himself while doing so.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #9
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Remember this commercial? It was cool that they got Bill Clinton to act in it also.]
Fun fact. Grant's mom was Hillary Clinton's college roommate

#LukeForMod

Old 06-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

One of my favorite players of all time. Just a great athlete.

COCKDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #11
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

Grant reminds me of Herschel in that they were so great in college their pro career makes you say what might have been and their numbers which are very good to great get down played some what
Old 06-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #12
Ballpoint Man
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Ballpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPit

[quote=GH;3791129]Remember this commercial? It was cool that they got Bill Clinton to act in it also. Yeah that is Larry Bird but my point is that he looked a lot like Billy there.

I'm confused. Bill Clinton?
Ballpoint Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #13
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Great athlete and great person, much respect for him. But I feel like the guy has been retired for the past 12 years...(i know he's been injury ridden)
Old 06-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Mr. Triple Double back in the day.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #15
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
check out those awesome old Piston unis!!!!!!!

first, crazy that he played 19 seasons, idk what the Phoenix training staff does but its amazing

second crazy thing to me is that his co-rookie of the year from 94-95(?), is still playing as well, J.Kidd, not very well and should be dont but tech he still there....unless he just retired too
Old 06-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #16
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

[quote=Ballpoint Man;3791227]
Quote:
Remember this commercial? It was cool that they got Bill Clinton to act in it also. Yeah that is Larry Bird but my point is that he looked a lot like Billy there.

I'm confused. Bill Clinton?
white texted!!!!!!!!!

pts to GH for that, difficult to do now-a-days
Old 06-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #17
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

He was the consummate professional. Really wish he hadn't signed with Fila as a rookie, they had no experience in the hoops world. Bill Simmons addressed this in his Book of Basketball and I remember hearing one time an exec at Nike said something to the effect of "he wouldn't have had those ankle issues if he had signed with us." Hill was a great player but got robbed by his ankles. He will be great on TV though, look forward to the bidding war for him between TNT and ESPN.
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #18
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Rob View Post
He was the consummate professional. Really wish he hadn't signed with Fila as a rookie, they had no experience in the hoops world. Bill Simmons addressed this in his Book of Basketball and I remember hearing one time an exec at Nike said something to the effect of "he wouldn't have had those ankle issues if he had signed with us." Hill was a great player but got robbed by his ankles. He will be great on TV though, look forward to the bidding war for him between TNT and ESPN.
Kind of off topic, but the same thing is being said today regarding Adidas and ACL/Injuries.

I believe it's been "debunked" but it's weird to see all those guys go down with knee injuries (Wall, Rose, Shumpert, Gallinari, Barbosa, Rubio)

#LukeForMod

Old 06-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #19
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

impossible to know if its what led to the chronic injuries, but i wish he hadnt played on that badly injured ankle late during that last season in detroit.
crowcutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #20
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

I know it's difficult to say exactly what caused it, but you have to give it to Nike, no other company does its due diligence with bringing each athlete they sign to bring them to the campus and really scientifically create shoes for the specific player. Hell that goes all the way back to Steve Prefontaine.
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote