CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
b381l
Regalcock
mpilot0705
U-Dub Gamecock
Storm Of Spurs
talkincock
doubledribble
gamecockgal
catdaddy66
**USC vs. South Alab (18469)
Clemson (2419)
Drew Owens missing? (2310)
Question about after (1927)
Dylan Thompson surpa (1235)
Shaq Roland (1199)
FishFry 47-yarder (707)
clemson game time: N (682)
How about this scena (546)
Tenn-Mizzou game (386)
Clemson fan here
Clemson
Question about after the
Winston
Tenn-Mizzou game
Drew Owens missing?
UFC Fight Night 57: Frank
what I think ab ward
2014 Charleston Classic *
Gamecock Men Have Been Fa

Old 06-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
Rooster Booster
Pastor of Disaster

Male

CockyCash: 500
Rooster Booster has feathers coming inRooster Booster has feathers coming in
Default UCLA Baseball team on Sportscenter

Just saw this year's CWS champs on Sportscenter - like, live on the set and appearing on several segments. I don't remember us being invited on SC even after back-to-back title wins. Am I "misremembering?"

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man. Wooooo!" - Ric Flair
Rooster Booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2462144
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material
Default Re: UCLA Baseball team on Sportscenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Booster View Post
Just saw this year's CWS champs on Sportscenter - like, live on the set and appearing on several segments. I don't remember us being invited on SC even after back-to-back title wins. Am I "misremembering?"
You beat me to it. I saw this as well and came to CT to bitch about it.

ESPN hates us.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
Wiz Khalifa
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Wiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudly

Yeah, kinda f'ed up imo. As I was watching it, I tried to see the logic why they got a SportsCenter involvement and we didnt. The only reasonable thing I came us that UCLA is in Los Angelas, one of the two locations(I believe) SportsCenter is shot. I bet our kids would have loved a flight to wither Bristol or LA for a SportsCenter cameo. whatever...
Old 06-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
CockyCash: 117561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material

That was 3 years ago. ESPN is doing more with baseball these days. They even have the baseball equivalent of NFL red zone.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
FeartheSpur
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 717
FeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPit

Just shows how college baseball has progressed
FeartheSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2462144
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I think the team will have a viable reason to b!tch if they win it all in 2014 and don't get an invite. Hey, maybe the guys can use it as motivation for next season, I don't know.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
COCKYWOOD
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

Maybe Orel and his love for ucla baseball arranged it for them .
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
bravecock524
Nesemiea

Male

CockyCash: 40960
bravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPit

Maybe because UCLA is in LA where there is an ESPN studio.
bravecock524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
Rooster Booster
Pastor of Disaster

Male

Rooster Booster has feathers coming inRooster Booster has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravecock524 View Post
I'm willing to accept this explanation. I don't think ESPN "hates" us. I think ESPN is a big, often-unprofessional entertainment channel posing as a sports news network, but I don't think they hate us.

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man. Wooooo!" - Ric Flair
Rooster Booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Three reasons.
1-Baseball has grown on ESPN the last three years, and they really made an effort this year to get the regionals on TV and treat it like March Madness.

2-UCLA has an interesting story...out of the 100+ national titles, this is the first in baseball. (Granted, I believe about 60 percent of their titles are in basketball, volleyball, tennis and water polo).

Side note...I thought UCLA football had more...but they just have one.

3-Sportscenter LA
That broadcast really puts emphasis on the LA teams and highlights them.
Same way Sportscenter NY would high the say a NY basketball team winning the NCAA title.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
cockyness11
Banned

Male

cockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudly

I really do feel that we were one of the major contributors of how College baseball has exploded on to the scene via fans... If we didn't have the 3 yr, record breaking, back to back natty's run like we did, then college baseball coverage wouldn't be what it is today... They showed every play of the post season for college baseball for the first time ever this year... When the whole thing started rolling for us, we were considered to be just another Cinderella team, that was good, but couldn't take out the big boys... We had our backs to the wall and three outs away from never even making it to Omaha when Walker belts a 3 run homer vs Coastal Carolina just to get us to Omaha then we lose to Oklahoma the very first game... Everybody wrote us off at that point, but we all know what happened after that... I don't think the most exciting part was the wins, it was how we won those games is why people started getting excited about College baseball... We brought the excitement to the game of college baseball again and that is something no one could ever deny... We had a pitcher evolve and grow into being one of the most dominate pitchers to ever take the mound in Omaha and a team that could have their backs to the wall with one out away from losing, but always came up with that clutch hit to push us over the top... I mean it was exciting watching our team during that stretch for all fans of the game, not just Carolina fans...
cockyness11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
CockyCash: 117561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravecock524 View Post
There is an ESPN studio in Charlotte. 45 min away from Columbia.(probably same drive time as LA with dealing with traffic.) ESPNU is based out of that studio.

So, not a valid argument.

I think it is more a progression of ESPNs coverage.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #13
CarolinaLaw12

CockyCash:

Same reason the jets are always talked about no matter how bad they suck. Hometown team. They did say they were going to out more emphasis on baseball. Maybe if unc didn't screw us out of a trip to Omaha, that could have been us. Can't excuse those errors though.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #14
GarnetBlack&Blue
Burp Guns and Trust Funds

Male

CockyCash: 110363
GarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot material

I'll take it as a compliment... the ratings they got during our run is why they are emphasizing college baseball.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #15
GarnetBlack&Blue
Burp Guns and Trust Funds

Male

CockyCash: 110363
GarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockyness11 View Post
I really do feel that we were one of the major contributors of how College baseball has exploded on to the scene via fans... If we didn't have the 3 yr, record breaking, back to back natty's run like we did, then college baseball coverage wouldn't be what it is today... They showed every play of the post season for college baseball for the first time ever this year... When the whole thing started rolling for us, we were considered to be just another Cinderella team, that was good, but couldn't take out the big boys... We had our backs to the wall and three outs away from never even making it to Omaha when Walker belts a 3 run homer vs Coastal Carolina just to get us to Omaha then we lose to Oklahoma the very first game... Everybody wrote us off at that point, but we all know what happened after that... I don't think the most exciting part was the wins, it was how we won those games is why people started getting excited about College baseball... We brought the excitement to the game of college baseball again and that is something no one could ever deny... We had a pitcher evolve and grow into being one of the most dominate pitchers to ever take the mound in Omaha and a team that could have their backs to the wall with one out away from losing, but always came up with that clutch hit to push us over the top... I mean it was exciting watching our team during that stretch for all fans of the game, not just Carolina fans...
THIS^ We won some EPIC games in that run... the kind of games people will remember who weren't fans of either team. Even my friends that went to Clemson were texting me during the 2nd Virginia game, because they couldn't believe what they were seeing.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #16
cockyness11
Banned

Male

cockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudly

If you want a reminder of how our "YARDCOCKS" changed the face of College Baseball then click on the link.....

http://youtu.be/1Oq3BKPzJcg
cockyness11 is offline   Reply With Quote