CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
taylorssc
GamecockSuperFan
KaneisAble
DTGCOCKS#32
ShutTheSuccop
The Yancey
Pw00132
Master Bedroom
GarnetSwarm1990
HBC Weekly Presser (1341)
Thompson Has Neck In (1169)
Funny? (1110)
Nosovitch (689)
Zone Read Analysis w (639)
What fish do you eat (599)
KY Suspends 4 Player (525)
Clowney didnt get ma (450)
Mizzou's 30sec touch (422)
4th & 1 Play (372)
One player could have cha
Funny?
State talent drying up
QB Recruiting Strategy
HBC Weekly Presser
10-2
Defer Or Not?
Mizzou's 30sec touchdown
Thompson Has Neck Injury
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2

Old 07-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
uscfwbfan
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1410
uscfwbfan has earned his spursuscfwbfan has earned his spursuscfwbfan has earned his spursuscfwbfan has earned his spursuscfwbfan has earned his spursuscfwbfan has earned his spurs
Default Pulled Pork - Crockpot

Has anyone done pulled pork in a crockpot? If so, how did it turn out? Did you use a shoulder or loin? Rub or liquid? Thanks!
Old 07-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

CockyCash: 1000
GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material
Default Re: Pulled Pork - Crockpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscfwbfan View Post
Has anyone done pulled pork in a crockpot? If so, how did it turn out? Did you use a shoulder or loin? Rub or liquid? Thanks!
Being that I live in an apartment and I don't have a grill, I do this all the time. No promise that mine is any good either though.

I add maybe a half cup of water, I rub down the pork (shoulder usually), and then put it in the crockpot, set it on low, go to work, come back home after 7-8 hours, and I pull it with a fork. I don't sauce mine because there is some much food that I use different sauces over the next few days. Super easy and you have lots of food. I took one to work (I teach) one day for a hall lunch and everyone loved it.
GoCCUChants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
stiffolcock
trust me

Male

CockyCash: 200
stiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot material

works great for me every time. loin, applewood rub(mccormicks grill mates) 16oz can of chicken broth. fat side up, cook on low for 8 or so hours. i lift the fat off the loin after cooking, leave only a cup or so of liquid, dash of liquid smoke, 2 bottles of cattlemans smokehouse. fill up buns, enjoy pure pork pleasure.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Butts (shoulder) is better for pulling.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
stiffolcock
trust me

Male

stiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot material

forgot to add, shred with 2 meatforks after adding bbq sauce.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

America's Test Kitchen has a great recipe that I've modified over the years:
http://www.americastestkitchen.com/r...hp?docid=23238

You'll need to register for a free acct to see it. Browning the meat in a pan after you shred it works very well. I have an oval shaped dutch oven that works way better than crock pots. Can stick it in the oven, lid seals well.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
JNGolf
#PlayInTheNow

Male

CockyCash: 12500000
JNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot material

I do it all the time with a boneless loin. I salt it and put it in the crock pot on medium overnight until about lunch time the next day. When its done, it just crumbles with a fork. I pull it apart and then add my sauce of choice and mostly use it for sandwiches.
JNGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

Use a Boston Butt, Rub it & let it sit for a few hours. Put in Crock Pot, cover with sliced raw onion (rings) & pour a half a can of Original Coca Cola. Cook it overnight. Take it out, let it cool down & remove fat & pull. Cover with Cattlemans Southern Gold BBQ Sauce.

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooddddd Shizzle.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
ssladler
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 934
ssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his comb

It's a sorry substitute for the real thing. When I lived up north in the big city, we made do with this, but the difference between crock pot and smoked is like night and day.
ssladler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssladler View Post
It's a sorry substitute for the real thing. When I lived up north in the big city, we made do with this, but the difference between crock pot and smoked is like night and day.
As long as he doesn't call it BBQ we're all good

Crock pot pulled pork gives you a good product, but no, it's nowhere near BBQ pulled pork.

For some that's good enough ... it's easier and less time consuming.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #11
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Yea, we use loin or butt. Pour a cup or so of Coke or Dr. Pepper, whatever you want, into the crockpot and then let it cook all day at work. Come home and pull it. I actually prefer to go ahead and mix mine thoroughly with a lot of sauce and then let it sit in the frig overnight. I prefer a sweet hickory type sauce for this application. I actually eat it cold on a bun with slaw and it's really good. I think the sauce sinks into the meat much better if you let it sit in the frig over night.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

This is one of many reasons why I love the south. I went to North Dakota for 2 weeks to look for jobs and my brother in law told me that there were NO Bar-B-QUE restaurants in North Dakota. I about passed out. Imagine how much money somebody could make if they had some pits and a nice place to cook and serve it in. There's a place here called Willy Jewels and they make a killing even though there's a Sonny's right up the road.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
uscfwbfan
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1410
uscfwbfan has earned his spursuscfwbfan has earned his spursuscfwbfan has earned his spursuscfwbfan has earned his spursuscfwbfan has earned his spursuscfwbfan has earned his spurs

I appreciate the advise from all...using crockpot for the simplicity only. Good recipes!
Old 07-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I did this last night. Don't have the exact measurements in front of me right now:

Pork Loin
Sliced Onion
Orange Juice
Red Wine Vinegar
Lemon Juice & Zest
Minced Garlic
Cumin
Red Pepper
Montreal Steak Seasoning
Salt
3 Bay Leaves

Lay in sliced onions, then the pork, rub down with garlic. Pour in the rest of the ingrediants and cook on low for 6-7 hours.

Recipe says slice the loin but I pull it out and let it rest a bit then pull it and put it back into the sauce.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:50 AM   #15
SamAdamsCockyAle
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 583
SamAdamsCockyAle has feathers coming inSamAdamsCockyAle has feathers coming inSamAdamsCockyAle has feathers coming in

I'm noticing it's pretty common to add the sauce after it's done cooking. Is this the best way to do it, or does cooking it in the sauce not make much of a difference?
SamAdamsCockyAle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #16
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

There is nothing wrong with crockpot BBQ. It will never approach the real stuff though. Still, any BBQ is better than no BBQ. There have been times when for reasons of weather or just plain convenience I have cooked it that way. Its all good.

This past winter my butcher gave me one of these prepackaged rubbed pork shoulders made for the crockpot. Free is free so I gave it a try. You just drop the paste covered pork shoulder in the machine and let it go on slow. No liquids are added. It pulled OK and the consensus was that it was good but not nearly as good as my own. I don't like sugary meats and this wasn't. Had a pleasant Southwestern flavor. BTW, it had been brined with the seasonings as well. I can do without all of the chemicals used in these things. One big reason for doing your own. On rare occasion it is probably OK though.

Nutritional Information

Serving Size: 112gServings per Container: varies

Amount Per Serving
Calories: 200
Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 340mgTotal Carbs: 2gFiber: 0gSugars: 0gProtein: 18g

Ingredients: Tenderness and Juiciness Improved with Up to Twelve Percent ++Solution Ingredients: Water, Potassium Lactate, Sodium Phosphates, Salt, Sodium Diacetate. +++Seasoning Ingredients: Chili Peppers, Onion, Salt, Paprika, Cumin, Cayenne, Pepper, Garlic, Ginger, Oregano, Celery Seed, Thyme. of a Patented Flavoring Solution++ Rubbed with BBQ Seasoning+++ ++Solution Ingredients: Water, Potassium Lactate, Sodium Phosphates, Salt, Sodium Diacetate. +++Seasoning Ingredients: Chili Peppers, Onion, Salt, Paprika, Cumin, Cayenne, Pepper, Garlic, Ginger, Oregano, Celery Seed, Thyme.

Allergens: No Allergens present

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #17
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamAdamsCockyAle View Post
I'm noticing it's pretty common to add the sauce after it's done cooking. Is this the best way to do it, or does cooking it in the sauce not make much of a difference?
Cook it in the brine or whatever mixture you have, and then add sauce later. If you cook it in the sauce too. All of those flavors are going to start mixing and confusing themselves. Cook it without, and then add sauce for that top flavor.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #18
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
There is nothing wrong with crockpot BBQ. It will never approach the real stuff though. Still, any BBQ is better than no BBQ. There have been times when for reasons of weather or just plain convenience I have cooked it that way. Its all good.

Crockpot pulled pork is not BBQ. BBQ is the low and slow cooking method.

You can still get pulled pork from cooking in a crockpot or oven, but that doesn't make it BBQ.

That's like going to an ACC game and saying "I just watched Football." It may look at feel the same, but it's nowhere close to being the same thing.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #19
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

This isn't exactly pulled pork but I did it two weeks ago and it was awesome!
http://i.imgur.com/dxwRT.jpg
Old 07-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #20
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
Crockpot pulled pork is not BBQ. BBQ is the low and slow cooking method.

You can still get pulled pork from cooking in a crockpot or oven, but that doesn't make it BBQ.

That's like going to an ACC game and saying "I just watched Football." It may look at feel the same, but it's nowhere close to being the same thing.

Agreed.

No smoke = no Barbecue.

Anyways we did a BBQ thread a while back where I posted my brine and dry rub recipes. I've used them in oven-cooked pork with no problems, so you should have no issue with the crockpot. You can also cheat a little and add some liquid smoke for additional flavor, but you still won't get close to a good barbeque. Either way though, you'll have a decent sandwich.