CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
eaglegolf018
Coulwoodwarlord
ReadR00ster
SAETerrier
HelleraisingCock
JerseyBird
Cockhornleghorn
GamecockStud
bigdog2003
gamecock88
Larenz Bryant update (1695)
Joeckel Transfering (965)
Victor Hampton Arres (831)
UK's Whitlow to tran (685)
2016 - Greg Little (672)
What type of snake i (509)
response from charte (492)
Wu Tang affiliated r (426)
13 Vintage Internet (256)
Attendance next seas (221)
Joeckel Transfering from
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
boiled peanuts
Kelcy and Vic questioned
Larenz Bryant update?
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Softball takes 2 of 3 at
Victor Hampton Arrested
Steak and eggs
2015 - Clelin Ferrell

Old 07-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
Lil Jerry_Seinfeld
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lil Jerry_Seinfeld has hatched from the shell
Default Who is the greater DE Clowney or Abraham

Two things. I've had two gamecock questions and didn't want to waste two threads. So, i will combine them.
1. Obviously Clowney is the man, but John Abraham was a beast, and he played on some of the worst teams we've ever had. Also, Abraham's career in the League is phenomenal. To last in the league as long as he has and to be a pro bowler, that's outstanding. Most of you will probably say I'm dead wrong, but I think it's a toss up between the two. I wouldn't say Clowney is better than Abraham. Maybe I've missed it, but I've never heard Abraham mentioned along with Clowney as far as greatness (like when people compare Marcus and George), and Abraham is one if our greatest, IMO.
2. Second, my new all time favorite radio call is the Todd Ellis 'who cares, who cares' call for Swearinger v Ark. For me it has beaten Munson's Bennett TD call (unless I'm around a UGA fan). Any other awesome calls from Ellis or was that an outlier?
Lil Jerry_Seinfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:46 AM   #2
cockyjordan3
Wofford Terrier

Male

CockyCash: 392442
cockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot materialcockyjordan3 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Re: Who is the greater DE Clowney or Abraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Jerry_Seinfeld View Post
Two things. I've had two gamecock questions and didn't want to waste two threads. So, i will combine them.
1. Obviously Clowney is the man, but John Abraham was a beast, and he played on some of the worst teams we've ever had. Also, Abraham's career in the League is phenomenal. To last in the league as long as he has and to be a pro bowler, that's outstanding. Most of you will probably say I'm dead wrong, but I think it's a toss up between the two. I wouldn't say Clowney is better than Abraham. Maybe I've missed it, but I've never heard Abraham mentioned along with Clowney as far as greatness (like when people compare Marcus and George), and Abraham is one if our greatest, IMO.
2. Second, my new all time favorite radio call is the Todd Ellis 'who cares, who cares' call for Swearinger v Ark. For me it has beaten Munson's Bennett TD call (unless I'm around a UGA fan). Any other awesome calls from Ellis or was that an outlier?
Abraham is no where near the physical specimen that Clowney is. Outside of Peppers, I can't think of anyone in CFB history that is.

cockyjordan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:03 AM   #3
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Who is the greater DE Clowney or Abraham

Compare apples to apples....Jadeveon has had a significantly better first 2 years in college v. what John did.
The rest is yet to be played out.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Yeah, he had a much better two years, but he is also on a much better team. JA was on a winless team. That matters.

I still think JC is better.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
JA was on a winless team. That matters.
His Sr. year....Jadeveon will never have a Sr. year.
John had 21 solo tackles and 10.5 sacks after 2 years.
Jadeveon has 57 solo tackles and 20 sacks after 2 years. That matters.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
bgallup
Blue Chip

Male

2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 2nd place 
CockyCash: 6230
bgallup rules the CockPitbgallup rules the CockPitbgallup rules the CockPitbgallup rules the CockPitbgallup rules the CockPitbgallup rules the CockPitbgallup rules the CockPitbgallup rules the CockPitbgallup rules the CockPitbgallup rules the CockPitbgallup rules the CockPit
Send a message via Yahoo to bgallup

Say what you want about there college careers. I guarantee if you ask any college kid would they take John A. Career numbers in te NFL and everyone one would say hell yeah!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1731774588
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallup View Post
Say what you want about there college careers. I guarantee if you ask any college kid would they take John A. Career numbers in te NFL and everyone one would say hell yeah!
of course they would...he has had a great NFL career...his college career was ok, but nothing amazing...right now the only valid comparison (and even that one is weak because of the vast difference in the quality of the remainder of the teams that they played on) is their College career, in 10-15 (maybe sooner depending on how big a splash Clowney makes next season) years you can compare NFL careers...

Guess what I am saying is that its awful hard to compare potential to actual results...and Clowney hasnt had a chance to give any (NFL) results yet
Old 07-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallup View Post
Sure....you could say that about Jamarcus Russell v. Johnny Manziel. Jarmarcus has better NFL numbers than Johnny Football.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yeah, he had a much better two years, but he is also on a much better team. JA was on a winless team. That matters.
Right and wrong. Despite the losses, Carolina's defense was in the top 3 in the SEC both of the dud years. They set records on offense for negative yardage plays, but the defense was stout. Abraham had great speed like Clowney but wasn't as good or dominant overall.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

As for the two, they're both Gamecocks so they're both great. Statistically JD blows JA out of the water.

As for Ellis' comments..No. One time Shaw ran a long TD against The Citadel (I think) and Ellis got so excited he was calling out the yard markers. "Shaw breaks loose, he's on the 40, the 45, the 50, the 55, ....yes, he said 55. It was funny to hear because he knew Shaw was taking it to the house for a TD.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
As for the two, they're both Gamecocks so they're both great. Statistically JD blows JA out of the water.

As for Ellis' comments..No. One time Shaw ran a long TD against The Citadel (I think) and Ellis got so excited he was calling out the yard markers. "Shaw breaks loose, he's on the 40, the 45, the 50, the 55, ....yes, he said 55. It was funny to hear because he knew Shaw was taking it to the house for a TD.
I dunno, I still think WHO CARES, WHO CARES takes the cake
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
uscsig
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 590
uscsig is developing his combuscsig is developing his combuscsig is developing his combuscsig is developing his combuscsig is developing his combuscsig is developing his combuscsig is developing his combuscsig is developing his combuscsig is developing his combuscsig is developing his comb

John played one year of HS football. He was learning the game in college. You can't compare the two. He was highly touted as a hoops player and only played football to help out the coach at Lamar.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #13
MACXIMVS
mac'in aint easy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Avatar 
CockyCash: 12700
MACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot materialMACXIMVS is USC mascot material

Doo doo Iz da man but old Abe was a awesome player

MACXIMVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscsig View Post
John played one year of HS football. He was learning the game in college. You can't compare the two. He was highly touted as a hoops player and only played football to help out the coach at Lamar.
Plus John wasn't as physically developed as Jadeveon at the same age.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #15
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
His Sr. year....Jadeveon will never have a Sr. year.
John had 21 solo tackles and 10.5 sacks after 2 years.
Jadeveon has 57 solo tackles and 20 sacks after 2 years. That matters.

ohhhh. Victimized by the selective quote.

Like I said, I still think JC is better.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #16
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Sure....you could say that about Jamarcus Russell v. Johnny Manziel. Jarmarcus has better NFL numbers than Johnny Football.

Not by much tho

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #17
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
ohhhh. Victimized by the selective quote.

Like I said, I still think JC is better.
And he'll never play on a winless team his Sr season.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #18
gotrice?
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 5600
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Clowney will probably go down as the greatest player we have ever or will ever produce barring us getting the next Tom Brady or Peyton Manning at QB so obviously Clowney. That is not a slight to any of our past or future players but Clowney is the definition of a freak of nature.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #19
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material

Clowney's a freak plain and simple. Abraham was very good (was even a track star in high school) and it's too bad he played for such horrible teams so he didn't get more praise nationally in college but Clowney's in a league of his own. Here's an old clip of Big John Abraham his freshman year against Clemson:

Old 07-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #20
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

Quote:
And he'll never play on a winless team his Sr season.
Thank goodness. Those were dark days.

back then, we missed out on so many of the top players in SC.