CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Regalcock
JerseyBird
ConwayGamecock
CockyLifer
The Yancey
Gamecocks1137
catdaddy66
SMOTFS86
B-G
GregoryHouse
Has the window close (1218)
Bruce!!! (1093)
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu (790)
Kentucky is dominati (729)
Question for those w (654)
**USC vs. Coker GAME (546)
2014 Subway Classic: (531)
UFC Fight Night 58: (460)
Going to the Duck Bo (306)
Ali Hospitalized Wit (113)
Decommitment from Texas A
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
**USC vs. Coker GAME Thre
***2014 Carolina Panthers
Cocky at the Duck Command
Bruce!!!
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu
Question for those who ha
Going to the Duck Bowl?
The Vent and Coaching cha

Old 07-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
GregoryHouse
FB = Greeb Oval

Male

CockyCash: 30400
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material
Default The Moon Landing: July 20, 1969

Who here is old enough to remember the U.S. landing astronauts on the moon?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
TheMule
Br Ba

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule
Default Re: The Moon Landing: July 20, 1969

Oh yeah. My uncle was working for NASA at the time. When he told us how it would be done we thought it was crazy. After all the movies always showed a big rocket launching from Earth and then landing at its destination. What an amazing feat of engineering and bravery. Goosebumps then; goosebumps now.

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
GregoryHouse
FB = Greeb Oval

Male

GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

I am very interested to hear about what it was like to see, hear or read about such a momentous feat during that time.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

CockyCash: 200
GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

I thought it happened in 94

GoCCUChants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
TheMule
Br Ba

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
I am very interested to hear about what it was like to see, hear or read about such a momentous feat during that time.
Keep in mind that I was 17 at the time and was interested in things other than news events. And even the greatest events fade over time.

It caught me by surprise when Apollo 8 went to the moon (heckuva Christmas road trip.) Apollo 9...just in Earth orbit. Apollo 10 went to the moon again and once again didn't land. Are they actually going to touch down any time soon??? After all there were rumors that the USSR was going to land on the moon at any time and we -had- to beat them.

Earle (the uncle who worked at NASA) always came "home" July 4th week but not in 1969. Maybe this upcoming launch is the one. We gathered to watch the launch like we usually did. That's when I heard what I wanted to hear: if all goes well these people will be landing on the moon in a few days!

It seemed like weeks instead of days and we made sure to catch Walter Cronkite every evening. Finally they were there. Another day in lunar orbit then finally the eagle has landed. No one wanted to leave the TV "just in case" the walk happened earlier than expected. Finally a ghost of a figure appeared around 11 pm and honestly was was difficult to see. But by golly, there he was and with a hop off the ladder man had set foot on the moon.

No one said much. We were too awed by it all. But there were huge smiles and a lot of pride not only in our country but in Earle too. The headlines of the local paper looked like they were 6" high: MAN WALKS ON MOON. And I always got a kick out of looking at the moon any time we had astronauts on it and thinking, "there are actually live human beings walking around up there."

That's the perspective from one small town boy.

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I was 19. I remember it well. We watched that moon landing. The entire country watched it. Heck, the whole world was watching. It was a triumph of engineering, aviation, and the human spirit. If I close my eyes I can still conjure up the sense of awe and pride I felt at that moment.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1715674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

It was faked...on a soundstage somewhere

At least I have a coworker who will swear that's the case...he also believes there were no dinosaurs...

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

I remember the 1st space a shuttle Launch. But was bit around for the moon landing.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
SwampFox
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 500
SwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot material

I was 10. We were stationed at Sheppard AFB, TX at the time. Back then NASA gave out documents by the ton. All you had to do was write the designated installation for your state and ask for stuff. I still have s few of those items.

Scotland Forever

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...eum/index.html
SwampFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
GregoryHouse
FB = Greeb Oval

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
It was faked...on a soundstage somewhere

At least I have a coworker who will swear that's the case...he also believes there were no dinosaurs...

Don't come in here talking that crap or you'll get a punch in the face.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1715674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

Quote:
I promise you I have a coworker who firmly believes it was faked...he has several other interesting "conspiracy" theories too

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #12
USC girl
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 85848102
USC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot materialUSC girl is USC mascot material

Quote:
Old 07-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #13
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

I was conceived by then, but not yet birthed.

Hate I missed it.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #14
SwampFox
1st Team All-American

Male

SwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot material

Quote:
I promise you I have a coworker who firmly believes it was faked
Well the Russians were watching our every move on that mission. Had it been faked, they would have told the whole world. Perhaps your co worker needs one of these from Buzz.

Scotland Forever

Old 07-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #15
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Who here is old enough to remember the U.S. landing astronauts on the moon?
I was in basic training at Fort Dix. I didn't believe it when they told us.

I was in the Smithsonian last week looking at it up close.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:37 AM   #16
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

At a church youth camp...watched it live...seemed like we expected it to happen and there it was. Still so cool that it was live on TV...

There also was Skylab, which was visible from the earth a few times late in the day as the sun hit it the right way....we saw it one time...it flew over unbelieveably fast...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylab

The Buzz Aldrin punch is awesome...that jerk deserved every bit of it.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:13 AM   #17
carolinacocky
Recruit

Male

carolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPitcarolinacocky rules the CockPit

I was 14 and at a month-long music camp at Appalachian State University. We weren't allowed TV's and the actual landing was after normal curfew/ bed check... but for this they made an exception. A bunch of us crowded around a small TV and watched, mostly in silence, at one of the most amazing events I have ever witnessed. With the Vietnam Nam war & protests, high race relation tensions, the Cold War and unsettling US political assassinations, the moon landing was a great source of national pride in a difficult period of our history.
carolinacocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #18
Ole Gregg
make an assessment

Male

CockyCash: 6567085
Ole Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot material

Wait, what moon landing? We landed on the moon?
w
\.
" Are you playing your love games with me? "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxaP19pY1FI
Ole Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #19
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 939000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

I was only 9, but completely mesmerized by everything that NASA did. My whole family was gathered around the television that day.

I have always hoped that we would set foot on Mars in my lifetime, and still can't believe we are no closer than we were that day 40+ years ago.
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #20
SwampFox
1st Team All-American

Male

If you have never been there, a trip to Kennedy Space Center is a must. To take in the whole place, you really need 2 days, but that is no problem, as you can get your ticket validated before you leave to come back within 7 days.

Since nothing is going on right now, additional tour stops are available at extra charge that allow you inside the launch control, Vehicle Assembly Building, and Pad 39A. The "Then and Now" Tour takes you onto the Air Force side where all the Mercury and Gemini launches took place. This is also something to consider if you have the time.

One other thing, there is an astronaut at the main gift shop just about every day. The shop will have a photo you can purchase and get signed.

http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/

Scotland Forever