CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
The Yancey
Gamecocks1137
catdaddy66
SMOTFS86
B-G
doubledribble
GregoryHouse
gamecockgal
JaxcockFL
crowcutta
Has the window close (1062)
Bruce!!! (920)
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu (742)
Kentucky is dominati (670)
Question for those w (606)
UFC Fight Night 58: (448)
**USC vs. Coker GAME (286)
Going to the Duck Bo (218)
This one gets better (199)
2014 Subway Classic: (171)
Streaming nfl games
My early Monday dinner .
Bruce!!!
Madden Connected Franchis
The Vent and Coaching cha
Decommitment from Texas A
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
SOLID OAK ENTERTAINMENT C
**USC vs. Coker GAME Thre
official UFC thread. (new

Old 07-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1000001185
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material
Default Catfish

Anybody else here watch the show? I never watch MTV or reality shows but I just started getting in to it. Pretty interesting. I've had these fake profiles try to add me in the past but never really thought anything of it.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
mwUSC
CLOWNEY COMIN'

Male

CockyCash: 500
mwUSC has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Anybody else here watch the show? I never watch MTV or reality shows but I just started getting in to it. Pretty interesting. I've had these fake profiles try to add me in the past but never really thought anything of it.
I've watched it since it started, it makes me wonder. Are people really that dumb, or is the show fake? Because it literally takes the show producers 5 min to Google the "catfisher" and figure out they are fake. Either that, or the people being catfished don't want to know that it's a fake they are talking to.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
klempsux
So down with OPP

Male

CockyCash: 531
klempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwUSC View Post
I've watched it since it started, it makes me wonder. Are people really that dumb, or is the show fake? Because it literally takes the show producers 5 min to Google the "catfisher" and figure out they are fake. Either that, or the people being catfished don't want to know that it's a fake they are talking to.
They put out ads to find the "catfisher," they don't go through the victim. Fake as the Kardashians.
klempsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

The movie was really cool, haven't watched the show.

My guess is the show is probably like the movie, fake but interesting.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 57400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Is this the show where they catch those fish bare handed?
Old 07-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

I've watched every episode ever aired. haha. In my defense there's only been 12. Then the movie so I guess 13.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by klempsux View Post
They put out ads to find the "catfisher," they don't go through the victim. Fake as the Kardashians.
I'm not saying I disagree with you, but the show is from the side of the person being catfished, not the catfisher. Every ad I've seen (which isn't very many since the show blew up people are emailing in left and right) is looking for people in a relationship online with someone they haven't met.

Maybe it is fake but I still find it really interesting.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

One of the Gamecock pitchers have a story about someone trying to do this to them. It might have been Roth. I can't remember. Some chick was after him, and he found out she was doing the same to other players for some school project. There is an article out in cyberspace about it somewhere.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
JNGolf
#PlayInTheNow

Male

CockyCash: 12500000
JNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post
I've watched every episode ever aired. haha. In my defense there's only been 12. Then the movie so I guess 13.
There's been 14 episodes, a reunion special, and the original documentary movie.
JNGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:19 AM   #10
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockymac View Post
One of the Gamecock pitchers have a story about someone trying to do this to them. It might have been Roth. I can't remember. Some chick was after him, and he found out she was doing the same to other players for some school project. There is an article out in cyberspace about it somewhere.
It was Roth on his blog. After a while he googled her number and other randos on the internet said she had done the same to them. She claimed it was a project to see if people could fall in love over the phone but that's BS. Whoever she was, she probably just liked the attention.

http://michaelroth29.wordpress.com/2...r-a-catfisher/
Old 07-09-2013, 02:21 AM   #11
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

you cooking that catfish?
Clowneygotcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:03 AM   #12
Crazy_Gamecock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 282
Crazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot materialCrazy_Gamecock is USC mascot material

Manti T'eo stole my girlfriend

Posted from Cockytalk.com App for Android
Crazy_Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

so I must be a) late to the party and b) older, but I just heard this term last night, figured I search for it on CT this morning...

overheard some girls trick or treating talking about it when they came up to my house. So many questions, I don't even know where to begin. I did watch an episode to figure out more of whats going on.

My thoughts...both parties (the catfish and catfishee) usually have no self esteem. Listening to both sides talk its hysterical. For someone to claim the care or love someone they have never physically met for a long period of time is retarded. To not be able to see the writing on the wall when this "profile" always backs out at the last minute for meetings or dates, shows a lack of awareness. And to the person who creates a fake profile, how low can that person go? Who even has the time and energy to create and maintain something like that?

Whatever happened to meeting a girl at the bar? Or grocery store? Or wherever and just talking to them in person?? I am dumbfounded by this concept of catfishing...

Signed,
Not Hip to the Scene
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #14
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

ipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot material

I haven't watched the show. I saw the movie and it was so obviously fake it was laughable. Anyone who believed it should have their head examined.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #15
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
so I must be a) late to the party and b) older, but I just heard this term last night, figured I search for it on CT this morning...

overheard some girls trick or treating talking about it when they came up to my house. So many questions, I don't even know where to begin. I did watch an episode to figure out more of whats going on.

My thoughts...both parties (the catfish and catfishee) usually have no self esteem. Listening to both sides talk its hysterical. For someone to claim the care or love someone they have never physically met for a long period of time is retarded. To not be able to see the writing on the wall when this "profile" always backs out at the last minute for meetings or dates, shows a lack of awareness. And to the person who creates a fake profile, how low can that person go? Who even has the time and energy to create and maintain something like that?

Whatever happened to meeting a girl at the bar? Or grocery store? Or wherever and just talking to them in person?? I am dumbfounded by this concept of catfishing...

Signed,
Not Hip to the Scene
Have you seen how awkward some of these people are? They probably feel like they won't have success finding someone in person so they go online where they can be whoever they want to be or say whatever they want without the pressure of face to face conversation. Being rejected over the internet is a lot easier than being rejected in person. To them the time and energy put into the profile is worth it for the idea of having someone who will talk to them and make them feel better about themselves. At the end of every episode they talk more in depth with every Catfish and 9 times out of 10 the issue lies in their low self esteem. Some of them just like the idea of trying to bait as many people in as they can.

As far as the person being Catfished most of the time they are dumb to believe what they do. But a lot of them have issues in their past that make them desperately want someone to talk to that they are willing to overlook the most glaring holes in the Catfish's story.

BTW, I'm not justifying it at all. Just explaining why I think people are the way they are.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #16
ScottK
Blue Chip

Male

ScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
The movie was really cool, haven't watched the show.

My guess is the show is probably like the movie, fake but interesting.
I always just assumed the movie was fake because of the fact the host guy was supposedly interested in a girl in it...
ScottK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #17
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Have you seen how awkward some of these people are? They probably feel like they won't have success finding someone in person so they go online where they can be whoever they want to be or say whatever they want without the pressure of face to face conversation. Being rejected over the internet is a lot easier than being rejected in person. To them the time and energy put into the profile is worth it for the idea of having someone who will talk to them and make them feel better about themselves. At the end of every episode they talk more in depth with every Catfish and 9 times out of 10 the issue lies in their low self esteem. Some of them just like the idea of trying to bait as many people in as they can.

As far as the person being Catfished most of the time they are dumb to believe what they do. But a lot of them have issues in their past that make them desperately want someone to talk to that they are willing to overlook the most glaring holes in the Catfish's story.

BTW, I'm not justifying it at all. Just explaining why I think people are the way they are.
You are right about it as far as both sides go, based on the one episode I watched. Apparently the internet is a comfortable place to hide behind.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #18
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottK View Post
I always just assumed the movie was fake because of the fact the host guy was supposedly interested in a girl in it...
The show was based off the documentary. The documentary came out in like 2010. MTV contacted them to create the spin off show in 2012, and asked the guy in the documentary to host. He didn't have any TV experience before that. His brother was a film maker and that's why they recorded the experience.

A lot of people still speculate it's fake, however.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #19
ScottK
Blue Chip

Male

ScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his comb

Quote:
The show was based off the documentary. The documentary came out in like 2010. MTV contacted them to create the spin off show in 2012, and asked the guy in the documentary to host. He didn't have any TV experience before that. His brother was a film maker and that's why they recorded the experience.

A lot of people still speculate it's fake, however.
Wait, his co-host is his brother? I may have assumed wrong then...
ScottK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #20
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Large portions of it (the movie) are fake.

They baited the woman in it into continuing what she was doing. They knew who she was from the very beginning.