CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CoverTwo
Singaporecock
ReadR00ster
sporkgod50
usc1
2000grad
jrussjr
markp_vip
G&B
ktguen
Group wants Clemson, (982)
Hillsborough (479)
Larenz Bryant update (459)
2015 - Chris Clark (425)
No.1 for 2016 has Ga (343)
UK's Whitlow to tran (269)
Bamberg High School (233)
GTA V online (224)
Its April 15th and i (173)
Joeckel Transfering (166)
A'ja Wilson
Kelcy and Vic questioned
Jameis Winston's Accuser
Larenz Bryant update?
response from charter abo
GTA V online
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
2015 - Emanuel McGirt
2015 - Lorenzo Nunez
Joeckel Transfering from

Old 07-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons
Default SEC Championship

I think we have a real good shot at making it to Atlanta this year. We have a favorable schedule, got talent coming back, and this little guy named Clowney. I think he's pretty good and should get a few sacks this year...

Our offense is also finally getting some momentum. Which I haven't seen in a while.

12-0 will no doubt get us there. 11-1 would too but depends on who we lose to and how every else does.

Anyway... I think AM/Bama winner will play us in Atlanta. It'd be a great game, no matter who we play.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material
Default Re: SEC Championship

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
I think we have a real good shot at making it to Atlanta this year. We have a favorable schedule, got talent coming back, and this little guy named Clowney. I think he's pretty good and should get a few sacks this year...

Our offense is also finally getting some momentum. Which I haven't seen in a while.

12-0 will no doubt get us there. 11-1 would too but depends on who we lose to and how every else does.

Anyway... I think AM/Bama winner will play us in Atlanta. It'd be a great game, no matter who we play.
Unlike a lot of people in the prediction thread, I also think that if we get to it, we will win it. Not sure why everyone is already settling for a loss and Surgar Bowl bid. Come on, don't give up hope before the season has even started.
Clowneygotcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I don't care who in the West makes it to Atlanta as long as we're the one's facing them come December. My personal choice would be TAMU.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
seamus
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 600
seamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudly

How do we get to 12-0 ???? One game at a time.
seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
SanAntonioCock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 84706
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

I would bet 11-1 would get us there. Watch out for LSU. I think John Chavis is the best DC in the country. They don't rebuild, they reload but I like our chances against them in Atlanta.

Never forget the "y"
SanAntonioCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonioCock View Post
I would bet 11-1 would get us there. Watch out for LSU. I think John Chavis is the best DC in the country. They don't rebuild, they reload but I like our chances against them in Atlanta.
LSU is good but I don't think they will get to ATL this year
Old 07-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowneygotcha View Post
Unlike a lot of people in the prediction thread, I also think that if we get to it, we will win it. Not sure why everyone is already settling for a loss and Surgar Bowl bid. Come on, don't give up hope before the season has even started.
I don't think anyone is saying that we can't win it. Obviously if we can get there, we can win it. It's the fact that Texas A&M and Alabama are just THAT good. No one looks at them on their schedule and say "Oh, that's an easy win."

And recently, aside from 2010 when we beat Alabama, when we play top ranked teams in the country we play well but come up short.

Note:

2009 vs. Florida
2009 vs. Alabama
2010 vs. Auburn (2nd Time wasn't so pretty)
2011 vs. Arkansas (Technically in it still until 4th quarter)
2012 vs. LSU
2012 vs. Florida

We played like shit in some of those, or played great, and just couldn't get a W. We can keep it close but we don't finish.

You would think we would learn to finish, but that comes with time, and quality depth. And that's something we just haven't gotten yet. You also need to remember that we are REALLY REALLY YOUNG at the LB position. You can just waltz into being an SEC Caliber LB as a freshmen - at least not many can. I know some of them aren't freshmen, but none of them were starters last year. We have a new LB core and we're thin with quality depth at LB and CB.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
C0cKfAn4lifE89
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 258
C0cKfAn4lifE89 has hatched from the shell

11-1 with a loss to either uga or florida is my prediction. But a 1 loss sec champion will play in the bcs championship game. hopefully uga beats clemsux. I say that because I would much rather play a uga team in uga coming off a big win then a big loss. imo. Florida scares me. And a&m im not sure I would want to face them for the first time in the big game, but this is the year if there ever was a year for us to do it. And im feeling good about it. We have the athletes, leadership, coaching, and finally uga type of schedule.

Go Cocks
C0cKfAn4lifE89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0cKfAn4lifE89 View Post
11-1 with a loss to either uga or florida is my prediction. But a 1 loss sec champion will play in the bcs championship game. hopefully uga beats clemsux. I say that because I would much rather play a uga team in uga coming off a big win then a big loss. imo. Florida scares me. And a&m im not sure I would want to face them for the first time in the big game, but this is the year if there ever was a year for us to do it. And im feeling good about it. We have the athletes, leadership, coaching, and finally uga type of schedule.

Go Cocks
I think we will get UF this year as we play them at home after a bye week. Plus they have lots of questions on offense. I feel that we will lose 1 reg season game, but can't tell which one...
Old 07-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Quote:
I think we will get UF this year as we play them at home after a bye week. Plus they have lots of questions on offense. I feel that we will lose 1 reg season game, but can't tell which one...
I hope your wrong. :)
Old 07-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #11
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

So, one does not just walk into Mordor?

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4USC View Post
So, one does not just walk into Mordor?
Bama did.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #13
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
They have a lot of questions on offense right now, but we play them deep into the season. They will have answers for those questions. They might not be pretty answers, but they will know exactly what their image is on offense by that point in the season. I still think we beat UF though, especially considering that we play them at home after a bye week like you pointed out.

I fear that we are in a similar position this year as the past 2. We have a great team. This team definitely has a run in it to make it to the SEC Championship game. There is a major difference though. In previous years, we beat Georgia and then would lose to a tough opponent and not make it to the SEC Championship. This year could be the same. I think we go 11-1 in the regular season, and I think our 1 loss is truly at Georgia, in Athens, at Sanford Stadium. They are a really good team this year and as much as I hate Georgia they're going to be a dominant team in the SEC.

Lets take a look at the SEC schedules and we can see what we think.

USC:

@ Georgia
vs. Vandy
vs. Kentucky
@ Arkansas
@ Tennessee
@ Missouri
vs. Miss St.
Bye
vs. Florida

UGA:

vs. South Carolina
vs. LSU
@ Tennessee
vs. Missouri
@ Vanderbilt
Bye
vs. Florida
@ Auburn
vs. Kentucky

Their schedule isn't that bad. They could easily go 8-0. I believe that Georgia is just as good as LSU when they play their best ball, and it's in Athens. If they start out 2-0 in SEC play they will finish at worst 7-1. There's little room for error in our schedule if we lose to Georgia.

My honest prediction is that Georgia is 7-1 in the SEC with a loss to either LSU or Florida, and we're 7-1 in the SEC with a loss to Georgia.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #14
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowneygotcha View Post
Bama did.
If we can but stay healthy, we shall meet them there, at the Dome of Georgia. Both the dwarves and the elves fight with men, and we shall conquer the Orcs of Bama.

The giant Clowney has said, "They shall NOT pass!"

I have seen it.

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #15
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4USC View Post
If we can but stay healthy, we shall meet them there, at the Dome of Georgia. Both the dwarves and the elves fight with men, and we shall conquer the Orcs of Bama.

The giant Clowney has said, "They shall NOT pass!"

I have seen it.
This.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #16
Spartan
Blue Chip

Male

Spartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
And recently, aside from 2010 when we beat Alabama, when we play top ranked teams in the country we play well but come up short.

Note:

2009 vs. Florida
2009 vs. Alabama
2010 vs. Auburn (2nd Time wasn't so pretty)
2011 vs. Arkansas (Technically in it still until 4th quarter)
2012 vs. LSU
2012 vs. Florida

We played like shit in some of those, or played great, and just couldn't get a W. We can keep it close but we don't finish.
I think every Gamecock fan would agree that the entire state of the Carolina athletics program today is predicated on the fact that the past does not dictate the future.

Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #17
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
I think every Gamecock fan would agree that the entire state of the Carolina athletics program today is predicated on the fact that the past does not dictate the future.
I agree, the past certainly does not dictate the future, but it certainly molds your opinion. That's not what I my post meant. Obviously I know we can beat any team we play - and I've said that before in many of post. But the PAST is all we have to base judgement on. You can't look at a schedule and predict the future with reason based on the future, you have to look at the past. So while I agree (again) that the past does not dictate the future, it DOES serve a purpose.

EDIT:

What I did mean, however, is that typically when playing what the AP thinks is a top 5 program in the country, we typically do not win. That's not an opinion of the past. That's factual. That would be why I said no one is marking Alabama or Texas A&M as a guarantee W if they were to be on our schedule. That's why no one is marking Georgia as a guarantee W.

*Guarantee W's (in my opinion) are those that if we were to be beat by them would be considered a MAJOR upset. (ie. Wofford now-a-days)

The past gives you an identity and the future holds the promise of salvation, of fulfillment in whatever form. Both are illusions.

Last edited by CarolinaGnB521; 07-13-2013 at 09:21 PM.
CarolinaGnB521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #18
GH

Male

CockyCash: 31828
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Quote:

The Gamecocks have the more favorable schedule out of Florida and Georgia.

I could very well see USC losing to Florida and Georgia and backing into the SECCG but I would not like to rely on others' help.

South Carolina doesn't have that LSU or Bama to worry about in the SEC west tripping them up but the most dangerous games, in order, are:

1) UGA - we have to go into Athens and try to beat a tough veteran Dog squad. I the good guys win, it will be the first time in history that the Gamecocks take four straight from Georgia. The good news is that a loss to UGA wont tank our season - but like I said, it is better for South Carolina if they beat the toughest team on their SEC Schedule and worry about the rest as trap games...a win would put the Bulldogs behind the eight ball and set South Carolina atop the SEC East for the majority of the season. with 47 days to go before the season starts I see this as a 50/50 game, and would give UGA a slight edge at home...however, they do have a shorter week to prepare and they play a more difficult opponent to open their season on the road playing that team from the upstate.

2) Missouri - After UGA, I believe it gets MUCH easier on the schedule....I think it will be strength of the teams we play but also the location, the stakes, the pressure, and the health of the garnet and black. Therefore, the Mizzou Tigers present the next toughest test because a) it is a road game and this team is 50% less potent on the road when facing an SEC opponent. add to this that the team will travel all the way to Missouri in late October (when the weather is a bit colder) and they may as well be playing on the moon. The strain of being on the road for the third straight week could be very mentally and physically draining on this team. b) The Gamecocks should be 6-1 (4-1) or 7-0 (5-0) entering this contest and still in the national top ten rankings; they'd also be right in the thick of the SEC chase - every game from the second week of the season gets exponentially bigger and this would be the hardest regular season game left on their schedule (as far as the SEC is concerned). c) I mentioned the health of the team earlier but it needs to be restated. I say this because the team will have been playing every week since the third week of September by that point (five week). There will be everything from sprains, muscle contusions and fatigue to colds, fevers, and weight loss - and that is hopefully the worst of it. Our saving grace may be that the Tigers will be just as tired and beat up as we are by the time we clash, they get no breaks before they play us, the Gamecocks match is preceded by Vandy, Florida and Georgia; I don't see them being able to take the 4th qtr off in any of those games and if they can then they are either getting their ass handed to them (so we may be able to do the same) or they blow past one or two of these teams (a long shot but other a FL or UGA loss to Missouri would do nothing but help The Gamecocks cause anyway.) With all this said, frankly a potential SEC champ and NC title contender would be able to handle such adversity and pull out the win. I am 55% confident USC wins this game at this point.

3) Tenn - It is not that I think Tenn is good. - they are in fact a horrible team, but this is an SEC road game. And it is the middle road game. Also, Last year, Tenn came into the Brice and nearly upset the Gamecocks 38-35. But like I said, the Volunteers are a hot mess that will be downtrodden by this time or a team that is rejuvenated after a change in coach and the loss of Bray (a great college QB but not the best team player or smartest slinger to play in Knoxville; Bray's loss could actually help the chemistry of the Vols squad). I believe the team will be the former as they are missing a lot of pieces this season. They are pretty much a year or two away from competing with Florida, UGA or South Carolina. Now they do have a bye week before they play the Gamecocks and that will help them a great deal as far as preparation and healing. I just hope they are looking past us to their rivalry with the Crimson Tide the week after the Gamecocks visit. I would place my confidence at 75%.

4) Arkansas - was last year a big aberration for the Hog? They loss Bobby Petrino in 2011 so this is very different team this year? Last year was a lost season under an interim coach who was in over his head and thrown to the wolves. I do not expect the Arkansas this year to be as good as they were 2011 and earlier but they should be stronger than that crazy 2012 team. but I put my confidence at a full 85%...same percentage with Kentucky and Vanderbilt but for differing reasons.

5) Florida - with everything on the line and the bad taste of the previous season, I cannot conceive of the Gamecocks not being ready for this game. The garnet & black are coming off a bye week, playing at home and have a weak opponent the next week. All the focus will be on this game - especially if this game decides the SEC East....therefore, right now I am 95% sure the Gamecocks win this game.

I would bet money that a one SEC loss Gamecock squad makes it to Atlanta. That loss will likely be at Georgia or Missouri. If we lose both games, we very well could watch UGA back their asses into the SECCG again but you would have to give UGA their due and just say the Gamecock did not do what they needed to do.

I do not see Florida being as good as they were last year based on the players they lost.

It will be UGA and South Carolina in a race to Atlanta.

In this regard, I give South Carolina a 70% chance of going to the SECCG, a 40% chance of South Carolina winning the SEC, and a 30% chance of South Carolina playing in the NC game. In other words, they have the same chance as UGA, LSU and Texas A&M of going 13-0 or 12-1 and facing Ohio State or one of the west coast powers in the title game). There also could be an SEC vs. SEC matchup with one of the four SEC teams against Bama in the NC game-assuming Bama loses their regular season game to Texas A&M. Bama plays A&M early in the season in College Station so they will not fall far if they lose and work their way back to #2 in the country by the end of the season (or possibly #1 as a 1 loss SEC Team).

In a season were the Gamecocks make note of the past good teams and players - a season were we step up efforts to embrace the notable points of our previous years, I do hope South Carolina can go further than they have gone at any point in their history. May this squad continue making history and make us forget histories. Too many have put effort to toil and tears that we should continue to elevate the entire program.

Last edited by GH; 07-13-2013 at 09:42 PM.
GH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #19
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
In this regard, I give South Carolina an 80% chance of going to the SECCG, a 70% chance of South Carolina winning the SEC, and a 50% chance of South Carolina playing in the NC game. In other words, they have the same chance as UGA, LSU and Texas A&M of going 13-0 or 12-1 and facing Ohio State or one of the west coast powers in the title game). There also could be an SEC vs SEC matchup with one of the four SEC teams against Bama in the NC game-assuming Bama loses their regular season game to Texas A&M. Bama plays A&M early in the season in College Station so they will not fall far if they lose and work their way back to #2 in the country by the end of the season (or possibly #1 as a 1 loss SEC Team).
This is the most interesting thing about college football this season. I know there is going to be some powers like Oregon, Ohio State, etc. but what if at the end of the Championship game, the records are this:

(for the sake of the good guys)

USC (lose to UGA - Beat A&M) 12-1
Bama (lose to A&M) 11-1
UGA (lose to FL) 11-1
Texas A&M (Lose to South Carolina) 12-1

That's a really interesting possibility, which would make the NC most likely be Bama vs. South Carolina, with Texas A&M going to the Sugar Bowl and Georgia possibly being a top 10 ranked program which very well could say they deserve to be in the National Championship forced out of the BCS and then forced to go the Capitol One bowl.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:13 AM   #20
C0cKfAn4lifE89
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 258
C0cKfAn4lifE89 has hatched from the shell

I think a lot of people are underestimating Florida. Regardless of who they may have loss, the talent is still there. And they have an athlete at the qb position (same dude as last year) if im not mistaken. Last year I was confident coming into the game and look at the outcome. But really its not just Florida, we cant go into any sec game with a 95% chance of winning attitude. That's when were trying to make a last possession drive to win the game against Kentucky, just saying. There are no guarantees in the sec.

The great part of being a gamecock right now though, is feeling confident about winning and winning A LOTS. All Im saying is don't overlook Florida, I mean they are the 3rd best team in the east. Behind 1.S. Carolina and 2. UGA ......
C0cKfAn4lifE89 is offline   Reply With Quote