CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
l^l^lBGCock
I Bleed Garnet
Ericvol2096
taylorssc
COCKYTALKIN
thekob
gadeneer1986
gamecockgal
Travelin
Interesting quotes f (1194)
We're going to the N (823)
Have you ever been s (716)
Tennessee Offense Br (592)
This season and recr (336)
COCKYTALK GOLF OUTIN (282)
Anyone have a recipe (265)
Women's Team Ranked (249)
Key for 2015 defense (180)
Favorite online flas (175)
Key for 2015 defense
Women's Team Ranked #2 In
We're going to the NCAA T
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
Lebron makes Cleveland re
SEC Coaches Dress Up for
Interesting quotes from D
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
Chances we win out now?
Have you ever been so wro

Old 07-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material
Default Tailgate TV advice

So I have a pair of season tix this year, and got a parking spot a the fair grounds (right at the bottom of the rocket).

So I want to have a TV during tailgates, you know, like a legit tailgate setup. There's two schools of power for tailgates, generator or deep cycle marine battery array. I don't have either. So far though, I think I'm leaning towards deep cycle marine batteries (2), invertor, to power my tv/receiver/dvd player.

I'm really just looking for blanket advice on running deep cycle battery set ups, if people want to recommend generators I'm up to listen to that side of things, I just think its more expensive than I'm going to spend.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
granicock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 448
granicock is sharpening his clawsgranicock is sharpening his clawsgranicock is sharpening his clawsgranicock is sharpening his claws
Default Re: Tailgate TV advice

I use a 12 volt AGM deep cycle marine battery and an inverter with battery clamps that has 2 - 15 amp receptacles. I plug in 32" LCD tv and DirectTV satellite receiver or digital antenna. This set-up works well, is not very complicated. The battery will will usually last > 8 hrs on a single charge. Make sure you recharge the battery as soon as you get back home.
granicock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by granicock View Post
I use a 12 volt AGM deep cycle marine battery and an inverter with battery clamps that has 2 - 15 amp receptacles. I plug in 32" LCD tv and DirectTV satellite receiver or digital antenna. This set-up works well, is not very complicated. The battery will will usually last > 8 hrs on a single charge. Make sure you recharge the battery as soon as you get back home.
Sounds like you boys are trying to radio in alien spacecraft, not make a tv work lol
Old 07-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

well, I just think the battery way is cheaper than getting a generator.

But yes, I want to remotely access satellites . . . . but it's just to watch TV during a tailgate!
Old 07-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
Tolley
4-Star

Male

Tolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPit

I've never tried the deep cycle battery, but I can speak about generators. I have a Yamaha 2400 and it's so easy it's ridiculous. Make sure there's gas, turn a knob, push a button and pull the cord. Bam! This particular generator is pretty expensive, but it's super quiet. Once we turn on the tv, you can't even hear it. It's also going to come in handy if we ever have a power outage. I'll be able to run a tv, refridgerator and a couple other appliances without it breaking a sweat. Try doing that with a deep cycle battery.
Tolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material
Default Tailgate TV advice

I have two ever start Maxx marine batteries. I connect them in parallel with those cheap connector cables from walmart and can watch TV from Gameday through the night games. I got the $40 inverter from Walmart and it suits my needs (tv and one more appliance). If you need to hook up more appliances, just get a larger inverter. Way cheaper than a good generator.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
granicock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 448
granicock is sharpening his clawsgranicock is sharpening his clawsgranicock is sharpening his clawsgranicock is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
I have two ever start Maxx marine batteries. I connect them in parallel with those cheap connector cables from walmart and can watch TV from Gameday through the night games. I got the $40 inverter from Walmart and it suits my needs (tv and one more appliance). If you need to hook up more appliances, just get a larger inverter. Way cheaper than a good generator.
I agree, way cheaper than a generator, I have < $160 tied up in the marine battery and inverter.

Plus the added benefit of zero noise and no smelly gasoline.

The battery and inverter sit in the back of the SUV behind the TV. No need to lug around a generator and find a place it doesn't affect other people's tailgating experience.
granicock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

how much did you pay for the AGM battery? i was thinking of just going with two lead acid batteries from wally world

Posted from Cockytalk.com App for Android

Last edited by bryarx; 07-22-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
willtaneyhill
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
willtaneyhill has hatched from the shell

What kind of power inverter do y'all recommend with the deep cycle battery setup? Also, what's the best brand battery? Marine or RV?
willtaneyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

From the looking around I've done, here's the setup I'm going with, and will be testing over the next couple weeks:

2 of the biggest deep cycle batteries from wally world, ever ready 94's I think? not looking at the right now, they are 77 and change. Since I will only be running a TV and receiver, I'm going with any inverter (borrowing one from my cousin). From what I read, this should give approx 6 hours of TV time, with a 40" or less LCD or LED tv (I'll be using a 32" LCD.)

I'll be running the two batteries in parallel (positive to positive, negative to negative)

As I test this setup prior to the first game, I'll let you know.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
Spurman15
4-Star

Male

Spurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his combSpurman15 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryarx View Post
From the looking around I've done, here's the setup I'm going with, and will be testing over the next couple weeks:

2 of the biggest deep cycle batteries from wally world, ever ready 94's I think? not looking at the right now, they are 77 and change. Since I will only be running a TV and receiver, I'm going with any inverter (borrowing one from my cousin). From what I read, this should give approx 6 hours of TV time, with a 40" or less LCD or LED tv (I'll be using a 32" LCD.)

I'll be running the two batteries in parallel (positive to positive, negative to negative)

As I test this setup prior to the first game, I'll let you know.
What satellite are you using?

"I am not a desert but a SANDSTORM builds within me"
Spurman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #12
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurman15 View Post
What satellite are you using?
I believe it's a direct TV account - my cousin is letting me borrow his box for game days, not positive, but I think it's direct. I'll probably get a digital tuner deal for the TV as well, so I can pick up local TV w/o the satellite.

Two of these batteries, there is a 94 sticker on it, that's what stuck out in my head

http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-...ttery/16795212

Last edited by bryarx; 08-16-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #13
rosstheboss
Diehard

Male

CockyCash: 461687660
rosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot material

I'm in the process of getting together marine batteries, satellite, tv, etc. for the tailgates upcoming too. My question is how do you know how long the tv and receiver will last on a single deep cycle battery? I am running a 26" or 32" lcd tv and directv satellite with receiver. I currently have 1 marine battery and am looking at getting another as I want to be able to watch games throughout the tailgate and some people will stay and watch our game on tv instead of going in. (estimating about 8 hours of tv time)I figured someone here will know all this battery stuff.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post
I'm in the process of getting together marine batteries, satellite, tv, etc. for the tailgates upcoming too. My question is how do you know how long the tv and receiver will last on a single deep cycle battery? I am running a 26" or 32" lcd tv and directv satellite with receiver. I currently have 1 marine battery and am looking at getting another as I want to be able to watch games throughout the tailgate and some people will stay and watch our game on tv instead of going in. (estimating about 8 hours of tv time)I figured someone here will know all this battery stuff.
You can find all the math on other sites. It does take a little time. Basically from looking around, I found that each of those batteries will do about 3 hours on a 40" + receiver set up. I'll be using a 32", so I might get a little longer lasting deal out of it. I'm going to take some cables also, so that if I needed to for a longer tail gate, run my car for a little bit and recharge the batteries. This will require a trickle charger you can plug into your cigarette lighter, or a couple other ways you could get your cars battery hooked up to a charger to recharge the marine batteries on the go.

This is what I've seen out of most people, some people just use 1 battery and do the temp charging thing throughout. I can afford (and have a use for) another battery, so I'm going with 2.

I need to find a cheaper place to buy the cables to hook them up in parallel though. Walmart's accessory prices are high.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

Just to provide an update. I ran two Ever Start batteries in parallel while tailgating for the UNC game.

They powered a 32" LCD TV, and my laptop, for 3 hours (The duration of the Outback Bowl I was watching). I was using a 750w/1500w inverter. The batteries recharged in less than an hour with a 6a charger. I'm not sure how long I could have run the set up, a long time is my guess. I'm going to set up the system outside this weekend and watch a lot of football to get a better idea of the longevity.

This setup ran about $240 in total, between 2 deep cycle marine batteries, 2x 2 gauge cables (to hook batteries in parallel), 750w/1500w(surge) inverter, deep cycle battery charger 2a/6a.