CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
U-Dub Gamecock
taylorssc
Outland
gadeneer1986
Latt7more
B-G
b381l
HeadCockFan
Grit_And_Steel
Lorenzo Nunez (1122)
Incoming Class (1015)
Rest of the season p (999)
Why is everyone anti (775)
Let us clarify some (740)
Tennessee kickoff an (713)
Bruce Ellington's Fi (713)
Just thought of some (700)
Is Clowney back toni (570)
How did we not make (492)
Holiday desserts
Roll call for Auburn
Garber vs Klinsmann round
Williams and Mitch
Miss St. defense
Thoughts on the basketbal
How do you want Auburn to
Why is everyone anticipat
Just thought of something
Peyton Manning breaks Bre

View Poll Results: Better 'Modern' Sitcom?
Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia 17 60.71%
Modern Family 11 39.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Mr. Wednesday
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Mr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudly
Default Better 'Modern' Sitcom

Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Or

Modern Family
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material
Default Re: Better 'Modern' Sitcom

The first 3 seasons of Sunny were gold but there was a drop off, however there were some wonderful highs during season 4-7. I feel that Modern Fmaily has been more consistent.

The question is - Do you value consistency or the blazing brillinace of old Sunny that burned out too soon?
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
The first 4 seasons of Sunny were gold but there was a drop off, however there were some wonderful highs during season 5-7. I feel that Modern Fmaily has been more consistent.

The question is - Do you value consistency or the blazing brillinace of old Sunny that burned out too soon?
Well sadly, I don't think show can be brilliant for too long, the writers just eventually run out of gold. It happens to all the shows.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowneygotcha View Post
Well sadly, I don't think show can be brilliant for too long, the writers just eventually run out of gold. It happens to all the shows.

Yeah, I edited my post to say the first 3 were gold but there really were some super high points scattered over the rest of the seasons. But there were also some duds.

Sunny really goes for it and a lot of times they miss but when they hit it is wonderful. Modern Family alsways seems to strie the same note but never really goes for something different.

I enjoy both shows.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
tkousc
4-Star

Male

tkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudly

I feel like this answer is gonna go right down the demographic lines. If your male and under 35 probably Sunny. If not Modern Family. Don't think females watch Sunny at all (at least any I know). Modern family is good but Sunny when its good it is really good.
tkousc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkousc View Post
I feel like this answer is gonna go right down the demographic lines. If your male and under 35 probably Sunny. If not Modern Family. Don't think females watch Sunny at all (at least any I know). Modern family is good but Sunny when its good it is really good.

I'm right there on that cut line. I'm 34.

I voted Suny b/c the highs are just so much better than Mondern, but that is also a product of Modern being broadcast network show while Sunny is on FX which will let the writers take more chances.

That said, Modern has never come close to the hilarity of "Charlies Goes America All Over Everyboby's Ass", "Mac Bangs Dennis' Mom", "The Gang Gets Invincible", or "The Gang Solves The N Korea Situation"
Old 07-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
Mr. Wednesday
Banned

Male

Mr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudly

Quote:
I'm right there on that cut line. I'm 34.

I voted Suny b/c the highs are just so much better than Mondern, but that is also a product of Modern being broadcast network show while Sunny is on FX which will let the writers take more chances.

That said, Modern has never come close to the hilarity of "Charlies Goes America All Over Everyboby's Ass", "Mac Bangs Dennis' Mom", "The Gang Gets Invincible", or "The Gang Solves The N Korea Situation"
Also gotta think- Sunny was unique. Modern Family took something which had already done, the mockumentary, and merely did it better than others (IMO).

When I was making this poll, I was trying to think of two 'modern' sitcoms that were on equal footing, but in hindsight- I should have pitted Sunny against Arrested Development.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
klempsux
So down with OPP

Male

CockyCash: 531
klempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
When I was making this poll, I was trying to think of two 'modern' sitcoms that were on equal footing, but in hindsight- I should have pitted Sunny against Arrested Development.
You wanna ask me to pick between my children next?
klempsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
Also gotta think- Sunny was unique. Modern Family took something which had already done, the mockumentary, and merely did it better than others (IMO).

Arrested wins for me. ( minus season 4 and the Charlize Theron storyline in season 3)
Old 07-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
Mr. Wednesday
Banned

Male

Quote:
Arrested wins for me. ( minus season 4 and the Charlize Theron storyline in season 3)
FOR BRITISH EYES ONLY!!!
Old 07-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

CockyCash: 0
GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

It's Always Sunny. The troll toll, Kitten Mittens, Rum ham, Frank tripping on acid, and more and more and more. I think the show has gotten BETTER as the season's have gone on. Probably my favorite American TV show.
GoCCUChants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:56 AM   #12
CarolinaBand
MiLB

Male

CockyCash: 1575
CarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot material

Modern Family is ok at best. Sunny is unique and has an amazingly specific POV where through the prism of the show can offer a different and mostly darker take on modern issues.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:41 AM   #13
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Voted for Modern Family.
I tried to watch a couple of episodes of Sunny in Philidelphia it's first
season and I really didn't like the show at all. ... That said, Modern Family
has lost a lot of it's appeal to me as well after the first season. The show
was funny and lot's of potential, but the second season was "dry". OK in
spots, but it lost a lot.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
Mr. Wednesday
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCCUChants View Post
It's Always Sunny. The troll toll, Kitten Mittens, Rum ham, Frank tripping on acid, and more and more and more. I think the show has gotten BETTER as the season's have gone on. Probably my favorite American TV show.
Don't forget Day Man, Charlie King of Rats, and Charlie goin 'Merica all up on their asses
Old 07-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
USCMM
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100200
USCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot material

I find myself humming Day man all the time at work.