CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
catdaddy66
GregoryHouse
JaxcockFL
doubledribble
SMOTFS86
Cockhornleghorn
B-G
Regalcock
JerseyBird
2014 Subway Classic: (2130)
Props to Eric Hyman. (1630)
Former Gamecock root (1464)
Franks boy's are pla (1343)
Garcia and Clemsux T (787)
Has the window close (687)
Bruce!!! (614)
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu (603)
Kentucky is dominati (575)
Question for those w (486)
Decommitment from Texas A
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
UFC Fight Night 58: Lyota
Has the window closed for
The Vent and Coaching cha
Bruce!!!
Franks boy's are playing
2015 - Eurndraus Bryant
Question for those who ha

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
CockyFanForLife
Recruit

Female

CockyCash: 500
CockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPit
Default My Friend/Garcia/Compassion

Deleted. Was a mistake to post here.

Last edited by CockyFanForLife; 07-24-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
taylorssc
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material
Default Re: My Friend/Garcia/Compassion

Sorry about your friend. Crane should have been given more time in my opinion.

Regarding Garcia, don't see the comparison. He brought a lot of it on himself.

You're friend did not bring this on and did not deserve what Mauldin had to say.

Last edited by taylorssc; 07-23-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
JohnnyR2211
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 756
JohnnyR2211 rules the CockPitJohnnyR2211 rules the CockPitJohnnyR2211 rules the CockPitJohnnyR2211 rules the CockPitJohnnyR2211 rules the CockPitJohnnyR2211 rules the CockPitJohnnyR2211 rules the CockPitJohnnyR2211 rules the CockPitJohnnyR2211 rules the CockPitJohnnyR2211 rules the CockPitJohnnyR2211 rules the CockPit

The only problem with this though is people want to force us to like Garcia despite what we might have seen with our own 2 eyes. I agree you don't kick someone while they're down but for the people that knew him personally, you can't ignore the events that lead to his downfall b/c he brought a lot of it on to himself and he had many, many times to correct his ways.

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend though, that's terrible!
Old 07-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
USCremedy
This your bush?

Male

CockyCash: 2300
USCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot material

After reading the first 2 paragraphs, I must say, I did not think that was the direction you were headed. You sound a little too emotionally involved.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post

Regarding Garcia, don't see the comparison. He brought a lot of it on himself. Including sh*tting his pants at a public party and having to be carried out of the bathroom by teamates. That's pretty extreme and open to ridicule and/or jokes.

You're friend did not bring this on and did not deserve what Mauldin had to say.
Yeah I am pretty sure he didn't want you to share that information lol
Old 07-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
CockyFanForLife
Recruit

Female

CockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPit

Quote:

Regarding Garcia, don't see the comparison. He brought a lot of it on himself. Including sh*tting his pants at a public party and having to be carried out of the bathroom by teamates. That's pretty extreme and open to ridicule and/or jokes.

You just couldn't resist the opportunity, could you?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
CockyFanForLife
Recruit

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCremedy View Post
After reading the first 2 paragraphs, I must say, I did not think that was the direction you were headed. You sound a little too emotionally involved.
Yes. I admit I am emotionally involved. Sorry if thta isn't acceptable.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
taylorssc
Banned

Male

taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyFanForLife View Post
You just couldn't resist the opportunity, could you?
No
Old 07-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
taylorssc
Banned

Male

Quote:

Regarding Garcia, don't see the comparison. He brought a lot of it on himself.

Now everybody's happy, including Stephen.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #10
TheUSCMike
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 4250
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

It is very sad what that POS did to your friend and her daughter and that's all the time he got. But, let's get real your comparison is extremely lame.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #11
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Sorry to hear about your friend and the terrible day it must've been for you and the family of the victims. I don't want to comment on the case or anything because I obviously have no connection to it, and would be wrong to get into any details of the case, so I just won't.

Backstory:
But to your point about Garcia, I cannot agree more. This thread may get locked soon enough because the thread you are referring to last night turned into a thread where people were bickering. Maybe I was a part of that, but I know 100% how you feel about Garcia.

I have always been pro-Garcia. Not starting or anything. I mean as a person, I've never viewed Stephen Garcia as a bad person. I viewed him as a college kid that made mistakes. He never said he "didn't" do anything he was accused of. He took the punishments and came back ready to play. Sure he was suspended 5 times and anyone can look and say "Why did he never learn?"

2 Month's after Garcia enrolled into this University he was arrested in 5 points. 3 Months after he enrolled into this University he was suspended for keying a professors car. These two offenses are just dumb. Things he knows he shouldn't have done and did anyway because he was a stubborn boy who thought he could get away with it.

1 Year later Garcia gets into trouble again. Ticketed for underage drinking and basically playing with a fire extinguisher. Suspended for the second time. Anyone can agree that this kind of suspension wouldn't last at this University. I understand that this kind of matter can be taken very seriously by some, but I would think that most had the general thought "Oh, he's in college he got caught drinking big whoop".

HERE is where things start to turn around.

Garcia starts to play. He doesn't play much in 2008, but in 2009 he is our offense. We weren't the best team in the world but we made a bowl game. It was a tough loss and everyone that talked to the media showed how tough of a loss it actually was. Garcia actually sounded humbled in his press conference after - even bringing himself to tears for not being able to win for the seniors and the guys that he felt "deserved" the victory. Garcia goes on to have his best year ever as a Gamecock in 2010. He hadn't been in trouble in a while, yet he had been acting pretty much the same throughout his time in Columbia, just staying out of trouble.

He was suspended the following spring after 2010 (the first week at least) for violating team rules. Basically he was suspended on the rumor that he was partying the day before the Chick-Fil-A bowl which we obviously lost. If you want to blame Garcia for the loss based on a "rumor" be my guest, but these rumors were never confirmed by the University. Doesn't mean I don't believe them because I certainly do, but I'm not blaming the loss on his preparedness.

This was Garcia's 4th suspension and his final suspension before actually being released came at an SEC function where (he is 21) drinks were served. Eric Hyman did not like how he represented himself or the University. He got a little "rowdy" at a Leadership Conference. Garcia stated that he was defending his team and thought he did nothing wrong. This is where all the Garcia fans came out to actually support Garcia, saying that Eric Hyman was out to get Garcia at this point. Eric Hyman didn't like Garcia and that he would do anything to get him out of this University or Football program. While I won't say I believe that conspiracy, it's certainly an interesting one.

Garcia had a terrible 2011 and was eventually dropped back to #2 in the depth chart. The week after he was dropped Garcia was given a drug test that the University said he failed. They never gave out the drug test (ClowneyGotcha and others may seem to believe he either didn't fail or never took one). But he failed it. He failed the drug test and was released. Garcia (already graduated) went home. He said he'd made a statement later that week and never did. His father owned up to Garcia's mistakes for him and told the media basically that Garcia needs to learn from his mistakes because it only gets harder from here.

My Point:
Garcia did do a lot of negative stuff of the field to bring his image down. But if there is one thing about Garcia that anyone should know, it's that he doesn't care about his image. I've heard numerous stories about Garcia off-the-field. Laying down behind the bar at Village, hammered, doing the "Shout" dance. Whipping his unit out at house parties and throwing it down on girls shoulders that weren't looking. Wearing a bullet proof vest downtown for no reason.

Garcia was the ultimate college "bro". Everyone that knew Garcia and was into that kind of humor loved him. He was friendly and funny and didn't care what people thought of him so no joke was "to far". As long as you didn't get offended by him you were okay, because you should know that he wasn't intending to offend anyone because he didn't mean anything he joked about.

However, Garcia's off the field image does not even begin to reflect his on field image. And when I say on field, I mean in the program in general. From practice, to film, to the weight room, to game day. Garcia was a gamer. He tried to get better in practice, he was one of the strongest QB's to play here, and he was dedicated to winning. He'd do anything to win. Risk his body to gain a first down. Duck his head to truck a defender to try and score. However when you say "Garcia" people want to think about him keying a car, or being arrested/ticketed for underage drinking and not the run he made against Kentucky to convert a 3rd and long when UK was running train on our defense in 2009. They don't want to recall Garcia throwing the perfect pass to Alshon Jeffery in 2010. They don't want to remember Garcia bowling his way into the endzone in The Swamp then getting up and trash talking a defender that hit him late. Nope, they want to remember the negative things.

While this may be because Garica brought that upon himself. He doesn't deserve the negativity that some people give him. He was a great teammate and ANYONE that played with him would tell you that. Everyone that played with Garcia loved him. So while you sit there in the stands and trash talk him or behind your key board and remind everyone how terrible of a person he was, YOU just remember that everyone that played with him liked him.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #12
cockybusiness2
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 461300
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

I liked Garcia... It is my opinion and I am entitled to it. I hate how it ended up for him. But I will always remember the that game against LSU. He was a gamer...He almost pulled that one out. Heck... he beat Bama... So dislike him all you want. He made mistakes... He is paying for them. I WILL NOT KICK A MAN WHILE HE IS DOWN. It has been done to me. I came back/ So be careful who you try and step on. You may see them again
Old 07-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #13
taylorssc
Banned

Male

Let's play a game called, "What do you remember about that player".

1. OJ Simpson
2. Lawrence Taylor
3. Michael Dyer
4. Maurece Clarett
5. John Daly
6. Darryl Strawberry
7. Ricky Williams
8. Doc Gooden
9. Len Bias
10. Nate Newton
11. Michael Irvin
12. Leonard Little
13. Ryan Braun
14. Barry Bonds
15. Mark McGuire
16. Stephen Garcia

I'd bet your first thought to each of these names had more to do with their actions off the field than their accolades on the field. It's just the way things are, quit giving people grief. They're entitled to the way they percieve what it means to be a successful athlete.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Quote:

1. OJ Simpson
2. Lawrence Taylor
3. Michael Dyer
4. Maurece Clarett
5. John Daly
6. Darryl Strawberry
7. Ricky Williams
8. Doc Gooden
9. Len Bias
10. Nate Newton
11. Michael Irvin
12. Leonard Little
13. Ryan Braun
14. Barry Bonds
15. Mark McGuire
16. Stephen Garcia

I'd bet your first thought to each of these names had more to do with their actions off the field than their accolades on the field. It's just the way things are, quit giving people grief. They're entitled to the way they percieve what it means to be a successful athlete.
So your comparing OJ Simpson to Stephen Garcia.........ok
Old 07-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #15
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:

1. OJ Simpson
2. Lawrence Taylor
3. Michael Dyer
4. Maurece Clarett
5. John Daly
6. Darryl Strawberry
7. Ricky Williams
8. Doc Gooden
9. Len Bias
10. Nate Newton
11. Michael Irvin
12. Leonard Little
13. Stephen Garcia

I'd bet your first thought to each of these names had more to do with their actions off the field than their accolades on the field.
I understand that. Off field actions (rememberable) are normally things that were done illegally or just so dumb that you get pissed off at someone.

Why can't you choose to remember someone for what they did on the field too? Why can't you do both?

I understand that Garcia did a lot of stupid things. I'm not arguing against that. But Garcia did a lot of good things. Do you seriously think Garcia keying a car effected his on field performance? How about getting drunk at an SEC Leadership event? How about getting ticketed/arrested twice during his redshirt season?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #16
taylorssc
Banned

Male

Ridiculous assumption. I'm showing that you think of athletes failures before their accomplishments, whatever they may be.

FYI, you've proven my point. I didn't tell you how to compare them. You chose how you would compare the two, and I'm sure it had nothing to do with -- well, this guy played RB in the NFL and this guy was a college QB.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #17
50ktight
4-Star

Male

50ktight is sharpening his claws50ktight is sharpening his claws50ktight is sharpening his claws50ktight is sharpening his claws50ktight is sharpening his claws

I am incredibly sad/ sorry to hear about the tragedy with your friend Jane.

However, there are absolutely no parallels between that incident and Stephen Garcia...
Old 07-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #18
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Ridiculous assumption. I'm showing that you think of athletes failures before their accomplishments, whatever they may be.

FYI, you've proven my point. I didn't compare him to anything, you did.
You put him on a list with someone who murdered their wife and probably her boy toy. When you put things on a list after listing why something is what, your attempting to put them in the same category. I don't remember OJ for anything except his trial. Last time I checked drinking too much isn't the same as murder.

These Garcia threads are always the same. No matter what the intent is to start them, they will always end up with bickering, accusations, defenses and prosecutions. Just let it go.

Mods should ban Garcia talk all together lol
Old 07-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #19
taylorssc
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
Why can't you choose to remember someone for what they did on the field too? Why can't you do both?

Probably a question better suited for this guy

Old 07-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #20
Tailfeathers
Starter

Tailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot material

Garcia is like a motor boat. The two best days were the day you got it and the day you got rid of it. Was he fun, sure, but he also caused a lot of head aches.