CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
COCKYTALKIN
WeStillOwnUSC
Gamecocks1137
MountainCock
El Cid Ranger
kingoftheroost
thekob
taylorssc
GarnetSwarm1990
Regalcock
Skai Moore out for U (1098)
Troubles in Tigertow (795)
TN game weather (789)
Lebron makes Clevela (693)
Who is your favorite (645)
Cockaboose Video (478)
Marvel releases movi (319)
Michigan AD Dave Bra (295)
FSU vs. Louisville (227)
NCAAF: TENNESSEE @ S (191)
Lattimore to play after S
Wallpaper & Backgroun
Tennessee Offense Breakdo
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Lebron makes Cleveland re
2015 Commitment - Arden K
2015 Commitment - Mark Fi
2016 - Kyran Bowman - Nor
Who is your favorite play
Uniforms for Tenn

Old 07-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
derek914
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
derek914 has feathers coming inderek914 has feathers coming inderek914 has feathers coming in
Default Visiting Columbia

Hey guys, I am new to your forum and love the site and all the great discussions. As a Gator it is awesome to see all of your perspectives as they relate to SEC football. I always love the games between UF and USC and honestly a bit jealous you guys have the OBC haha.

Anyway, my girlfriend, brother, a few friends and I are making the trip from Gainesville for the South Carolina game for the first time. We have never been to the campus and I am trying to scout some tips for lodging, tailgating and overall advice to getting the most out of the trip. We are also on the prowl for tickets if any one has some connections . Any suggestions for the best way to have a good time and get a feel for Columbia would be greatly appreciated!

I hope that your experiences with Gator fans in the past has been pleasant and we would love to tailgate with you guys!

Thanks a ton, November cant come soon enough!

Derek
derek914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
RockRocks787
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1510
RockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to RockRocks787
Default Re: Visiting Columbia

Welcome to the forum.

Say no to five points is usually rule #1 when it comes to Columbia.

RockRocks787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
NCgamecock1981
Entrenched Starter

Male

CockyCash: 80000
NCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his comb

Well, it will be November so I guess it isn't necessary to tell you to leave your jorts and tanktops at home...
NCgamecock1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 224247
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

Don't bark at any police dogs.

Kidding. Tailgating at Williams Brice (which is off campus) is pretty civil compared to some SEC venues.

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
U-Dub Gamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

The Vista is a good place to hang out Friday Night before the game.... Tailgating is pretty good, Just park in the general admission lots in the fairgrounds( get there early), and then walk around some of the other lots...
U-Dub Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:41 PM   #6
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

What the age range of the group? I just graduated from Carolina and have lived here pretty much my whole life, might help me make some recommendations!
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #7
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRocks787 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Say no to five points is usually rule #1 when it comes to Columbia.
Number one rule of this forum. Don't listen to half the people on this forum. (Unless you want to spend your trip hanging out in fast food restaurants and shitty chain stores.)

Columbia is pretty simple. Under 25 focus on 5 Points. Over 25 focus on the Vista.

Stay as close to the Vista or downtown as you can afford.

Park as close to the stadium as you can. I prefer the Shop road area to the Bluff rd area.

Try to get tickets in the Uf section.

Demin and nylon should not be worn simultaneously.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #8
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

Hey! Hope you enjoy your time while you're up here. There are plenty of hotels in and around the Columbia area, none of which are really walking distance to the stadium, so since you'll be driving, they;re all 5-10 minutes away (not counting game day traffic).

If you want to stay in the heart of downtown, I would suggest either the Hilton (on the corner of Park St. and Senate St.) or the Hampton Inn on Gervais. I know it's a Hampton Inn, but it's a nicer one, I promise). These hotels are in downtown in what is known as 'the Vista'.

The Vista has bunch of restaurants and night life all within walking distance. You would be less than 2 blocks away from the SC capital building, grounds worth walking by. You can always walk approx 5 or 6 blocks to 'the horse shoe'. This is where ESPN Game Day sets up when they are in Columbia.

As for actual restaurant recommendations, if in the Vista, a dinner at the Blue Marlin would be good, features locally ground grits for their signature shrimp and grits. There is plenty to choose from though: Wild Wings, Carolina Ale House, Ruth's Chris's Steakhouse, Wild Hare, Gervias and Wine, Liberty Tap Room, Monterrey's, Five Guys, World of Beer, Blue Marlin, Ristorante Divino, The Flying Saucer, Cola's, the list goes on. These places are all within 4 blocks of either of the hotels I listed. The hunter gatherer is about 7 blocks away, has great food and brew their own beer, a locals place.

Sights to see: The capital grounds, the horse shoe, the riverwalk, riverbanks zoo.

Other than the horse shoe, I'm not sure what else about USC you'd want to see, USC is comprised of lots of different buildings downtown. The baseball stadium is worth looking at, but it stays locked up, not much to see if it isn't a game.

Day of the game:
You'll want to arrive 3 1/2 hours before kick off if you want to have "not that much of a problem" getting close to the stadium. There will be random parking as you get close to the stadium, I believe it tops out around $30. I don't really know any place that will be better than another for day of the game parking - lots of places sell season parking (as I'm sure you're used to).

I don't know if there are tailgating 'laws', but drinking in parking lots near your car is fine, I'm sure you'll come across plenty of people in with tents, tv's, coolers, corn hole, etc. Other than that, nice neighbor tailgate rules apply. Expect some drunk Gamecock fans to yell stupid things, expect responsible Gamecock fans to be nice and friendly. To curtail more yells in your direction, don't wear jean shorts. I can't stress that enough, do not wear jean shorts.

I would stay away from '5 points' after 9. There are some decent places to go eat dinner there (Saluda's, Harper's, Public House, Cantina 76) but I wouldn't bar hop down there unless you are trying to go out with a fake ID or are want to run into the Columbia Blood or Crips. It's not really that bad, but seriously, it's not worth bar hopping there compared to the Vista, the only caveat being 'Henry's' but that's mainly because it's not really in walking distance of 5 points, it's its own destination bar, though it is small. If you do decide to go anywhere near 5 points Friday night, I would heavily advise against wearing UF gear, other than maybe a hat. Don't roll in like LSU fans wearing sequin'd blazers of your team colors. Wear normal stuff, it's ok to mention to people you're talking to that you're in town for the game, I just wouldn't throw it in people's faces.

Last edited by bryarx; 07-25-2013 at 12:12 AM.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #9
GTjacketcock
Hell of an Engineer

Male

GTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPit

Welcome to Cockytalk, and I know we're all looking forward to the Florida game this year after last year's debacle.

I've lived in Columbia all my life and I am now a student at USC, so here are some of my recommendations for your stay:

Restaurants:
Upscale: Blue Marlin on Gervais St., Garibaldi's on Greene St., California Dreaming on South Main St., Liberty Tap Room on Gervais St.

Southern Food: Lizard's Thicket on Elmwood Ave., Yesterday's on Devine St., Maurice's BBQ on Elmwood Ave. (need to try some South Carolina mustard-based barbeque), Palmetto Pig on Devine St. (buffet with southern dishes and, you guessed it, mustard-based barbeque)

Sports Bars: Wild Wing Cafe on Lady St., Carolina Ale House on Lady St., Wild Hare Sports Cafe on Gervais St. (great lunch specials),

Miscellaneous: Pawley's Front Porch on Harden St. (awesome burgers, featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives), DiPrato's (gotta get the pimento cheese), Flying Saucer on Park St. (a hundred different beers on tap), Bernie's on Bluff Rd. (near the stadium, BEST fried chicken I've ever had)

You should definitely stop by the USC campus. Park on Sumter St. or College St. and walk through the Horseshoe. The main part of campus is bounded by Blossom St., Sumter St., Pendleton St., and Barnwell St. Walk around and enjoy the scenery.

Sadly, since I've lived in Columbia all my life, I can't really recommend any of the hotels. I know that there are several on Huger St. that would be really convenient to get to the stadium. As far as tailgating, be sure to hit up the Farmer's Market (lots of pregame activities and nice public restrooms) and the Fairgrounds (for more of the traditional tailgating).

Hope this helps, and I hope you have a good time in Columbia (up until gametime).

My sign from Gameday at the Horseshoe
GTjacketcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:32 AM   #10
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

I made the trip to Gainesville for the first time this past season. It was fun, minus the whole game part, haha. You're much more planned than I was, we didn't decide to road trip it until the week before.

If you're looking for nightlife, someone put it pretty clearly up there. For a more post-grad, older (but still fun) crowd, stick to the Vista.

-I recommend Tin Roof first and foremost. They have them in a couple other SEC towns and it's always a good time. Live music on most nights and fun atmosphere.
-The Woody has good dancing and strong drinks
-Flying Saucer is a good beer emporium if you're into that kind of thing. Same with World of Beer.
-Sports bar wise I'd do Wild Hare, Carolina Ale House or Wild Wing.

If you're looking for a rowdier crowd, do Five Points. Don't let people scare you off from it. It's not as bad as they make it sound, haha.

-Salty Nut has decent food and a nice deck
-Jakes has good draft options and a huge, expansive deck. Live music occasionally.
-If you want an ultimate college feel, try Pinch, Village Idiot or Bird Dog

Food got covered pretty heavily up there. Gotta try Pawleys Front Porch in Five Points, and I'd also thrown in Cantina 76 on Devine St. Upscale Mexican with the best tacos you've ever had and killer margaritas.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:51 AM   #11
derek914
Walk On

Male

derek914 has feathers coming inderek914 has feathers coming inderek914 has feathers coming in

Thank you all for the time to give all the great suggestions. I certainly will avoid the jorts. We are all under twenty five but we are definitely not the heavy party type. We love tailgating and the SEC atmosphere and have a goal of seeing every venue in our conference.

I have my name on the waiting list for the Inn at Clausen's. It seems that most everything near campus and downtown is all booked for the time being. I imagine lots of blocks are reserved and individual rooms may become available nearer to the game.

Thanks again everyone!

Derek
derek914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:01 AM   #12
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

Well, you'll be near 5 points. Stay safe! Or cab to the Vista to party and cab home, it would be less than $10 I'd imagine (each way).
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:37 AM   #13
TroubleCock
Blue Chip

Male

TroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his comb

Just stay In Five Points if your going to hang there. Avoid all outskirts.
TroubleCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

DAMN fine recommendations that you guys have posted. I'm impressed with the way "we" provided this Gator with a welcome.

The darn Chamber of Commerce or USC Ticket office could not have done as good a job with recommendations I've read here. I live in Banner Elk, NC and head down for every game...and we love staying at Embassy Suites by the zoo and also at the Inn at USC. Both have great breakfasts.

If things are going GREAT for both teams by that time of the season we COULD be another Gameday deal. The Horseshoe would be an awesome place to be...again.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
burr
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
burr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spurs

and dont forget to ride by our ballpark down on the river. Its worth a stop.
burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #16
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek914 View Post
Thank you all for the time to give all the great suggestions. I certainly will avoid the jorts. We are all under twenty five but we are definitely not the heavy party type. We love tailgating and the SEC atmosphere and have a goal of seeing every venue in our conference.

I have my name on the waiting list for the Inn at Clausen's. It seems that most everything near campus and downtown is all booked for the time being. I imagine lots of blocks are reserved and individual rooms may become available nearer to the game.

Thanks again everyone!

Derek
Good location, right in Five Points and directly on the edge of campus. Head to the right down Greene St and you'll go through the heart of campus. Take a left on Assembly and you'll run straight into the stadium. Read over the Five Points recommendations (Salty Nut is good, and you'll be right across the street from it) or take a cab to the Vista for like 10 bucks. You're also right beside Mr. Friendly's Southern Cafe, which is deliciousssss.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #17
RockRocks787
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1510
RockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to RockRocks787

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
Number one rule of this forum. Don't listen to half the people on this forum. (Unless you want to spend your trip hanging out in fast food restaurants and shitty chain stores.)

Columbia is pretty simple. Under 25 focus on 5 Points. Over 25 focus on the Vista.

Stay as close to the Vista or downtown as you can afford.

Park as close to the stadium as you can. I prefer the Shop road area to the Bluff rd area.

Try to get tickets in the Uf section.

Demin and nylon should not be worn simultaneously.
Calm down. It was a joke.

RockRocks787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #18
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek914 View Post

Thanks again everyone!

Derek
Are you a member with Hilton or Marriott, if you have status with them they can normally find you a room. Also, did you try the Inn at USC.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #19
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterBooster View Post
Are you a member with Hilton or Marriott, if you have status with them they can normally find you a room. Also, did you try the Inn at USC.
Isn't there also a comfort suites on Huger?
Old 07-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #20
G&B
purple nurple

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgamecock1981 View Post
Well, it will be November so I guess it isn't necessary to tell you to leave your jorts and tanktops at home...

There is always this, jort underwear!
Attached Images