CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
eightohhthree
highstick
FeloniousCock
gamecock88
Spur's Addiction
TheUSCMike
Goofyboy
ClintonGamecock
HeadCockFan
qcgamecock
Dylan Thompson's pas (3713)
Celebrity Guest Pick (3315)
Clem5on fans are bes (2647)
Rank the SEC startin (1296)
7:30 kickoff for Ken (1107)
Mizzou Depth Chart v (1089)
Kendrick salley (1008)
Defensive personnel (1004)
USC -6 vs. Mizzou (658)
Cack's Toast of the (636)
Defensive personnel quest
I guess we don't get all
Dylan Thompson's passing
Gameday Sign Ideas
Celebrity Guest Picker...
Jersey question
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Kendrick salley
Legitimate, Unbiased Opin
7:30 kickoff for Kentucky

Old 07-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material
Default Rokevious Watkins

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/footb...86e6c5112.html

Quote:
Rams cut overweight Watkins

Print

15 hours ago • By Jim Thomas jthomas@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8197
Loading…

Coach Jeff Fisher treats his players like grownups. Then they’d better act accordingly. 
The latest example is offensive guard Rokevious Watkins.
A year ago at this time, Watkins reported to his rookie training camp overweight and out of shape. He was held out of practice for about a week to work on his conditioning.
This year, Watkins again reported overweight and out of shape. This time, he got cut.
The fifth-round pick from South Carolina was released Wednesday on the eve of the first full-squad practice of training camp.
The Rams’ official roster has long listed Watkins at 338 pounds, which was approximately the team’s target weight for him entering camp this year. But Watkins reported well over that weight. According to one league source familiar with the situation, Watkins reported even heavier than he did a year ago.
A year ago, Fisher was so chagrined with Watkins’ weight and conditioning level, he told a reporter at the start of camp: “He had a little trouble pushing himself away from the dinner table — and I don’t mind if you print that.”
He was referring to the 5˝-week break between the end of spring practice in mid-June and the start of training camp in late July. Mom’s home cooking apparently agreed too much with Watkins during the break.
At the end of OTAs this spring, Watkins was leaner and in pretty good shape. He seemed serious about making it work as an NFL player, to the point where he said he wasn’t going home during the break.
“I’ll be here all summer working with Rock (strength coach Rock Gullickson),” Watkins said at the time. “Twice a day. I’m not going nowhere. I’ll be right here at 1 Rams Way.”
But that didn’t happen. Watkins went home, his weight ballooned, and a player once regarded as a potential starter is now looking for a job.
“He’s the kind of guy that has unbelievable strength and power,” offensive line coach Paul Boudreau said at the end of the 2012 season. “He just needs to learn how to play fast and play hard for four quarters.”
And stay in shape.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Rokevious Watkins

C'mon Rok! This is a chance of a lifetime...
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Sucks, he was our best OL we had in long time. I hope he gets that drive back, it sounds like he needs help. Needs to get away from his family for a while.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

sad hope he gets it off and on another team.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Rok was the last line of that recruiting group before Lattimore. I guess he just didn't pay attention.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
Jmansour333
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Jmansour333 has feathers coming inJmansour333 has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryarx View Post
Fisher has no class. Not only does he demean his player with unnecessary criticism; he tells people he's ok with people printing that. Severe lack of professionalism.
Jmansour333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
acrh10
4-Star

Male

acrh10 has earned his spursacrh10 has earned his spursacrh10 has earned his spursacrh10 has earned his spursacrh10 has earned his spursacrh10 has earned his spursacrh10 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmansour333 View Post
Fisher has no class. Not only does he demean his player with unnecessary criticism; he tells people he's ok with people printing that. Severe lack of professionalism.
A bit sensitive
acrh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Jmansour333
Walk On

Male

Jmansour333 has feathers coming inJmansour333 has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrh10 View Post
A bit sensitive
In a position of authority, you should not bash your staff, employees, players etc. it displays a weakness in character. Sensitive, yes I am, let's say passionate about the future or careers of former Gamecocks.
Jmansour333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
yFSC
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 480
yFSC is crowing loudlyyFSC is crowing loudlyyFSC is crowing loudlyyFSC is crowing loudlyyFSC is crowing loudlyyFSC is crowing loudlyyFSC is crowing loudlyyFSC is crowing loudlyyFSC is crowing loudlyyFSC is crowing loudlyyFSC is crowing loudly

Quote:
No class? He gave him a second chance after he got popped on a suspension and came into his first camp ever overweight.
yFSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
TStone
Grammar Nazi

Male

Pumpkin Contest: Winner of the Pumpkin Carving Contest - Given for: Pumpkin Contest 
CockyCash: 4535
TStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot material

Quote:
I don't know the specifics of the situation with Fisher, but his comment doesn't stand out as obviously over the top or unnecessary given the history with Rok that was reported. I'm not saying that some coaches/leaders aren't straight up asses. There are certainly those types. It just isn't obvious to me that Fisher fits in that category.

Sometimes - preferably as a last resort - you resort to what I call "shock treatment" to get ti through somebody's thick skull that they need to shape up. We saw Spurrier do that when he publicly criticized Garcia multiple times. Garcia was slacking off, not doing what was expected of him, getting into trouble. I feel certain things were said to Garcia (and Rok) behind closed doors before it went public. If anything I think it is a sign of someone who is trying to do the right thing when they resort to the shock treatment approach - it is a sign that they really want things to work out, but they have no more options before cutting/firing the person.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
Gamecockman12
Blue Chip

Male

Gamecockman12 has feathers coming inGamecockman12 has feathers coming inGamecockman12 has feathers coming in

Quote:
Sorry but I'm 100% with Fisher on this one. He gave Rok another chance and Rok is a grown man, he should be able to handle the criticism. It's to be expected when you pursue a career in the NFL.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
scfanohio
Blue Chip

Male

scfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talons

Love Rok but got to go with Fisher on this one. It's not like he's rehabbing an injury or some other set back, he just has to come in to camp in shape. Fisher sent a message and Rok didn't listen.

Hopefully he'll come to grips with this, lose the weight, and get back in the league. The story says he's a potential starter so he's got NFL talent, we know he's a beast in the weight room, he's just got acquire an NFL diet.
scfanohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #13
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Maybe Fisher uses a Clempson style weight program.

Rok thrived in the Fitzgerald style program. I think this says volumes about the Gamecock S&C program. It motivates players across the board because it incentivizes workouts in a way that is attractive to all players, even players maybe less inclined to like the grinding it out, fisher-type of workout.

Perhaps Fisher is partially to blame for Rok's failure.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post

Rok thrived in the Fitzgerald style program. I think this says volumes about the Gamecock S&C program. It motivates players across the board because it incentivizes workouts in a way that is attractive to all players, even players maybe less inclined to like the grinding it out, fisher-type of workout.

I don't know about that. If Fischer's system is working for most of his other players why should he change it just for one guy? You talk about incentives, so how about this for an incentive: Do your workouts and stay in shape and you get to collect your hundreds of thousands of dollars you were promised to be paid or don't and get cut? Most players seem to understand that quid pro quo arrangement. All he is being expected to do is his job. Is Fischer being professional in calling his ex-player out like that publicly? Probably to a small degree, but I understand why he did it. It sends a clear message to the rest of his players that might also be slacking in their responsibilities. He is not in college anymore. No one is going to hold his hand. He is going to have to adapt to doing things way the pros do it.

Last edited by ReadR00ster; 07-26-2013 at 01:10 PM.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #15
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

I'm with Fisher on this one. Tell the truth. The worst thing you can do is to make an excuse. He told the truth. If Rok is way overweight, its his fault. No one else.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #16
davisd9
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 375
davisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudly

Quote:

Rok thrived in the Fitzgerald style program. I think this says volumes about the Gamecock S&C program. It motivates players across the board because it incentivizes workouts in a way that is attractive to all players, even players may be less inclined to like the grinding it out, fisher-type of workout.

I usually skip commenting on this type of post but I cannot this time. COME ON MAN! He is a grown man and he has to take accountability for his own actions. It has nothing to do with S&C, clemson's players are not overweight, but has everything to do with hard work and ethics.

So many other player would give anything for this type of opportunity and he is just throwing it away. I really liked watching Rok play but this is his OWN fault and no one else.

With the amount of money these guys make, even the lower paid guys, there is no excuse for this.

I think Fisher had every right to call him out. Just as if I was goofing off at work or coming in unprepared for my job my boss would have the right to get on me.
davisd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #17
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:

I have now seen it all.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #18
35-21
The Thickened Chicken

Male

35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly

Quote:
In a position of authority, you should not bash your staff, employees, players etc. it displays a weakness in character. Sensitive, yes I am, let's say passionate about the future or careers of former Gamecocks.
If you were truly passionate about the future and career of Rok, then you would realize that he needs a fire lit under his ass before he eats himself out of a career and into an early grave, and therefore appreciate that Fisher's criticism may be just what Rok needs to get his lifestyle straight.
35-21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #19
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
I usually skip commenting on this type of post but I cannot this time. COME ON MAN! He is a grown man and he has to take accountability for his own actions. It has nothing to do with S&C, clemson's players are not overweight, but has everything to do with hard work and ethics.

So many other player would give anything for this type of opportunity and he is just throwing it away. I really liked watching Rok play but this is his OWN fault and no one else.

With the amount of money these guys make, even the lower paid guys, there is no excuse for this.

I think Fisher had every right to call him out. Just as if I was goofing off at work or coming in unprepared for my job my boss would have the right to get on me.
Where did I say Rok is not accountable?

All I said is that maybe Fisher's system might be partly contributing to Rok's failure to keep the weight off.

Clemson players are in good shape. They are not in as good a shape as the Gamecock players. Their recruiting ratings exceed ours, but we beat them consistently. Their s&c system is not as good as our system because our players get into better shape.

All I'm saying is that maybe this sad story suggests our staff did something that Fisher's did not to motivate Rok with regard to his workouts. He sure did seem to be in great shape while he was at USC?

If I were Fisher, instead of criticizing the player, maybe I would look inward and consider if I can improve my system so I don't blow millions on a player I failed to develop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
I have now seen it all.
You are not old enough to say this.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #20
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Quote:

I see, a guy has a career in his lap that could set him financially for his lifetime and a career that a lot would love to have. I'm sure Rok was told numerous times to keep his weight down. He failed to do so. It's time we stop treating these athletes like they're above everything. He had 1 job to do between spring and summer practice, and that was don't show up like a cow. He didn't do that job. If my boss tell sme time and time again to not do something, and I do it ... I lose my job.

Gamecock or not, there is no excuse in showing up to camp fat and out of shape.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote