CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
3MTA3
JerseyBird
GarnetSwarm1990
rosstheboss
spareparts
Spurticus
MWard
ertman420
usc90grad
Cunningham wants to (1207)
ESPN article on Clow (863)
Clemson Georgia Game (702)
New Led Zep releases (158)
Dodge NY Auto Show N (157)
Truly Inspiring (156)
2014 garnet and blac (100)
Chick Redefines the (80)
The Bama series (39)
2 tickets for USC vs (12)
Spread vs. aTm
The Bama series
Acock reviews the SEC Net
Tennessee hires Donnie Ty
SEC Network "Take It
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
Clemson Georgia Game to b
ESPN article on Clowney -
2015 - Davon Durant
2016 - Issac Nauta

Old 07-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
bryarx
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material
Default Nick Jones

At Spurrier's presser after the golf even yesterday, he was running down position players - when he went over the WR's, he didn't mention Nick Jones.

I thought Nick came on pretty well at the end of last season, probably as a product of DT getting more playing time and checking down through his progression. I have been talking with friends saying that I expected Nick Jones to play a bigger role as a receiver this year, not especially fast, but his route running has been great. I suspected he and DT had been taking a lot of 2nd team reps together last year, so when DT got on the field, they had a chemistry that was letting NJ get some meaningful touches and thrown to's.

Now he wasn't even mentioned among the receiving core. Anyone know what's up with this? I'm gonna check and make sure he wasn't a senior so I don't look like a giant tool.

He's a RS Junior, and look at Clemson/Michigan production:

set a <personal> season high with four receptions for 45 yards against in-state rival Clemson in the regular-season finale... caught three passes for a career-best 78 yards in the Outback Bowl win over Michigan, including a career-long 70-yard reception.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Nick Jones

He's a RS JR. I'm sure there's nothing to it. There's several names at WR this year, and I'm sure Spurrier just forgot to mention him.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

He is a Junior this season and he has had a really good offseason. Reports are that he has really worked on improving his agility and quickness. He should have a good season as long as he gets the targets at the B receiver, which has been a problem for as long as Spurrier has been here.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Nick was a kid that was reported to be one of the best looking players
during winter drills his true freshman season, but only saw limited reps
during his Redshirt Freshman season.... It looked like he was going to be
one of those guys who ended up as Good Practice field players, but not
gamers. ........ Nick's ability was brought to light when Connor took over
the offense half way through the 2011 season. If you recall, he and
Nick hooked up for a couple of long receptions and a TD during the
UK game (Connor's first game as a starter after Garcia was benched),
and they also hooked up for three or four nice receptions a couple of
weeks later (with another TD) against The Citadel. .... Since then,
Nick has made a very steady and very good improvment every game the
following year + since then.... He came on strong at the end of last
year and IMO, he will have a breakout season this year as Ace Sanders'
replacement. Nick showed signs of not only being that guy who could
make the clutch 5-7 yard slant catch, or the guy who could go get it
on a "GO" route down the sidelines, but as he did a couple of times
against Clemson and Michigan, he is not affraid to go over the middle on
the square ins, or Post routes either. ..... Look for Nick to get a lot of
PT this season, and make the best of it.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
bryarx
Starter

Male

bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
Nick was a kid that was reported to be one of the best looking players
during winter drills his true freshman season, but only saw limited reps
during his Redshirt Freshman season.... It looked like he was going to be
one of those guys who ended up as Good Practice field players, but not
gamers. ........ Nick's ability was brought to light when Connor took over
the offense half way through the 2011 season. If you recall, he and
Nick hooked up for a couple of long receptions and a TD during the
UK game (Connor's first game as a starter after Garcia was benched),
and they also hooked up for three or four nice receptions a couple of
weeks later (with another TD) against The Citadel. .... Since then,
Nick has made a very steady and very good improvment every game the
following year + since then.... He came on strong at the end of last
year and IMO, he will have a breakout season this year as Ace Sanders'
replacement. Nick showed signs of not only being that guy who could
make the clutch 5-7 yard slant catch, or the guy who could go get it
on a "GO" route down the sidelines, but as he did a couple of times
against Clemson and Michigan, he is not affraid to go over the middle on
the square ins, or Post routes either. ..... Look for Nick to get a lot of
PT this season, and make the best of it.
This is what I'm hoping for him this year. Just found it out that Spurrier named about 5 receivers and he wasn't one of them.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114893542
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Dude can ball. Fear is not in his vocabulary. Not worried about him this year. He will make some plays for us and he will make more if some of our names with potential do not live up to expectations.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
RebelGamecockfan09
Runnin round

Male

CockyCash: 1225
RebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his comb

Played baseball with him, and football. He's a nice guy and he's smart and dedicated. I don't think he will have the dynamics Ace showed because he never really showed that at Byrnes but he's really tough and I think he can be a solid inside receiver. Glad he's getting attention because I felt like some people felt he only got an offer as a "package deal" with Marcus but he has proven that he is more than capable.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryarx View Post
This is what I'm hoping for him this year. Just found it out that Spurrier named about 5 receivers and he wasn't one of them.
Bryarx, give SOS a break. He's older than I am and has 80+ guys to keep up with. LOL.

Just an unintentional oversight. Think Spurt is right.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
bryarx
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPat View Post
Bryarx, give SOS a break. He's older than I am and has 80+ guys to keep up with. LOL.

Just an unintentional oversight. Think Spurt is right.
Yea, I figured it was oversight, but I'm not behind the scenes with the spring practices, summer trainings and all that. I wanted to make sure he would still be in the WR rotation and hadn't fallen behind for some reason. I hadn't really heard anything about his off season until this thread.

For what it's worth, I hope Byrd softens up those hands with his tennis ball drills and reels in some of those deep balls like he should be. I hope Roland's lights really have turned on. I hope Shamier is taking everything seriously and finds the drive to be Shamier, not Alshon's brother. I just personally had some hopes for NJ this year and wanted to make sure he'd be back out there. I think he's going to 'break out' this year.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
Raddad
Walk On

Male

Raddad has hatched from the shell

107.5 had an interview with Jr. soon after that, and Jones was mentioned as someone who came on strong last year, and that they had high hopes for him this year. I believe he mentioned his performance in both the Clemson and bowl game.
Raddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddad View Post
107.5 had an interview with Jr. soon after that, and Jones was mentioned as someone who came on strong last year, and that they had high hopes for him this year. I believe he mentioned his performance in both the Clemson and bowl game.
It should also be noted that Jr. is the receivers coach.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #12
Jethro Beaver
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Jethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudlyJethro Beaver is crowing loudly

I just wish he would score a TD, turn around, take out a wireless mic and say to the defender "I'm Nick Jones, Bitch" Ya yuh! LOL
Jethro Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #13
lakemurraycock
Blue Chip

CockyCash: 357
lakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudly

SOS is just keeping him a secret. ;)
lakemurraycock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
sully1
4-Star

Male

sully1 is sharpening his clawssully1 is sharpening his clawssully1 is sharpening his clawssully1 is sharpening his clawssully1 is sharpening his claws

Yeah, I heard the interview with SOS Jr. prior to SOS's "press conference" and SOS Jr. was very complimentary of Nick Jones. Said they were a much better team last year offensively when he was on the field. Problem was they just kept waiting on DL Moore to breakout because he had all the physical attributes and did well in practice...

Basically, I think SOS Jr was saying that in hindsight, Jones should have been out there more and Moore less.
sully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #15
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryarx View Post
Yea, I figured it was oversight, but I'm not behind the scenes with the spring practices, summer trainings and all that. I wanted to make sure he would still be in the WR rotation and hadn't fallen behind for some reason. I hadn't really heard anything about his off season until this thread.

For what it's worth, I hope Byrd softens up those hands with his tennis ball drills and reels in some of those deep balls like he should be. I hope Roland's lights really have turned on. I hope Shamier is taking everything seriously and finds the drive to be Shamier, not Alshon's brother. I just personally had some hopes for NJ this year and wanted to make sure he'd be back out there. I think he's going to 'break out' this year.
FWIW, several decades ago I taught my Little League outfielders how to catch fly balls by hitting them a jillion tennis balls with a racquet. Took away the fear of getting hurt, and if you can learn to catch a bloody tennis ball, you can catch anything.

I also heard D Byrd had lasik eye surgery during the off-season. Should also help.

I actually think the entire Receiving corps is primed to have a breakout year. In addition to all their talent, look at all the other ++'s they've got going for 'em: Two healthy experienced QB's, improved more-experienced O-line, good stable of RB's to balance the O between pass and run, and superb TE's.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

I get the feeling Nick is one of those quiet guys that just goes about his business and is solid in his role.

And I think the focus on the golf outing was mostly on Shamier and Shaq. We need one of those two to step up this year with Ellington, Byrd and Jones for a solid, bigger option.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #17
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
I get the feeling Nick is one of those quiet guys that just goes about his business and is solid in his role.

And I think the focus on the golf outing was mostly on Shamier and Shaq. We need one of those two to step up this year with Ellington, Byrd and Jones for a solid, bigger option.

EVERY game that Nick Jones got more than a play or two in...he made plays and did great. The only thing he lacked was playing time. Given the chance Nick will be one of the top two guys this season at the receiver position.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #18
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Nick Jones is a positive person from others' accounts, and the players all seem to like and respect him. Usually that means he'll be fine with this team.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #19
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

I'm excited to see what he can do this year after the way he came on last year. I definitely think he has the potential to catch a few TD's this year.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #20
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Jones is listed as a starter on the post-spring depth chart. He's not a flashy guy, but will get his catches.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote