CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
ZenUSC
Coulwoodwarlord
WeStillOwnUSC
Yearofthegamecock
TAFC 5 1981
gamecock88
SCohioBoy
SpurProsecutor
Kentucky prediction (2166)
Just Booked my Hotel (1441)
Best position coach (901)
Waldrop doubtful for (883)
The New Idea That'll (758)
We Have A New KO Guy (710)
Serial Cat Killer Ca (494)
I'm over the loss, b (320)
Optimism? Week 1-4 o (299)
So What? (291)
Waldrop doubtful for Kent
400 pasing yards
If we loose to Kensucky..
I'm over the loss, but...
The New Idea That'll Fix
4th & 1 Play
We Have A New KO Guy
***2014 Carolina Panthers
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
QB Recruiting Strategy

Old 07-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
RebelGamecockfan09
Runnin round

Male

CockyCash: 1225
RebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his comb
Default Dabo's opinion on the paying players debate

http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...o-pay-for-play

There is a hotly debated topic over on reddit right now about the topic on whether or not CFb players should be payed. There are some really good points being brought up on both sides, and some pretty intense discussion going on. My personal opinion is that if you remove all restrictions on paying college athletes, small colleges might as well forget competing. In fact, I can't remember where it is, but there's a top 25 list somewhere on the internet that shows the top 25 most valuable college football programs. Without limits those 25 will be about the only teams that can functionally compete. I understand that there's already some unequal terms in CFb considering how much more money teams like Ohio State or Texas can pump into their program than say South Florida. However, I think adding money into the recruiting process will only make things work.

I still think college players deserve to receive some spending money, which is more than enough to considering all the other benefits they receive. I will say it kinda irks me that a Coach making 2 million plus a year is saying that players deserve nothing. Bias aside, I think Coach Spurrier makes the best argument on a solution to this issue. I think this could really exacerbate into a serious issue that could really change college sports. I think if you look at the NFl, you can see why there are such serious restrictions on how much a team can pay a player because there would be serious issues.

I'm just really curious what people here think about this issue? There really is pro's and con's on both side of the debate.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
etowngangsta
Challenge accepted.

Male

CockyCash: 26065800
etowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dabo's opinion on the paying players debate

I don't think they should do it but I can see both sides being right. If they do, they should cap it. Coach Spurrier had a good idea about it being $300 per game and going straight to the players guardian. It would help out a lot of families with travel expenses to go see their kid play.
etowngangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
RebelGamecockfan09
Runnin round

Male

RebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
I thought Clemson already paid players
I know you're kidding, but it's funny you said that because I know there are several people saying that cheating is so prevalent these days that they might as well make it open. I guess another side of the coin so to speak. I still don't think it makes it right though.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

It's not pay for play, it's an expenditure stipend

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

I hate to say this, but Dabo has hit it on the head. I don't think players should be paid. I understand schools are making MILLIONS off of these kids, but you can't pay one if you're not going to pay them all. I think Dabo is dead on it when he says they need to adjust the scholorships. It will basically do the same thing as "paying" the players. It will give them more money in their pocket for rent, food, clothes etc, but keep them amateurs as they should be.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
bertoholic
THAT Damn Good

Male

CockyCash: 14152650
bertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot material

I don't actually see a problem with his stance here, but there has to be a set limit that cannot fluctuate.

If you don't know now you know....
bertoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Holy crap I agree with Dabo on something. Hell has frozen over.

He doesn't make as good of a point as this guy in this article does, however.
http://www.gogamecocks.com/2013/07/2...ec-should.html
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
RebelGamecockfan09
Runnin round

Male

How do people feel about endorsements and such though? I find it kinda messed up that players can be featured in commercials and such and not receive any compensation for it. At the same time, that would be so impossible to regulate. I know some people on reddit mentioned they should create a viable minor league for the NFl so that players who have no interest in school can just play for that. I don't think the NFl would even care to do that.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
I hate to say this, but Dabo has hit it on the head. I don't think players should be paid. I understand schools are making MILLIONS off of these kids, but you can't pay one if you're not going to pay them all. I think Dabo is dead on it when he says they need to adjust the scholorships. It will basically do the same thing as "paying" the players. It will give them more money in their pocket for rent, food, clothes etc, but keep them amateurs as they should be.
So basically, you are giving them more money, just doing it as a scholarship so you can say you aren't paying them more.

Got it...
Old 07-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
Mr. Wednesday
Banned

Male

Mr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudly

Quote:
What is the difference between an increase to the expenditure stipend they already receive (what Spurrier wants), and an adjustment to the scholarship amount (what Dabo said)?
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
It's not pay for play, it's an expenditure stipend
Ahh, a Poly Sci major. LOL.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #12
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

I actually thought the video game was a perfect vehicle to solve this problem that sadly, was misused. First of all, if you are a revenue generating sport with enough interest to have people buying video games, you can justify giving the people represented in those games money and not the men's water polo team. If Men's Water Polo wants extra money, they need to make their sport popular enough to have a video game or other entertainment rights associated with it.

At that point, they should have taken the money and divided it equally between scholarship athletes in that sport. Let's take a look at some numbers:

Quote:
Todd Mitchell, senior analyst with New York-based Brean Capital LLC, said losing the NCAA brand isn't likely to hurt EA Sports. He estimated NCAA Football accounts for only about 5 percent of EA Sports' revenue, or about $125 million.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...#ixzz2aRyumhsu
So that is 125 million generated by the game. Let's say all 120 FBS programs have all 85 scholarships filled, that's a total of 10,200 football players. That means each player, per year, would receive $12,254.90. Stay in 4 years and that's roughly 50k on top of your paid scholarship. And here is the nice part, it's all football athletes! Alabama's players don't get more than Western Kentucky's. Basketball would be a different set of numbers honestly, but same premise.

If you want to be a real purist about it put it in escrow until you leave school, and you can't have been kicked out to get your share. Other expenses can be made by upping scholarships or something along that line. And no...the men's water polo team, nor the women's golf team, nor the men's wrestling team, etc. get any of that money b/c they don't have a revenue generating source like the video game. And you would have no lawsuit b/c the NCAA isn't profiting off the game at all, the athletes are.

I honestly don't see why this is so hard.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #13
Mr. Wednesday
Banned

Male

Mr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPat View Post
'pay for play' implies that players would be paid differing amounts based on how much 'the market' determines they are worth to a team.

a spending expenditure would be the same amount to all players.

there is a distinct difference.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #14
appcenter52
Recruit

Male

appcenter52 is sharpening his clawsappcenter52 is sharpening his clawsappcenter52 is sharpening his clawsappcenter52 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Aren't you contradicting yourself when you say you agree with Dumbo but he's basically saying the same thing as paying players? What's really going on here guys is Dabo totally agrees with Spurrier but he can't dare be seen on the same side, so he basically changes the wording that has the same end result without coming out and saying to Clempson nation that he agrees with Spurrier.
appcenter52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
RebelGamecockfan09
Runnin round

Male

I really don't want this thread to turn into smack.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #16
Mr. Wednesday
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by appcenter52 View Post
Aren't you contradicting yourself when you say you agree with Dumbo but he's basically saying the same thing as paying players? What's really going on here guys is Dabo totally agrees with Spurrier but he can't dare be seen on the same side, so he basically changes the wording that has the same end result without coming out and saying to Clempson nation that he agrees with Spurrier.
This guy gets it.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:

No he's not. Spurrier wants to give a select number of players (not even all of them) money. He said just last week that in each game they should pick 100 players and give them $300 or whatever for that game. There's a LOT more than 100 players for 2 teams, so no it's not the same.

Dabo is saying you raise the ceiling on a Football Scholorship and EVERYONE that gets that scholorship will get a "raise".

And I'm not contradicting myself. If you raise the scholorship "pay" it's all going to be wrapped up in one thing. A scholorship is an honor. If you pay them for playing football or basketball, then you are turning them professional. College athletes are currently "paid" as it is. I THINK they're given something around $200 a month or week or whatever. All I'm saying is, just raise that ceiling in the format it's alread in, and call it a day.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #18
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

The thing that a lot of people seem to ignore is that players already receive per diem.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #19
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPat View Post
Close...religious studies

Old 07-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #20
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

Quote:
Best post in thread and you are correct