CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
bcolinc
Cockypantherfan
WeStillOwnUSC
18IsTheMan
GSC2013
Kyle76
HeadCockFan
Dizzy01
Spurticus
Roosterboy
The Demise of the 3- (1873)
Pirate Depth Chart (1151)
Past SEC Champions w (1124)
East Carolina Predic (994)
who thinks we need a (960)
Why didn't Wes Green (899)
Did we ever go after (491)
You guys are horribl (393)
It's the offenses no (289)
Finally Cooled Off (275)
Gamecock football Long Te
Mike Davis "doubtful
Tanner McEvoy should've s
Watching the Georgia game
Past SEC Champions who ha
Labor Day Weekend Eats
The best and cheapest aut
Carolina opens -15.5
The Demise of the 3-4
Pirate Depth Chart

Old 07-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
YankeeGamecock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 600
YankeeGamecock is developing his combYankeeGamecock is developing his combYankeeGamecock is developing his combYankeeGamecock is developing his combYankeeGamecock is developing his combYankeeGamecock is developing his combYankeeGamecock is developing his combYankeeGamecock is developing his combYankeeGamecock is developing his comb
Default Football Tailgating Food

Just picked up a nice pull behind grill this week in Lancaster, SC for this season. Finally took the leap. I'm trying to put a list together of good foods to cook on it so I can season her well this year.

So far I have:

Boston Butts (definitely have to be a night game on these, maybe even start the morning of an finish there)
Burgers and Dogs
Brats
Ribs
Drunken Chicken
Wings

Anyone else have any recommendations for stuff that is good to grill on gameday? I'll probably have to cook a fairly decent amount. I've got a budget of about $250/gm or so.

YankeeGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material
Default Re: Football Tailgating Food

I have never cooked on a grill for a tailgate. I've done seafood boils in November. But never grilled. Mostly cause it's too damn hot at our games to be grilling.

But I have total respect for guys that do. The whole grill behind a truck thing is pretty BA.

Items to grill:

Seafood and veggies are an excellent options. Shrimp and oysters are especially good on the grill. Use a little old bay and/or season salt on the veg. Good stuff. And the ladies will appreciate options other than meat.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
QueenCityCockFan
1/2-Star Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 400
QueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudly
Send a message via Skype™ to QueenCityCockFan

Youve pretty much got everything down from what I can tell. Just maybe Nureye's word on some more seafood on there. Can never go wrong with more seafood.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

First off, let's talk about the rig a little. Lets see more pics of that bad boy. It looks pretty good, but if that's the fire box in the middle you may eventually have problems with the heat bending the steal.

Where did you get it from? If I can be nosey, what did it run you? I would expect 2-3k?

Ok, to food ...

Yes, if you're doing a butt, you'll have to throw them one at least the night before. I normally say AT LEAST an hour per pound if you're cooking around 275. Then you have to expect to lose about half of the weight during the cook. If you're doing a 10lb butt, except to have 5lbs of pulled pork when you're finished. Now, you may end up with a little more than that, but it's always better to have more than you need.

Ribs, if you do baby backs, you should be able to knock those out in less than 5 hours (probably quicker to be honest). If you're doing Spare ribs (the better of the 2) you're looking at 5-6 probably.

Beer can chicken, you may want to try one on there before you buy a lot and take them to a tailgate. I can't tell how much clearance you have there, but it looks like they'd be a tight fit in there.

The others ... of course.

Another thing is ABTs. Cut jalapenos in half, clean out the seeds and all that mess out of the middle. Then do a filling of whatever you want. I do 1/3 cup of cream cheese, 1/3 cup of cheddar cheese and a 1/3 cup of pulled pork ... you can do anything you want. Then wrap in Bacon. Smoke those bad boys for about an hour at 300 degrees.

Don't forget sides either.

P.S. Moving to Carolina Eats forum since that's the food area of the board.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

for something different for early games we usually grill sausage, bacon, and cook a big pot of shrimp and grits. have also had egg stuffed bell peppers and breakfast pizza on flat bread.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Whole pork loins are great to do at a game. Cut them in half so you can cook the darker end a little longer. But these will be done in 1-1.5 hours at around 300. Beef Tenderloin. Cook either of these and throw on sausage, shrimp skewers and bacon wrapped scallop skewers for "snacks". Don't know the dimensions on your cooker, but for a 7PM game you can also get out there around 4AM and do a small hog.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Don't really care what you cook, just let me know where you're parked. Guessing you have an equally impressive cooler full of barley pop??
gamecock88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

P.S. just make sure you season the pit before you start cooking on it.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #9
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
P.S. just make sure you season the pit before you start cooking on it.
Pure lard is cheap and works well for that.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote