CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
jrussjr
Order 66
Spur's Addiction
gAmkok
eightohhthree
highstick
StormOfTalons
Coulwoodwarlord
Goofyboy
Clem5on fans are bes (2647)
Rank the SEC startin (1497)
Defensive personnel (1345)
Kendrick salley (1340)
Mizzou Depth Chart v (1236)
7:30 kickoff for Ken (1236)
Cack's Toast of the (758)
Defense not an issue (736)
Legitimate, Unbiased (517)
Brawl at 49ers/Cardi (514)
Legitimate, Unbiased Opin
Defense not an issue....
SEC East Race as of 9/21
open discussion of this t
Kendrick salley
Mizzou Depth Chart vs Sou
7:30 kickoff for Kentucky
I guess we don't get all
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Defensive personnel quest

Old 08-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
4Ever2Thee
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2940
4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit
Default The SEC's most underrated rivalry: UGA vs South Carolina

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/201...orgia-rivalry/

Nice article I found on reddit. I was lmao at some of the butt hurt uga fans in the comments
4Ever2Thee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:40 AM   #2
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

CockyCash: 500
Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material
Default Re: The SEC's most underrated rivalry: UGA vs South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Ever2Thee View Post
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/201...orgia-rivalry/

Nice article I found on reddit. I was lmao at some of the butt hurt uga fans in the comments
I don't sense "butt hurt." Maybe you are more sensitive than me when it comes to sniffing out butt hurtness.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilchicken2 View Post
I don't sense "butt hurt." Maybe you are more sensitive than me when it comes to sniffing out butt hurtness.
Well he linked the article on Saturday Down South - I think he was referring to comments he saw on reddit. So you'd have to dig up the reddit comments section where this article was linked.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

We are bigger rivals to you then you to us unless as a GA fan you grew up in Augusta or SC. Spurrier has added spice to it but outside of the CSRA and SC dawg fans UF,GT,Aub even Tenn in the northern part of GA are bigger. Georgia's location being in the middle of so many other programs and being a hot bed of high school talent I contend we have more heated rivalry games then any other school in the nation.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg77 View Post
We are bigger rivals to you then you to us unless as a GA fan you grew up in Augusta or SC. Spurrier has added spice to it but outside of the CSRA and SC dawg fans UF,GT,Aub even Tenn in the northern part of GA are bigger. Georgia's location being in the middle of so many other programs and being a hot bed of high school talent I contend we have more heated rivalry games then any other school in the nation.
And I'm fine with that. Obviously Clemson is viewed as our biggest rival. Our permanent cross division of Arkansas has always really kind of had no feeling - at least that I could perceive as a Gamecock fan. UGA takes #2 for us by default really, the proximity, and I have to say, the fan representation that I've seen in Williams-Brice? It was like they were trying to start fights. In fact, when I was 8 or 9, I saw my first fight at the stadium, right in front of me, UGA fan vs USC fan. The USC fan won, both were taken by police and there was blood smeared down the bleachers.

I'm sure there are decent, logical UGA fans. My neighbor in the barracks when I was stationed in Beaufort was dating Bobo's sister in fact, and was a giant UGA fan. He was cool as crap. Of course, we were Marines, and that bond kinda of out-shadowed even SEC Gameday heat. Another guy was an LSU fan, he was kind of an ass though.

Anyways, UGA takes #2 rival by default of not really having any other. I don't know if I could even pick a #3? Also, for whatever reason, we've played UGA at least close since joining the SEC. Plus thrown in some George Rogers/Herschel Walker hype, there's a little history. We've really got none with anybody else.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
paynemd2
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 870
paynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his claws

How many wins in a row will it take for UGA to consider us a rival then? Maybe the fans feel that way (that we aren't a big rival) but I bet the current players on the UGA team are making this game a big priority in 2013 considering the last 3 years the SEC East Winner has been USC-UGA-UGA. Currently your biggest rivals should be USC and Florida considering lately those are the teams standing in the way of your ultimate goal - winning the division and conference. With Tennesse out of the picture the last few years and not a contender this year with their schedule, GT in the ACC, and Auburn down and in the West, it doesn't seem like you would have those games circled on your schedule this year.
paynemd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
BuCockyfan
Two Deep

Male

BuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his comb

Elite teams have elite rivalries....we need to get there. While USC-Clemson is a HUGE rivalry to us, it isn't so to the rest of the country.
BuCockyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
ssladler
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 934
ssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his comb

" smiling for the cameras and the ladies."

Love it. I like the image of Spurrier as a lady-killer.
ssladler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Good points and nobody can sensibly argue that. I do think it's more of a rivalry to the teams and players involved. Since SOS has been here, we seem to have more and more players from the state of Georgia. Many of those players are key contributors during the games. UGA somestimes has a player or two from SC. Small state neighbor to a big state and a recruiting hotbed. That helps to add some fuel to the game for the players.
gamecock88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynemd2 View Post
How many wins in a row will it take for UGA to consider us a rival then? Maybe the fans feel that way (that we aren't a big rival) but I bet the current players on the UGA team are making this game a big priority in 2013 considering the last 3 years the SEC East Winner has been USC-UGA-UGA. Currently your biggest rivals should be USC and Florida considering lately those are the teams standing in the way of your ultimate goal - winning the division and conference. With Tennesse out of the picture the last few years and not a contender this year with their schedule, GT in the ACC, and Auburn down and in the West, it doesn't seem like you would have those games circled on your schedule this year.
GT and Auburn are always circled there is too much history not to have them circled. Yes for conference purposes your game is huge but so is LSU, UF but by the same token so is Vandy,Kentucky, and Mizzou because it does no good to beat y'all and UF then lose to one or two of them.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Quote:
Keep telling yourself that.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #12
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
Good points and nobody can sensibly argue that. I do think it's more of a rivalry to the teams and players involved. Since SOS has been here, we seem to have more and more players from the state of Georgia. Many of those players are key contributors during the games. UGA somestimes has a player or two from SC. Small state neighbor to a big state and a recruiting hotbed. That helps to add some fuel to the game for the players.
Players at SC many of them feel slighted if they were not offered from UGA, it'sd the same thing for guys in Nashville and Lexington that fuels all 3 teams look at Franklin at Vandy he has come after GA as hard as TN ofcourse he might be regretting it now.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowneygotcha View Post
Keep telling yourself that.
You're behind GT,UF,Aub sorry those 3 are tied to Georgia football lore mainly because for about 70 years those 3 ended the season you had to go through the UF-AU-GT gauntlet to win anything at UGA. Losing a few times in a row isn't going to make a rivalry that over takes those historical grudge matches its winning and losing with everything on the line for both sides your position on the schedule doesn't afford you that opportunity being the 2nd game both teams even with a loss feel like they can get right back into the race. Look at last year you beat us the worst you ever have in history and had Murray's pass gone to Mitchell and not been tipped it would have been a footnote and barely registered in anyone's mind.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #14
Spartan
Blue Chip

Male

Spartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudly

On a related topic, there is an interesting Half-Cocked podcast over on GarnetandBlackattack.com about the Clemson-UGA 'rivalry.' The guest on the last segment of the podcast is Kyle King, who wrote a book about the Clemson-Georgia "rivalry." The only difference between UGA-CU and UGA-USC is that UGA won a championship in 1980, and Clemson in 1981 so there were some intense games in that late 70s early 80s era when they played each other annually.

While that discussion is actually kind of interesting, at the end they talk about Carolina-Georgia and the significance that our rivalry with them now has relative to their more traditional rivalries. The jist of it is that in his view, UGA sees Auburn, Florida, and Georgia Tech as their primary rivals, and the significance of each varies by generation... GT is viewed as the primary rival by older generations, Auburn by folks his age, and Florida by younger folks and he gets into explanations as to why he thinks that is the case. Anyway, in reference to Carolina, he says that in his view we are definitely a rival in the sense that they enjoy beating us more than most on their schedule, but we don't yet have the 'traditional' factor that the other schools do. I'm sure I'll be corrected by UGA fans, but its a good listen.

It seems to me that if we keep challenging them for the SEC East crown every year, that eventually the rivalry from the UGA perspective will move up on their list.

http://www.garnetandblackattack.com/...dia-days-and-t

Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
On a related topic, there is an interesting Half-Cocked podcast over on GarnetandBlackattack.com about the Clemson-UGA 'rivalry.' The guest on the last segment of the podcast is Kyle King, who wrote a book about the Clemson-Georgia "rivalry." The only difference between UGA-CU and UGA-USC is that UGA won a championship in 1980, and Clemson in 1981 so there were some intense games in that late 70s early 80s era when they played each other annually.

While that discussion is actually kind of interesting, at the end they talk about Carolina-Georgia and the significance that our rivalry with them now has relative to their more traditional rivalries. The jist of it is that in his view, UGA sees Auburn, Florida, and Georgia Tech as their primary rivals, and the significance of each varies by generation... GT is viewed as the primary rival by older generations, Auburn by folks his age, and Florida by younger folks and he gets into explanations as to why he thinks that is the case. Anyway, in reference to Carolina, he says that in his view we are definitely a rival in the sense that they enjoy beating us more than most on their schedule, but we don't yet have the 'traditional' factor that the other schools do. I'm sure I'll be corrected by UGA fans, but its a good listen.

It seems to me that if we keep challenging them for the SEC East crown every year, that eventually the rivalry from the UGA perspective will move up on their list.

http://www.garnetandblackattack.com/...dia-days-and-t
The late 70s-1980s is all Clemson has to cling to because it was 5-5-1 but even with that they were still behind those 3, now they are behind y'all and Tennessee. Other the that 11 game stretch Clemson isn't any better vs us then y'all are which is why I chuckled when they tell me how much bigger a rival they are then SC now. The only thing they had over y'all back in the day was being 60 miles apart then they started buying players.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #16
bhs04
high motor

Male

bhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his comb

Quote:
Historically no, we are not your biggest rivals. That will take awhile to change that.

I would point to the Colts vs. Patriots games while Peyton was there as a point of reference. They weren't historically the biggest rivals(Bearsvs.Packers type of thing), but the importance of that game between Indy and the Pats every year had division, conference, and title implications. That is what I would compare our rivalry to.

Patriots:Colts::Dawgs:Gamecocks

Bears:Packers::Dawgs:Florida

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
bhs04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #17
Mt. Lattimore
At the Top

Male

Mt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPit

the Ga/GT rivalry is a joke
Mt. Lattimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #18
TailgatingD
Walk On

Male

TailgatingD has hatched from the shell

I do agree we are a secondary rival at best for ga (due to our history), but we are a high priority for them this year. If we continue to win this game & challenge for the East, then we will become a rival. It will take a few years of winning.
TailgatingD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #19
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
The late 70s-1980s is all Clemson has to cling to because it was 5-5-1 ...

Sort of true.

I grew up a UGA fan in that era and it was the most brutal, intense, redneck rivalry I've been around.

Fans hated each other, and there were national implications just about every time they played.

In a lot of ways that game was MUCH bigger to UGA than the UF game b/c UGA whipped UF every year until OBC arrived.

I was sad to see that rivalry go away, but any UGA fan aged 45+ has a real hatred of Clemson. And I suspect it works the same way at Clemson as well.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #20
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
Sort of true.

I grew up a UGA fan in that era and it was the most brutal, intense, redneck rivalry I've been around.

Fans hated each other, and there were national implications just about every time they played.

In a lot of ways that game was MUCH bigger to UGA than the UF game b/c UGA whipped UF every year until OBC arrived.

I was sad to see that rivalry go away, but any UGA fan aged 45+ has a real hatred of Clemson. And I suspect it works the same way at Clemson as well.
Clemson has fans?