CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
Regalcock
Gamecocks1137
WeStillOwnUSC
Tolley
SwampFox
GamecockGuardsman
kingofnerf
ColaCock
doubledribble
TN game weather (1093)
Who is your favorite (864)
Marvel releases movi (398)
Michigan AD Dave Bra (386)
Aliens Are Real (361)
FSU vs. Louisville (301)
Virgin Spaceship Exp (239)
Need a ride tomorrow (168)
Brady Hoke Motivatio (148)
Talking Animals (107)
Interesting quotes from D
2014 Garnet and Black Wor
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
Cavs vs. Bulls
Uniforms for Tenn
Tennessee - South Carolin
Lattimore to play after S
TN game weather
NCAAF: TENNESSEE @ SOUTH
NCAAF: ARKANSAS @ MISSISS

Old 08-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material
Default Question for the personal trainers/weightlifters on here

So I finished up p90x last week. I would like to continue working out to try to gain some muscle mass. I'm not a big dude at all. The p90x has given me some muscle definition, but I still am thin. I drank the recovery drinks during the 90 days, but don't know if those really help with anything. I've gone to gnc to find something to help with the muscle mass gain but there are a million products out there. Creatine, anabolic sterols, pills, drinks, bars, and ingredients to stuff that I can't even pronounce. I started to ask the lady at the counter, but she didn't really know. My question for you guys is, what exactly should I be taking to help with the muscle mass gain? I've got some samples of the creatine and sterols, but if there is something else better out there, what is it? Are the recovery drinks a waste of money? Thanks for the advice.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Question for the personal trainers/weightlifters on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockymac View Post
So I finished up p90x last week. I would like to continue working out to try to gain some muscle mass. I'm not a big dude at all. The p90x has given me some muscle definition, but I still am thin. I drank the recovery drinks during the 90 days, but don't know if those really help with anything. I've gone to gnc to find something to help with the muscle mass gain but there are a million products out there. Creatine, anabolic sterols, pills, drinks, bars, and ingredients to stuff that I can't even pronounce. I started to ask the lady at the counter, but she didn't really know. My question for you guys is, what exactly should I be taking to help with the muscle mass gain? I've got some samples of the creatine and sterols, but if there is something else better out there, what is it? Are the recovery drinks a waste of money? Thanks for the advice.
I will defer to others as I have never had an issue putting on weight, its the opposite struggle for me.

I can tell you Clowney ate pb and j sandwiches this summer to get a few lbs.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Beer.

Trust me on this.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
TheUSCMike
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 4250
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

Let me guess, you want to be this guy.

TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

You should look into the "cream" and the "clear". Worked for Barry Bonds...
markymark550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
Rewster
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPit

You can gain mass by changing your diet. I didn't gain a whole lot, but I gained enough to get me into fighting shape for the Marines just by changing from eating whatever I wanted to what a nutritionist told me my body needed.

I.E. Balanced, nutrient rich meals.

Make sure you eat plenty of protein and fats and don't overdo it with the carbs. With larger people this could also be used to cut weight as most (people) have a problem keeping their carb intake balanced with their protein intake. You can find a good ratio for yourself using google and balanced macro nutrients as a guide. Some websites recommend slightly modified percentages of calories from macronutrients but what really got me over the hump was the 40/30/30. 40% Carbs 30% Protein and 30% Fats.

I started at 6'2" and 140 lbs and peaked at 200 lbs. I'm sitting at 180 lbs right now but I haven't been able to do much of anything recovering from this surgery. I'm a crossfit nut so it's a bit discouraging not having full use of my legs. Anywho, if I sound like I'm all over the place I'm blaming the medicine. lol

If you have anymore questions feel free to shoot me a PM. If you're really serious, a professional dietitian or nutritionist can help you achieve what you want, though they care much more about overall health than vanity goals it seems.
Rewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Increase your protein intake by taking protein shakes, etc. This is one of the easiest and legal ways to add mass. Rule of thumb is 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight per day.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #8
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Protein builds tissues like muscle. It needs to be a larger part of any diet designed to increase muscle mass, but for the protein to do what you want you must incorporate a heavy strengthening routine. Small weights build tone and definition. Heavy weight training (70-85% of one or three rep max) builds size and mass. Use the "8-12 rule" when lifting.

If you can lift a weight more than 12 times, it's too light. If you can't lift it at least 8 reps, it's too heavy. Hit the largest muscles in the upper and lower body and watch the size grow!
Old 08-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

Yeah, I've learned that from p90x. I was curious about all of the product out there, though. I mean, I don't won't to spend $35 on a bottle of creatine or $60 on a tub of amplified whey if they don't help. And there is spool much junk out there to buy, I have no idea where to start.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

Stay out of GNC. Whatever you're looking for, you can find it for a good bit cheaper online.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
CockyCyclone
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 16788014
CockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudly

Eat more food, i was pretty thin and gained about 30 pounds of mostly muscle over about 2 years. I used Jim Wendler's 5-3-1 with lifting heavy weight and doing interval type stuff. Recovery drinks are just a meal substitute more or less but you want to start eating more food for sure.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

CockyCash: 999762
bigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot material

You can get protein powder for a lot less at Wal Mart than GNC, has the same stuff in it for less than half the cost.

bigdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #13
Rewster
Blue Chip

Male

Rewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPitRewster rules the CockPit

Also, GNC employees will always push their brand, whether or not it's "as effective" as anything else.
Rewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #14
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

I have been having this issue too, not sure if my metabolism is just that high, or if I am not eating enough but I cannot seem to gain muscle weight. It just disappears. I eat regularly and even if I tried I could not eat much more than I do, or I would get sick most likely. How can I build more muscle while exercising without over indulging, because I have never been one to eat all my food, as much as I try.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #15
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Beer.

Trust me on this.
and pizza....seriously, I am very skeptical of different nutrition supplements/additives that help someone gain weight because they are not regulated.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #16
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

I'm a trainer. Lift heavy and eat 400-500 calories above your daily caloric intake. You can calculate this online. This is the only way to add muscle. You have to eat eat an eat. And you will add some body fat ass well. Don't worry you will burn it off later.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #17
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Personally when I work out I never use those protein shakes, creatine, or anything like that. If you want more protein in your diet just increase the lean meat intake during the day, you get the same amount of protein without all the synthetic chemicals.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #18
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockymac View Post
hit the weights my man and up protein intake . make sure you eat clean. chicken good carbs for lunch and dinner, breakfast egg whites to the equivalent to two eggs with a normal egg with a cup of cereal with no more than 9 grams of sugar. protein shake between meals with fruit or something. get a good protein look at the label and make sure you can account for everything on it basically if its a 30 g scoop and its 24 grams of protein in it so u have to account for the 6 grams left if u can its fine if u can account for 4 and not the other 2 then there is filler and no good.

if you want a preworkout i use pump fuel and like it but it isnt cheap. i have used nitraflex as well and like it. some creatine will make u retain water making u appear bigger but its just appearance. pump fuel has like a gram or two creatine so not going to make a ton of difference nitraflex has none.
www.bodybuilding.com is a good website check it out. there will be a lot of guys doing what u are doing and succeeding. good luck and if i can answer any questions about supplements , pre workouts or workouts that will help i will.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #19
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyle41386 View Post
Stay out of GNC. Whatever you're looking for, you can find it for a good bit cheaper online.
This. Vitamin Shoppe is much cheaper, as well as places online.

GNC doesn't make anything....it's all private-labeled for them by other companies. I used to take their Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. Stuff is great. But I used to pay $45 and they've gone crazy and now charge $70+. You can get the EXACT same thing...just under a different label...at Vitamin Shoppe for $45.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #20
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

I'm taking the advice of staying away from gnc. I'll finish up the recovery drink stuff I got there, but I'm not spending the money on that overpriced stuff. I just saw a tub of protein shake at Kroger marked down to $15. It had 62g of protein per serving. It's a whole lot more for a lot less. I guess I'll keep with the samples of creatine and sterols that I have for awhile, but I don't know if it will help.