CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
cocky0
gamecockgal
Spurticus
U-Dub Gamecock
JaxcockFL
b381l
75CarolinaFan
robgusc76
2000grad
JohnnyB21
Lattimore Sidelined (1892)
Gurley or Davis (1797)
Steve Spurrier - Say (1269)
A house just blew up (665)
South Carolina Footb (571)
Marines confront fak (410)
Gators brag on Clown (286)
Man Murders neighbor (284)
Ryan Wood leaving P& (234)
Predict TAMU 2014 (177)
Southern Miss player char
Gators brag on Clowney
Predict TAMU 2014
Signee James Thompson arr
Minda Kacinas Q&A - G
Lattimore Sidelined By Le
2015 - Dallas Warmack - A
2015 - Ty'Son Williams
Green and Lammons
Need 4 Tickets for UGA GA

Old 08-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
Carolinafan8908
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talons
Default Question about Spurrier

Im a diehard and loyal Gamecock living up in Spartanburg. I am excited, this is the first year ive purchased season football tickets! Anyway my question is will Spurrier be signing autographs on Sunday? Ive never actually met him and would really like to. But dont wanna drive all the way to Columbia if i have no chance of meeting him. Thanks
Carolinafan8908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material
Default Re: Question about Spurrier

Yes. But, Spurrier is not a warm and fuzzy type of person. Not saying he is a jerk or mean, but I remember 7 years ago when we attended this event, I stood in line with my son, who was about 6 months old. WE got to Spurrier and I asked him if minded taking a picture with my son. He looked at me and said, "I don't hold babies." I put my son up on the table and kind of steadied him with my hand and my wife snapped a picture right quick.

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
TakeEM
Recruit

Male

TakeEM has feathers coming inTakeEM has feathers coming inTakeEM has feathers coming in

You can get an autograph, but it will be on a picture or something else they provide. He does not usually sign personal gear like footballs, cards, etc. There will be a long line and you will not have time to chat it up with the ball coach. Just "hey, good luck this season, thanks, bye"
TakeEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
JNGolf
#PlayInTheNow

Male

CockyCash: 12500000
JNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot material

As a former media guy, I've had several lengthy fun and light conversations with him. We've talked golf and he once ragged me for wearing a Nike USC polo to media day one year because we've never been sponsored by Nike in football. He took a pic with my daughter at fan day in Aiken a couple years ago and actually posed and smiled. If you have the fortunate chance to catch him when there aren't very many people around, then he's really cool; but around crowds when he's obligated to be there, he's more business and less social.
JNGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
Yes. But, Spurrier is not a warm and fuzzy type of person. Not saying he is a jerk or mean, but I remember 7 years ago when we attended this event, I stood in line with my son, who was about 6 months old. WE got to Spurrier and I asked him if minded taking a picture with my son. He looked at me and said, "I don't hold babies." I put my son up on the table and kind of steadied him with my hand and my wife snapped a picture right quick.
What if he dropped him? Kinda smart on Spurriers behalf
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime843 View Post
What if he dropped him? Kinda smart on Spurriers behalf
It's not exactly what your are making it out to be

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

Yeah a lot of famous folks are like that during those types of events. I met Lee Majors once about 15 years ago, and he was pretty short with me too. Looking at it from his perspective, I would probably be less than enthusiastic about signing stuff for fans too. The only celebrity I've ever met who was personable was George W. Bush, but he was in full campaign mode, so I imagine he was nice to everyone at that point.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
GoCocks09CSOL
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 239530
GoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his comb

As others have said, Spurrier is not very chatty and will want to move things along quickly.

I got him to sign one of those USC autograph footballs that you can get at Adams at the Carolina Calls (or whatever it was called) weekly radio call in show at Wild Wings in the Vista.

I don't know if Spurrier even still does this, but if he does, this is a great bet to get an autograph. There usually aren't too many people hounding him there, and if you tip your waiter/waitress a few bucks, they might even be willing to take the ball/sharpie up to him.

I remember them not allowing fans to just walk up to the table and talk to him during the show, so I did what I said above, and gave our server a few bucks to take it to him. She snuck over to the side of the stage when there was a lull in the show and got the John Hancock.

Apparently he made a comment to her along the lines of, "I better not see this on Ebay." She made it very clear to him that it was for a table nearby, and pointed us out. We made it clear that we had ZERO interest in selling the thing. (Read: acted like crazed fans when she pointed us out.) Ever since then I've had it displayed in a case in my office.

Now, if anybody can give me the lowdown on getting a Clowney autograph, I'd be all over that.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
SuperCockMaster
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
SuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
I don't blame him. I know this will sound dick, but he's in his late 60's and has a demanding job for his age. Babies are a veritable petri dish for viruses, etc. He probably just wanted to avoid a potential sickness before the start of the season. He could've said it nicer, but that's probably his reasoning on the matter.
SuperCockMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNGolf View Post
As a former media guy, I've had several lengthy fun and light conversations with him. We've talked golf and he once ragged me for wearing a Nike USC polo to media day one year because we've never been sponsored by Nike in football. He took a pic with my daughter at fan day in Aiken a couple years ago and actually posed and smiled. If you have the fortunate chance to catch him when there aren't very many people around, then he's really cool; but around crowds when he's obligated to be there, he's more business and less social.
This is what I've heard from a lot of people ... Not only Gamecock fans
who have had chance run ins with him, but several Florida gator fans
have told me word for word the same thing.... it's just a matter of where
you catch him. If he's doing any kind of "business" related to football
or the university, HE IS ALL BUSINESS and he has a harsh way of telling
people "NO" ...I've witnessed that first hand at the practice field,
However, I've spoke with some friends of mine on the phone who were
in Atlanta a couple of years ago when we played in the Chick Fil A bowl
agains FSU. They had just run into him and his wife in a bar sitting with
Urban Meyer and his wife. They said he was in a very good mood, and
signed some autographs and allowed them to take several pictures.

I was at the practice field last year when he was coming in the gate
and a guy had his (looked like 5-6 year old) son with him. He asked
Spurrier to sign the roster and Spurrier flat told him NO, I can't do
that.... he walked away , and the guy said .."it's not for me, it's for
my son" ....Spurrier stopped , turned around, and looked directly at the
man and said "Loudly" the school has a rule against anyone signing
stuff out here.... Didn't you hear about that" ? ... then turned and
walked onto the field.

He's hateful at times, but he's brutally honest. It comes off as asshole,
and maybe he is, but that rule has been posted and announced clearly
for years now...... some people just think the rules are just something
that the school has in place because they have to. .... Some coaches
will ignore it and sign a few autographs, Some (like Coach Spurrier ) won't
Old 08-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #11
Mt. Lattimore
At the Top

Male

Mt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinafan8908 View Post
Im a diehard and loyal Gamecock living up in Spartanburg. I am excited, this is the first year ive purchased season football tickets! Anyway my question is will Spurrier be signing autographs on Sunday? Ive never actually met him and would really like to. But dont wanna drive all the way to Columbia if i have no chance of meeting him. Thanks

Your chances of meeting him are slim to none.
Mt. Lattimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
Wkrice91
Blue Chip

Male

Wkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudly

I went to the fan day a few years ago, and I found the organization of the event somewhat of a challenge. Anyway, I did get through the line to Spurrier's autograph, and he is all business at this event. Not much small talk at all, but I guess he really doesn't like these crowds.

At any rate, Coach Elliott and Mangus were great. Very friendly and chatty.

I also had a friend who used to work at a restaurant in the Vista. He said one time Spurrier came in for dinner and a beer. My friend and his fiance' and some of their friends asked to take a picture with him. Spurrier didn't want to take a picture with the guys, only the girls. After a lot of pleading, Spurrier relented and had his photo taken with all of them. They all had fun, and said Spurrier was cool about, and not an asshole at all.
Wkrice91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
Tolley
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 78000
Tolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPitTolley rules the CockPit

I got a football signed by him at Fan Fest in Charlotte last year. When I got to the table to have him sign my ball, I thanked him for coming to Charlotte and doing these events for the fans. In a very matter of fact way, he said, "Welp, that's what we do in the offseason".
It could've been perceived as a little dickish, but I understood.
Tolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #14
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Yeah and when you meet Spurrier, remember he doesn't do handshakes. It is the fistbump and your lucky if you get that. He does shake hands though, other coaches, or for business reasons. So don't try to shake his hand cuz you will get the fist bump anyways lol
Old 08-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #15
boowilliam4
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 400
boowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowneygotcha View Post
Yeah and when you meet Spurrier, remember he doesn't do handshakes. It is the fistbump and your lucky if you get that. He does shake hands though, other coaches, or for business reasons. So don't try to shake his hand cuz you will get the fist bump anyways lol

I went in for the handshake myself, he gave me the fist bump. beautiful drunken moment regardless.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #16
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Could you imagine if he was a supervisor at a job?
Old 08-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
Cocklover
Take Chances

Female

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Non Football Poster 
CockyCash: 1103858
Cocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocklover

He speaks to you at the Appreciation Day event and if you want a picture you better take it quick because they hurry you through the line...I've snapped a couple with my kids behind him and he looks at the camera...he doesn't mind that. Never been rude to me or my kids.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #18
Mongocock
Blue Chip

Male

Mongocock rules the CockPitMongocock rules the CockPitMongocock rules the CockPitMongocock rules the CockPitMongocock rules the CockPitMongocock rules the CockPitMongocock rules the CockPitMongocock rules the CockPitMongocock rules the CockPitMongocock rules the CockPitMongocock rules the CockPit

He gave my sons a fist bump, signed their mini helmet, and snapped a photo at the fan fest in Spartanburg. Was very nice but very abrupt and to the point. Like anyone else it's the mood and situation.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #19
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolley View Post
I got a football signed by him at Fan Fest in Charlotte last year. When I got to the table to have him sign my ball, I thanked him for coming to Charlotte and doing these events for the fans. In a very matter of fact way, he said, "Welp, that's what we do in the offseason".
It could've been perceived as a little dickish, but I understood.
I was there. And I watched from afar. He had no idea just how much Tolley was cherishing the moment. I saw the look in my son's eyes and the smile on his face............it was just another autograph for the HBC.

Sometimes you, you gotta let it slide...... I love you Joshua ! And couldn't be more proud to attend games with you.
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #20
Legalman72
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 19718410
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

I'd rather win with a guy who's occasionally a smart-a$$ than ghet waxed with a gomer/clown who makes a fool of himself.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote