CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
NAGamecockFan
taylorssc
Gamecocks321
GarnetSwarm1990
doubledribble
Lonnie
Cocks N Stuff
El Cid Ranger
Master Bedroom
So Disappointed With (1829)
Rank the QBs under S (1358)
Back like cooked cra (963)
Tennessee game (651)
Who start on the d l (613)
Google finally gets (471)
No Comments on the H (456)
lack of production= (377)
Squats (337)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (160)
7 on 7 flag football bloc
SEC Debate: Best candidat
Why I think we beat Aubur
So Disappointed With The
Thoughts on the basketbal
Back like cooked crack
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
If the Head Ball Coach re
Vote For Cocky

Old 08-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material
Default How To Make Grits

There was a lot of questions on my BBQ board when I posted the cheese grits with the T-Bone and Shrimp, so I got my wife to do a post about how to make grits ... the right way.

http://onenine3bbq.blogspot.com/2013...nkees-out.html

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: How To Make Grits

Confused.

Cornmeal...grits?

Not saying it can't be done, but that is going to give you some really fine grits...which would be more mushy and not have the same consistency of actual grits.

Just never heard of anyone doing that.

ColaCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

CockyCash: 200
GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

Salt and lots of love. That's my secret to good grits.
GoCCUChants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

LOL at this thread! C'MON MANNNN
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
Confused.

Cornmeal...grits?

Not saying it can't be done, but that is going to give you some really fine grits...which would be more mushy and not have the same consistency of actual grits.

Yeah i agree, unless you are making Polenta. (Which is nearly identical to grits.) However looking at your pics, that looks like white hominy grits, which is a touch different than cornmeal.

Anyways you guys do yours about the same way I do mine, except i do a 4:1 ratio of liquid to grits. 3 parts water, 1 part milk, 1 part grits. And once it all comes together, I add a shitload of butter.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
CockyInGA
Winning Anyway.

Male

CockyCash: 290
CockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPit

Love the note at the end... :)

"Now, there's no more excuses for our Northern and West Coast friends. Add sugar to your tea and grits to your breakfast and start to enjoy the greater things in life"

I was born and raised in the South and I can admit...I've never had a thing for grits. Honestly, the only grits I've been able to down are the "Creamy Dreamy Grits" at the Flying Biscuit (My GOD they're good), but as always, you never disappoint, so I'll have to give these a shot :)
CockyInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocky0 View Post
Yeah i agree, unless you are making Polenta. (Which is nearly identical to grits.) However looking at your pics, that looks like white hominy grits, which is a touch different than cornmeal.

Anyways you guys do yours about the same way I do mine, except i do a 4:1 ratio of liquid to grits. 3 parts water, 1 part milk, 1 part grits. And once it all comes together, I add a shitload of butter.
The first time my EX wife cooked Grits, she said she cooked her's
"The Southern Way" ..... She cooked them and when I tasted them, I
literally spit them out all over the table, and yelled, "WHAT THE HELL" ?!!
She put sugar in my grits ... SUGAR IN MY GRITS !!!

I told her DO NOT EVER under any circumstances PUT SUGAR IN MY
GRITS AGAIN.... better off, I'll make my own grits from now on, and
you make yours.

I'm no longer married to that woman.

Occasionally, I'll do (as Cocky0 does) and add milk, but mine are made
simple, cooked slow, salt and pepper and LOTS of butter, and If I can't
eat them with a fork, they weren't cooked right.

I tired Cheese grits about two years ago for the first time when I was
out at Shealy's Bar-b-que, and liked them, so about once every two
months, I add shredded cheese to them before they come off the burner.
Just enough to give them a "flavor"

Until then the only exceptable variation of "True Southern Grits" was
to add some home made sawmill gravy to them. .... Don't care for
Grits and Red Eye Gravy.

AND, I don't really consider it "Grits" Per Se, but if you are a Redneck
in the mood for Fine Dining, Shrimp and Grits is Delicious.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
A-Cluckwork-Orange
Optimist

Male

CockyCash: 500
A-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his combA-Cluckwork-Orange is developing his comb

^
A-Cluckwork-Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

^

shrimp and grits are awesome.

i cooked enough grits for 150 people at my cousin's wedding a few months ago. 40 gallon stainless steel pot stirred with a small oar. then cooked the shrimp on the side in another pot.

had to take shifts stirring...it will wear your butt out!

Old 08-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

My mother is from Maryland, we never allowed her to cook grits in our house.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #11
GoCocks09CSOL
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 239530
GoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his combGoCocks09CSOL is developing his comb

I have to confess that I usually use instant grits if I'm making them. I know, I know. It's a travesty.

When I do cheese grits, I used to use this cheese, similar to Velveeta from Kraft:

I can't find that anymore, so now I usually just use whatever I have -- cheddar or velveeta.

Like others, lots of butter, salt and pepper.

I love some cheese grits with some of my biscuits and gravy. Speaking of which, I don't toot my own horn too much, but my biscuits and gravy is the bomb.com.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #12
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Confused.

Cornmeal...grits?

Agreed. Never heard that. Sounds mushy but if he said it's good, we'll have to take his word for it.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #13
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

For you guys liking shrimp and grits, try this variation:

Melt about a tablespoon of butter in the pan/pot over medium heat. Saute your shrimp (tails on, shells off.) until they are fully cooked, then remove and set aside. (I like to store them in a warm oven until I'm ready to serve.

Toss in one finely diced onion and a good heavy pinch or 2 of salt. Sweat the onions until they become soft, then toss in one finely minced clove of garlic Almost immediately, add in some chicken broth and bring it to a boil before stirring in your grits. Once the grits have cooked to your liking, kill the heat, stir in salt and pepper to taste along with additional butter if desired and a good handful of sharp cheddar.

Serve in a bowl with the shrimp on the side for dipping.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #14
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
^

shrimp and grits are awesome.

i cooked enough grits for 150 people at my cousin's wedding a few months ago. 40 gallon stainless steel pot stirred with a small oar. then cooked the shrimp on the side in another pot.

had to take shifts stirring...it will wear your butt out!
Absolutely. Litterally hundreds of ways to cook it, with different combinations
of veggies and meats added to it. .... My youngest brother's daughter
got married a couple of months ago, and they served Shrimp and Grits
at their reception. It had a good taste to it, but there was so many
people there waiting in line to get served, that the ones in the back
of the line (like myself) got grits that were on the "cold side". The
people they had making and serving it were a little bit unorganized.

The Cracker Barrell served Shrimp and Grits for a limited time a year or
so ago, and the way they made them were FANTASTIC ! ... they added
Squash, Bell peppers and even Fried Green Tomatos to them. I almost
cried when they took it off the menu.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #15
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

Any time I order or hear about grits I think back to the My Cousin Vinny grits scenes.
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #16
HardRockCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 9998250
HardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot materialHardRockCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Rob View Post
Any time I order or hear about grits I think back to the My Cousin Vinny grits scenes.

Classic scene from a classic movie....Vinnie knew his grits, pretty good for a yankee!!!
HardRockCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #17
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

My ex used to put chopped tomatoes in hers. She's since been replaced by someone slimmer.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #18
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
My ex used to put chopped tomatoes in hers. She's since been replaced by someone slimmer.
Hm, that isn't so bad...I do that as well for breakfast. Grits with a few slices of tomato...then I will cut it up and eat them together.

I won't MAKE them together, but they do go well eating together.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #19
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Grits...Cook slowly and stir fast...Add salt and pepper to taste....Takes about 15 to 20 minutes at the most...Salteez skrimpz till pink and set to the side....Now.....take bell pepper,onions and bacon... cook till damn near burnt to a crisp...Turn the heat down and add chicken broth and a little Pepsi.................Take the skrimpz you cooked earlier and add to the mixture...Stir for a bit so the taste of your gravy gets in with the skrimpz....Now put yo gritz in a bowl and pour your shrimpz along wiff the gravey on top..Make sure to sprinkle a good helping of extra sharp cheddar cheese on top with a dab of hot sauce to crown the achievement...Stir it all up and enjoy wiff a KoBeerz........................................... .........................
Old 08-07-2013, 12:01 AM   #20
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Quote:
Hm, that isn't so bad...I do that as well for breakfast. Grits with a few slices of tomato...then I will cut it up and eat them together.

I won't MAKE them together, but they do go well eating together.
Yea but she would damn near make it taste like pure ketchup in it.