CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Clowneygotcha
eightohhthree
Gamecocks1137
gamecockgal
Evilchicken3
spareparts
Order 66
Acockolypse Now
Badazcock
Terrible Officiating (1916)
Cack's Toast of the (1777)
Acock's Wrap Up: Geo (1690)
If (big IF) we can w (1473)
Elliott Fry crushes (1447)
No Gurley near the g (1352)
USC -21 and a hook @ (1328)
How the top 25 SHOUL (903)
The SEC East schedul (773)
Photos of fans befor (729)
20 of 31 former players s
Name a Gamecock
Been a pleasure talking w
Malcolm Mitchell
Missouri Game Set For 7:0
Tired of night games
Verne lundquist
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
Elliott Fry crushes Clems
For Sale - 07 Dodge Nitro

Old 08-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
TroubleCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
TroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his comb
Default We have Gained More Than We Have Lost..

I was sitting here going over the roster, and granted we miss ACE, ML, D. Taylor and a few more. We Havn't been having the usual "who will replace marcus" or "who will be #1 in the fall " threads. That being said i think our recruiting has really stepped up. I don't feel there is a drop-off if any at all in our talent level.Maybe a drop off in experience, but not talent. Do you agree?
TroubleCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
JDStud6
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly
Default Re: We have Gained More Than We Have Lost..

We've proven we can win without Marcus the last 2 years. The loss of Devin doesn't scare me because we have proven talent there. Ace and the LB's will be our biggest losses. Hopefully the young LB's step up and we'll have a solid team again. I have faith in Wilds and Davis...as we've seen Wilds can play in this league.

JD
JDStud6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
Stonecoldcock
Starter

CockyCash: 20001160
Stonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleCock View Post
I was sitting here going over the roster, and granted we miss ACE, ML, D. Taylor and a few more. We Havn't been having the usual "who will replace marcus" or "who will be #1 in the fall " threads. That being said i think our recruiting has really stepped up. I don't feel there is a drop-off if any at all in our talent level.Maybe a drop off in experience, but not talent. Do you agree?
I think you forgot about the hardest person to replace from last year:

D.J. Swearinger...

he is irreplaceable by one person. He brings so much more than just good safety play, he brings an attitude to our defense, he made more big plays last year on defense than anyone accept Clowney. He was the leader and heart and soul of our defense. We can only hope that as a group of players we can replace even half of what he brought to our defense.

Other than that, we'll feel the loss of Ace as a punt returner, not really as a WR. Where we have learned to win without Marcus, you can't say there won't be a drop in talent there. No offense to Mike Davis or Brandon Wilds, cuz I think they both have a good chance to play professionally, but neither are likely to be 1st rounders like a healthy ML would have, and that's because neither of them are the complete package like ML.

D-line I expect to be better despite losing Devin Taylor, and O-line I expect to be better despite losing TJ.
Stonecoldcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
TroubleCock
Blue Chip

Male

TroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his comb

The main reason i would say ace is the most missed from last year is because he was GREAT on Special Teams. With our schedule i don't see the young LBs taking too long to get it and keep it together. What i really want to see is if our OL is really what the whipers are saying.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 541
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecoldcock View Post

D.J. Swearinger...

he is irreplaceable by one person. He brings so much more than just good safety play, he brings an attitude to our defense, he made more big plays last year on defense than anyone accept Clowney. He was the leader and heart and soul of our defense. We can only hope that as a group of players we can replace even half of what he brought to our defense.

Other than that, we'll feel the loss of Ace as a punt returner, not really as a WR. Where we have learned to win without Marcus, you can't say there won't be a drop in talent there. No offense to Mike Davis or Brandon Wilds, cuz I think they both have a good chance to play professionally, but neither are likely to be 1st rounders like a healthy ML would have, and that's because neither of them are the complete package like ML.

D-line I expect to be better despite losing Devin Taylor, and O-line I expect to be better despite losing TJ.

My thoughts exactly

Trailer Park Supervisor
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
TroubleCock
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecoldcock View Post

D.J. Swearinger...

i didn't forget DJ, just got a little lazy. DJ brought that "Goon Squad" attitude to the team i believe clowney can be a leader that can hype up the team/crowd just as well.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
TroubleCock
Blue Chip

Male

It's funny watching ESPN and all they are talking about is Clowney and inexperienced the team is. Except our D-Line.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
Mt. Lattimore
At the Top

Male

Mt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPit

Chaz Elder has the skillz to replace DJ.

Remember, the OP was talking about having no dropoff in talent, not experience.
Mt. Lattimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Hampton will pick up where dj left off. Hope his game backs up his flair.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

All teams have players leave early ... GREAT teams just replace them.

When Troy Williamson, KO Simpson, Sidney Rice etc etc left, we had no clue where the team would go. When Alshon Jeffery, Melvin Ingram, Travian Robertson, Marcus Lattimore left, we knew we would miss them but would be ok.

We had some good teams in 05-6, but we didn't have the depth to last deep in games with some of the big boys. We're finally to the point that ... we're the big boys. If someone is tired, we just plug in someone else that is just as good as they were.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
Stonecoldcock
Starter

Stonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleCock View Post
i didn't forget DJ, just got a little lazy. DJ brought that "Goon Squad" attitude to the team i believe clowney can be a leader that can hype up the team/crowd just as well.
Clowney can and will be a leader, but probably not like Swearinger. Clowney has stated it himself, he's not the vocal, yell and scream, rah-rah, get guys pumped up type of guy, he's much more introverted. Clowney's not as quiet as Devin "Dont say nuthin" Taylor, but he's much closer to DT than say the type of leader Swearinger was.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
Stonecoldcock
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Lattimore View Post
Chaz Elder has the skillz to replace DJ.

Remember, the OP was talking about having no dropoff in talent, not experience.
I'm not ready to put Elder's talent at Swearinger's level yet, you may be right, but I'm gonna have to see how he does this year before I'm ready to make that claim. I think TJ Gurley, if he's 100% healthy again, will be the closest to looking like Swearinger, but again, not gonna say there's no talent drop-off yet.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Vic Hampton will be close as we can get to Swearinger attitude wise. Legree plays with some emotion sometimes. Clowney and Quarles both have a little attitude out there as well. Hoping Brison Williams takes the next step this year.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #14
TroubleCock
Blue Chip

Male

Kadetrix M. seems to be holding his own in practice too.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #15
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

You never know how the new guys will do until they hit the field. Hell, many of us were wondering how DJ would hold up as the starter when his turn came.

It's interesting to me that we look at other teams and say "Georgia won't be as good this year because they lost x, y, and z" but don't apply the same standard to our team. You have to look deeper at the talent that will replace them. I feel good about where we are, but we won't really know until game time.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #16
TroubleCock
Blue Chip

Male

Agree'd, and we a doing great in the depth department. Especially at the skill positions.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #17
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

All we have right now is Speculation in the replacement of Ace Sanders.
Ace's contributions to the WR spot last year will be missed, but I think
that spot will be easier to replace than his obvious contributions to the
Special Teams / Kick Return game. ... We don't know who we have right
now that can even attempt to replace us there..... IN FACT, I'll go ahead
and say it, "We will not see an improvement in that part of the game"
All I hope is that we can find a person who will not drop us back to the
position we were in prior to Ace's move to the Punt Return spot. ... Those
days when we had guys let a ball go over their heads while standing on
20 yard line and roll dead inside the 5..... and then turn around and fair
catch a ball while standing at the 3 yard line. I'd just like to have a guy
there who can make the right decisions, Not fumble the ball, and can
get you a few yards and keep you out of the shadow of our own goal post.
Now and then break one off for a big gain. ...... If we can find a guy like
that, I'll be OK until we grow someone similar to Ace Sanders.

HOWEVER, the key issue this year is going to be yet again.... The
Offensive Line. Right now we don't know if we are Better, Worse or
the same as last season(s). Worse or the same at this point is unacceptable !
All we have right now is 5 HUGE bodies, and Coach Elliott's words that
they are playing better. We've heard that for 4 years now. Time to
SEE better, rather than hear it before the season starts, and then hear
nothing but excuses for several weeks as to why they aren't better.

AND.... we still don't know if we have a solid / decent Field Goal Kicker.
Last year was "OK" at the start of the year, and it got inconsistent as
the season winded down. .. We need a solid / consistent leg from
the 40-45 yard line, and someone capable of hitting that 50(+) yarder
on occasion.

Not saying we have "LOST" anything here, (save Ace Sanders as a Punt
Return Specialist), but saying we are still uncertain with a couple or
three key spots on the team, that depth can't upgrade or replace. We
need Proven Players There. ... Only play under game conditions will
tell what we have in those areas.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #18
eatlighting
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

eatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot material

I get what the OP is saying about it "feeling" different, and we don't "feel" as aimless or anxious about what to expect.

While I will say we will definitely miss DJ, Ace, and I will add to that, JUSTICE CUNNINGHAM, there is a feeling of security going into this season.

IMO, the reason for that is that we know what is going to happen at QB this year. We have two great guys at QB, so that's not that much of a question mark. I know people want to debate Dylan vs. Connor, but the reality is that they both give us a great opportunity to win. I felt this way last year to an extent (minus not knowing who could step in for Shaw if need be).

I really think that is the answer. Prior to Connor taking over, we just didn't have that with Spurrier. Now we do. It all goes back to depth and player development, and I think we're in our stride right now with that. It used to be that we couldn't even worry about who was returning punts or kicking because the biggest question mark was QB. No need to look further than that if you don't have a solid QB in this league.

I also think that the reason we are seeing an improvement in our QBs is because the rest of the team is working around them. Spurrier builds teams around his QBs. It has taken this long to make a solid supporting cast. We know what his offense looks like when everything falls into place. I think he's finally getting it into place because the team is now talented enough and motivated enough to support his QBs and his system.

I don't know. I could be wrong, but I think that is it.
eatlighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #19
Spotter22
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spotter22 rules the CockPitSpotter22 rules the CockPitSpotter22 rules the CockPitSpotter22 rules the CockPitSpotter22 rules the CockPitSpotter22 rules the CockPitSpotter22 rules the CockPitSpotter22 rules the CockPitSpotter22 rules the CockPitSpotter22 rules the CockPitSpotter22 rules the CockPit

Dont know who can step up and take his place but Holloman was a ball hawk. He is gonna be as tough to replace as Ace and DJ.
Spotter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #20
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Alot of our success this year hinges on the play of Golightly, Lewis, Cooper and Gurley. And Waldrop on the OL.