CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CoverTwo
uscjeremynca
Acockolypse Now
b381l
MACXIMVS
El Cid Ranger
WeStillOwnUSC
Spurticus
sporkgod50
Lonnie
Backup QB competitio (1396)
Blake McClain (1367)
What ever happened t (1256)
2014 Preseason USA T (771)
Ranking the SEC Fema (524)
Clowney's Madden Rat (435)
Ebola Outbreak (358)
2017 - Jaden Hunter (334)
Daily Dose of Food P (303)
2016 - B.J. Emmons (288)
Future Non-Conference Sch
Signee James Thompson arr
Backup QB competition
Shaw Interview: SB Nation
New Reserved Sections for
Away game ticket requests
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Official SEC Network and
2015 - Carlton Davis
2014 Preseason USA Today/

Old 08-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material
Default Gamecock "Homer" radio station

Just curious what your thoughts are on having a gamecock "homer" radio personality here in Columbia. I am aware of the dislike for WCCP on this website and I also realize that we don't have anything like that here in Columbia. In fact, there is a tater show on 560 in the early evening.

Would you be willing to listen to and support a gamecock version of WCCP as long as the guys weren't blind to the obvious like they are at WCCP?

No smack intended in the OP

Are there any gamecock radio shows in the upstate?

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material
Default Re: Gamecock "Homer" radio station

NO. I want media to try and see all sides of a story, and 107.5 does a pretty good job.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
taylorssc
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

Or you could do an entire "homer" lineup like WCCP...

Could backfire though. I remember a couple years back WCCP had Will Merritt on air. It was a gameday broadcast and they were doing a live add for some expensive condo complex on lake Hartwell. Will Merritt jumped in and said, "These condos are great! Jacoby Ford had one here last year.". Obviously nothing happened though.
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
NO. I want media to try and see all sides of a story, and 107.5 does a pretty good job.

^

This !
107.5 could uses some upgrades. The morning show is "dull" and even
though they try really hard to be.... They're not funny. I will give them
credit. They talk about Gamecock Sports and give up to the minute
news on the team. Not like when I used to listen to Teddy Hefner and
heard about 3 minutes of Gamecock News and 48 minutes out
of the hour telling the listeners about "HIS
LIFE" and things he used to do when he was younger. That crap got old
quick.

The noon show now is "so so" I used to be fun to listen to when Duce
Staley was with Jay Phillips, but since he left, it's really gone downhill.

The afternoon show with Heath Cline and Michael Haney is the best of
the lineup. Cline stays balanced, and will give you all perspectives (good
or bad) on any major issue with the Gamecocks, and he does the same
with his personal opinions. Whether you agree with him or not, I like
that kind of person behind a mic, or reporting on the team and Sports
in general. ... If they could find some guys like Heath to be on the
morning and Noon shows, that station would be a perfect Gamecock
Sports radio station.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

I would like to see 107.5 change their hosts for the afternoon spot. I have tried and tried to listen too no avail.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
TS-45 Gamecock
Earning a Scholly

Male

CockyCash: 200
TS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPit

I personally don't like any type of homerism as a basis for doing a show (WCCP). I think it devalues listeners that want to listed to honest constructive evaluation of your favorite team. It think it just aids the kool-aid drinkers and strictly done for ratings. They know they have a base of listeners (the homers) that are loyal and agree word for word what is said. It also inflates the ego of the host (Walt Deptula) because when someone agrees with your every word you gain a sense of supremacy. They know the homers are just going to go out and repeat what is said as a statement of fact.

For us that are not homers we listen, we get pissed, we say they are full of s*it and whatnot. Some even call in, they get made fun of and the homers jump on them. But we listen...and they know it.

This is just entertainment for the homers. They want to be told about sunshine and rainbows. According to WCCP, Clempson has the greatest team in the history of football. Cancel the season now and just give them the BCS trohpy. Everyone else is playing for 2nd.

I don't mind the occasional homer. Gamecock Will comes to mind. Some of the things he says, you can only shake your head at. He is entertaining, silly, and gets the tater all torqued up. But he is a homer. But so is 90% of the callers that call WCCP. The other 10% call in to call bullshit but they get blasted.

So no, I hate it. Homerism is BS from a host. I would not want a Gamecock homer station. I would not be able to handle it for more that a couple of minutes.

I want objectivity, honesty, and integrity.

Sorry for the long post. I have this conversation at work with tater fans all the time concerning WCCP.

TS-45 Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
^

This !
quick.

Sports radio station.
I echo what Spurt just said.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Homers suck.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
purebredcock
Show Me.

Male

purebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via AIM to purebredcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-45 Gamecock View Post
I personally don't like any type of homerism as a basis for doing a show (WCCP). I think it devalues listeners that want to listed to honest constructive evaluation of your favorite team. It think it just aids the kool-aid drinkers and strictly done for ratings. They know they have a base of listeners (the homers) that are loyal and agree word for word what is said. It also inflates the ego of the host (Walt Deptula) because when someone agrees with your every word you gain a sense of supremacy. They know the homers are just going to go out and repeat what is said as a statement of fact.

For us that are not homers we listen, we get pissed, we say they are full of s*it and whatnot. Some even call in, they get made fun of and the homers jump on them. But we listen...and they know it.

This is just entertainment for the homers. They want to be told about sunshine and rainbows. According to WCCP, Clempson has the greatest team in the history of football. Cancel the season now and just give them the BCS trohpy. Everyone else is playing for 2nd.

I don't mind the occasional homer. Gamecock Will comes to mind. Some of the things he says, you can only shake your head at. He is entertaining, silly, and gets the tater all torqued up. But he is a homer. But so is 90% of the callers that call WCCP. The other 10% call in to call bullshit but they get blasted.

So no, I hate it. Homerism is BS from a host. I would not want a Gamecock homer station. I would not be able to handle it for more that a couple of minutes.

Sorry for the long post. I have this conversation at work with tater fans all the time concerning WCCP.
im different, while everything you've said is right I would love yo do a radio show here in spartanburg/Greenville with an unashamed slant for my gamecocks I like listening to deptula even though he bashes my team and coddles Clemson BC I get tired oof fact ONLY based monotone hosted radio shows. Plus not to beat my own chest sometimes I get into sports debates especially with tiger fans and a lot times I can bust em, then there's times they get me and I don't mind taking my lumps. I've long thought an calling in to Walt's show just to start a firestorm with the kitty cats.
#1 debbie downer
purebredcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
TS-45 Gamecock
Earning a Scholly

Male

TS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPitTS-45 Gamecock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by purebredcock View Post
im different, while everything you've said is right I would love yo do a radio show here in spartanburg/Greenville with an unashamed slant for my gamecocks I like listening to deptula even though he bashes my team and coddles Clemson BC I get tired oof fact ONLY based monotone hosted radio shows. Plus not to beat my own chest sometimes I get into sports debates especially with tiger fans and a lot times I can bust em, then there's times they get me and I don't mind taking my lumps. I've long thought an calling in to Walt's show just to start a firestorm with the kitty cats.

You make good points and I am cool with what you said if that is your premise. "Unashamed slant for my gamecocks". I like it.

The problem with Deptula, WCCP, and other programs in gereral is that they present themselves as a none biased sport information show. When if fact they are biased as hell and when you disagree with them, you are the HOMER.

If they say they are unbiased, they are basically trying to establish credibility and credibility tends to be factual.

Call it what it is, Sport entertainment for the homers of the world and i would be cool with it.

TS-45 Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I get enough of the uringe inbred point of view. I would definitely listen to a station that broadcast in the full glow of a garnet sun!

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
^

This !
quick.

Sports radio station.

I would agree with you, Spurt. But Heath Cline seems to spend entirely too much time talking about everything else other than Gamecock sports. A prime example was last week when it was the kick off of Fall practice. I tune in to his show, and he is yapping about Baylor for nearly an hour before he briefly mentions fall practice starting. Meanwhile I read on here that one of the satellite radio shows was airing interviews with players. Why could Heath not do that?

Anyways other than that, I can agree with you. I would like to see at least one show that is pure Gamecock homer. I think it would provide a nice contrast to the afternoon show's impartial take on things.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #13
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

No.
I want a radio station that exclusively covers the Gamecocks...that to me is what being the home means (and you broadcast all the game).

It isn't the radio's job to protect the school.

I want a radio station that tells it like it is...if a player does good, praise.

WCCP is the hight of unprofessionalism, and just grabbing fans off the street (basically what they did) the product suffers.

I actually like Heath Cline on WNKT, he knows his stuff, but actually let's people talk.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #14
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:

It isn't just radio.
most Clemson media, especially on the web, is run by Clemson homers.
Philpott runs CU Tigers...Vandervort is on some site.
Steven Bradley is on orange and white. Ard is Tiger Illustrated. Hood is Tigernet.

All those guys went to Clemson.

The only objective one is Larry Williams on TI, and he went to USC, and I find him very professional.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

I don't mind the objectivity. I don't care about hearing about clemson as much as u do on the flagship station for the gamecocks. Is there a gamecock show on in the upstate?

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #16
purebredcock
Show Me.

Male

purebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talonspurebredcock has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via AIM to purebredcock

Quote:
You make good points and I am cool with what you said if that is your premise. "Unashamed slant for my gamecocks". I like it.

The problem with Deptula, WCCP, and other programs in gereral is that they present themselves as a none biased sport information show. When if fact they are biased as hell and when you disagree with them, you are the HOMER.

If they say they are unbiased, they are basically trying to establish credibility and credibility tends to be factual.

Call it what it is, Sport entertainment for the homers of the world and i would be cool with it.
Man this is so right. Its the reason from to.e to time I get fed up him and turn him off. I don't mind him bashing my team so much, just be honest and don't act as if its expert analysis.
#1 debbie downer
purebredcock is offline   Reply With Quote