CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
IBleedGarnetandBlack
b381l
18IsTheMan
GH
yazoo
garnet_black215
No Curse
ccured
kingofnerf
Confused fan here. (4363)
Is anybody still opt (4009)
Acock's Wrap Up: TAM (2128)
How were the Aggie f (1400)
Will Gameday still c (1033)
Heck of an atmospher (916)
Play for next year (854)
Priority #1: Teach T (801)
Ward's D has a patte (793)
great pic (735)
I hate a thief
Kevin Sumlin Thoughts.
Confused fan here. Why i
Step back from the ledge
2015 Commitment - Shameik
Plugging Holes W/Recruiti
2015 Commitment - Michael
So, Dylan Thompson?
Is anybody still optimist
Heck of an atmosphere

Old 08-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

CockyCash: 200
BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material
Default Room for improvement

I get so conditioned by victory and positive highlight videos that for some reason I suppress our negative plays. Not sure who put this video together but there's a chuckle moment in the middle and it left me hoping that our o-line does a much better job than last year's in helping keep our QBs healthy.
BeatBamaTwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: Room for improvement

yeah our offensive line was pretty bad last year. defenders were running right around them a lot and they just flat out left guys completely unblocked way too often. But the fumbles and coverage sacks are going to happen from time to time. We have to limit them, have to throw the ball away more. We basically left it up the QB to take care of the ball and figure a way to avoid the pressure.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
rolinb1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1310176
rolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot material

^^Agree with the above^^
Well alrighty then..the anti pump video ...yeah that definately makes the bad plays look bad...and shows the lack of focus against LSU and Florida and a few other random bad plays thrown in. But you could do that to any team out there if you wanted to..
Old 08-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
SWAGGGA
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1200
SWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudly

A lot of those wouldn't have happened if the ball woulda been out of Shaw's hand. I think our oline got a lot of bad rep last year. But a lot, not all but a lot of the problem was our QBs holding on to the ball to long.

I remember the vandy game a guy there was texting me and was like "dude our guys are running wide open but shaw won't throw the ball"
SWAGGGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

We had 3 first year starters on our OL last season with a hurt QB, I expect a big improvement this season, especially in our run blocking. Shaw struggled last season with taking his steps and throwing the ball, and it may have been due to his shoulder. Spurrier is always telling the media he wants Shaw to take his steps and throw the ball. The biggest things for the OL are experience, continuity and depth, and we finally have more of each this season.
JDRAY^# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAGGGA View Post
A lot of those wouldn't have happened if the ball woulda been out of Shaw's hand. I think our oline got a lot of bad rep last year. But a lot, not all but a lot of the problem was our QBs holding on to the ball to long.

I remember the vandy game a guy there was texting me and was like "dude our guys are running wide open but shaw won't throw the ball"
That happened in a lot of games last year. Shaw has a lot of work to do.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
SWAGGGA
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1200
SWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudlySWAGGGA is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
That happened in a lot of games last year. Shaw has a lot of work to do.
Well really all he has to do is get rid of it quicker. Something spurrier preaches. He doesn't have the arm to fit passes into tight holes. (Lol) but he doesn't try to anyways. He makes the safe throws. The int he threw at vandy actually his first throw of the season. Before he got hurt was a duck and picked off. But like I said he doesn't force throws much anyways.

So as long as he pulls the trigger he should put up big numbers. Look at Thompson he doesn't have a cannon. He's got a nice arm. But it's not a cannon. And he just drops back and throws. Throws the ball to a spot.
SWAGGGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
doccock
Super Doc

Male

doccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPit

I agree with the comment about holding the ball too long. It drove me nuts all year. And yet in spite of that and a bunch of other bonehead plays we won 11 games. If we could just cut those bonehead plays in half we might be in the BCS MNC.
doc
Old 08-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAGGGA View Post
Well really all he has to do is get rid of it quicker. Something spurrier preaches. He doesn't have the arm to fit passes into tight holes. (Lol) but he doesn't try to anyways. He makes the safe throws. The int he threw at vandy actually his first throw of the season. Before he got hurt was a duck and picked off. But like I said he doesn't force throws much anyways.

So as long as he pulls the trigger he should put up big numbers. Look at Thompson he doesn't have a cannon. He's got a nice arm. But it's not a cannon. And he just drops back and throws. Throws the ball to a spot.
Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple. To get the ball out, he has to read the defense, stay poised, and go through his progressions properly and quickly. Shaw is a 1 read and dump or run QB mostly... At least thus far. Just watch his head when he drops back.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #10
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

CockyCash: 200
BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material

What is the rule for when it's intentional grounding? Looking at some of these plays, is it ok just to turn and throw the ball out of bounds when running to the right or left even if there's no receiver anywhere in the vicinity. Coach used to really get onto Garcia about holding the ball too long. I'd much rather Connor throw it away an entire second early than getting hammered like he did on that video's final play. The body can only take sooooooo much.
BeatBamaTwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #11
Take-a-Knee
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

I guess our opponents work hard too

GO GAMECOCKS !!!
Take-a-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #12
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

If our OL doesn't show major improvement this year, then it's on Elliott.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:09 AM   #13
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

His top comment is "Coots can't take a joke," that means this is most likely a Clemmy or UGA fan. This is a man who, therefore, has no damn room to talk.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:10 AM   #14
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolinb1 View Post
^^Agree with the above^^
Well alrighty then..the anti pump video ...yeah that definately makes the bad plays look bad...and shows the lack of focus against LSU and Florida and a few other random bad plays thrown in. But you could do that to any team out there if you wanted to..
Yeah, with any team, like the last three quarters Clemson played against us.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:20 AM   #15
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

I remember last year vs Kentucky when Brian Jerideau sacked their QB by nearly driving the QB's feet into the ground like he was planting a fence post.

It happens to everyone. The SEC has ferocious D lines.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #16
Gamecock303
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 95200
Gamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple. To get the ball out, he has to read the defense, stay poised, and go through his progressions properly and quickly. Shaw is a 1 read and dump or run QB mostly... At least thus far. Just watch his head when he drops back.
Connor was better about actually going through his progressions (still not great but better) last year than he was the year before...but he still has a ton of work to do.

plus he gets happy feet sometimes, running out of the pocket instead of moving up in it (when there is room) and continuing to make go through his reads. I would imagine that also makes it harder for the oline to block for him considering they never really know where he is.
Gamecock303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
vibesmoother
Throwin F-Bombs in 506

Male

vibesmoother is making other chickens nervousvibesmoother is making other chickens nervousvibesmoother is making other chickens nervousvibesmoother is making other chickens nervousvibesmoother is making other chickens nervousvibesmoother is making other chickens nervousvibesmoother is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatBamaTwice View Post

I get so conditioned by victory and positive highlight videos that for some reason I suppress our negative plays.
I do the opposite at times which is why I like the pump up vids.

It's cool. I get the joke and it's amusing.

Long time SC fans have generally been a pessimistic (albeit loyal) lot, so the positive stuff really makes me get out of that kind of funk.

When speculating about the upcoming season I think more in terms of "we can't repeat what happened at LSU or UF this year" as opposed to "let's do what we did to UGA or Clemson." Just my take.
vibesmoother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #18
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

I think I got the comments disabled on this video, lol.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #19
vibesmoother
Throwin F-Bombs in 506

Male

vibesmoother is making other chickens nervousvibesmoother is making other chickens nervousvibesmoother is making other chickens nervousvibesmoother is making other chickens nervousvibesmoother is making other chickens nervousvibesmoother is making other chickens nervousvibesmoother is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMorrisonLives View Post
I think I got the comments disabled on this video, lol.
Just curious, what did you do?
vibesmoother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #20
rolinb1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1310176
rolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot material

This is another of his videos...
He has both Cocky and the tigger there
Cocky at around the 2 min. mark