CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
WeStillOwnUSC
Ole Gregg
CockyCody
G&B
Regalcock
johnnyb
b381l
kingoftheroost
trapper82
infinite1
Spurrier: Davis May (6291)
Devonte Holloman Ret (1828)
an apology (1229)
First "Carolina (1100)
Our players and the (967)
Article on Shaw & (832)
Aggie looking forwar (813)
JD & DJ Getting (807)
Cockaboose Owners (807)
I'm thinking we're g (574)
texags
Connor Shaw Browns
Lattimore Tidbit
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
Devonte Holloman Retiring
First "Carolina Call
***2014 Carolina Panthers
and the #1 2014 acc must
2015 - Eurndraus Bryant
Watch ESPN app on Xbox On

Old 08-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
carolinafanusc
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
carolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his comb
Default This Year Or Never

I'm not gonna mention the message board where I just read this silly post. But a guy on there posted that he felt like if we didn't win the SEC this year, we would probably never win it. What!!! Spurrier has us rolling and built for the long haul, just look at our recruiting for this class and especially next years. The sad thing is that a couple people agreed with him. I tell ya, if I felt that way about my team, I would find someone else to pull for.
carolinafanusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly
Default Re: This Year Or Never

We have 4 seniors this year. Count that, 4. Even if we lose Clowney and Hampton to the draft, that still almost our entire 2 deep roster. Those guys will come in 2014 with a lot of experience and DT should be the QB 100% of the time.

I think we should be a top 10 contender for awhile
SirBigSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
carolinafanusc
Recruit

Male

carolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBigSpur View Post
We have 4 seniors this year. Count that, 4. Even if we lose Clowney and Hampton to the draft, that still almost our entire 2 deep roster. Those guys will come in 2014 with a lot of experience and DT should be the QB 100% of the time.

I think we should be a top 10 contender for awhile
I agree, I don't see this team dropping off anytime soon.
carolinafanusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 221039
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

2 or 3 years into a 8 to 10 year run IMO

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #5
sharpstick
4-Star

Male

sharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talonssharpstick has developed his gaff and talons

We're set for the next couple years, just need to take one year at as time.
sharpstick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #6
Pty23
Blue Chip

Male

Pty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudly

I think the ability of 2 new DE to step up will be key to our probability of success next year. On the other hand, I think some of that pressure will be taken off by our extremely talented LB corps having a solid year of experience under their belts. Anywho, I'm just too excited about THIS year to worry about it too much.
Pty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #7
thecarolina1
Sarcastic Cynical S.O.B.

Male

CockyCash: 200
thecarolina1 is USC mascot materialthecarolina1 is USC mascot materialthecarolina1 is USC mascot materialthecarolina1 is USC mascot materialthecarolina1 is USC mascot materialthecarolina1 is USC mascot materialthecarolina1 is USC mascot materialthecarolina1 is USC mascot materialthecarolina1 is USC mascot materialthecarolina1 is USC mascot materialthecarolina1 is USC mascot material

I've been around for a long time...just gonna enjoy the ride!!
Old 08-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
BleedsGarnet
4-Star

Male

BleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spurs

We'll lose a few Juniors this year as well, especially if we have a great season.
BleedsGarnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:43 AM   #9
uscandy
4-Star

Male

uscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his claws

Old Carolina thinking again! Feel sorry for some of our fans, they just can't get past it.
uscandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:28 AM   #10
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Never is a long time, but it seems like this year is our best chance ever. It's certainly not going to get any easier, especially when Spurrier finally hangs it up. That can't be too far away now.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:30 AM   #11
uscandy
4-Star

Male

uscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his claws

Why does everyone think we'll struggle when Spurrier retires? This is now an attractive job, and I have no doubt we should be able to find a quality coach. Come on people! I just don't understand our fans! So pessimistic about everything!
uscandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #12
willyo
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 340
willyo has feathers coming inwillyo has feathers coming in

I disagree that of we don't win it this year that we never will. That said, I believe this is our year to take it. The only thing that's kept us out has been ONE game that we lose to keep us out in past years... Our schedule is not as hard as years past and it is ours for the takin.
Go cocks
willyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:36 AM   #13
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

CockyCash: 0
BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material

Right now I suspect that Connor's performance Saturday has made day dreams about skydiving a tad less frequent. Hopefully hearing HBC's post scrimmage comments has his brain turning the motivation jets to full throttle knowing that staff feels like most here, that another Florida type performance cannot occur, that this team will play its best and should.

But I agree wholeheartedly with this thread, that we are the new Carolina and resemble nothing of our past. What I've always found amazing is how Georgia fans seem to want to fire their coach each time they start the season with a couple of losses and, by year's end, not so much. Go Cocks!
BeatBamaTwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:54 AM   #14
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscandy View Post
Why does everyone think we'll struggle when Spurrier retires? This is now an attractive job, and I have no doubt we should be able to find a quality coach. Come on people! I just don't understand our fans! So pessimistic about everything!
Every year is a struggle in the SEC. Even if the job is attractive but so is every other SEC job. Whoever replaces him is not likely to be as good as Spurrier. We need to win a championship if what SOS has done here is going to stick for a long time. I doubt we would just drop off the face of the earth and not be competitive right after he leaves, but the question is "will we ever win a Championship if not this year? And what about after Spurrier?" Who knows? Spurrier's rep is our main draw right now. I'm not saying "never" but it is certainly going to be rough if he leaves without a championship legacy draw recruits here.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:19 AM   #15
Red Devil
Two Deep

Male

Red Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spursRed Devil has earned his spurs

I just wish the injury bug would leave us alone, especially at LB.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #16
GamecockRocker
Cynical Optimist

Male

GamecockRocker is USC mascot materialGamecockRocker is USC mascot materialGamecockRocker is USC mascot materialGamecockRocker is USC mascot materialGamecockRocker is USC mascot materialGamecockRocker is USC mascot materialGamecockRocker is USC mascot materialGamecockRocker is USC mascot materialGamecockRocker is USC mascot materialGamecockRocker is USC mascot materialGamecockRocker is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscandy View Post

Why? Think of it this way. If you could replace Spurrier today with any other coach out there is there one you can think of you'd rather have running our program?

I know the only coach I can think of that I wouldn't consider a big step down would be Saban and he isn't budging from Bama. Yes we can find a quality coach, but Spurrier isn't quality. He's an elite coach.

Remember the word in the coaching community when Spurrier took the job was "You can't win it all at SC". Should we get another few years down the road without an SEC title at least then the word will be back with a vengeance. Even Spurrier couldn't do it.

A pessimist is what an optimist calls a realist. I don't believe the "This year or never" theory but I do believe "The next 3-4 years or not for a long time"
Old 08-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #17
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

This year is critical IMO. Everything has lined up for us just the way we've been hoping.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #18
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

This team is built for sustainability so I think we will have success for years to come. Spurrier, all the coaches, and the administration have done a phenomenal job turning the football program in the right direction. The biggest thing will be replacing Spurrier when he eventually calls it quits.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #19
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Wouldn't say never but this is he best shot we've ever had to win it all. We lose to much after this year but there's no reason we shouldn't continue to challenge for the east. Need some breaks here or there but it can be done.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #20
Mr. Wednesday
Banned

Male

Mr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudly

people have been saying "if not this year, then never" for the past 3-4 years.

the funny thing is, it tends to be the same people saying this. i guess they're too stupid to realize they're hurting their own argument, year after year.
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote