CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
snruter amabon
Spur's Addiction
HeadCockFan
Order 66
catdaddy66
GarnetSwarm1990
roosterdude21
TAFC 5 1981
GarnetBlack&Blue
TheUSCMike
Can it get any bette (972)
Haven't seen one unb (888)
Funny Golf Story Abo (831)
Auburn Stealing Sign (822)
Defense Tackles (716)
I used to like bush (564)
Boo This Man... (548)
georgia rewind... (482)
Gamecocks Traveling (306)
SEC East vs. SEC Wes (263)
Mizzou game late parking/
Places to watch Carolina
Haven't seen one unbeatab
Boo This Man...
Stay focus
Auburn looks beatable
Auburn Stealing Signals?
**official Vandy predicti
georgia rewind...
Well, as it turns out, we

Old 08-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
ATL COCK 31
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
ATL COCK 31 is developing his combATL COCK 31 is developing his combATL COCK 31 is developing his combATL COCK 31 is developing his combATL COCK 31 is developing his combATL COCK 31 is developing his combATL COCK 31 is developing his combATL COCK 31 is developing his comb
Default CBS giving us lots of respect (Sarcasm)

check out where Feldman has us and where he has Clemson.
I love how the media gets amnesia every preseason.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...eseason-top-25

ATL COCK 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material
Default Re: CBS giving us lots of respect (Sarcasm)

Prob could mess with the formatting and get it right.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
boowilliam4
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
boowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryarx View Post
Prob could mess with the formatting and get it right.

"Expert" predictions.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL COCK 31 View Post
check out where Feldman has us and where he has Clemson.
I love how the media gets amnesia every preseason.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...eseason-top-25
Opinion's are like @$$holes....

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
JDStud6
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

Our rankings range from 5 to 13....I'd say it's about right. I hope it's closer to 5 than 13, but only time will tell. Why do some of you guys get so worked up about preseason rankings??

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

So Clemson will roll over the ACC, with a minor challenge only from FSU. They should, but they will miss Hopkins, Ellington, the TE (Ford, I think), and their center more than many suppose. Wading through the SEC should be the usual bloodbath, and Ohio State will ride their usual easy schedule down to the wire. Weeks 1 and 2 will tell a lot of the story for us and Clemson. After that, we have plenty of work to do while they mainly have to worry about us. The schedules seem to affect ranking nearly as much as the team's quality and depth.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
NJGCfan
5* Recruit

Male

NJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talons

Clemson has 3 tough games on their schedule and they will probably lose each one
Old 08-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

preseason predictions are worthless... ive never understood while people get so worked up about media people making selections...it doesn't mean a thing .... plus we are getting plenty of respect and air time... in fact imo to much
Old 08-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

Spurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudly

Preseason rankings are generally worthless in terms of assessing a team's quality, but I wouldn't say they're totally without use. The higher you start off in the polls, the harder it is for you to slip much farther than a couple spots unless you just totally screw up. Our preseason rankings of late have certainly helped us keep our place in the polls.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Preseason rankings are generally worthless in terms of assessing a team's quality, but I wouldn't say they're totally without use. The higher you start off in the polls, the harder it is for you to slip much farther than a couple spots unless you just totally screw up. Our preseason rankings of late have certainly helped us keep our place in the polls.
Polls, yes; pundits' minds, Nah. Starting higher in the polls does have the advantage you pointed out.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
JDStud6
Starter

Male

JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

Look at So Cal last year and Auburn in 2010....their preseason rankings meant nothing

JD
Old 08-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #12
ATL COCK 31
Recruit

Male

ATL COCK 31 is developing his combATL COCK 31 is developing his combATL COCK 31 is developing his combATL COCK 31 is developing his combATL COCK 31 is developing his combATL COCK 31 is developing his combATL COCK 31 is developing his combATL COCK 31 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDStud6 View Post
Our rankings range from 5 to 13....I'd say it's about right. I hope it's closer to 5 than 13, but only time will tell. Why do some of you guys get so worked up about preseason rankings??

JD
not worked up about it.... just something to talk about while counting down the days to kickoff.

ATL COCK 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Who's the skinny 7th grader at the right hand side of the group?
Old 08-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 4024
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

It looks like the Hinnen guy might be the closest to what I think, although I might flip Louisville with maybe Stanford or uga. There's no doubt that schedules are playing a big part of this.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #15
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Look at So Cal last year and Auburn in 2010....their preseason rankings meant nothing

JD
Yea but then look at Auburn 2004.

Preseason Poll was pretty significant there.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #16
JDStud6
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
Yea but then look at Auburn 2004.

Preseason Poll was pretty significant there.
There were 3 teams without a loss that year. And the 1 team loss that made it to the championship game had a much tougher schedule than the others. It's just like when TCU or Boise State go undefeated in a year and a 1 loss SEC team jumps ahead of them. You can't say Auburn didn't go to the big game just because they started lower than the others.

JD
Old 08-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #17
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
There were 3 teams without a loss that year. And the 1 team loss that made it to the championship game had a much tougher schedule than the others. It's just like when TCU or Boise State go undefeated in a year and a 1 loss SEC team jumps ahead of them. You can't say Auburn didn't go to the big game just because they started lower than the others.

JD
USC and OU were #1 and 2 to start the season.
Auburn started the season 17 in the AP and 18 in the coaches. (AP was used by the BCS that year)

One could say that the reason they never jumped to 1 or 2 is because they started too low.
Even if they played more ranked teams than both OU and USC.

Now of course these aren't preseason polls, they're sports writer's predictions.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian

Last edited by I Bleed Garnet; 08-12-2013 at 09:57 PM.
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #18
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

It doesn't matter what the hell we are ranked during the preseason as long as we take care of business on the field.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #19
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Ehh, whatever. I thought it was pretty funny when Tony Barnhart (I think) on the CBS football spectacular show predicted Clemson and Ohio State in the BCS CG.
If Clemson beats UGA and us, of course, they should be, but they won't. They won't beat us or UGA. Don't they know that sometime during the season when Clemson's receiving all the hype, they pull a Clemson?! Ohio State won't go undefeated again this year either.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #20
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Oh look, another thread so people can cry about not being picked to win everything.