CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
3MTA3
JerseyBird
GarnetSwarm1990
rosstheboss
spareparts
Spurticus
MWard
ertman420
usc90grad
Cunningham wants to (1207)
ESPN article on Clow (863)
Clemson Georgia Game (702)
New Led Zep releases (158)
Dodge NY Auto Show N (157)
Truly Inspiring (156)
2014 garnet and blac (100)
Chick Redefines the (80)
The Bama series (39)
2 tickets for USC vs (12)
SEC Network "Take It
PS4 headset advice
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
Spread vs. aTm
Mangus now coaching TEs
The Bama series
Acock reviews the SEC Net
Tennessee hires Donnie Ty
Clemson Georgia Game to b
ESPN article on Clowney -

Old 08-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
copperbeech69
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 349
copperbeech69 has hatched from the shell
Default Why are people saying if not now then never?

Not just specifically cockytalk but gamecock central and the big spur have had multiple threads saying that if we don't win it all this year then we never will... I think the exact opposite! Our recruiting class for next year will be top 25 and for 2015 we are already top 3 which is freaking awesome! With our success and how we are rising as a program only makes is more marketable for recruits for years to come. Do you guy believe that if not this year then never?
copperbeech69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material
Default Re: Why are people say if not now then never?

It gets a whole lot harder to win after this year with the "playoffs."

Think about it.. We've never won the SEC Championship, and this year if we do accomplish that feat, we most likely find ourselves playing for a national championship. Next season, however, if we do win the SEC Championship, we then have to play another top 4 team just for a shot at playing for a national championship.

My view is that it won't be impossible after this season, just a heck of a lot harder.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 31828
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material
Default Re: Why are people saying if not now then never?

whoa....deja vu
Old 08-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
whoa....deja vu
All over again?
Old 08-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Because we won't get an easier schedule.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Because we won't get an easier schedule.
Or a JD Clowney.

Actually nobody will get a JD in this lifetime.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
SuperCockMaster
4-Star

Male

SuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
Or a JD Clowney.

Actually nobody will get a JD in this lifetime.
They always say that, then another comes along. They said it about Julius Peppers. They said it about Michael Johnson. Etc. Etc. Etc.

There will always be a player who wins the genetic lottery.

Not saying Clowney isn't a freak and one of the best ever even before this season. Just saying your comment makes little sense and reeks of homerism.
SuperCockMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCockMaster View Post
They always say that, then another comes along. They said it about Julius Peppers. They said it about Michael Johnson. Etc. Etc. Etc.

There will always be a player who wins the genetic lottery.

Not saying Clowney isn't a freak and one of the best ever even before this season. Just saying your comment makes little sense and reeks of homerism.
There hasn't been another MJ
Old 08-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
BuCockyfan
Two Deep

Male

BuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperbeech69 View Post
Not just specifically cockytalk but gamecock central and the big spur have had multiple threads saying that if we don't win it all this year then we never will... I think the exact opposite! Our recruiting class for next year will be top 25 and for 2015 we are already top 3 which is freaking awesome! With our success and how we are rising as a program only makes is more marketable for recruits for years to come. Do you guy believe that if not this year then never?
A. A stronger Eastern Division. Tennessee is recruiting lights out right now, and looks to be on an upswing after years of mediocrity. Florida is on an upswing again after an 11 win season. They will have a top 5 class as usual. Kentucky, seems to be trending upward, with a new coach, solid class etc. Georgia is well, Georgia. But the East for the past several seasons has been down.

B. Easy schedule this year with LSU, Bama and Texas AM off of it. After this year, we have to beat one of those teams in the reg season as well as the SEC Championship game.

C. Shaw graduating and Clowney leaving. We are losing the keys to a recruiting run that paid dividends for the past couple of years. Going to be insanely hard to replace those leaders.
BuCockyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperbeech69 View Post
They are saying that because this has been our best shot to date. It isn't true of course, we could win in 2015, 2025, 2125, who really knows. It is just a projection based on the fact that when you factor in the variables this season is our best chance to win it all.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuCockyfan View Post
A. A stronger Eastern Division. Tennessee is recruiting lights out right now, and looks to be on an upswing after years of mediocrity. Florida is on an upswing again after an 11 win season. They will have a top 5 class as usual. Kentucky, seems to be trending upward, with a new coach, solid class etc. Georgia is well, Georgia. But the East for the past several seasons has been down.

B. Easy schedule this year with LSU, Bama and Texas AM off of it. After this year, we have to beat one of those teams in the reg season as well as the SEC Championship game.

C. Shaw graduating and Clowney leaving. We are losing the keys to a recruiting run that paid dividends for the past couple of years. Going to be insanely hard to replace those leaders.
A. Win anyway, the West has gotten tougher too, no one is expecting Bama to lose more. We are set up for the long haul given one or two dominos falling.

B. Easier schedule is hard to argue. Traditionally though we have lost a game we should have won. Let's see if that streak ends.

C. I think our recruiting is still doing well, we will reload.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #12
BlakelyH19
4-Star

Male

BlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
There hasn't been another MJ
A lot of people would argue that lebron is but I really don't think so.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #13
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakelyH19 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEfKH4PuA94
Old 08-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #14
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

Quote:
I don't think Lebron is better than Michael Johnson

GoCCUChants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #15
BlakelyH19
4-Star

Male

BlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCCUChants View Post
I don't think Lebron is better than Michael Johnson

...I was referring to Lebron better than Jordan. I do believe Usain Bolt is better than Michael Johnson. If Bolt decides to train for the 4oom i think he will break the record. I hope he never breaks it tho
Old 08-14-2013, 12:02 AM   #16
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

Quote:
...I was referring to Lebron better than Jordan. I do believe Usain Bolt is better than Michael Johnson. If Bolt decides to train for the 4oom i think he will break the record. I hope he never breaks it tho
I know you were, but if you scroll up, you'll see the Michael Johnson reference. I agree though about Bolt. He'll break it if he goes up.
GoCCUChants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:26 AM   #17
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: Why are people say if not now then never?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClowney View Post
It gets a whole lot harder to win after this year with the "playoffs."

Think about it.. We've never won the SEC Championship, and this year if we do accomplish that feat, we most likely find ourselves playing for a national championship. Next season, however, if we do win the SEC Championship, we then have to play another top 4 team just for a shot at playing for a national championship.

My view is that it won't be impossible after this season, just a heck of a lot harder.
Does the playoffs make it harder? I don't know about that. Maybe you have to win more game to win it, but at least you have a better chance of being in it after the regular season conference championship games.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #18
uscandy
4-Star

Male

uscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his clawsuscandy is sharpening his claws

Because we have too many that still have the old Carolina mentality and its rather ridiculous. It's almost like some are scared of success. Some of our fans need an attitude adjustment. Too many chicken littles and sky is falling types. People don't want to believe we're now here to stay. They're scared to death that when Spurrier leaves we'll just return to mediocrity, as if we won't ever be able to get a quality coach again. I just shake my head at our fans sometimes.
uscandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:01 AM   #19
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscandy View Post
Because we have too many that still have the old Carolina mentality and its rather ridiculous. It's almost like some are scared of success. Some of our fans need an attitude adjustment. Too many chicken littles and sky is falling types. People don't want to believe we're now here to stay. They're scared to death that when Spurrier leaves we'll just return to mediocrity, as if we won't ever be able to get a quality coach again. I just shake my head at our fans sometimes.
This may end up being a long post, so....sorry?
Some people are glass half-full types, some are glass half-empty types. Neither is more right than the other and each has their reasoning for their thinking. I find myself to be more of a glass half-full type (positive about the future) but I also tend to have a more levelheaded approach to my thinking. Sometimes this approach gets me called a "realist" which I am fine with. I'm not a person who where's "Garnet glasses" or drinks the "Garnet Kool-Aid". I very much like and appreciate the general thoughts but some people get carried away with their glass half-full thoughts. It's when people start acting like nothing bad can ever happen, or upsets never happen that I get annoyed - or when people start treating players (who have performed well) like they are the best thing to be apart of Carolina football.

I tend to just want to say "Lets not get carried away" but that doesn't get the job done so sometimes I have to be the "negative nancy" to put things back into perspective. Does that get me a lot of enemies? Sure - some people/users generally don't like or appreciate my post but I feel like they are true so I have no problem posting them.

I also believe that users on this site get so offended when people do no agree with their opinion. This ranges from other users, to bloggers, to National Analyst, to even the common-place side-job author who writes on the side for fun. They get so insulted, which infuriates them. Someone says we (USC) might lose to Tennessee, here comes a post about how the guy that said it is a moron! Yep, he's a moron for having an opinion that's different than yours. Forget his reasoning that might be completely logical. Let's not look at that. You can substitute any team in for Tennessee and it's the same thing.

I've seen it go down and I've seen the insults fly my way when I question why they think <enter author, blogger, analyst, user here> is wrong. Oh you agree? No, most of the time I don't agree, but they have valid points so it's not like you can call them a moron and end the discussion. That is what this place is for after all - to discuss life in general but mostly Gamecock Sports.

But back to your point: What's wrong with the older fans? With age comes wisdom. I don't really believe that because I've met some old dumb ****s. But the older fans have seen hyped teams fail or fall on their face. They've seen upsets that should've never happened. They've seen way more failure than they have success. So yes, while our time is now and will only continue to grow from the time being, you can't really question their doubt. They won't believe until it actually happens. To be honest, even though I said I was a "glass half-full" guy, I actually happen to agree with them.

There is a lot of good going on with Carolina football right now, and I've never been more proud to call myself a Carolina fan. Growing up I didn't care about South Carolina - I just always hated Clemson. I really didn't even want to go to South Carolina. I applied to about 25 schools and got into a lot of them, but decided to stay close to home and went to USC. That's when I really started being a fan. I've been a fan now for 7 years and it's been a pretty good stretch. Probably the best 7 year stretch in Carolina football history. Something I've learned a lot about and even researched to really get to know the ins and outs of the program. I remember watching the games when I was younger, just not caring who won - and now I get pissed when things go wrong. However, with every up there is to say about this program and this season - there are plenty of things that can go wrong, and plenty of reasons to worry.

Some of the best things to look forward too:

-Favorable Schedule
-A dominating Defensive Line
-A decent secondary
-A great coach
-Two Good QB's
-A good RB duo
-Promising OL

Some of the biggest worries about the season:

-Inconsistent (by stats) play from Connor Shaw on the road
-Young LB's
-Untested LB's
-LB Depth
-DB Depth
-Road games @ Arkansas, @ Tennessee, and @ Missouri
-The fact that everyone isn't worried about Missouri at all

Now I imagine some one that actually reads this entire post will look at some of those "worries" I mentioned and want to immediately call me an idiot. But I would gladly explain why I said any of those.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:29 AM   #20
carolinafanusc
Recruit

Male

carolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscandy View Post
Bingo! It's hilarious how fans will get on here and cry because some talking head says we are a one man team and that after JD leaves we will slip back into mediocrity, then come on here and basically repeat the same garbage. I got news for you, if we win the SEC it won't be because of JD, sure he helps but you don't win the best conference in America because of a Defensive End. QB sure, but not a DE. Look at what we are building here people, we aren't the Florida Marlins, built for a one or two year run and then the band breaks up. Give me all the reasons you wan't for why we won't continue on this successful run and I will match it with a reason why we will.
carolinafanusc is offline   Reply With Quote