CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
NAGamecockFan
johnnyb
taylorssc
Lonnie
Gamecocks321
doubledribble
GarnetSwarm1990
QCB
gadeneer1986
So Disappointed With (2495)
Rank the QBs under S (1741)
Back like cooked cra (1368)
Tennessee game (944)
Who start on the d l (700)
No Comments on the H (695)
Google finally gets (471)
lack of production= (377)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (222)
Gameday parking in A (157)
Texas athletic director:
Tennessee game
Back like cooked crack
Rank the QBs under Spurri
No Comments on the Holes?
Call of Duty: Advanced Wa
Why I think we beat Aubur
SEC Debate: Best candidat
So Disappointed With The
Which loss hurt worse, Mi

Old 08-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
JBL
3rd and long

Male

CockyCash: 500
JBL has hatched from the shell
Default Week 1: What to Expect

Our defense better be ready because Fedora is going to throw the kitchen sink at us. I understand they lost a lot of players to the draft and injury, but Fedora will find a way to score and score again. Hopefully we don't have trouble finding the end zone and we are able to slow down there attack after half-time adjustments by the coaching staff.

Statistically, unCarolina finished eighth in the country in scoring, averaging a school-record 40.6 points per game. The Tar Heels scored 30 or more points in nine of 12 games, and twice posted more than 60 points, including a school-record 66 against Idaho. unCarolina was 14th in the nation in total offense, averaging a school-record 485.6 yards per game. It marked the fifth consecutive year as a head coach that Fedora’s offense has gained more than 5,000 total yards.
The Tar Heels also excelled on special teams, finishing 10th in net punting and 10th in punt return average. Bernard was second nationally in punt returns and fourth as an all-purpose runner.

My early prediction is we are down at halftime and rally to win the game.

38-31 Gamecocks

Last edited by JBL; 08-14-2013 at 09:32 AM.
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material
Default Re: Week 1: What to Expect

I'm more than a little concerned over the fact that their QB had SUCH a great TD to INT ratio last season and this will be his second season under Fedora's system. I know that those stats were ran up against cake opponents, but a system is a system. We've got questions in our secondary and our kicking team in general is pretty suspect.

I don't know about being down at halftime - although it could certainly happen if we come in flat or they come in inspired (which is likely)...

I am nervous about this game since we'll all be looking ahead to the Georgia game...but for some reason I think that we'll win this one. We may not cover the spread, but I see a relatively convincing win...although it may not appear that way on the scoreboard.

Hopefully our defense is tough and our offense is improved enough. Our last two teams were consistent, yet kind of colorless...and I kind of expect this one to be similar. I'll take that as long as we continue to win...

UNC doesn't play defense (who in the ACC does) so I see maybe something like a 31-24 game in favor of USC.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
JBL
3rd and long

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmike View Post
I'm more than a little concerned over the fact that their QB had SUCH a great TD to INT ratio last season and this will be his second season under Fedora's system. I know that those stats were ran up against cake opponents, but a system is a system. We've got questions in our secondary and our kicking team in general is pretty suspect.

I don't know about being down at halftime - although it could certainly happen if we come in flat or they come in inspired (which is likely)...

I am nervous about this game since we'll all be looking ahead to the Georgia game...but for some reason I think that we'll win this one. We may not cover the spread, but I see a relatively convincing win...although it may not appear that way on the scoreboard.

Hopefully our defense is tough and our offense is improved enough. Our last two teams were consistent, yet kind of colorless...and I kind of expect this one to be similar. I'll take that as long as we continue to win...

UNC doesn't play defense (who in the ACC does) so I see maybe something like a 31-24 game in favor of USC.
I just can't see them not scoring at least three td's. Maybe we can really tear them apart and slow down their attack. I guess we will want to win the TOP and keep them off the field as much as possible. I look for us to run, run, run. I like your prediction over mine. Our secondary better be ready or it could be a nervous environment in W-B.

BTW, they did obliterate the Hokies last year. I think they hung 60 on 'em.: Edit

Fedora’s first season in Chapel Hill was highlighted by a 6-1 mark at home, including a thrilling 43-35 victory over NC State and a 48-34 win against Virginia Tech. Giovani Bernard’s 74-yard punt return in the final seconds of the NC State game ended Carolina’s five-game losing skid to its nearby rival and set off a wild celebration on the UNC sidelines. The Virginia Tech game saw Carolina rush for 339 yards, the most since 2004, as the Tar Heels posted 533 total yards of offense. It was also the most points the Hokies had allowed in a game since joining the ACC

Last edited by JBL; 08-14-2013 at 09:15 AM. Reason: correction
Old 08-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

We typically come out fat and happy the first game, so don't be surprised if our performance is lackluster during the 1st half. Having said that, I think we put down the headlines and win the game 28-21.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL View Post
Statistically, Carolina finished eighth in the country in scoring, averaging a school-record 40.6 points per game. The Tar Heels scored 30 or more points in nine of 12 games...
So UNC is now "Carolina"? Bogus thread.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Yea, I read that and was like "no way we averaged over 40 a game!" Took me a minute to figure it out.

I expect us to come out conservative on offense, and aggressive on defense. If that gets us the lead we'll continue to be conservative. Spurrier doesn't like to tip his hand early in the season. Show as little as we can against UNC, save some for UGA.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
JBL
3rd and long

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
fixed it. it wasn't on purpose fella, i didn't notice it.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
JTsecSC
Jon Gruden's lovechild

Male

JTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervous

38-24 Gamecocks.

4th quarter: Fedora is taking notes on HBC's flow.
JTsecSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

I expect a similar gameplan we have used against Clemson.
Run it, control the clock, keep their offense off the field and win it ugly.

Also, expect Eric Ebron to have a big day going against our young LBs.

UNC puts up some yards, but can't get in the endzone.
Also, I think all three RBs play (Davis, Wilds, Carson) and we rush for about 250 yards total.

Score will be close, but stats will show USC dominat time of possession and running game.

28-17 USC
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Double post...my bad.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

We are at home, they have inexperienced guys in the 2 deep, and I think this team is going to approach things a little different this year. We have not opened at home in a few years if I recall, last year was at Vanderbilt, and the year before was in Charlotte vs. ECU if I recall.

So my point is I think this will be a totally different opener. The last home opener we had was in 2010, and we beat Southern Miss 41-13. I expect the same type of thing here:

USC - 49
UNC - 17

Last edited by trapper82; 08-14-2013 at 10:21 AM.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

UNC's defense has more holes in it than a slice of Swiss cheese.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #13
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Lol we are going to punish UNC. 38-17 Cocks.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #14
JBL
3rd and long

Male

Hope we blow them out of the water, but I'll have to see it before I believe it.

Maybe we will start off strong for a change and hit some long pass plays, dictating the outcome of the game early on.

Some of you are right, we should win by 28+ points on talent alone, it's just Fedora's O that concerns me.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #15
salvacock
Walk On

Male

salvacock has hatched from the shell

UNC may make a couple of quick scores, maybe a TD and a FG and then we make adjustments and shut them down pretty much the rest of the game. A 41-17 final score.
salvacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #16
BlueEagles06
Two Deep

Male

BlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPit

Last home opener, we crushed a Fedora led Southern Miss team and shut down their "high powered" offense. Spurrier has seen Fedora before and taken him down with ease. I fully expect the same thing.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #17
Mr. Wednesday
Banned

Male

Mr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL View Post
Our defense better be ready because Fedora is going to throw the kitchen sink at us. I understand they lost a lot of players to the draft and injury, but Fedora will find a way to score and score again. Hopefully we don't have trouble finding the end zone and we are able to slow down there attack after half-time adjustments by the coaching staff.

Statistically, unCarolina finished eighth in the country in scoring, averaging a school-record 40.6 points per game. The Tar Heels scored 30 or more points in nine of 12 games, and twice posted more than 60 points, including a school-record 66 against Idaho. unCarolina was 14th in the nation in total offense, averaging a school-record 485.6 yards per game. It marked the fifth consecutive year as a head coach that Fedora’s offense has gained more than 5,000 total yards.
The Tar Heels also excelled on special teams, finishing 10th in net punting and 10th in punt return average. Bernard was second nationally in punt returns and fourth as an all-purpose runner.

My early prediction is we are down at halftime and rally to win the game.

38-31 Gamecocks

Kind of like when Fedora was the head coach at Southern Miss and played us in a season opener at Williams-Brice?
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #18
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

CockyCash: 200
Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

South will be ready for North, I feel, and I wouldn't put too much weight on those numbers UNC put up last year. They no longer have Bernard, so that's a big weapon that's missing. Their QB is pretty good, but, as others have said, UNC didn't exactly face the stiffest competition. This is very similar to what Clemson did last year. I remember hearing James Thurn on WCCP talking about how there would be no way USC would be able to keep Clemson under 30 points. He said, "If Florida State couldn't do it, then you can't." Well, Clemson was held under 30 points 3 times last year, all of which happened to be against SEC teams.

What I'm saying is UNC might have inflated numbers thanks to a softer schedule. In fact, here's their schedule from last year:

Elon - W (62-0)
WF - L (28-27)
Louisville - L (39-34)
ECU - W (27-6)
Idaho - W (66-0)
VT - W (48-34)
Miami - W (18-14)
Duke - L (33-30)
NC State - W (43-35)
GT - L (68-50)
UVA - W (37-13)
Maryland - W (45-38)

Notice I highlighted the opponents UNC's biggest offensive outputs were against. So, while I don't think we have the luxury of looking past any team, I'm relatively underwhelmed by UNC's performance last year.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #19
JBL
3rd and long

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
Kind of like when Fedora was the head coach at Southern Miss and played us in a season opener at Williams-Brice?
Even with all the transition at UnC, he'll have better talent than what he had at S. Miss that year. Fedora went 12-2 the following year at S. Miss. I wouldn't underestimate his ability to get his guys to score points.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #20
BlueEagles06
Two Deep

Male

BlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPitBlueEagles06 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
South will be ready for North, I feel, and I wouldn't put too much weight on those numbers UNC put up last year. They no longer have Bernard, so that's a big weapon that's missing. Their QB is pretty good, but, as others have said, UNC didn't exactly face the stiffest competition. This is very similar to what Clemson did last year. I remember hearing James Thurn on WCCP talking about how there would be no way USC would be able to keep Clemson under 30 points. He said, "If Florida State couldn't do it, then you can't." Well, Clemson was held under 30 points 3 times last year, all of which happened to be against SEC teams.

What I'm saying is UNC might have inflated numbers thanks to a softer schedule. In fact, here's their schedule from last year:

Elon - W (62-0)
WF - L (28-27)
Louisville - L (39-34)
ECU - W (27-6)
Idaho - W (66-0)
VT - W (48-34)
Miami - W (18-14)
Duke - L (33-30)
NC State - W (43-35)
GT - L (68-50)
UVA - W (37-13)
Maryland - W (45-38)

Notice I highlighted the opponents UNC's biggest offensive outputs were against. So, while I don't think we have the luxury of looking past any team, I'm relatively underwhelmed by UNC's performance last year.
The it looks, if they faced any real competition, then they either lost or barely won.