CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TheUniversityofSC
Gamecocks1137
TAFC 5 1981
sanford
Spurticus
markymark550
MWard
WeStill0wnUSC
Lonnie
gamecockgal
Another A&M aggi (1755)
Predict Clemson 2014 (1415)
Green and Lammons (1125)
Asheville/Spartanbur (585)
2016 - Terrance Davi (423)
2016 - Anthony " (350)
It's Cover Two's bda (332)
Nashville (308)
2016 - Dontye Carrie (244)
Dawg DL man arrested (157)
Is it time to switch from
Green and Lammons
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
2014-2015 Men's Non Confe
Another A&M aggie off
2014 ultimate tailgate po
Good Article for those co
SEC Coaches on the Hot Se
2015 - Albert Huggins
2015 - Brandon Sandifer

Old 08-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
Halltj2
Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 200
Halltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot material
Default Winthrop Football

Quote:
Comstock has been asked many times about whether Winthrop should have a football team, she said, and the question needs an answer as soon as possible.

Most people worry about the cost of a football program, Comstock said, but she’s more concerned with how a team would enhance student engagement and meet expectations of Title IX, the federal law that ensures equal opportunity for men and women in school athletics.

“If we decide, as a community, that football is right for Winthrop, then it would be my job to raise the money to launch the program,” she said.
Read more here: http://www.heraldonline.com/2013/08/...#storylink=cpy

What do you think about a Football team for Winthrop?
Halltj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
gamecockjay
Blue Chip

Male

gamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPit
Default Re: Winthrop Football

Cant figure out why they dont have a team. Could recruit in Rock Hill/Charlotte and build a pretty good team.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Personally I think College of Charleston would have more support for one (ticket sales, recruiting draw) but space is the issue down there. And Winthrop probably has a better athletic department.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

I grew up in Rock Hill going to WU sporting events and would consider WU teams my "second" team. My family was pretty active in the booster club there, so I feel pretty confident with what I'll say on this topic. There are a lot of hurdles to them getting football: money (biggest hurdle imo), Title IX, student/community support (the hardcore fans of the athletic teams DON'T want a football team).

Without student and community support, I don't see a reason for them to add football. From 1999-2008, they had one of the best mid-major basketball programs and yet they still weren't able to bring in many fans. It got better towards the end of Marshall's time there, but he was basically pleading with the city and WU students to come to the games. I don't see that being any different for football.
markymark550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockjay View Post
Cant figure out why they dont have a team. Could recruit in Rock Hill/Charlotte and build a pretty good team.
$$$$$$$$
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Halltj2
Gamecock

Male

Halltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
In an impromptu poll of the Winthrop audience on Tuesday, about half the room raised hands to indicate they don’t think the college needs a football team.

The other half expressed mixed opinions, with many raising hands to say they were unsure about football at Winthrop.

The majority of the crowd applauded when Comstock said a marching band would be a component of adding an Eagle football team.
So the crowd didn't seem too thrilled about a football team but seemed stoked about the idea of a marching band. I hope Winthrop doesn't start a football program just to get a marching band lol
Old 08-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
I grew up in Rock Hill going to WU sporting events and would consider WU teams my "second" team. My family was pretty active in the booster club there, so I feel pretty confident with what I'll say on this topic. There are a lot of hurdles to them getting football: money (biggest hurdle imo), Title IX, student/community support (the hardcore fans of the athletic teams DON'T want a football team).

Without student and community support, I don't see a reason for them to add football. From 1999-2008, they had one of the best mid-major basketball programs and yet they still weren't able to bring in many fans. It got better towards the end of Marshall's time there, but he was basically pleading with the city and WU students to come to the games. I don't see that being any different for football.
Your point about attendance is good, but I wonder if it has to do with the fact it was basketball. Football, especially in the south, is king, so maybe people would be more inclined to attend a football game.

As a proud alumnus of Winthrop, I have mixed feelings about the idea. If it helps the school, I'm all for it, but if it brings nothing to the table other than being able to say, "We have a football team," then I'm against it.

Now if my first alma mater, Lander, were to discuss adding football, I think that would be a mistake, at least at this time.

My third alma mater already has a football program, and I understand they are in the discussion to compete for a national championship.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
WE_ARE
Mr. BIG COCK

Male

WE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post
Personally I think College of Charleston would have more support for one (ticket sales, recruiting draw) but space is the issue down there. And Winthrop probably has a better athletic department.
^This
Old 08-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

Go for it...I always wondered why they never had one. Def. would bring money to the school.
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
Your point about attendance is good, but I wonder if it has to do with the fact it was basketball. Football, especially in the south, is king, so maybe people would be more inclined to attend a football game.

As a proud alumnus of Winthrop, I have mixed feelings about the idea. If it helps the school, I'm all for it, but if it brings nothing to the table other than being able to say, "We have a football team," then I'm against it.

Now if my first alma mater, Lander, were to discuss adding football, I think that would be a mistake, at least at this time.

My third alma mater already has a football program, and I understand they are in the discussion to compete for a national championship.
You're right that support would be marginally better because of it being football. However, the community hasn't been terribly interested in supporting the university's athletics, and I don't see that changing much at all. Regardless, they won't have anywhere near the support needed to not hemorrhage money like most FCS programs.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
35-21
Tons-A-Fun

Male

35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly

The big thing for smaller schools like Winthrop and Lander is that they needs to understand that they have to market their teams if they want attendance to go up, no matter the sport. I have lived in Greenwood my entire life, and, when looking for something for my kids and I to go do, I regularly forget that there is a pretty good college hoops team in town.
35-21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #12
Halltj2
Gamecock

Male

Quote:
You're right that support would be marginally better because of it being football. However, the community hasn't been terribly interested in supporting the university's athletics, and I don't see that changing much at all. Regardless, they won't have anywhere near the support needed to not hemorrhage money like most FCS programs.
I don't know...I think it might work. It really depends on the success of the program but like he said football is king.

The Rock Hill/ Northwestern games (prior to South Pointe) used to track pretty decent crowds. I know Northwestern/South Pointe was on ESPN a few years ago for Clowney. I think the area could make it work but it could also be a gigantic flop if they go into it half heartedly.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #13
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halltj2 View Post
I don't know...I think it might work. It really depends on the success of the program but like he said football is king.

The Rock Hill/ Northwestern games (prior to South Pointe) used to track pretty decent crowds. I know Northwestern/South Pointe was on ESPN a few years ago for Clowney. I think the area could make it work but it could also be a gigantic flop if they go into it half heartedly.
The success of high school football in the area isn't a good indicator on how an FCS program would fare imo.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
Halltj2
Gamecock

Male

Quote:
The success of high school football in the area isn't a good indicator on how an FCS program would fare imo.
I agree that is true because the reason for the crowds being so big in the HS scene there is the success of the schools. Ultimately the success of Winthrop's football program would be the same as everywhere else, their success. But the more they are willing to put in the more they will get out. We here know very well how once a program really commits to facilities and whatnot the rest follows.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #15
JNGolf
#PlayInTheNow

Male

CockyCash: 12500000
JNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot material

We wouldn't have to see those "STILL UNDEFEATED" shirts anymore...
JNGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #16
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

I mean, it would be cool and all if Winthrop started a football program. Just don't expect me to pretend to be excited when we start playing them within a few years.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #17
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNGolf View Post
I hate those shirts with a passion.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #18
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

CockyCash: 682
GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNGolf View Post
Damn it! I was about to come on here and make a joke about this.
GoCCUChants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #19
taylorssc
Game MVP

Male

taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post
Don't think the support is there. Saturday morning in Charleston options: half naked women on Folly or Furman v CofC at Patriots Point... I would have never gone to a game when I was a student and I love college football as much as th next guy.

60% of that school are kids from outside the state. If they cared that much about football, they would have gone to a school with a football team.
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #20
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
Don't think the support is there. Saturday morning in Charleston options: half naked women on Folly or Furman v CofC at Patriots Point... I would have never gone to a game when I was a student and I love college football as much as th next guy.

60% of that school are kids from outside the state. If they cared that much about football, they would have gone to a school with a football team.
Valid point. I do however think player wise they could out recruit places like PC, Wofford and probably Coastal just on the draw of the school alone. People love C of C anyone and for so many of my football obsessed friends to end up going there and loving it says a lot. Adding football would only make it better. They also have close to double the enrollment of Wofford.

But of course I don't see either happening anytime soon.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote