CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
trapper82
2000grad
Kaka
Captain9Dragons
carolina_corpsman
spareparts
Spotter22
gAmkok
Pw00132
ESPN is mad that USC (3619)
Vandy, Missouri, Ken (3132)
Mike Davis (2325)
Terrible Officiating (1463)
Cack's Toast of the (1444)
Worse 1st and goal p (1150)
USC -21 and a hook @ (979)
If (big IF) we can w (873)
USC vs Mizzou on CBS (697)
How the top 25 SHOUL (664)
Mike Davis
No Gurley near the goal l
Acock's Wrap Up: Georgia
Terrible Officiating.
Cooper
CockyTalk Football Pickem
4-Star WR opts for soccer
20 of 31 former players s
Brad Guzan
Really excited to visit t

Old 08-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
USC_21
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1676
USC_21 has developed his gaff and talonsUSC_21 has developed his gaff and talonsUSC_21 has developed his gaff and talonsUSC_21 has developed his gaff and talonsUSC_21 has developed his gaff and talonsUSC_21 has developed his gaff and talonsUSC_21 has developed his gaff and talonsUSC_21 has developed his gaff and talonsUSC_21 has developed his gaff and talonsUSC_21 has developed his gaff and talonsUSC_21 has developed his gaff and talons
Default A little worried...(Calling Spurt!)

After all of this crap concerning Clowney and there being no leadership on the team has got me a little worried. Just a week ago everyone was saying how this team is good to go and how everyone has been busting their tails. Now there is no leadership, no work ethic and all of this other stuff that I am hearing from this board. I don't know what to think about this team or their leadership. Can someone please tell me their non biased opinion on whether or not we are going to be OK by August 29th? (Would especially like to hear from Spurt!)

Any ways, I really can not wait any longer for 6:00 p.m. Aug. 29th!

USC_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
CockyInGA
Winning Anyway.

Male

CockyCash: 290
CockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPit
Default Re: A little worried...(Calling Spurt!)

Clowney is fine and will play, leaders are emerging and we have 2 weeks left to go.

We'll be fine.
CockyInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC_21 View Post
After all of this crap concerning Clowney and there being no leadership on the team has got me a little worried. Just a week ago everyone was saying how this team is good to go and how everyone has been busting their tails. Now there is no leadership, no work ethic and all of this other stuff that I am hearing from this board. I don't know what to think about this team or their leadership. Can someone please tell me their non biased opinion on whether or not we are going to be OK by August 29th? (Would especially like to hear from Spurt!)

Come on people. You guys have to be kidding. You are buying into media crap from people that don't even follow the team.

Have you not listened to Spurrier this entire offseason? He has been nothing be positive about Clowney and all of the other players work ethic.

You are taking ONE COMMENT from Spurrier and turning it into something more than it is.

He was pissed when he saw the video of Ellington. That is all it was. Nothing more. In fact, Spurrier has even spent the past two days backtracking and saying it was "his fault" and "he was the dummy."

You guys really need to take a xanax.

If you think this team doesn't have leadership and a good attitude about winning then you aren't really following the team that closely.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

This team has leaders....I would like a couple more guys on defense to step up, but I think we are loaded with leaders on the offensive side of the ball. Thompson, Shaw, Bruce, etc. Clowney and Vic Hampton I feel like carry the torch on the defensive side of the ball. Vic is the rah rah guy, and Clowney is more of the quiet, on the field example.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Bottom line.. If you are worried about this team's attitude and work ethic then you haven't been following them very closely and you certainly haven't been listening to Spurrier during this entire offseason.

That is the simple truth...

Kirk Herbstreet doesn't follow them very closely and that is why he made the comments he made.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

You don't need any Defensive leaders....You have Victor Hampton, Kelcey Quarles and Im sure when Clowney gets in game-mode you will see him amp it up....just my .02 cents
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

We're all gonna die!

Old 08-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
We're all gonna die!

Well yeah, eventually.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
USC_21
Blue Chip

Male

USC_21 has developed his gaff and talonsUSC_21 has developed his gaff and talonsUSC_21 has developed his gaff and talonsUSC_21 has developed his gaff and talonsUSC_21 has developed his gaff and talonsUSC_21 has developed his gaff and talonsUSC_21 has developed his gaff and talonsUSC_21 has developed his gaff and talonsUSC_21 has developed his gaff and talonsUSC_21 has developed his gaff and talonsUSC_21 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
Come on people. You guys have to be kidding. You are buying into media crap from people that don't even follow the team.

Have you not listened to Spurrier this entire offseason? He has been nothing be positive about Clowney and all of the other players work ethic.

You are taking ONE COMMENT from Spurrier and turning it into something more than it is.

He was pissed when he saw the video of Ellington. That is all it was. Nothing more. In fact, Spurrier has even spent the past two days backtracking and saying it was "his fault" and "he was the dummy."

You guys really need to take a xanax.

If you think this team doesn't have leadership and a good attitude about winning then you aren't really following the team that closely.
I really don't care what the media has to say. I was talking about all the people on here saying that now they are worried about this team and the entire season because of Clowney not being a leader and it rubbing off on everybody else. I even seen this from a couple of the long time posters, so it got me a little worried.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
USC_21
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
Bottom line.. If you are worried about this team's attitude and work ethic then you haven't been following them very closely and you certainly haven't been listening to Spurrier during this entire offseason.

That is the simple truth...

Kirk Herbstreet doesn't follow them very closely and that is why he made the comments he made.
I am not worried about the teams work ethic. I was mainly talking about all the stuff people on here were saying about Clowney's behavior or attitude about practice affecting the rest of the team. Like I said in my post above, even some of the long time posters said that it had them worried.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
garnetchicken
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 550
garnetchicken is USC mascot materialgarnetchicken is USC mascot materialgarnetchicken is USC mascot materialgarnetchicken is USC mascot materialgarnetchicken is USC mascot materialgarnetchicken is USC mascot materialgarnetchicken is USC mascot materialgarnetchicken is USC mascot materialgarnetchicken is USC mascot materialgarnetchicken is USC mascot materialgarnetchicken is USC mascot material

I made it down for one practice before it was shut down and they were doing some defensive line drills in front of us.I don't recall which players were up but they didn't do the drill like they were supposed to, so Quarles and Clowney made them go back and do it properly.Clowney seemed to be more vocal than in the past along with Quarles and Hampton.
garnetchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #12
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Anybody wanna trade #7 for #2?

I didn't think so.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
SuperCockMaster
4-Star

Male

SuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPit

Leaders prove themselves, they aren't just declared leaders. I suspect week 1 will show us who steps up to lead this team. Not to mention Shaq is still there to lead the LB corps even if it's off the field.
SuperCockMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #14
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

BlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC_21 View Post

Thanks for starting this thread, I was starting to feel the same way.

And yes, I've been following the team pretty closely.
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #15
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

My biggest concern is that we don't have a true leader on defense. We don't have the guy on defense that's been here long enough to know the in's and out's of the defense, and knows everybody pretty good, who wants to lead by example. <---Key part

We've lost Holloman, Swearinger, and Wilson from last season who were not only the vocal leaders, but the guys who lead by example. Who is going to step up? Not next year but, right now. Who is going to lead by example?

When you find that out, everything will change. Right now we don't have one, and people look up to Clowney. Clowney who admittedly takes plays off, and has been skipping practice by sitting in the locker room. I love JD and everything he's done here but he's not a "lead by example" type of guy.

JJ Marcus and Vic Hampton may have to embrace that role soon.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #16
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Every year about this time SOMETHING comes out of the closed practices
that gets everyone in the fanbase Freekin' and ready to call the season
a wash. Nothing was said in the past couple of days that we haven't heard
before, and it's all been ironed out as Spurrier lighting a fire under some
player's Asses (and rightfully so), and he said today "Ever-thang is cool"
Way too many people have deemed Clowney as "The Franchise" this
season. Our fans are listening the national media too much regarding
Clowney and the majority of the fanbase think that Clowney is A LEADER.
Clowney is a freek of nature as talent goes, He's the best defensive
player we have on this team, and maybe ever had at USC......But his
"leadership" abilities are questionable, and that is why when you hear
"Team Leaders" you don't hear Clowney's name mentioned.

Basically:
In any Good Orgainization, you have three types of people. LEADERS,
FOLLOWERS and Spectators. If you're going to Play Ball, You're a leader
or a follower. There are no Spectators on the field. ....... Either one is
OK as long as you give your best at being a Leader or Follower. ... Clowney
is a follower, Byrd is a follower.......Ellington you may have an issue with
as he should be a Leader and did what he did, but there are other guys
who can assume the role of Leader if Ellington doesn't exhibit the traits.

As long as we have Connor Shaw. As long as we have Dylan Thompson,
as long as we have AJ Cann, Brandon Shell, Chaz Sutton, Kelcy Quarles,
Vic Hampton, Ced Cooper etc.... We Have Leadership. DAMN GOOD
LEADERSHIP.

We'll be fine come gameday, we'll be in Ass Kickin' Mode and we'll take
care of business. PLEASE Chill the next two weeks and don't take
seriously everything you hear coming out of Closed practices.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #17
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHerons View Post
Thanks for starting this thread, I was starting to feel the same way.

And yes, I've been following the team pretty closely.
well you must not have been following closely enough or you are muting out everything Spurrier and the coaches have been saying during the entire offseason.

I guess it is kind of like the people who are still wondering who will start at QB. I shake my head and think "are you listening to ANYTHING the coaches say."

Spurrier has gone out of his way to talk about this team during the offseason and how they work and train the way championship teams do.

And for anyone who thinks we don't have a leader on defense, then I can tell you with 100% certainty that you obviously have not been following Victor Hampton, Chaz Sutton, or Kelcey Quarles very closely in the offseason.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #18
TroubleCock
Blue Chip

Male

TroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his comb

BTW, Just because JC is the best on the team. He doesnt have to be A or The "leader" sometimes the best just perform and dont like leading. Hell a kicker can be the leader if he can hype up influence and motivate the guys and be the kind of person people look up to.

Last edited by TroubleCock; 08-14-2013 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Edit: I do feel QB's should be leader material however. but even some are introverts.
TroubleCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #19
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

Lorenzo Ward's post practice interview from today addresses this, you can find it here:
http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sport...otbl-body.html (start at 1:36 regarding leadership)

Quote:
Reporter: Are you a believer that you need a vocal guy in the secondary, you need somebody who yaps a lot, not necessarily communication, but motivation, and just a talker out there:

Ward: Again, not really. i've been around college teams, been around NFL teams, ya know Ed Reed never talked and he's a great leader for Balitmore, and so I don't you have to have a guy that talks junk. I think you need a guy that's gonna talk gonna talk and communicate where people get lined up.

reporter: Who's taken that role over from DJ?

Ward: Brison. Brison's doing a great job with that. Oh yea, he's been the QB back there getting em lined up, making the proper checks, and uh, getting (((())) to play a lotta football.

Reporter: What's the personality of this group as a whole, this secondary?

Ward: Eh, more laid back. Victor's and outgoing young man so he's goin to be Vic, that's just who he is, but I think the other three are laid back guys, ya know Jimmy, uh, and JJ's . . . . semi-Jimmy. . . I told JJ he likes to start a mess then get away from it. (laughs) So we probably get an even keel; we got 2 guys that don't do a lot of talking other than makin checks and we got 2 guys that like running their trap, so.

Reporter: That's a good balance for you?

Ward: As long as they play good that's all that makes a difference to me.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #20
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleCock View Post
BTW, Just because JC is the best on the team. He doesnt have to be A or The "leader" sometimes the best just perform and dont like leading. Hell a kicker can be the leader if he can hype up influence and motivate the guys and be the kind of person people look up to.
So true. Heck, Spencer Lanning was voted a team captain. The people that do the right things, lead by example, end up being the guys that the players listen too.