CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
3MTA3
JerseyBird
GarnetSwarm1990
rosstheboss
spareparts
Spurticus
ertman420
MWard
bigdog2003
Cunningham wants to (1173)
ESPN article on Clow (775)
Clemson Georgia Game (658)
Fumble party (367)
New Led Zep releases (151)
Dodge NY Auto Show N (146)
Truly Inspiring (133)
2014 garnet and blac (84)
2 tickets for USC vs (8)
Chick Redefines the (0)
The Bama series
Clemson Georgia Game to b
ESPN article on Clowney -
2015 - Davon Durant
2016 - Issac Nauta
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
2015 - Jordan Scarlett -
Softball tops Georgia Sou
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Name a Gamecock

Old 08-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
zikikki
Recruit

Female

CockyCash: 500
zikikki is sharpening his clawszikikki is sharpening his clawszikikki is sharpening his clawszikikki is sharpening his claws
Default One game to rule him on all...

Sorry for the bad LOTR reference...couldn't help myself. I currently have a friend visiting from the Netherlands who knows absolutely nothing about "American football." He is willing to watch one game to let me try to explain the rules. Which game should I use? Of course, I would prefer the Gamecocks to be involved, but I really would like something that will be both fun to watch and easy to educate a novice. I just can't choose...
zikikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material
Default Re: One game to rule him on all...

1998 Daytona 500.

Last year's outback bowl. High Scoring. Excitement. Good defensive plays . Covers alot of what the game is abotu.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
Halltj2
Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 200
Halltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by zikikki View Post
Sorry for the bad LOTR reference...couldn't help myself. I currently have a friend visiting from the Netherlands who knows absolutely nothing about "American football." He is willing to watch one game to let me try to explain the rules. Which game should I use? Of course, I would prefer the Gamecocks to be involved, but I really would like something that will be both fun to watch and easy to educate a novice. I just can't choose...
Halltj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

bigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervous

There is no hope for him, he must be sacrificed to the gods...
Old 08-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
zikikki
Recruit

Female

zikikki is sharpening his clawszikikki is sharpening his clawszikikki is sharpening his clawszikikki is sharpening his claws

Helpful...but he's driven in Europe, so I don't think anything like that would be educational.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Why don't you just stop hanging around dem foreigners? (spits) 'Merica.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
zikikki
Recruit

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
Why don't you just stop hanging around dem foreigners? (spits) 'Merica.
They bring cookies.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
PyroPepper
Star Maker

Male

PyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot material

All your football are belong to us!

PyroPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
zikikki
Recruit

Female

Well, I had kind of hoped for something useful...if it was 2 weeks later, I would have tried to take him to the UNC game.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #10
bryarx
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

Find one of those legends of the NFL videos were the guy with the great voice and symphony music plays and he talks about the grit and come backs and what not. Those memories from my childhood are what make football the end all be all of sports for me.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #11
zikikki
Recruit

Female

Maybe I should play one of the recent Pro Bowls...that would give me plenty of time to explain...
Old 08-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Maybe I should play one of the recent Pro Bowls...that would give me plenty of time to explain...
No pro bowls are terrible, they make american football look like a joke. you could go with the LSU-Bama angle since they are low scoring, dude being from across the pond and probably a soccer fan might like that angle.

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #13
zikikki
Recruit

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
No pro bowls are terrible, they make american football look like a joke. you could go with the LSU-Bama angle since they are low scoring, dude being from across the pond and probably a soccer fan might like that angle.
I know they're terrible...unwatchable without an enormous amount of alcohol in your system...but a bama/lsu might be a good pick

Last edited by zikikki; 08-14-2013 at 02:48 PM. Reason: overestimated pro bowl watchability
Old 08-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
TroubleCock
Blue Chip

Male

TroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his comb

USC vs Bama '10
TroubleCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #15
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleCock View Post
USC vs Bama '10
not bad that game had everything, even a safety

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #16
zikikki
Recruit

Female

I have kind of had the USC/UGA 2011 game in my head after watching some older pump up vids, but it's hard to argue against USC/Bama.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #17
bryarx
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

I'd explain the rules outside of a game, then watch the game, pausing when he had questions. And I would show the Outback bowl, for a few reasons:
-You want a current game with current rules (challenges, replays, etc.)
-You want an exciting game
-You want to show blown calls
-You want to show the Gamecocks
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #18
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
They bring cookies.
If it is hash cookies then let em stay. Otherwise... give him the boot!
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #19
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

I've taken many foreigners to games, and the best thing you can do is:

1. Take them to a tailgate and get them drunk.
2. Find a sexy southern girl to talk to them during the tailgate.
3. Take them to a BIG game and Get to the stadium 25 minutes early.
4. Let them watch the game and ask you questions.
5. After the game. Take them back to the tailgate, and hope they score with said sexy southern girl.

All of this equals football fan for life.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #20
jellafever
BETTER THAN the rest

Male

CockyCash: 1035714
jellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot material

2004 South Carolina-Clemson game