CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Gamecocks1137
U-Dub Gamecock
johnnyb
Cockhornleghorn
GamecockMomSC
2000grad
markymark550
Regalcock
ZenUSC
We Have to Pass (2245)
Rivalry Thoughts and (1673)
Spurrier weekly pres (1492)
This would be awesom (986)
How is Shaq Davidson (812)
McConaughey cast as (583)
Perspective on our g (560)
SEC referees? (427)
Currently 2nd in att (408)
Defense and offense (379)
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
How is Shaq Davidson's re
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
Currently 2nd in attendan
Interesting stat
Why has there been 40 yea
We Have to Pass
SEC referees?
RG3 - Struggles Not Getti

Old 08-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly
Default Question for older Gamecock fans

Was the media hype around George Rogers as big as it was for Clowney?

I'm curious
SirBigSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
casey1313
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
casey1313 has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Question for older Gamecock fans

no.
No interwebs and ESPN was a baby.
casey1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
rolinb1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1310176
rolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot material

different media era...but the hype was growing and pretty big...there were no real sports networks that were as viewed as there are now.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

I am only 24 but I will go ahead and tell you no. With the times we live in with social media and TV/Internet at our fingertips, the media is nearly impossible to avoid.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1313 View Post
no.
No interwebs and ESPN was a baby.
This...mostly what you read in the local papers. But there was some hype, especially when we played UGA with Hershel Walker and we had Big George.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Not even close.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
JBL
3rd and long

Male

JBL has hatched from the shell

For the reasons others have mentioned, no. But, Big George was the talk of college football the year he won the Heisman. I saw nearly every home game George played in his career and he was all over the media that existed back then. They showed a lot of his runs during other nationally televised games on Saturdays and during halftime of NFL games on Sunday. There was nothing better than watching the games waiting on George to bust one for a TD, and he wouldn't disappoint. George played at Southern Cal and the game was shown on local tv in Columbia. He ran hard on those boys and we gave them a helluva fight. We lost, but George had a long run for a TD and practically collapsed afterwards due to exhaustion. They brought him the oxygen tank. He played his heart out that night. George loved being a Gamecock and we loved him.

It was a great time to be a Gamecock.
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
doccock
Super Doc

Male

doccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPit

No on a national level but probably yes if you were in SC.
I was on the medical faculty in Mobile at that time and we barely even got the scores every week.
doc
Old 08-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
JBL
3rd and long

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by doccock View Post
No on a national level but probably yes if you were in SC.
I was on the medical faculty in Mobile at that time and we barely even got the scores every week.
doc
Brings back memories of waiting for the Sports Section in The Sunday Paper to get the low down.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
cockybusiness2
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 461300
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

It was a different time. The School did put on a campaign for Gearge
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
PyroPepper
Star Maker

Male

CockyCash: 200
PyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot material

I remember listeneing to the Heisman win on my car radio, driving down South Beltline from my apartment at the Bayou on the way to work at Easy's. That was a lifetime ago. The world was nothing like it is now. No cell phones or computers. It's a different planet now.

PyroPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #12
rolinb1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1310176
rolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot material

^^Yep...not necessarily a better one either..kind of miss going to the store, vacation or anywhere and you were gone, until you were back. Now it's like I've been calling you for like 20 minutes where have you been.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Everybody "knew" about George Rogers, but no where near the attention
that you see surrounding the bigger name HS players today. Back then
your coaching staff had to actually go out and scout kids instead of
pulling up their Video Highlight clips on YouTube. If you like what you read
and saw during a visit or two, you got game film from the High School
to watch. .... Needless to say Rogers was highly regarded in the southeast
as One of the best RBs of that time. I remember SC had a player that had
gotten a lot of local Attention at the same time Rogers was tearing it up
in Georgia. Carnie Norris from Spartanburg High Actually had some better numbers than George
Rogers his senior season, and when it was announced that South Carolina
had signed George Rogers, and not Carnie Norris, a lot of Gamecock fans
were pretty shocked and upset. The thought was that Norris had more
potential to develop into a top notch Running back and he actually signed
for the Georgia Bulldogs. Norris had a so-so career at UGA, and you all
know how Big George turned out.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #14
uscgrad68
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 616
uscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his combuscgrad68 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBigSpur View Post
Was the media hype around George Rogers as big as it was for Clowney?

I'm curious
I remember the NFL pregame shows would talk about Rogers and show clips of our game. THAT was big.
uscgrad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #15
athenscock2
Blue Chip

Male

athenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talons

What I remember was the "forgotten one". Carlen signed a back from Fort Myers, Fl. in that same class who was equal to George Rogers and Johnnie Wright was as highly regarded in Florida as Rogers was regarded in Georgia. Actually, if memory serves me correctly, and it seldom does these days, Wright was the starting tailback and George was the fullback. In one of the real tragies Wright suffered a serious knee injury and never reached his potential. Believe me, he had tons of potential but injury prevented him from becoming a super star. Seems like there was information out a couple of years ago and Wright had fallen on hard time. Oh, what could have been with Wright and Rogers toting the mail.
athenscock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #16
Dam Racals
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 400
Dam Racals is sharpening his clawsDam Racals is sharpening his clawsDam Racals is sharpening his clawsDam Racals is sharpening his clawsDam Racals is sharpening his claws

we use too listen to Bob Fulton call the games on AM radio. we would get so pumped when he call out big George name.
Dam Racals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #17
Take-a-Knee
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

The Sunday newspaper sports page was cherished back then , often you would buy two or more papers to get the different takes on games .
Take-a-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #18
JBL
3rd and long

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take-a-Knee View Post
The Sunday newspaper sports page was cherished back then , often you would buy two or more papers to get the different takes on games .
and The Greenville News was freaking crap. They couldn't overlook George because everyone knew if he kept getting 100 yards a td, he would win it. Yep, you had to get The State and whatever else paper was available. In my case, it was The Greenville News, cause I grew up in Taylors.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #19
lakemurraycock
Blue Chip

CockyCash: 357
lakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolinb1 View Post
^^Yep...not necessarily a better one either..kind of miss going to the store, vacation or anywhere and you were gone, until you were back. Now it's like I've been calling you for like 20 minutes where have you been.
So you are an older gamecock fan?
lakemurraycock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #20
lauderdalecock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 480
lauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comblauderdalecock is developing his comb

Not even close. As said before the world was totally different back then.

The Carolina vs Georgia game was big hype, Hershel vs George. In those days you could only be on national TV a think 2 times a year. That game tore our hearts out. We had it won and George fumbled. Then as now the Georgia game early was an indicator of how our season would go.

I just graduated and was working in Atlanta that year so I had to put up with the Dawgs.

I drove over to Columbia to watch the So Cal game on TV. George ran over Ronnie Lott for a TD as I recall.

Just moved to Costa Rica and have my office set up in my new house. Hung the print of the #38 uniform that I have had since the day. When you walk into the office there is no doubt what I am about!

Years go fast gang
lauderdalecock is offline   Reply With Quote